Michael Bennett's penalty on Matt Ryan

lobohawk

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2rmh8rre said:
amill87":2rmh8rre said:
HawkFan72":2rmh8rre said:
However I was only annoyed at seeing the Broncos game and Manning was hit twice in almost exactly the same way with no penalty. That's the only thing that annoyed me.

I only saw one of them but it was clearly different. The defender never came anywhere near Manning's knees. He was on the ground and grabbed him by the ankle and Manning just tripped over.

As shown in my picture, Bennett clearly makes contact on Ryan's knee. And it looks worse in real time.

What? It's almost like you have the plays reversed...

Manning got crushed in the knees, he's getting a MRI today. Look how awkwardly he's falling.

Peyton manning injury 11102013

Manning was actually hit in the back of the thigh and the defender slide down as Manning fell. The knee MRI was a precaution, as his limping was due to the defender landing on his ankle. Can't find the gif, but the pic below shows he wasn't hit in the knee initially.

Peyton manning liuget tackle1

mikeak

Reaction score
lobo - the rule is knee's or BELOW. So ankles would be illegal if the other parts of the rule line up

Twisted - thanks will read about it later when it comes out officially. I am surprised just based on reading the rule and the articles around it but of course that was three years ago

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
mikeak":178dcmln said:
lobo - the rule is knee's or BELOW. So ankles would be illegal if the other parts of the rule line up

Twisted - thanks will read about it later when it comes out officially. I am surprised just based on reading the rule and the articles around it but of course that was three years ago

It was an interesting interview, basically saying it bothers him QB's are treated differently than other players. He understands they are the money makers so to speak, but it still bothers him. He said it's ok for them to chop block him in his knees all game, but can't touch the QB.

He also wouldn't say why Avril was mad at him.

CANHawk

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1q84kbyy said:
mikeak":1q84kbyy said:

It was an interesting interview, basically saying it bothers him QB's are treated differently than other players. He understands they are the money makers so to speak, but it still bothers him. He said it's ok for them to chop block him in his knees all game, but can't touch the QB.

I can totally understand how this would absolutely enrage defensive linemen. It is an outright blatant double standard that basically says their health and safety as D-Linemen is worth less than a quarterback's.

...but that's the reality.

and Avril's mad at Bennett? Since when? Avril horse-collared Ryan. That's stupid no matter how you slice it.

razgriz737

Reaction score
CANHawk":3q9meo9p said:
twisted_steel2":3q9meo9p said:
mikeak":3q9meo9p said:

I can totally understand how this would absolutely enrage defensive linemen. It is an outright blatant double standard that basically says their health and safety as D-Linemen is worth less than a quarterback's.

...but that's the reality.

and Avril's mad at Bennett? Since when? Avril horse-collared Ryan. That's stupid no matter how you slice it.
They got into a heated argument on sidelines last week. I think Bennett said they're all good now though.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The play involving Manning was ruled to be no foul, and the tree is little if no distinction between that play and the play involving Bennett and Ryan. If anything Bennett attempted to form tackle Ryan, there was no unnecessary roughness at all and the call if a correct interpretation of the rules means the no foul call on Manning was wrong or the rule is incapable of reasonable interpretation.

CANHawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":e7b9ecz3 said:
The play involving Manning was ruled to be no foul, and the tree is little if no distinction between that play and the play involving Bennett and Ryan. If anything Bennett attempted to form tackle Ryan, there was no unnecessary roughness at all and the call if a correct interpretation of the rules means the no foul call on Manning was wrong or the rule is incapable of reasonable interpretation.

And therein lies the problem with all these subjective rules that are being injected into the sport. It's wholy dependent on somebody's individual interpretation of the rule. It's kinda bullshit.

In my opinion, these shouldn't necessarily be penalties on the field that have an effect on the outcome of the game, but subject to very heavy fines after the fact after a thorough review by a committee, with the whole thing being subject to an appeal processess. Make it like court! After all, it's not like it's holding or pass interference that is going to have a direct and profound effect on the outcome on the play. Whether he hit him in the knee or hit him in the thigh, buddy's going down either way. Considering the back and forth arguments that get made for and against something like this just on this board, having one guy make that call in real time from whatever angle he so happened to view it at is almost laughable.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
mikeak":qz1m3ho3 said:
OK from the rules and not from what people are thinking the rules are

No defensive player who has an unrestricted path to the quarterback may hit him flagrantly in the area of the knee(s) or below when approaching in any direction.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/protectionofpasser

That ALIGNS with the original comments from my post above. Normal tackle - OK.

That should not have been a penalty. I am not saying there was any bias or that I really fault the officials. I do think there is a lack of understanding of this rule
Completely agree and the non-call on Manning makes it obvious.