MMQB: The case for Kenny Easley in the HOF

drdiags

Reaction score
I guess my retort John is how many years was Gayle Sayers "great"? After the knee injury he never was the same "Kansas Comet". I guess we will just agree to disagree. And surely if Namath and Sayers are in, then so should Kenny.

But I don't get to vote and I guess players testimonials mean nothing.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":mzdgl5ox said:
People who say he was great for 7 years are being generous. He was never healthy after his brilliant 1984 season. He missed time the next three seasons and was never the same player. Still great in '85 but in clear decline at a very young age. Really only a hall of fame player for about 2 1/2 seasons, which is why he isn't in.

Thank you. I would love for Easley to get in, but let's be realistic about it. He played in only 95 games . . . Kam (87 games) should surpass that number this season. Kam will need to play at a high level for at least the next three seasons to make himself a surefire contender for the HoF.

drdiags

Reaction score
My quick count of Earl Campbell has him playing 115 games in his career. So what is the magic cut-off number? Gayle Sayers played in 68. Not sure what there is to be realistic about, other than the fact that depends on what your legendary status is on whether you make it into the Hall.

Loved Sayers and he deserves to be in the Hall as a special player. I say that Kenny was the same type of player with the same type of impact. 2 1/2 years of outstanding play for that era seems to be all that is needed. Again based on what I remember of Namath and what I saw growing up with Sayers.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
drdiags":bhw2cnqc said:
My quick count of Earl Campbell has him playing 115 games in his career. So what is the magic cut-off number? Gayle Sayers played in 68. Not sure what there is to be realistic about, other than the fact that depends on what your legendary status is on whether you make it into the Hall.

Loved Sayers and he deserves to be in the Hall as a special player. I say that Kenny was the same type of player with the same type of impact. 2 1/2 years of outstanding play for that era seems to be all that is needed. Again based on what I remember of Namath and what I saw growing up with Sayers.

121 games for Earl Campbell, including playoffs. Kam should be right around there in two or three seasons.

There seems to be more of a sliding scale for RBs than a defensive position like safety. One, because ball carriers get more attention in general. And two, because short careers for RBs are pretty much the norm. Starting safeties are expected to play for 10+ years.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":3iq2pga2 said:
Clayton was just talking about the dearth of Safeties in the HOF the other day. Someone asked him a question about Polamalu and Reed and he said it's hard for them to get in.

I think a lot of it is that people don't see the effects of great safety play. QBs know.

Edit: Reed will get in because of INTs and returns.
That, and having played in a SB sure as hell doesn't hurt, but he had nothing on Kenny Easley.... NOTHING.
Troy Polamalu will likely also get in before all's said and done, and he too had nothing on Easley.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
drdiags":2tezo3h9 said:

Good examples, but unfortunately safeties are much harder to quantify their greatness without stats like RB's can hang their hats on.

It's like Edgar Martinez to me, you don't need stats...........just go ask every player he played against and they'll tell you for a period of time Edgar was the BEST right handed hitter in all of baseball.

Same goes for Easley, every single person said Kenny was the best safety in football when he played, and that includes being compared to guys like Ronnie Lott. That's good enough for me.

irocdave

Reaction score
The really weird connection is that Kam dated Kenny's daughter in HS and Kenny gave him the Alpha male speech that Kam credits for the focus that lead him to the NFL / Hawks.

Strange, just like Red Brant marrying Jacob Greens daughter. It's really strange how the 80's Hawks have had a big impact for the modern iteration of the Hawks.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
irocdave":49tmr9y9 said:
The really weird connection is that Kam dated Kenny's daughter in HS and Kenny gave him the Alpha male speech that Kam credits for the focus that lead him to the NFL / Hawks.

Strange, just like Red Brant marrying Jacob Greens daughter. It's really strange how the 80's Hawks have had a big impact for the modern iteration of the Hawks.
Those are certainly a pair of improbable circumstances.

byau

Reaction score
Oh dang I love Kenny Easley :) He and Largent are tied for my favorite players. He's the first one I ever met, first jersey, first autograph.

I would also say he had the most influence on me. I don't remember the hits, I remember most the stalking in the background and the interceptions. He's the one that almost defined me as a football player (recreationally) because there's nothing I love more than stalking in the background, attempting to read the QB, and going for the interception.

As far as HOF, to be honest, that is more a personal wish - I would love to see him get that recognition. I don't think it's likely for a lot of the previously stated reasons, but that doesn't mean he isn't/wasn't one of the most influential football players around, even if it was for a shortened career.

By the way, Easley jerseys are definitely hard to come by. If you have a bit of money to spare, one just came up on ebay and ends in a few hours.

<3 Kenny Easley

p.s. my .net introduction post has a nice story about my meeting Kenny Easley as a kid. Dude was one scary mf

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t ... 0#p1493519

RiverDog

Reaction score
Kenny Easley was the best defensive player in the league for about 5 or 6 years and still ranks, at least in my mind, one of the best defensive backs of his time and the best safety I've ever seen. Opposing quarterbacks admitted that the first thing they did when they broke the huddle was to look for Easley. That kind of respect reminded me of what Jimmy Brown once said... that during his entire career in both college as well as the pros, there was only one player he ever looked for when the huddle broke, and that player was Sam Huff.

But I do understand why Easley is not in the hall. Longevity means something, and if they let Easley in, there are scores of other deserving candidates that must be re-considered. Not that I'm against admitting more players into the Hall, but the argument can be made that by lowering the bar that it dilutes the quality.

nanomoz

Reaction score
kearly":3g349ght said:
Good article by King. It's a bit of an issue that writers discriminate based on position so heavily in HoF voting. Almost every SB champion going back decades had a pro-bowl caliber safety, yet only one safety has been sent to the Hall of Fame in the last 26 years.

This bears repeating, it's getting overlooked, even in this thread. One safety in twenty-six years. Easley's longevity might not be the biggest problem.

Damn dude. Deron Cherry has barely sniffed the hall either, that's messed up. I hated both he and Steve Atwater growing up, but the AFC West had a string of incredible safeties. Easley, Cherry, Eddie Anderson, and Atwater.