Military Football During WW2

RiverDog

Reaction score
One day, just for the hell of it, I decided to do an internet search on my dad, Merlin Morehouse, not exactly a common name even for his time. After going through a couple of links on my nephew who is an MD and was named after my dad, I stumbled onto the below.

My dad was inducted in November of 1944 into the Navy, and at one point, was assigned to a Marine Corps base in Klamath Falls, OR. Dad was a very good athlete, all state halfback in football, ran the 100 yard dash in 10.0 in track. He told me a lot about his time in the service, but he never mentioned that he had played football while he was in, so this search result was a huge surprise to me. One of my good friends, a 30 year career Navy man, was unaware that they had such a robust football program during the war.

Anyhow, I just thought it interesting and worth sharing. In the picture, my dad is on the far left.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Your dad would have been a world record holder in 1944.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
You're right. Still brutally fast!!
And that was on a clay track and in pretty rudimentary cleats. He won first in 5 events in the WA high school regional track meet, which included two relay teams, in 1943, but due to the war, they didn't have a state meet.

Speaking of the 100-yard dash, the best high school athlete I ever saw once ran the 100-yard dash in intramurals in 10.0...in tennis shoes and on grass. I think Bob Hayes ran it in 9.1 or 9.0, but that was a quarter century later in the late 60's with much better equipment and running surfaces.

Last edited: