More appropriate term Super Bowl or World Champions?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
By the way, the 2 aren't mutually exclusive. We're the Super Bowl champions any way you slice it. That just also happens to make us CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD.

themunn

Reaction score
sdog1981":3tmlne1u said:
Since few other countries play american rules football. I say world champs. BUT Basketball and Baseball they can not call themselves world champs because they have full pro leagues in other countries.

Yeah but they don't play each other, the MLS champs don't call themselves world champs do they? I mean obviously it's not the same given there's no doubt the NFL is the premier league in the world... but they don't play the other teams so it's not really a 'world' championship.

It's the one thing that's always annoyed me about American sports

Edit:sorry posting from my phone, read your post wrong

themunn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1k7r1x8q said:
Seahawks1983":1k7r1x8q said:
The difference though is that a multi national tournament to decide a champion actually exists, so there is a World Champion.

For the purposes of the NFL, no one else plays it, so the champ is the World Champion.

You could invent your own sport, play it with your buddies, and crown the winner World Champion if you wanted to.
Either way, you're excluding people & countries if you don't have 100% of the countries in the world competing; just different scales.

But all of those countries/clubs have the option to apply for FIFA membership, enter the qualifiers and play in the world cup/world club championship if they make it that far. Just because they don't doesn't mean you can't call it the World Cup. Maybe there's a professional American football team somewhere in China that is way better than every NFL team but how would we ever find out?

minormillikin

Reaction score
"World Champions" does sound sort of weird for a sport that's really only played in a couple countries. That said, it's still true. You don't have to be a US Citizen to play in the NFL. All the best players from the entire world are welcome to get a work-visa and become employees of an NFL team. "World Champion" applies to the MLB for this same reason.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I always felt the World Champion designation should go to a national team rather than a club team.

In soccer, there is something called the Champions League which is for the best club teams in Europe. Technically, the winner, like the Seahawks, could beat any soccer team in the world, no one calls them World Champs.

For the record, there are still American Football teams in Europe and of course the CFL, so although the Seahawks would wipe them, they haven't.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I have always felt that world champions was a little presumptuous. Ya I know we are really the only country besides Canada that plays the game. I doubt that anyone would argue that the NFLs worst team could beat the best team from any other league. I just feel that unless you are actually competing globally then Super Bowl champions really says it all. The NCAA crowns national champions. The NFL crowns Super Bowl champions.

OP
OP
Greenhell

Greenhell

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1ttzk0v6 said:
If I'm a vacuum salesman, but I only sell in the US, and yet I still sell more vacuums than anyone else on the planet, am I the leading vacuum salesman in the world or just the US because that's the only place I do business?

stop being so overly PC. There is nothing ignorant or arrogant about saying you are world champs after winning at the highest level in a sport simply because other countries are unable and/or uninterested in playing.

^ This

Seaswab

Reaction score
This might be the dumbest thread of all time, we are World Champions, deal with it.

Canuckhead

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":38k0au6u said:
I always felt the World Champion designation should go to a national team rather than a club team.

In soccer, there is something called the Champions League which is for the best club teams in Europe. Technically, the winner, like the Seahawks, could beat any soccer team in the world, no one calls them World Champs.

For the record, there are still American Football teams in Europe and of course the CFL, so although the Seahawks would wipe them, they haven't.

Amen.
Love my Hawks and am a STH but come on people. Little respect for the CFL here would be nice. The Grey Cup Championship is over 100 years old, some CFL teams (the Hamilton Tiger Cats and the Toronto Argonauts) trace their origins back as far as 1868, it has no American teams and used to be (pre-70's) on par with the NFL, so can that winner also claim "World Champions" too? Ridiculous. Doesn't matter who you think'd win (I agree Seahawks would crush the Riders), it hasn't and won't happen and therefore hard to be World Champions.
In fact back in the day there were exhibitions between the 2 leagues (played 7 games total). The last game of these played was Aug. 8, 1961 in Hamilton Ont and ended Hamilton Tiger-Cats (CFL) 38, Buffalo Bills 21. Not saying that'd be relevant to today's leagues but interesting nonetheless.
ps There's Arena Football too which is not on the same level but it does exist, is American, and the Hawks haven't beat any of their teams either. Just sayin
Go Hawks!

themunn

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1r18ec91 said:
If I'm a vacuum salesman, but I only sell in the US, and yet I still sell more vacuums than anyone else on the planet, am I the leading vacuum salesman in the world or just the US because that's the only place I do business?

stop being so overly PC. There is nothing ignorant or arrogant about saying you are world champs after winning at the highest level in a sport simply because other countries are unable and/or uninterested in playing.

Quantity is something quantifiable over the entire world though and easy to compare, it doesn't necessarily "champion" your product

Say you sell in the US only, and you sell the most vacuum cleaners in the world, but I sell in Europe, and I sell maybe 80% as much, but for twice the price and have a profit margin 50% larger than yours.

Is your vacuum cleaner the "best in the world"? Maybe. But you can't really compare the two without going head to head.

The UEFA Champions League is the best example of this, the European teams are the best in the world without doubt, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich whoever. When they win the Champions League they've pretty much declared themselves the best team in the world. But NOT World Champions.

Even when NFL Europe was going on - I mean it's obvious that those teams aren't better than the NFL teams, given they're filled with NFL castoffs and youth players looking to gain experience. But without actually competiting against them there's no way to actually prove you're better than them. So how can you declare yourself a World Champion?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
This was recently posted to the Seahawks facebook page. "A new frame adorns the halls of the VMAC." #SuperBowlChamps
Remembering that the topic was bantered about... had to post this pic. So, those who continue to take issue with it will have to take it up with the Seahawks. :laugh:

1186856_10151926899446722_1077445103_n.jpg

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
World Champions. The NFL is the highest level of football in the entire world and we are the best team. It would sound dumb however to claim an MLS team as "World Champion" LOL.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":126050cv said:
The whole 'World Champions' thing gets brought up by every non-NFL fan in the UK.

And to be fair, there's nothing I can say in response.

When only one country plays the sport, you can't boast about being 'world' champions.
One country? There is the CFL and NFL Europe. Any of the best teams there would get killed by us.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
All these angry soccer fans need to chillax. You want to be world champs in this sport, start & support a league in your part of the planet.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2vbixvt6 said:
All these angry soccer fans need to chillax. You want to be world champs in this sport, start & support a league in your part of the planet.
Take it easy on them. They are just venting their frustrations early in preparation for England choking in the World Cup again. For being "their sport" they sure choke on the greatest stage a lot.

CANHawk

Reaction score
History be damned, I think the CFL is ass and shouldn't count in this discussion. But honestly; you aint the world champions of shit until you beat the London SillyNannies!