Much rather have Tate then Harvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":32aq6oyz said:
How is it not close ?? Football is about consistency as well as production .

Tate's consistency far outwieghs Harvins production. IMHO
well then...so Baldwin >Tate>Harvin

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Tate isn't consistent at all. Tate doesn't pull coverage off of other guys to open them up for big plays. You can't run a Jet sweep with Tate and put the fear of God in your opponent.

Harvin is game planned for. Tate is covered by whichever corner is on that side. There is a MASSIVE difference.

This might be the best Harvin thread yet. I love the 3 picks stuff. The first rounder is Harvin, essentially. The 7th rounder last year? Cmon. Who cares? So an extra 3rd for a top 5 playmaker in the NFL. I don't look at the salary at all. This front office has salary cap scenarios laid out and if they say they can afford to have him taking up that much cap, it's good enough for me.

I would have thought the Super Bowl proved why he's so elite, but I guess some people can't evaluate the players they watch. It's cool guys, uneducated posts are what keep this forum going.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Tate isn't near the player Harvin is, but oh well. It's all a matter of opinion.
Might be time to move on from Tater.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
OP is entitled to his opinion.

But speculation about future health is kind of dumb. We know who has and has not been healthy, but forecasting who will be healthy next year when they have no history of chronic knee issue or the like is in the realm of foolish.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
mjwhitay":lkqsc5y9 said:
Tate isn't consistent at all. Tate doesn't pull coverage off of other guys to open them up for big plays. You can't run a Jet sweep with Tate and put the fear of God in your opponent.

Harvin is game planned for. Tate is covered by whichever corner is on that side. There is a MASSIVE difference.

This might be the best Harvin thread yet. I love the 3 picks stuff. The first rounder is Harvin, essentially. The 7th rounder last year? Cmon. Who cares? So an extra 3rd for a top 5 playmaker in the NFL. I don't look at the salary at all. This front office has salary cap scenarios laid out and if they say they can afford to have him taking up that much cap, it's good enough for me.

I would have thought the Super Bowl proved why he's so elite, but I guess some people can't evaluate the players they watch. It's cool guys, uneducated posts are what keep this forum going.
Uhh wrong. We gave a first, a third, and a seventh. Thats three picks we could have had plus Tate and still about 4 or 5 million in cap room. It takes some real reality warping to say it only cost a third.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Natethegreat":25d43xks said:
mjwhitay":25d43xks said:

Uhh wrong. We gave a first, a third, and a seventh. Thats three picks we could have had plus Tate and still about 4 or 5 million in cap room. It takes some real reality warping to say it only cost a third.

Well, the first round pick was Harvin. Or the third. Or the 7th. However you want to spin it, Harvin is one of those three picks.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":tr3lid0c said:
mjwhitay":tr3lid0c said:

Assuming Tate would have wanted to stay in a system where running the ball was the primary goal and the defense got all the accolades.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
volsunghawk":14d4d7l7 said:
Natethegreat":14d4d7l7 said:
mjwhitay":14d4d7l7 said:

Assuming Tate would have wanted to stay in a system where running the ball was the primary goal and the defense got all the accolades.
Tate wanted to stay that was pretty obvious. We couldn't make an offer comparable to what Detroit gave(and Harvin is a big reason why).

mistaowen

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2i711fxb said:
mjwhitay":2i711fxb said:

Or, we drafted Harvin with our first overall pick, traded a third to get that pick, and our 7th round draft pick was cut in preseason. Do you honestly feel that Tate is a better player than Harvin? No speculation about future injuries since he will be coming into this season the healthiest he has been in two years. If you do, then I don't have anything else to say.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
All I know is that in the SB Harvin didn't catch one single pass down the field, yet mysteriously the Broncos safeties felt the need to double him every time he ran deep. It was like his home run potential opened the field up for everyone.

I love Tate, but it's rare that teams give him that same respect.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":13w0ymhn said:
volsunghawk":13w0ymhn said:
Natethegreat":13w0ymhn said:

Tate wanted to stay that was pretty obvious. We couldn't make an offer comparable to what Detroit gave(and Harvin is a big reason why).

Is that why he complained about the system after leaving for Detroit?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Tate better than Harvin???He didn't show anything that says that at all..I don't know what the people that believe that have been smoking..It is clear the FO believes in Angry Doug and I see it that way too..

Natethegreat

Reaction score
This is reality. We gave a first, third, and seventh pick plus a massive contract which cost us the ability to re-sign Tate. We gave up four players, one a proven quality player in Tate for a guy who has hardly played. The fantasy of Harvin is strong here it seems. I hope Harvin can stay healthy next year but its doubtful in my mind. Even if he does I'm not sure if its worth it.
I'll be rooting that he stays healthy and has a positive impact but I do think the trade was a mistake.

Xarbx425

Reaction score
With all due respect to the OP... this is hogwash! Harvin is way better than Tate - we'll know for sure at the end of the season. Don't get me wrong. I would have liked to have kept both, but if it had to be one or the other, I pick Harvin 100/100 times.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1lpt8x06 said:
Between not passing much in the first place and having arguably the blandest formation habits of any team in the league, I'd say there are legitimate reasons to not care for our offense if you are a WR.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Stop drowning everyone with your tears of epic sadness.

Tate is not a player that scares anyone. No one ever talks about putting a number 1 CB on him and following him around, or safeties cheating to his side etc. He isn't as versatile, either. He is a good complementary player. If you can't understand the Harvin effect, then watch more games with him in it. Better yet, wait a little bit and watch the next season unfold.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sooo....we gave up a first and a 3rd....picked up a diamond in the ruff 7th (Harvin) and will someday see some success out of it. Maybe even a superbowl win???

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I am going to give Harvin a pass on 2013. The guy had hip surgery, period. He came into a game too early and it cost him. The fact that he was even available for the Super Bowl was amazing.

No camp, no preseason, the guy came in after being out over a year and made some spectacular plays. He will be far more productive than Tate when he has that opportunity.

If I could have either, I am taking Harvin every time. He has hands that we fans have not had many opportunities to see. Bevell deployed him more as a runner against a defense that was set on stopping Lunch and it worked. I say let it play out and I firmly believe that the team won't regret it.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2dtx5k03 said:
volsunghawk":2dtx5k03 said:
Between not passing much in the first place and having arguably the blandest formation habits of any team in the league, I'd say there are legitimate reasons to not care for our offense if you are a WR.

Which is why I asked the question about assuming that we would re-sign Tate if the Harvin trade didn't happen. I think unless/until the Seattle offense opens up the passing game more, we're not going to be a primo destination for FA WRs. And we're going to have to rely on young, hungry guys who want to prove themselves or big contracts for special playmakers (e.g., Harvin). Guys who are in the middle ground - have proven themselves to a degree and are looking for a bigger deal, but aren't the level of offensive weapon that a guy like Harvin is - are usually going to look elsewhere. I think Baldwin probably heads on out of town after next season unless the Hawks manage to lock him down during this season, because he's in a similar situation.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2s1lk3xh said:
Natethegreat":2s1lk3xh said:
mjwhitay":2s1lk3xh said:

Well, the first round pick was Harvin. Or the third. Or the 7th. However you want to spin it, Harvin is one of those three picks.
No, Harvin is Tate in this discussion. Keep Tate because you didn't pay Harvin, save a bunch of money AND have all three picks. It's not rocket science, well, except for some obviously. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts