Michael Bennett discusses 2015 on NFL Network.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Diags nailed it. The NFL is a/THE new, cool soap opera.

The only thing that bugs me (and it's only slightly irksome) is that it was scarcely a year ago when Bennett called the Seahawks franchise the "Google of the NFL" (insinuating that the environment is fun, rewarding, and considerate). I believe he took a bit less money than he thought he deserved because he like the environment so much.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":7z8shpq6 said:
SomersetHawk":7z8shpq6 said:
Nail on the head for me, these are the questions that need to be asked but sports journalism is so utterly wank these days, particularly in the NFL.

Alright, Calm down, Elijah Wood from Green Street houligans....

You 'avin a fakin bubble? I ain't taking no Eartha Kitt from a paddy!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JAGHAWK":1n9awwwz said:
Uncle Si":1n9awwwz said:
Why do people care about athletes posturing for more money in the off season?

Some are acting personally affronted because Michael Bennett is trying to squeeze more money from the FO. But he's not going door to door asking for change from your kids college funds. I understad the sighs of boredom, but some of the vitriol and self righteous indignity about it is as silly as Bennett's actions.

Who cares. Its May. If he's missing off season work outs or looks even a percentage below his best on game day then you can pull out your super fan cards and start giving him tiny slices on his finger tips.

I just can't be bored any more by this stuff.

Simply put... because we can.

People are allowed to be bothered by a lack of humility. This is their own feeling to have, not yours. Let them (us) be.

"lack of humility"

Brilliant...

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Uncle Si":z0iy7stf said:
JAGHAWK":z0iy7stf said:
Uncle Si":z0iy7stf said:
Why do people care about athletes posturing for more money in the off season?

Some are acting personally affronted because Michael Bennett is trying to squeeze more money from the FO. But he's not going door to door asking for change from your kids college funds. I understad the sighs of boredom, but some of the vitriol and self righteous indignity about it is as silly as Bennett's actions.

Who cares. Its May. If he's missing off season work outs or looks even a percentage below his best on game day then you can pull out your super fan cards and start giving him tiny slices on his finger tips.

I just can't be bored any more by this stuff.

Simply put... because we can.

People are allowed to be bothered by a lack of humility. This is their own feeling to have, not yours. Let them (us) be.

"lack of humility"

Brilliant...

You don't have to be nasty. Nobody attacked you personally.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1jws0iap said:
The only part that really bothered was when he said "I'm not back just yet"

He's back whether he thinks he is or not..........unless he's dumb enough to hold out in year #2 of a 4 year contract.

I'd be fine with Bennett's comments if he'd be consistent, but it's barely been 12 months since he told everyone to heap praise upon him because he took less money to be on the Hawks because he loved his teammates, coaches and competing for SB's every year.

Now all of a sudden he's unhappy? Whatever, just shut up and play dude.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I don't believe i'm being nasty... people on here are attacking a player, for what constitutes nothing more than the average way in which many pro athletes try and get raises in the off season, non contract years, and apparently under the impression its his lack of humility that is driving him. I find the two actions to be hypocritical. The fact that its May and not August is a point that needs more stressing.

Again, i just want to know why people are so upset by it. "Because they can be" doesn't seem a conscious and rational way to approach something. Even something as inane as a football thread.

Bennett's "actions" come right at the time in which two other major players in this team are due raises. He's lobbying/leveraging. Why is that a problem?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":154o7y31 said:
I don't believe i'm being nasty... people on here are attacking a player, for what constitutes nothing more than the average way in which many pro athletes try and get raises in the off season, non contract years, and apparently under the impression its his lack of humility that is driving him. I find the two actions to be hypocritical. The fact that its May and not August is a point that needs more stressing.

Again, i just want to know why people are so upset by it. "Because they can be" doesn't seem a conscious and rational way to approach something. Even something as inane as a football thread.

Bennett's "actions" come right at the time in which two other major players in this team are due raises. He's lobbying/leveraging. Why is that a problem?

I told you why, Bennett's inconsistent and playing both sides of the fence in order to garner attention............cause that's what the dude loves, attention.

Most of us are fine with Lynch asking for more money each year. Why is that? I'd say because #1 he's earned it, and #2 he's never wavered. I'm one of the top RB's, pay me like one. Most of us are fine with Russell asking for the moon. Why? Because he's never wavered in his desire to be the best, and subsequently get paid like one of the best.

Bennett's all over the road with all this nonsense, and that's what irritates a lot of us.

netskier

Reaction score
What about management being also all over the road with this. Are you equally irritated with them?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
netskier":3nptu4qx said:
What about management being also all over the road with this. Are you equally irritated with them?

How so?

Management negotiated a long term contract last year with Bennett and his agent, end of discussion. I haven't heard one thing out of Pete or John that would be considered irritating with Bennett's contract.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
You told me why? Ok...

Again, who care's what side of the fence he's on. It's not an issue until it effects his play on the field. It's the off season. He's not all over any road except a slow news cycle.

But go on with your faux anger... I just don't see the big deal. Maybe he feels like he gave the Hawks a bargain deal, they're now looking at breaking the bank for the QB, traded for a high priced Tight End and gave a mercurial running back nearing 30 an extension and wants to see if he garners any extra coin? Again, who cares until August. Irvin was on TV saying he's leaving for the Falcons. It's posturing. If Bennett holds out, or starts stirring the pot at training camp, then crucify him (or cut him/trade him). But for now, its a business ploy. He's not waving pictures of PC and Wilson in compromising positions and threatening to expose a child slavery ring inside the Hawks equipment room.

And i'm not sure saying "most of us" in terms of any opinion on here is some sort of asset to your argument.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
I guess, in my opinion, it does affect the team right now. It sets a negative example to the other guys and changes the dynamic of the team as a whole. I just don't agree with the way Bennett and Irvin have handled themselves publicly. I can't say they are wrong or right with their decisions... I just know how I feel about it and that's simply it. It's just one person's opinion. We can like them as players and not necessarily enjoy who they are when they step off the field.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":35jioriq said:
You told me why? Ok...

Again, who care's what side of the fence he's on. It's not an issue until it effects his play on the field. It's the off season. He's not all over any road except a slow news cycle.

But go on with your faux anger... I just don't see the big deal. Maybe he feels like he gave the Hawks a bargain deal, they're now looking at breaking the bank for the QB, traded for a high priced Tight End and gave a mercurial running back nearing 30 an extension and wants to see if he garners any extra coin? Again, who cares until August. Irvin was on TV saying he's leaving for the Falcons. It's posturing. If Bennett holds out, or starts stirring the pot at training camp, then crucify him (or cut him/trade him). But for now, its a business ploy. He's not waving pictures of PC and Wilson in compromising positions and threatening to expose a child slavery ring inside the Hawks equipment room.

And i'm not sure saying "most of us" in terms of any opinion on here is some sort of asset to your argument.

I'd say using "most of us" as a general consensus is not the damning statement you think..............and I'm not faux outraged or angered, just annoyed.

I love the way Bennett plays, and he's a great story. But he fancies himself a far more witty, funny and some sort of truth revealer. When in reality he's just a mildly amusing guy that's immature and let's his emotions get the best of him in the press.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33q81dt1 said:
Uncle Si":33q81dt1 said:
You told me why? Ok...

I'd say using "most of us" as a general consensus is not the damning statement you think..............and I'm not faux outraged or angered, just annoyed.

I love the way Bennett plays, and he's a great story. But he fancies himself a far more witty, funny and some sort of truth revealer. When in reality he's just a mildly amusing guy that's immature and let's his emotions get the best of him in the press.

I don't disagree.. but everything you said is why I don't take him seriously.

Lynch is one thing. Bennett is another. Bennett covets attention, as you said. Those that do that rarely say anything important.

and Jag... i'm not saying it's right, or I agree that either one have some case. I just don't think it's worth getting worked up about... in May.

If Irvin and Bennett are still pining about money in August, its a problem.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
netskier":3ooy3obs said:
IIRC, didn't Bennett give the team a home town discount under the old rules of no contact renegotiation EARLY in a new contract, and didn't the the team break it's own rules with Marshawn? So what is wrong with Bennett asking for the same treatment as Marshawn? Bennett is merely protesting the double standard.

Bennett did not give the team a " home town discount".

He tested the market and got paid what he was worth. Now he wants more than the market thinks he is worth.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
brimsalabim":41ik4y2b said:
netskier":41ik4y2b said:
IIRC, didn't Bennett give the team a home town discount under the old rules of no contact renegotiation EARLY in a new contract, and didn't the the team break it's own rules with Marshawn? So what is wrong with Bennett asking for the same treatment as Marshawn? Bennett is merely protesting the double standard.

He tested the market and got paid what he was worth. Now he wants more than the market thinks he is worth.
This, exactly. Bennett said before FA last year that he wasn't Walmart or Costco and wouldn't be giving the Hawks any kind of discount. Plus his agent is Drew Rosenhaus, there was no discount given to the Hawks. His market wasn't what he thought it should have been.

It's funny though, the Seahawks have been the only team in the NFL to actually value Bennett. Signed him as an UDFA, eventually cutting him where he landed with TB. TB let him walk, and he didn't get the kind of offers he wanted. Signed a one year prove it deal with Seattle, only to not get the type of attention he thought he deserved. Ended up re-signing a long term deal and still complain he's not valued enough.

netskier

Reaction score
To elaborate, here is how management has been "all over the road".

They had a clearly articulated policy that they never renegotiated existing contracts before their last year. This policy applied to all contracts, i.e., no exceptions, no matter who you are. During this period, Bennett signed his contract, giving the team a bit of a discount, for the good of the team, to allow management to retain talent, and obtain more good players, to support the goal of increasing wins.

Then Marshawn said he needed more money. Management said no way; our policy forbids this.

So he held out, and then management caved, saying something like "but only for this year". This was the first swerve on the road.

The next year he said he needed more money, and management said "no way, and we already told you that our policy forbids this, and last years caving was an exception, which is never to be repeated". This was the second swerve, this time to the original side of the road.

So he held out.

And then management caved a second time, the third swerve, this time to the caving side again.

Then they swerved back to their original position; this is the fourth swerve.

So four serves so far, or two swerves with returns, which I think qualifies for "being all over the road". Cops would stop you for just one swerve and return.

Meanwhile, Bennett, who has a great mind, is reading all of this, plus he is talking with the players, and getting lots of inside information, which is giving him reasons to reconsider the [virtual] home town discount which he earlier gave to management.

Then Russell's baseball agent, obviously with Russell's support, demands a baseball-type contract, with no discount whatsoever. Bennett notes this discrepancy too. And thinks about it.

Understanding that he is already on his last contract, he decides that he should consider puling a Marshawn style negotiation tactic to get a little more money while he can. Getting it while the getting is good. It will no longer be good when his contract expires.

I understand that NFL football is a business, and thus have no problem with either management or the players.

I do have a problem understanding why some fans here have a problem with Michael Bennett doing what Marshawn has already done twice. Is it because Bennett is an uppity lineman whose is doing what only backs are allowed to do, or only because Marshawn is consistent with his uppityness? And why can not Bennett do this too? Why is he discriminated against?

Why the double standards?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1x7c1b6x said:
netskier":1x7c1b6x said:

Maybe, there's an argument that if he didn't sign his deal before UFA then he could have gotten more.

But that's a big maybe, Bennett is 29, and in a very unique position on our team, 4-3 interior/exterior lineman that plays best when he's only involved in 60% of the snaps.

Is that worth 12-15M+ a year? My guess is his agent did send out some feelers with other teams and found that no, not really a whole lot of interest in teams knocking down the door to break the bank for Bennett.

IMO this is all about the contract Suh signed + Pete and John not going harder after Martellus.

Hawks46

Reaction score
netskier":32a8vm56 said:
To elaborate, here is how management has been "all over the road".

They had a clearly articulated policy that they never renegotiated existing contracts before their last year. This policy applied to all contracts, i.e., no exceptions, no matter who you are. During this period, Bennett signed his contract, giving the team a bit of a discount, for the good of the team, to allow management to retain talent, and obtain more good players, to support the goal of increasing wins.

Then Marshawn said he needed more money. Management said no way; our policy forbids this.

So he held out, and then management caved, saying something like "but only for this year". This was the first swerve on the road.

The next year he said he needed more money, and management said "no way, and we already told you that our policy forbids this, and last years caving was an exception, which is never to be repeated". This was the second swerve, this time to the original side of the road.

So he held out.

And then management caved a second time, the third swerve, this time to the caving side again.

Then they swerved back to their original position; this is the fourth swerve.

So four serves so far, or two swerves with returns, which I think qualifies for "being all over the road". Cops would stop you for just one swerve and return.

Meanwhile, Bennett, who has a great mind, is reading all of this, plus he is talking with the players, and getting lots of inside information, which is giving him reasons to reconsider the [virtual] home town discount which he earlier gave to management.

Then Russell's baseball agent, obviously with Russell's support, demands a baseball-type contract, with no discount whatsoever. Bennett notes this discrepancy too. And thinks about it.

Understanding that he is already on his last contract, he decides that he should consider puling a Marshawn style negotiation tactic to get a little more money while he can. Getting it while the getting is good. It will no longer be good when his contract expires.

I understand that NFL football is a business, and thus have no problem with either management or the players.

I do have a problem understanding why some fans here have a problem with Michael Bennett doing what Marshawn has already done twice. Is it because Bennett is an uppity lineman whose is doing what only backs are allowed to do, or only because Marshawn is consistent with his uppityness? And why can not Bennett do this too? Why is he discriminated against?

Actually this is mostly, if not entirely, incorrect. Lynch never got more money. The FO forwarded him some money that was due at the end of his contract to the year he was playing in now. Part of Lynch's concern was that the Hawks were going to cut him and he'd lose money that was on his contract now. So the FO front loaded (or forwarded for lack of a better term) money he was owed to the current year.

It wasn't a raise. It wasn't more money. It wasn't a new contract. Lynch was the one that caved on this, or he would've been paying fines which he didn't want to do.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1bln18qj said:
Hawkfan77":1bln18qj said:
The only part that really bothered was when he said "I'm not back just yet"

He's back whether he thinks he is or not..........unless he's dumb enough to hold out in year #2 of a 4 year contract.

I'd be fine with Bennett's comments if he'd be consistent, but it's barely been 12 months since he told everyone to heap praise upon him because he took less money to be on the Hawks because he loved his teammates, coaches and competing for SB's every year.

Now all of a sudden he's unhappy? Whatever, just shut up and play dude.

Any assumption he's holding out from his comments are premature. Is there practice today ? Is anyone supposed to show up tomorrow ? Him saying "I'm not back yet" could simply be saying that no one is required to show up yet. We've had rookie minicamp. We haven't even had voluntary turn outs. So the man is enjoying his time off and saying "i'm not back yet" could merely mean he's not ready to start the season because, well, no one is starting the season yet.

It's probably why we have knee jerk reactions from folks, folks getting snarky at other folks who are getting snarky at players about some social media crap.

Just sounds like to me everyone is cranky that there isn't any fresh football news, and fans are getting sucked into the "media makes crap up and blows stuff out of proportion to get views" trap.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
netskier":18zuxn6k said:

To be fair, people were slinging a ton of mud at Marshawn last offseason when was demanding a new deal. I haven't really noticed a double standard with regard to how people talk about Bennett now versus how they talked about Marshawn last year.

Latest posts