Michael Bennett reportedly wants around $10 million a year

drdiags

Reaction score
Michael Bennett has 3 daughters, so when he talks about taking care of his family, doesn't mean he is trying to take care of moms, pops and siblings. It's just a saying. Someone will pay, maybe just not the Seahawks. Happens sometimes.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Athletes making their financial drama public is growing tiresome for me.

Look, we get it. You need money. Shit-tons of money. But WTH do you want us to do about it? Why drone on and on about it?

"It's business". We understand and accept that, just as you should understand we would prefer you sign for as little as possible. It's business. Deal with your employer and let us know how it goes. In the interim, try to think of something else to talk about.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":30mww4b6 said:

Look, we get it. You need money. Shit-tons of money. But WTH do you want us to do about it? Why drone on and on about it?

"It's business". We understand and accept that, just as you should understand we would prefer you sign for as little as possible. It's business. Deal with your employer and let us know how it goes. In the interim, try to think of something else to talk about.
Yeah, because the athletes are calling press conferences to let us know that they need the money. Their comments are never in response to the questions of the media during league-mandated press interaction.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Ok just stop. He doesn't need 10 million dollars a year to take care of 3 daughters. That is just an insulting statement. Offer him what we can afford with out hurting the team in any way. If he wants to go to play else where for more than that then next man up. We have to do it this way. It's the mantra the team is built on.

drdiags

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1pc4wso3 said:
Ok just stop. He doesn't need 10 million dollars a year to take care of 3 daughters. That is just an insulting statement. Offer him what we can afford with out hurting the team in any way. If he wants to go to play else where for more than that then next man up. We have to do it this way. It's the mantra the team is built on.

Who said he needed $10M to take care of 3 daughters? Someone was trying to say he shouldn't use the phrase "taking care of his family", since his brother was already pulling in a decent contract. Keep up. Maybe they need a new catch phrase, but that is the one athletes use.

But don't tell me that if you had an opportunity to grow a nest egg for your kids that you aren't going to leverage the opportunity. No one is saying the Seahawks have to pay the man what he wants, that is why it is a free market. And as far as getting tired of athletes airing their desire to get paid, how about the reporters stop asking them if they are going to take a hometown discount? Media and fans trying to negotiate for teams makes no sense.

Please take a hometown discount. Thanks. A couple years later, he has to be cut, he should have expected it. Nothing like talking out of both sides of one's mouth.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I think FO has a number in mind and if it does nit fit, they look for other options. Remember people come here to resurrect careers, PC and JS have always thought long term, may be somebody in the team who may be ready for an opportunity and won't cost 10 million. I heard PC say its not about one guy,he went to the extent of saying the team us built where even without Russel, T Jack would still Winn games. So as long as we have money to sustain the core group is what I think the philosophy is. The rest we can always find or coach up.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
volsunghawk":34qkkoke said:
HawkWow":34qkkoke said:

Yeah, because the athletes are calling press conferences to let us know that they need the money. Their comments are never in response to the questions of the media during league-mandated press interaction.

Well, don't point that out because what else are some people going to be self-righteous about otherwise?

lukerguy

Reaction score
Happypuppy":2tuu3xnj said:
MB did not play as many downs as he did in TB and he was in a scheme that fit his game. This is how I look at it :
He is not all that young but has 5 years or so good years left
He is a 4-3 player. He is of far less value to 3-4 teams
He is very adaptable from DT to DE.
Winning and playing on winning High profile teams is a huge boost to profile and endorsement deals.

I think we do get him back at a decent price after he tests the market. The good teams are pretty much all in the same boat against the cap. If he wants to play for Oakland and similar he could get more. But is that really worth it ?

He just admitted here that he didn't have any better year than he did in TB, but the notoriety is different coming from a SB team. He was frustrated last year that he only got a 1 year deal after a great season.

http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/onair/the-furness-show-21901/michael-bennett-talks-contract-12122523

Good listen.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Very interesting that they haven't even made an offer yet. If there's a deal to be done, it's going to be in the next 2-3 days, I'm guessing.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3nhmcqwy said:

Does he need it? No.

But when he's looking at wanting to send 3 daughters to college and pay for 3 weddings down the line, and retiring in Hawaii...getting as much as you can now doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
brimsalabim":18ia14j6 said:

When players say that, do you really believe they mean they need millions to feed, clothe, shelter, and educate their kids? Most of these guys grew up poor...they're in a position to set their family up for generations. I don't blame them one bit for trying to get as much as they can out of their short careers to ensure their family never sees struggle again

warden

Reaction score
10 million a year. I doubt very much that your quality of life would change one bit if that number was only 8 million a year. Now your quality of life would change a lot if your work situation went from a good scene to a poor scene. A winning team to a losing team, Seattle compared to Cleveland, Buffalo. There should be more too this then money. But there are so many outside influences whose priorities are greed, like an agent, family members etc.

Subzero717

Reaction score
When Tate said he wants to take care of his family why is it no big deal. If I could set my kids up and their kids and their kids (you get it) for the rest of their lives who wouldnt jump at that. Some of you guys are fairly unrealistic if you put it in your terms. Would you take a job doing what do for half or 25% less than the guy across the street? Thats not even counting if you feel your better than the other guy. No you wouldnt.

lukerguy

Reaction score
HawkFan72":17on6nsx said:
brimsalabim":17on6nsx said:

Does he need it? No.

But when he's looking at wanting to send 3 daughters to college and pay for 3 weddings down the line, and retiring in Hawaii...getting as much as you can now doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

Let's say his girls go to the finest ivy league schools in the nation, and have $100,000 weddings- you're still looking at less than $700,000.

Over a 5 year contract, 5 million isn't going to change your life.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I'm guessing that a player views their contract as an indication of their ranking, relative to the other players at their position. These guys are generally highly competitive and I'm sure don't like to see inferior players at their position earning more than they do. They work in a multi-billion dollar industry where there is an opportunity available to a select few (almost always on merit) to earn a stackload of cash. Full power to them.

And I'm also sure that many times the decision won't be purely financial. I think there's a decent chance that Bennett re-signs prior to free-agency if he gets an offer from the Seahawks that he likes, even if there is a chance to get more money on the open market. And he may well take a little less to play for the Seahawks than he would for the Raiders. It's unrealistic to expect a Bennett to sign for the Seahawks no questions asked.

The 'feed my family' saying is surely not supposed to be taken literally.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
warden":2s3ccbt7 said:
10 million a year. I doubt very much that your quality of life would change one bit if that number was only 8 million a year. Now your quality of life would change a lot if your work situation went from a good scene to a poor scene. A winning team to a losing team, Seattle compared to Cleveland, Buffalo. There should be more too this then money. But there are so many outside influences whose priorities are greed, like an agent, family members etc.

Some of you guys are over thinking this.

NFL contracts are economics at it's best.......pure supply and demand. Of course no one NEEDS 10M a year to live and support their families. But if the market price for your services is 10M a year, then you take it.

There is no loyalty factor, there is no home town discount.......unless it's go to Buffalo for 10M, and you stay in Seattle for 9.8M, then maybe you give up a little cash to remain on a good team and city over a crappy team and city. But that's about it.

Jville

Reaction score
In Seattle, Michael Bennett is a two down lineman in my eyes.

The franchise number for a 3 down top 5 defensive end is $11.175 million. Two thirds of that is $ 7.550 million.

That's the value number I see for Michael Bennett ............ $7,550,000

HawkWow

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3evq86f8 said:
HawkWow":3evq86f8 said:

OK, how much money do you make? I'm asking, everybody wants to know and like Bennett, you are now apparently painted into a corner with no way out.

Players would never try to make their finances public to pressure FOs by appealing to their fan base...would they? It's all the press and these players are just victims, too stupid to give an appropriate response to an inappropriate question. OK.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":1ffk3xm3 said:
volsunghawk":1ffk3xm3 said:
HawkWow":1ffk3xm3 said:

OK, how much money do you make? I'm asking, everybody wants to know and like Bennett, you are now apparently painted into a corner with no way out.

Players would never try to make their finances public to pressure FOs by appealing to their fan base...would they? It's all the press and these players are just victims, too stupid to give an appropriate response to an inappropriate question. OK.

First off, player contracts are routinely covered by the media, and there are plenty of sites out there that can give you the contract details for just about any player you can think of. So the money they make is already public. So that line of thought is just dumb.

Second, both players and teams play the negotiation game through the media. The media is an active participant in these negotiations. Why should a team come out and say, "Well, we'd love to keep Player X, but we have to consider all the details. Hopefully, we'll get something done"? Does that mean they're appealing to the fan base as well, playing the victim card? Why not just refuse to comment?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with players putting their desires out there, and there's nothing wrong with teams doing the same. It's all part of the negotiation process, and if you can't handle that fact, then I don't know what to tell you.

As for how much I make, unfortunately, there's no public database to pull up specific technical writers' salaries. But I'll agree with Michael Bennett in that I think I should be making around $10 million a year. I've got a family to take care of.