Michael Bennett indicted by Harris County grand jury

BamKam

Reaction score
Chapow":u1yn38y5 said:
BamKam":u1yn38y5 said:
Another one of those issues where both sides are overreacting.

One side is acting like he went up and beat up and elderly handicapped person on purpose.

The other side trying to argue that they shouldn't have a paraplegic security guard... when it was a paraplegic STADIUM WORKER. Even if they weren't does it make it ok for him to shove them aside and injure them? I will never understand people.

Who said anything about it being OK to shove and injure anyone? I sure didn't see that anywhere in this thread.

I didn't specifically say THIS thread.

2_0_6

Reaction score
replicant":4ivvq9n1 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ZackBlatt/status/977272961836158977[/tweet]

"You don't want a bunch of Russell Wilson's in the locker room, sometimes you need some thugs".

HawkGA

Reaction score
original poster":2xggr3g2 said:
The over/under for posts that need to be removed in this thread is 20.

Taking bets now.

What's the current count? Does an edited post count? Looks like we had one of those so far.

HawkGA

Reaction score
2_0_6":jkbf1x1u said:
replicant":jkbf1x1u said:

"You don't want a bunch of Russell Wilson's in the locker room, sometimes you need some thugs".

/thread winner

Chapow

Reaction score
BamKam":2vt44djn said:
Chapow":2vt44djn said:
BamKam":2vt44djn said:

One side is acting like he went up and beat up and elderly handicapped person on purpose.

The other side trying to argue that they shouldn't have a paraplegic security guard... when it was a paraplegic STADIUM WORKER. Even if they weren't does it make it ok for him to shove them aside and injure them? I will never understand people.

Who said anything about it being OK to shove and injure anyone? I sure didn't see that anywhere in this thread.

OK, I'll rephrase.

Who said anything about it being OK to shove and injure anyone?

Questioning whether or not someone is fit to do a certain job is vastly different than saying it's OK to shove and injure that person.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ZackBlatt/status/977274449593602048[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/ZackBlatt/status/977273643758686209[/tweet]

"Morally bankrupt"

Per Acevedo, following the conclusion of the Super Bowl LII game, Bennett allegedly forcibly pushed his way through locked doors at a tunnel that wasn't permissible as access to the general public.

Bennett did not have the proper credentials that would have allowed him field access following the game. He was believed, Acevedo said, to have been drinking alcohol that evening.

Acevedo said that "in an attempt to push his way and force his way into the field" Bennett opened the doors, pushed back one 28-year old female, a male and a 66-year-old paraplegic woman — all members of the stadium's security team, and pushed her and his assault "actually caused injury ... sprain of her shoulder."

Per Acevedo, Bennett's felony charge is related to the assault on the 66-year old woman.

"He is morally bankrupt," Acevedo of Bennett.

Acevedo implored Bennett to turn himself into the Houston authorities.

"We ask Bennett to turn himself in as soon as possible," Acevedo said.

Later, he added: "If we find him on the streets, we’re going to arrest him." --- [urltargetblank]http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2018/03/michael_bennett_indictment.html[/urltargetblank]

GLio14

Reaction score
2_0_6":1zgxticg said:
replicant":1zgxticg said:

Boom. Headshot.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":3cf1d1gy said:
BamKam":3cf1d1gy said:
Chapow":3cf1d1gy said:
BamKam":3cf1d1gy said:

OK, I'll rephrase.

Questioning whether or not someone is fit to do a certain job is vastly different than saying it's OK to shove and injure that person.

The real issue here should have nothing to do with whether or not anyone here believes someone should or shouldn't have any particular job. If Bennett pushed his way past anybody to get onto the field illegally, then the consequences of those actions lie solely on his shoulders. Being a stadium worker isn't exactly a high paying gig. You can't expect everyone in that line of work to have exemplary qualifications. They are not there to stop people from getting on the field, only to direct people to where they should be. In this case, it's being said that Bennett didn't listen to the direction and instead pushed his way through an area he (or perhaps anyone) wasn't allowed. If that is what happened, then that really is on him, not the people there trying to direct him.

Obviously there is a lot of information that is yet to come out, so we shouldn't make our minds up 100% yet, because we don't know every circumstance, but we really shouldn't be calling out the qualifications of people who are just trying to do a job and earn a few bucks.

Personally, I think this is more of a civil matter that should be resolved in civil court, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up there before all is said and done.

I will say though, that I'm glad this is Eagles drama and not Seahawks drama, because even when we don't have actual drama, things are dramatic enough around here

HawkGA

Reaction score
Jville":1ze5g55b said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ZackBlatt/status/977274449593602048[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/ZackBlatt/status/977273643758686209[/tweet]

"Morally bankrupt"

Per Acevedo, following the conclusion of the Super Bowl LII game, Bennett allegedly forcibly pushed his way through locked doors at a tunnel that wasn't permissible as access to the general public.

Bennett did not have the proper credentials that would have allowed him field access following the game. He was believed, Acevedo said, to have been drinking alcohol that evening.

Acevedo said that "in an attempt to push his way and force his way into the field" Bennett opened the doors, pushed back one 28-year old female, a male and a 66-year-old paraplegic woman — all members of the stadium's security team, and pushed her and his assault "actually caused injury ... sprain of her shoulder."

Per Acevedo, Bennett's felony charge is related to the assault on the 66-year old woman.

"He is morally bankrupt," Acevedo of Bennett.

Acevedo implored Bennett to turn himself into the Houston authorities.

"We ask Bennett to turn himself in as soon as possible," Acevedo said.

Later, he added: "If we find him on the streets, we’re going to arrest him." --- [urltargetblank]http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2018/03/michael_bennett_indictment.html[/urltargetblank]

Wait, two women? Did I miss something in the reading?

lobohawk

Reaction score
*MOD EDIT*

I don't know what happened, but it sounds a bit off base for him.

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":k7byaioq said:

There were two women and one male employee who were supposedly who he pushed his way through. The charge is only on the one as she was actually injured. At least that's what the grand jury decided there was enough evidence to go forward with charges on.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
kidhawk":5qoeuvbq said:
Chapow":5qoeuvbq said:
BamKam":5qoeuvbq said:
Chapow":5qoeuvbq said:

OK, I'll rephrase.

The real issue here should have nothing to do with whether or not anyone here believes someone should or shouldn't have any particular job. If Bennett pushed his way past anybody to get onto the field illegally, then the consequences of those actions lie solely on his shoulders. Being a stadium worker isn't exactly a high paying gig. You can't expect everyone in that line of work to have exemplary qualifications. They are not there to stop people from getting on the field, only to direct people to where they should be. In this case, it's being said that Bennett didn't listen to the direction and instead pushed his way through an area he (or perhaps anyone) wasn't allowed. If that is what happened, then that really is on him, not the people there trying to direct him.

Obviously there is a lot of information that is yet to come out, so we shouldn't make our minds up 100% yet, because we don't know every circumstance, but we really shouldn't be calling out the qualifications of people who are just trying to do a job and earn a few bucks.

Personally, I think this is more of a civil matter that should be resolved in civil court, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up there before all is said and done.

I will say though, that I'm glad this is Eagles drama and not Seahawks drama, because even when we don't have actual drama, things are dramatic enough around here

This is not a civil matter...it's criminal. If he was told No and pushed by people causing injury this is an assault. You are right it may end up civil.. after all Bennett could of bought that entire place so he has deep pockets obviously. Hope the worker he injured digs into those pockets and gets at least a bit of his cash. I suspect he will pay them off and avoid prosecution. He will make himself out to be the victim.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":zri23o59 said:
kidhawk":zri23o59 said:
Chapow":zri23o59 said:
BamKam":zri23o59 said:

OK, I'll rephrase.

This is not a civil matter...it's criminal. If he was told No and pushed by people causing injury this is an assault. You are right it may end up civil.. after all Bennett could of bought that entire place so he has deep pockets obviously. Hope the worker he injured digs into those pockets and gets at least a bit of his cash. I suspect he will pay them off and avoid prosecution. He will make himself out to be the victim.

I understand that it's criminal, which is why there's a grand jury involvement. I just have a feeling that it likely won't get to far in criminal proceedings, and knowing there's an injury, I feel no matter what happens criminally, there will be a civil issue to follow.

HawkGA

Reaction score
kidhawk":3d9hh5m5 said:
HawkGA":3d9hh5m5 said:

There were two women and one male employee who were supposedly who he pushed his way through. The charge is only on the one as she was actually injured. At least that's what the grand jury decided there was enough evidence to go forward with charges on.

Just read the snippet that was in the post I quoted. Doh!

Cyrus12

Reaction score
kidhawk":1c1isnna said:
Cyrus12":1c1isnna said:
kidhawk":1c1isnna said:
Chapow":1c1isnna said:
OK, I'll rephrase.

I understand that it's criminal, which is why there's a grand jury involvement. I just have a feeling that it likely won't get to far in criminal proceedings, and knowing there's an injury, I feel no matter what happens criminally, there will be a civil issue to follow.

Definitely! There always is!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
themunn":1nougo87 said:
Injury to the elderly is a felony win a maximum 10 year prison sentence?

That
Is
Mad

I have to say though, you shouldn't be working as a steward to control access if you can be that easily injured. The whole point is surely that you can control access through physical means if needed. Hence why you don't have 66 year old bouncers

Edit: Just read paraplegic too. I'm definitely not saying he deserved it or that MB is not in the wrong, but that is totally the wrong choice of person for the job, as evidence shows
Bennett's a highly paid professional who's job is to force his way past other highly paid huge professional athletes. No event staff should be expected to stand up to him much less an elderly paraplegic woman in a largely ceremonial position. Only a complete imbecile would believe otherwise.

replicant

Reaction score
Chief of Police Art Acevedo spoke at length about the alleged situation. Here’s a recap of what he had to say.

Acevedo said there is no video or photographic evidence of Bennett pushing anyone. He says one officer witnessed the alleged incident take place.
Acevedo said Bennett pushed one male security guard and one female security guard before pushing a 66-year-old black female paraplegic female security guard. He said the officer who tried to detain Bennett had his attention on the elderly woman and lost track of Bennett in the large amount of people who were on the field.
Acevedo claims Bennett said “F*** you” to the officer trying to detain him. He also claims Bennett said “You all must know who I am, I could own this motherf***er.”
Acevedo said he suspects Bennett could have been under the influence of alcohol.
Acevedo said the elderly woman suffered a sprained shoulder.
Acevedo described Bennett as “morally bankrupt” for “putting [his] hands on a little old lady.”
Acevedo called for Bennett to “turn himself in as soon as possible.”
Acevedo said the Houston PD has been in touch with the NFL.
Acevedo said the reason why this indictment came to light 14 months after the alleged incident is because the department had to prioritize their cases.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/201 ... hia-eagles