Michael Bennett reportedly wants around $10 million a year

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
Would love to have him back, but as everybody else already stated, not at that price. I just want this off-season to get rolling to get some of our guys locked up.

KDshouldBeOurMJ

Reaction score
Everyone is overthinking this. It doesnt matter what he wants, it matters what other teams offer compared to our offer. And if it is even close he will stay. As i have heard many analyst state, bennett is more valuable to the seahawks than he is to another team. He may say this isnt Costco but he just wants seattle to know, he wants to stay but its going to take a competitive offer.
The salary cap was raised 7mil, in my eyes 2-3 of that will go on bennett's 5 from last year. Give the other 4 to baldwin.
Use the 7.3 mil freed from Rice and the possible 7 freed from Miller to pay Tate, Mcdonald, give earl another 5 mil on his already 4.5,
I really think we need to pay sherm before some team can offer him 12-14 mil a year and he asks us to match.

Davehawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":w0le6ica said:
Good point from the comments section:

" Remember the Houston game in which he lay motionless on the field and had to be taken away by ambulance. The immediate concern was that he would ever walk again. And yet he came back and was an integral part of the Seahawks world championship. The career of an NFL player is very short. Please don't begrudge him the opportunity to bankroll a little extra money for himself and his family"

I would not begrudge him, I'd wish him well and good luck on his next team. 10M a year is just too much.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":7c99lqzj said:
Michael Silver interviewed, said he talked to a Seahawks source that told him the team feels it's "50/50" they keep Bennett at this stage. Definitely contradicts the language Ian Rapaport used a few weeks ago.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... nchise-tag

This coupled with the franchise tag news means that the FO has a number in mind and will stick to it, a number per year that is presumably below the franchise tag amount.

That's what good teams do. They come up with a number they are willing to pay and then don't move from that number. If the player won't take that, move on. It sucks and it's a bit cold, but that's how you STAY good and don't blow away your cap $$$. You can't pay everyone, especially when you overpay.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Does anyone know that Bennett had a worse year than he did in TB the year prior? The only reason his stock has risen so much is because he was excellent for a SB winning team. The year prior he was excellent for a bad team.

Don't you believe there are many MANY pass rushers who want to play at CLINK with this crowd and LOB in coverage? It's a statistical dream. Justin Tuck is very good against the run as a 4-3 DE, and is also very good inside. If Bennett asks for more than the number we're willing to give, we'll find a way to make it work without him. I really, really want him back though..just saying.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Marvin49":37niymnt said:
kearly":37niymnt said:
Michael Silver interviewed, said he talked to a Seahawks source that told him the team feels it's "50/50" they keep Bennett at this stage. Definitely contradicts the language Ian Rapaport used a few weeks ago.

This coupled with the franchise tag news means that the FO has a number in mind and will stick to it, a number per year that is presumably below the franchise tag amount.

That's what good teams do. They come up with a number they are willing to pay and then don't move from that number. If the player won't take that, move on. It sucks and it's a bit cold, but that's how you STAY good and don't blow away your cap $$$. You can't pay everyone, especially when you overpay.

Exactly... the Cowboys and Redskins are REALLY good at keeping to a number... :roll:

Hawks46

Reaction score
lukerguy":1nbcjsdk said:
Does anyone know that Bennett had a worse year than he did in TB the year prior? The only reason his stock has risen so much is because he was excellent for a SB winning team. The year prior he was excellent for a bad team.

Don't you believe there are many MANY pass rushers who want to play at CLINK with this crowd and LOB in coverage? It's a statistical dream. Justin Tuck is very good against the run as a 4-3 DE, and is also very good inside. If Bennett asks for more than the number we're willing to give, we'll find a way to make it work without him. I really, really want him back though..just saying.

It's interesting that you bring up Tuck, as the Giants have stated they feel it's fair for Tuck to test the market. I think the player comparison is spot on; Tuck had a pretty good year last year after being inconsistent the year before. I think the Giants want to see what the market will dictate on Tuck.

I speculate that Tuck and Bennett will end up setting the market for eachother. They are similar players and Tuck is still in his prime, even if it's the end of it. Bennett isn't too much younger, but like Kearly said...he doesn't have a lot of tread on the tires. Tuck had a better year (63 tckls 11 sacks, 2 FF and 1 INT) but he's one year older so it might average out the same.

It might end up being ironic; Tuck could take less than the Giants are offering to come to an elite defense and winning team like us. Factor in the no state income tax and cost of living and we could offer significantly less than NY and still equal out. That might actually drive Bennet's price down. I can honestly say I'd love to see Tuck on this team in the same role as Bennett if Bennett overprices himself.

Am I the only one thinking that we need to resign Clinton McDonald ? He really came on this year, and if he can maintain that pace for an entire year, even in a rotational role, he's invaluable. He also grades out the same as some of the elite 3 techs in the game.

I'm also intrigued to see what Scruggs looks like coming back. He was just starting to show marked improvement before he got hurt.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
MB did not play as many downs as he did in TB and he was in a scheme that fit his game. This is how I look at it :
He is not all that young but has 5 years or so good years left
He is a 4-3 player. He is of far less value to 3-4 teams
He is very adaptable from DT to DE.
Winning and playing on winning High profile teams is a huge boost to profile and endorsement deals.

I think we do get him back at a decent price after he tests the market. The good teams are pretty much all in the same boat against the cap. If he wants to play for Oakland and similar he could get more. But is that really worth it ?

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Hawks46":28uvsjyp said:
Am I the only one thinking that we need to resign Clinton McDonald ?

by no means good sir.

he came out of nowhere this season (0 sacks in 3 seasons) and in limited snaps he was actually dominant at his position. its not just the sacks, either (5.5) because i remember multiple times he would just impact plays one way or another. hes still young (27) and is just explosive off the ball. truly a revelation this year.

his market outlook actually may be around $2-4 m/yr. if bennett signs elsewhere, mcdonald is indeed a crucial resign, simply in order to maintain the integrity to our interior pass rush next season.

Marvin49

Reaction score
lukerguy":1oetq5nu said:
Marvin49":1oetq5nu said:
kearly":1oetq5nu said:

Exactly... the Cowboys and Redskins are REALLY good at keeping to a number... :roll:

Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing there.

Cowboys and Redskins are nuts when it comes to what they spend on players.

Teams that will not budge? Steelers. Patriots. and yes...49ers. My guess is Seattle will do the same. They are too smart not to

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Marvin49":3py58ift said:
lukerguy":3py58ift said:
Marvin49":3py58ift said:
kearly":3py58ift said:

Teams that will not budge? Steelers. Patriots. and yes...49ers. My guess is Seattle will do the same. They are too smart not to
I totally agree with this. Cowboys and skins are notorious for making poor decisions and overpay.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Marvin49":6p5d4wuv said:
lukerguy":6p5d4wuv said:
Marvin49":6p5d4wuv said:
kearly":6p5d4wuv said:

Agreeing. Was being sarcastic..
The Cowboys and Redskins have terrible cap situations in part because they have no discipline.

Atradees

Reaction score
Definitely agree that overpaying is bad. When you have a system -can you just plug in a hungry tween-er linebacker- defensive end?

lukerguy

Reaction score
I think Seattle is a place that players will come to put up ridiculous 1/2 year prove it deals, and then cash in elsewhere. It also gives players a chance at winning a SB. If we don't re-sign Bennett, I'm sure we'll have one of Allen, M.Johnson, or Tuck as well as a lesser FA.

I really like D.Easley from Florida. He could be a Bennett clone.

Atradees

Reaction score
lukerguy":2ei6e7fn said:
I think Seattle is a place that players will come to put up ridiculous 1/2 year prove it deals, and then cash in elsewhere. It also gives players a chance at winning a SB. If we don't re-sign Bennett, I'm sure we'll have one of Allen, M.Johnson, or Tuck as well as a lesser FA.

I really like D.Easley from Florida. He could be a Bennett clone.

This is good plan. Mega contracts bad.

kearly

Reaction score
I would be upset if we ditched Bennett and drafted Easley. Easley is a misfit at DT in terms of his build, and he's about as polished at being a pass rusher as Aaron Curry was. He also has major injury concerns. Even if Easley does pan out he's going to need several years to develop while somehow staying healthy that whole time. And we don't need to spend high picks on guys who *might* help us a few years from now when we need interior pressure help in 2014.

I like Aaron Donald and maybe he'll be there for the taking, but generally speaking it's damn near impossible to buy an interior pass rush guy with the #32 overall pick. If Bennett does leave I hope JS explores veteran options (Henry Melton, etc) while grabbing more guys like Scruggs and Brooks to develop at the tail end of the draft. Scottemojo mentioned a trade for Karl Klug, which I think is pretty smart as well.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'm not implying that Easley could be entrusted to fit Bennett's exact role, but a combination of a UFA and draft could make sense. I like Donald as well, but Easley's upside is higher. I guess you're right, higher risk/higher reward. No one has a better first step than Easley in this draft.

My #1 hope is we get him re-signed. There are a lot of combinations of contingency plans; however.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Bennett said on Sirius XM NFL Radio with Bruce Murray and Rich Gannon on Monday that all the talks with the Seahawks about a contract have been positive and that he expects them to continue.

“Obviously they want me to be a Seahawk for the rest of my career,” Bennett said, via the Seattle Times. “But everything plays into the numbers. Have to make sure everything is right.”

If things aren’t right with Seattle, Bennett said he’s “not worried about the outcome” of his foray into free agency. He settled for a one-year deal last year, but played a leading role on defense for the Super Bowl champs last season and feels confident that he’ll land a better deal this time around.

Bennett said he’s heard pitches from his brother, but that they’d need to open up their wallet to land him and that he’s “looking forward” to remaining in Seattle.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ee-agency/

Exittium

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1vflxstz said:
Bennett said on Sirius XM NFL Radio with Bruce Murray and Rich Gannon on Monday that all the talks with the Seahawks about a contract have been positive and that he expects them to continue.

“Obviously they want me to be a Seahawk for the rest of my career,” Bennett said, via the Seattle Times. “But everything plays into the numbers. Have to make sure everything is right.”

If things aren’t right with Seattle, Bennett said he’s “not worried about the outcome” of his foray into free agency. He settled for a one-year deal last year, but played a leading role on defense for the Super Bowl champs last season and feels confident that he’ll land a better deal this time around.

Bennett said he’s heard pitches from his brother, but that they’d need to open up their wallet to land him and that he’s “looking forward” to remaining in Seattle.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ee-agency/

See I kind of chuckle when we hear about players wanting to set up their future and lifestyle and wanna be paid. Its even more amusing when they have siblings in in the same sport so their family is very well taken care of regardless. So at this point, I have to wonder how much of it is actually his brother. Granted MB has done nothing but really care about money. Even in the RRR he mentions it alot. But whatever happens, happens and if its good for us great, if not good luck on his future endeavors. Next man Up.