Motivate Kam with $MONEY$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
semiahmoo":nuxvzigy said:
edogg23":nuxvzigy said:
IMO a player is never more motivated then when they are in the last year of a contract. I think we should use that to our advantage and if it ends up costing us in the end by losing him to free agency then at least we get a likely 3rd round pick and an open spot to start getting younger again on D.

Great point and one I would think the Front Office is seriously considering.

Get the best from him for one more year and then see what happens.
He gave us some great seasons, but that time appears about up.

Great points. One more is the fact that as stated earlier in this string of posts, he held out last year for a bit. Let him play out this season and then see what he does to earn the next pay check if anything.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2685eugv said:
semiahmoo":2685eugv said:
edogg23":2685eugv said:
IMO a player is never more motivated then when they are in the last year of a contract. I think we should use that to our advantage and if it ends up costing us in the end by losing him to free agency then at least we get a likely 3rd round pick and an open spot to start getting younger again on D.

Great points. One more is the fact that as stated earlier in this string of posts, he held out last year for a bit. Let him play out this season and then see what he does to earn the next pay check if anything.

YUP.

Joygazm

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1muc3siz said:
Joygazm":1muc3siz said:
In the real world you are not really able to "Hold Out" for a new contract. If someone has to be paid more to correctly do the job they were hired for in the first place that's their issue, and I will replace them with someone who earns their paycheck. People earn more money in the real world by putting in the work, not by being lazy till you get a raise.

The moment we had to give people extra "Incentives" to do the job they were already hired to do I knew the work force was in trouble. No longer is having a paycheck and being able to provide for your family enough, now I need "Extra" reasons to come into work.

lets avoid getting me started on this young generation and their "Me" days off.

Sorry, small business owner rant.
I don't know what world you live in, but in the real world, people that are great at their jobs can absolutely demand more compensation or they'll just walk. Not talking about people being lazy until they get a raise, the discussion was specifically about top-tier people in their respective professions. If you're great at what you do, you always have plenty of options.

Don't pretend that if someone were to increase your salary by a large amount - say, 50% - that you won't work harder. Doesn't mean you were lazy before; but motivating people makes a difference.

Never seen a Doctor not show up to work at the Hospital until hes paid more( See NFL Hold Outs). Sure you can request a raise, and walk if you do not get it at the end of your contract or notice of leaving.

RolandDeschain":1muc3siz said:
Don't pretend that if someone were to increase your salary by a large amount - say, 50% - that you won't work harder. Doesn't mean you were lazy before; but motivating people makes a difference.

Nope, i work like my job is on the line constantly, always have always will. If you are paying me more it is because you value my work, not because you want me to work at a level I already can. My pride and upbringing taught me the value of work. If these guys need more "incentives" then negotiate them in their contracts at the start, not when they need a reminder and more "incentives". These are professional athletes, if they want to be great they will work as hard as they can regardless of "incentives".

I live in this world and I am not a big fan of pretending.

Largent80

Reaction score
If the dude is unhappy, then see ya later and thanks for your service.

I don't give a flying Frig if he's back next year. There are youngsters awaiting the replacement and that is the way it works in sports, when aging happens, it is buh-bye time. He is a unique player, but at some point the Hawks have to say...OK, this has run it's course.

Take a look at your own position at work. Some dude is lurking.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Kam is still under contract and he needs no extra $ to keep him motivated.

Of course he'd like to redo his deal b/c there is no more guaranteed money on it remaining for him. An injury would allow the team to terminate him w/o compensation if the timing was right or wrong as the case may be.

I can see the team redoing his deal like they did with Bennett after this upcoming season but not until then.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
jammerhawk":12ava6gy said:
Kam is still under contract and he needs no extra $ to keep him motivated.

Of course he'd like to redo his deal b/c there is no more guaranteed money on it remaining for him. An injury would allow the team to terminate him w/o compensation if the timing was right or wrong as the case may be.

I can see the team redoing his deal like they did with Bennett after this upcoming season but not until then.

Agreed. If he stays healthy and has a strong season, then he'll get another short-term deal for a final payday. That should be motivation for him to work hard for us this coming year.

Great player who was once perhaps the most feared safety in the league. His time is coming to an end this season, perhaps next - and I'd venture to say his domination in that position might already be done. Our D was a more a product of Earl Thomas and to a slightly lesser extent, Bobby Wagner. Sherman became more distraction than leader, and when Earl went out, our D/secondary was fully exposed by a highly capable Atlanta offense.

My worry is Thomas won't come back the player he was.

Said it before, and it's worth repeating. Our Hawks defense is much older than their collective years due to playing so hard and so dominant for those 3 or so seasons when we were truly feared. That dominance is gone, as is the fear that accompanied it.

We don't need a total overhaul just yet, but we do need some fresh and capable players to inject some hungry youth into the team - the kind of hunger players like Kam, Thomas, and Sherman had 3-5 years ago.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Would let him play out. Then either perhaps non-exclusive tag or let walk for comp pick depending on how he played. 2 more seasons is likely it healthwise. Extension would be a mistake imo.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
semiahmoo":heenlyl0 said:
edogg23":heenlyl0 said:

What's to say he doesn't hold out this season? It is a possibility that Kam and Graham hold out this year.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":y7npo21r said:
semiahmoo":y7npo21r said:
edogg23":y7npo21r said:

What's to say he doesn't hold out this season? It is a possibility that Kam and Graham hold out this year.

If he holds out I say send him away. I don't think he's dumb enough to play that card again, but if he is then good riddance.

As for Graham, I think he's more concerned with the offensive scheme and his place in it vs simply $$$$.

If we can figure out how to use him properly (still haven't done that consistently yet) and he remains healthy, I say extend the big guy for another couple seasons.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Joygazm":285lvlf4 said:
Never seen a Doctor not show up to work at the Hospital until hes paid more( See NFL Hold Outs). Sure you can request a raise, and walk if you do not get it at the end of your contract or notice of leaving.
Doctors, maybe not. Nurses strike all the time, though. Same with teachers and damn near any group of unionized workers in any profession; the vast majority of whom have not worked a FRACTION as hard as even your average BACKUP NFL player has in their lives to get to the point they're at compared to a scrub NFL player that's actually on a regular-season roster.

RolandDeschain":285lvlf4 said:

Nope, i work like my job is on the line constantly, always have always will.
I don't believe you. (Which puts us at an impasse.)
I am not a big fan of pretending.
You just did. No amount of incentive makes any difference to you; yeah, right. You might truly believe that, but that doesn't make it the truth.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
GM said this week an extension for Kam is in the works.

If so, hope Kam can remain healthy and deliver. Not sure he's still capable of being as dominant as he once was, but a solid season relatively injury-free and rolling into the playoffs would work.

Seymour

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1mwmihbz said:
GM said this week an extension for Kam is in the works.

If so, hope Kam can remain healthy and deliver. Not sure he's still capable of being as dominant as he once was, but a solid season relatively injury-free and rolling into the playoffs would work.

Maybe we just need to give like a $20M per year raise to get a 100% effort / born again superstar out of him? :stirthepot: :snack:

The Breh

Reaction score
Kams obv looking out for his future.
He's played as hard and aggressive as anyone who suited up as a Hawk.
With the possibility of him not retiring as a Hawk he's got to leave something in the tank.
We lock in the last of his productive years he may leave us with all he's got left.
Fantastic player and unbelievable to watch and wish him all the best however it works out.
31's the only jersey I got :twisted:

Own The West

Reaction score
Kam's never reached his pre-holdout performance level again. If he wants an extension this year, it had better be team friendly. I will be disappointed if the FO gives him Eric Berry money. He doesn't lift the defense like he once did.

Joygazm

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1e2g3au1 said:
Joygazm":1e2g3au1 said:

Joygazm":1e2g3au1 said:
You just did. No amount of incentive makes any difference to you; yeah, right. You might truly believe that, but that doesn't make it the truth.

No, it puts you at an impasse as my statement remains my statement regardless if you want to believe it or not.

Just telling me my statement is wrong because you feel such, does not really counter my statement. You have an opinion, you disagree with mine. This does not make your opinion correct. I am just giving the point of view of a hard worker, if you feel you need incentives to work to your best level then that is how you feel it needs to work. If somehow me working hard all the time threatens you then that is also not my problem.

Work the way you want to work, just do not be surprised when hard workers laugh at incentives to work.

Regardless, Make Kam play out his contract. No one honors anything anymore. before the "team can cut you" sympathy, they already know that when they sign the contract it's part of the deal since there are no 100% Contracts in the NFL yet.

chris98251

Reaction score
Joygazm":2bmt3tmn said:
RolandDeschain":2bmt3tmn said:

No, it puts you at an impasse as my statement remains my statement regardless if you want to believe it or not.

Just telling me my statement is wrong because you feel such, does not really counter my statement. You have an opinion, you disagree with mine. This does not make your opinion correct. I am just giving the point of view of a hard worker, if you feel you need incentives to work to your best level then that is how you feel it needs to work. If somehow me working hard all the time threatens you then that is also not my problem.

Work the way you want to work, just do not be surprised when hard workers laugh at incentives to work.

Regardless, Make Kam play out his contract. No one honors anything anymore. before the "team can cut you" sympathy, they already know that when they sign the contract it's part of the deal since there are no 100% Contracts in the NFL yet.

Do you get paid for showing up at the place you do every day? That's incentives.

Although being such a hard worker you would do it for free I suppose.

Joygazm

Reaction score
chris98251":tdj15y5i said:
Joygazm":tdj15y5i said:
RolandDeschain":tdj15y5i said:

Do you get paid for showing up at the place you do every day? That's incentives.

Although being such a hard worker you would do it for free I suppose.

If you read the priors I am a small business owner. So yes I work hard and have had to for free before. If showing up every day to be paid is incentive enough, then so should it be for Kam. I guess we are in agreement here.

You can suppose all you want, last time I checked supposing something doesn't mean squat. You can feel and suppose as much as you want, these pseudo attacks on my character change my opinion naught.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think your being disingenuous, nobody works for free unless it's a volunteer organization or some type of apprenticeship or training, even then the incentive is to promote those learned skills into a trade or a income of some sort. In the case of a small business owner your putting time in to build the business to a profit level and grow it for a better income. The end is still more money and improved lifestyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts