More appropriate term Super Bowl or World Champions?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
CANHawk":2o9caon0 said:
History be damned, I think the CFL is ass and shouldn't count in this discussion. But honestly; you aint the world champions of shit until you beat the London SillyNannies!
We have this, though. Does it count as beating the Brits into the ground? Perhaps a cup of tea needs to be added to it, as well...

post-30160-Pete-Carroll-pimp-walk-with-to-j75Y.gif

Howie_16

Reaction score
Canuckhead":2kx47x6x said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":2kx47x6x said:
For the record, there are still American Football teams in Europe and of course the CFL, so although the Seahawks would wipe them, they haven't.

Little respect for the CFL here would be nice. The Grey Cup Championship is over 100 years old, some CFL teams (the Hamilton Tiger Cats and the Toronto Argonauts) trace their origins back as far as 1868, it has no American teams and used to be (pre-70's) on par with the NFL, so can that winner also claim "World Champions" too? Ridiculous. I agree Seahawks would crush the Riders, it hasn't and won't happen and therefore hard to be World Champions.

I would love to see the Seahawks get the opportunity to kick the unholy crap out of the evil Saskatchewan Roughriders. I hate that team and their fans more than the 40 Whiners and even more than the Vancouver Cannots! ;)

World Champions is an appropriate title for the Seahawks to use. BTW, did you know that the Calgary Stampeders were the World Champions of Canadian Football for the years 1948, 1971, 1992, 1998, 2001 and 2008?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":10tj9yfk said:
The Seahawks are a regional team in the United States, not a National team, therefore they can't be World Champions. If they were a National team competing with other National teams around the world, then they could call themselves World Champions.

It's only a technicality of course, but the NFL is not even an international game, apart from the Bills being from Canada and the Seahawks being from Egypt.

Americans in general don't get the concept, because the pinnacle level of all of their major sports is played on the National level, not the World level. But like the metric system, that's not the way the rest of the world works. The rest of the world plays in international competitions to determine the World Champs.
Technically, you are probably correct. In practice, I disagree. Take an example that is closer to home for you -- Australian Rules Footy, one of the coolest sports ever. Unless NZ got a team since I last followed it, all the teams who play that sport are in Australia. I would have no heartburn at all with whichever team winning the league championship calling itself the "World Champions" -- so it's not just an American thing. It would be just as true for any national/regional sport, when the teams playing that sport are unquestionable the best in the world at playing it, and the only competition is hypothetical.

For what it's worth, if it was getting tattooed on my body, it would say World Champions. How often does anyone really get a chance to say that?

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Canuckhead":xtkzpzy4 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":xtkzpzy4 said:
I always felt the World Champion designation should go to a national team rather than a club team.

In soccer, there is something called the Champions League which is for the best club teams in Europe. Technically, the winner, like the Seahawks, could beat any soccer team in the world, no one calls them World Champs.

For the record, there are still American Football teams in Europe and of course the CFL, so although the Seahawks would wipe them, they haven't.

Amen.
Love my Hawks and am a STH but come on people. Little respect for the CFL here would be nice. The Grey Cup Championship is over 100 years old, some CFL teams (the Hamilton Tiger Cats and the Toronto Argonauts) trace their origins back as far as 1868, it has no American teams and used to be (pre-70's) on par with the NFL, so can that winner also claim "World Champions" too? Ridiculous. Doesn't matter who you think'd win (I agree Seahawks would crush the Riders), it hasn't and won't happen and therefore hard to be World Champions.
In fact back in the day there were exhibitions between the 2 leagues (played 7 games total). The last game of these played was Aug. 8, 1961 in Hamilton Ont and ended Hamilton Tiger-Cats (CFL) 38, Buffalo Bills 21. Not saying that'd be relevant to today's leagues but interesting nonetheless.
ps There's Arena Football too which is not on the same level but it does exist, is American, and the Hawks haven't beat any of their teams either. Just sayin
Go Hawks!
Uh, not the same field size or rules.