Michael Bennett discusses 2015 on NFL Network.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm no longer a fan of this guy off the field.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I am not a fan but I do respect his honesty on the subject. The thing is that he is already being paid in excess of his value. If he wants more then he's got to shut up and earn it on the field. Rack up some double digit QB sacks and then ask for more money. Last season he was good but thing is he was paid like great. He has yet to justify the raise he already received. I hope he does though.

drdiags

Reaction score
I could see where Bennett is having buyer's remorse. Look at the guy from the Bengals, who signed with the Bucs. They cut ties with him a year after he signs a FA contract. It was speculated that Bennett could have gotten more but decided to come back here at a slightly below market deal.

Fast Forward to a year later and he is doing what some teams have shown they would do. I would probably keep it between me and the organization but obviously the agent that helped broker the deal he is now dissatisfied with has decided to go on the offensive.

I don't think he gets what he wants but he should seriously consider firing his agent. And he fell for the okie-doke if he sign back here on emotion then turn-around and let the emotions of a failed repeat attempt have him go back on the getting paid mantra.

This team does not have shrinking violets and though I would rather they stay off social media and not give these media goons their sound bytes, you just have to take the bitter with the sweet.

Everybody is running off at the mouth, it is the new norm. This game has become a male soap opera. Kind of shame to say I follow this thing so religiously. Oh well, I will be dead within the next 20 years. If the world doesn't blow itself up before then.

I feel for my descendants. I blame us technology nuts.

cacksman

Reaction score
Bennett is making himself look like a fool. There is no one out there that thinks Seattle should give this guy more money, one year after signing a sizable multi-year contract.

Even IF he didn't lead the league in DL penalties last year, he wouldn't have a good case for renegotiating.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Watching this video made me sick.

Good player, but he's not funny and his financial comments were tasteless. What a joke

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
The only part that really bothered was when he said "I'm not back just yet"

He's not holding out and he won't hold out, money is the most important thing to him. But the idle threats are annoying.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Let him hold out. Guess who gets 1st team reps.

Frank "the Future" Clark.

Like I said before, Bennett is better off just giving back the last two years of his signing bonus back ($4 m) and renegotiate his deal to become a free agent after this season to try to cash in again. If its such a big deal to him. And maybe the Seahawks are nice enough to give $2 m in performance incentives to guarantee he balls out and for him to take the injury risk.

King Dog

Reaction score
I didn't even listen / read the interview, but why is this guy always talking in the media? Annoying. Would rather have someone go interview Michael and ask him why he can't get on the field :D

Oh, and whatever he said, I don't feel sorry for a guy who SIGNED an 8M a year contract. Sorry.

original poster

Reaction score
Comments like he made have really made me re think how much I like his off the field personality.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
So much negativity this off-season . . . understandable after the way the last season ended.

I didn't see that much wrong with Bennett's comments. He hopes to be one of the league's best (and best paid) players, "some day." I actually found his comments strangely reassuring. I also like that he said some nice things about Jimmy Graham.

I do, however, disagree with him about the decision to not pick up Irvin's fifth-year option being "an insult to the player." The team is working under a constraint called the SALARY CAP. It is amazingly hypocritical for Bennett to, all at once, demand more money for himself than he agreed to just last year AND to be critical of the team's inability to pay a teammate his option salary. The more money that goes to players like Bennett and Wilson, the less will be available for players like Irvin and Wagner.

The team gave Bennett $10 million dollars last season. If he wants to make more than $7.1 million per year in the future, then he is going to need a few double-digit sack seasons on his resume.

netskier

Reaction score
IIRC, didn't Bennett give the team a home town discount under the old rules of no contact renegotiation EARLY in a new contract, and didn't the the team break it's own rules with Marshawn? So what is wrong with Bennett asking for the same treatment as Marshawn? Bennett is merely protesting the double standard.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
netskier":bpg06wks said:
IIRC, didn't Bennett give the team a home town discount under the old rules of no contact renegotiation EARLY in a new contract, and didn't the the team break it's own rules with Marshawn? So what is wrong with Bennett asking for the same treatment as Marshawn? Bennett is merely protesting the double standard.

For there to be a double standard, there must be a standard. There is not a standard, each contract is its own unique beast.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":26i50fk3 said:
So much negativity this off-season . . . understandable after the way the last season ended.

I didn't see that much wrong with Bennett's comments. He hopes to be one of the league's best (and best paid) players, "some day." I actually found his comments strangely reassuring. I also like that he said some nice things about Jimmy Graham.

I do, however, disagree with him about the decision to not pick up Irvin's fifth-year option being "an insult to the player." The team is working under a constraint called the SALARY CAP. It is amazingly hypocritical for Bennett to, all at once, demand more money for himself than he agreed to just last year AND to be critical of the team's inability to pay a teammate his option salary. The more money that goes to players like Bennett and Wilson, the less will be available for players like Irvin and Wagner.

The team gave Bennett $10 million dollars last season. If he wants to make more than $7.1 million per year in the future, then he is going to need a few double-digit sack seasons on his resume.

Nail on the head for me, these are the questions that need to be asked but sports journalism is so utterly wank these days, particularly in the NFL.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
The guy acts like he's playing his ass off for pocket change. GIVE IT A REST! It's sort of infuriating to hear him speak about money like he doesn't have adequate funds to raise his kids. Sorry but I don't feel sorry for him or his situation. The dude has no idea how good he's got it. I really hate how much money and success changes people. No humility whatsoever.

slargent4ever

Reaction score
The struggle to try to get by on his current salary must be tough. I mean he probably is still driving last year's Bentley.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Why do people care about athletes posturing for more money in the off season?

Some are acting personally affronted because Michael Bennett is trying to squeeze more money from the FO. But he's not going door to door asking for change from your kids college funds. I understad the sighs of boredom, but some of the vitriol and self righteous indignity about it is as silly as Bennett's actions.

Who cares. Its May. If he's missing off season work outs or looks even a percentage below his best on game day then you can pull out your super fan cards and start giving him tiny slices on his finger tips.

I just can't be bored any more by this stuff.

kidhawk

Reaction score
drdiags":227q2ll7 said:
I could see where Bennett is having buyer's remorse. Look at the guy from the Bengals, who signed with the Bucs. They cut ties with him a year after he signs a FA contract. It was speculated that Bennett could have gotten more but decided to come back here at a slightly below market deal.

Fast Forward to a year later and he is doing what some teams have shown they would do. I would probably keep it between me and the organization but obviously the agent that helped broker the deal he is now dissatisfied with has decided to go on the offensive.

I don't think he gets what he wants but he should seriously consider firing his agent. And he fell for the okie-doke if he sign back here on emotion then turn-around and let the emotions of a failed repeat attempt have him go back on the getting paid mantra.

This team does not have shrinking violets and though I would rather they stay off social media and not give these media goons their sound bytes, you just have to take the bitter with the sweet.

Everybody is running off at the mouth, it is the new norm. This game has become a male soap opera. Kind of shame to say I follow this thing so religiously. Oh well, I will be dead within the next 20 years. If the world doesn't blow itself up before then.

I feel for my descendants. I blame us technology nuts.

What bothers me most about this is his timing. He's already been guaranteed his salary for this year. He's still playing under the guarantees he signed up for. At the very least he should wait until the contract is no longer guaranteed before trying to re-up. The team has to pay him his salary this year. That kicked in the week after the super bowl. His contract is guaranteed. It's not as if he even has to play a down this season to get paid. At least wait until next season when the guarantees are gone before you start trying to change it.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Uncle Si":399yjicm said:
Why do people care about athletes posturing for more money in the off season?

Some are acting personally affronted because Michael Bennett is trying to squeeze more money from the FO. But he's not going door to door asking for change from your kids college funds. I understad the sighs of boredom, but some of the vitriol and self righteous indignity about it is as silly as Bennett's actions.

Who cares. Its May. If he's missing off season work outs or looks even a percentage below his best on game day then you can pull out your super fan cards and start giving him tiny slices on his finger tips.

I just can't be bored any more by this stuff.

Simply put... because we can.

People are allowed to be bothered by a lack of humility. This is their own feeling to have, not yours. Let them (us) be.

Latest posts