Much rather have Tate then Harvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subzero717

Reaction score
In the Minn game Harvins first of the year, I would say it was pretty obvious that Harvin was Wilsons favorite reciever on the field. That was their first game together. Thats my opinion but for me at least it was very obvious. He made throws to Harvin I dont rememeber him ever attempting to Tate. Just my take on it.

CANHawk

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1p9umirr said:
I am going to give Harvin a pass on 2013. The guy had hip surgery, period. He came into a game too early and it cost him. The fact that he was even available for the Super Bowl was amazing.

No camp, no preseason, the guy came in after being out over a year and made some spectacular plays. He will be far more productive than Tate when he has that opportunity.

If I could have either, I am taking Harvin every time. He has hands that we fans have not had many opportunities to see. Bevell deployed him more as a runner against a defense that was set on stopping Lunch and it worked. I say let it play out and I firmly believe that the team won't regret it.

^Exactly. Short of a nice outing against Minny, a few reps against NO and a phenomenal Super Bowl, we haven't really seen the ROE on the Harvin trade yet. But in reality, we probably shouldn't have seen ANYTHING from him last year. A lot of players wouldn't have been able to play in the same season as having that surgery and a lot (most) teams likely would have IR'd him. Consider what we saw out of him in 2013 a sneak peek. The feature presentation begins in 2014, and it's going to be amazeballs.

Yes you can make the argument that Tate plus 3 other guys (one of which might have been Patterson) is a better investment than 1 Harvin, but Harvin is a massive game changer. He tilts the field like few others can and that is a big deal for our FO and coach.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
There is no comparison between the two when healthy. Period. They aren't even on the same level for comparison. Percy Harvin when healthy is a top-10 player in the NFL. Dude didn't play for an entire year, and made another NFL team look like a high school team on a kick-off.

So I agree that Tate has proved durable in the past - but that is no guarantee of future health. Everyone's knees/hips are the same. IMHO, Harvin showed ample toughness in the New Orleans game.

Moreover, this thread is like rating a draft pick after his first year, where he was injured.

Harvin is signed for 5 more years and is only turning 26 this year. So maybe we can wait until he is 30 to judge the trade. With the salary cap rising - I think this trade will look amazing in retrospect. Besides - we only have to keep him for one more year before the contract becomes VERY team friendly.

Lastly, putting the nail in the coffin of a Super Bowl win will always put a smile on my face to the same extent as Beastquake. Both points meant that to me anyway, no matter what they did after that - the trades were worth it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Knock yourself out:

Tate:

58 games. 165 catches. 2195 yards. 13.3 avg. 15 TDs. 69 rushing yards

Harvin: 55 games, 281 catches, 3319 yards, 11.8 avg., 20 TDs, 107 rushing attempts for 683 yards and 4 TDS

the return stats won't help the Tate argument.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Per unnamed but highly influential source, this is how NFL defensive coordinators believe PH stacks up against the rest of the Seahawk receivers.

[youtube]BaqIALamCz8[/youtube]

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
What about all the big games in which Tate was put on lockdown by a good DB and did next to nothing in the pass game? All the YAC skills in the world don't mean squat if you can't get open to catch the ball when the team needs it most. Harvin can get open and gives you YAC. But I will agree that one of the very best things about Tate was that he never got hurt. Lets hope we have healthy guys next season to replace him.

HawkStar22

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":q5yr4pyc said:
The more I think about it the more sick I get .

Tate is better then Harvin . I know Harvin is more explosive and blah blah blah . The guy just can't stay healthy .
Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made .

Just imagine for a moment that we had Tate for 5/31m and Cordelle Patterson on the rookie pay scale . We would still have 7m a year in cap room to extend the likes of Sherman/Thomas/Wilson/Wright/Wagner/Okung and the list goes on .

In stead we have a player who many of you think will stay healthy. What.A.Joke. I really wish it were true but he just can't . Did Tate ever get hurt ? Did Tate break many tackles ? Did Tate basically Catch everything ? Yes.

I hated the trade a year ago and I hate it more so now . I love John Schnieder to death but I have a feeling he would agree with me . I like everything we did this offseason including not resigning Tate .. But only because we have soo much money tied up into Harvin

EastCoastHawksFan, The rest of this post is edited for attacking the poster, learn from it! chris98251

drrew

Reaction score
I think you can make a case that the production and cap space taken up by Golden is more valuable that the value and cap space taken up by Percy.

The difference in their cap numbers over the next 5 years is $31.45m.

Would you rather have Golden Tate and Cliff Avril for an extra four years or Percy Harvin
How about Golden Tate and Bobby Wagner or Percy Harvin?

That's really the decision you're making. The claim can be made that Percy is such an athletic freak of a talent that yes, he is worth it, but because his salary is so astronomical (3rd highest in league) it's not a slam dunk case of just comparing his skill set to Golden.

chrispy

Reaction score
I don't think the OP is saying side-by-side the two players are equal or Tate is better. I think the argument is that he doesn't expect Harvin to be able to contribute because of his history of injuries.

With that in mind, it's obviously a gamble. It's a gamble on every player but moreso with one that has seen a number of injuries and missed significant time. Harvin was knocked out by the Saints D. So it's fair to question how he'll do against the 9rs, Cards and Rams 2x/yr. That's no dig on the Saints D. They were good last year but I think we can expect some hard hitting in-Division this year.

Waiting to see whether Harvin stays relatively healthy and contributes or he gets hurt and misses time is the only way to solve the argument.

Interesting relevant question
If you were asked, when they made the trade:

Would you make the trade if I told you the Hawks would win the Superbowl with Harvin or
pass on the trade not knowing if they'd win without him.

Then what would you say?

kobebryant

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":4syzl5fd said:

Tate is better then Harvin . I know Harvin is more explosive and blah blah blah . The guy just can't stay healthy .

Just imagine for a moment that we had Tate for 5/31m and Cordelle Patterson on the rookie pay scale . We would still have 7m a year in cap room to extend the likes of Sherman/Thomas/Wilson/Wright/Wagner/Okung and the list goes on .

In stead we have a player who many of you think will stay healthy. What.A.Joke. I really wish it were true but he just can't . Did Tate ever get hurt ? Did Tate break many tackles ? Did Tate basically Catch everything ? Yes.

I hated the trade a year ago and I hate it more so now . I love John Schnieder to death but I have a feeling he would agree with me . I like everything we did this offseason including not resigning Tate .. But only because we have soo much money tied up into Harvin

ugh. Why in the world would the Hawks sign Tate for 5/31m ? He isn't worth anywhere near that to the Hawks in a run heavy offense.

Just because you have cap space doesn't mean you start overvaluing guys - that's what bad teams do.

Seaswab

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":1ghyfkic said:

In Tate's first two years he was hurt a few times how soon we forget. Harvin was coming back from a serious hip surgery. Doesnt mean you can predict the future and say he is always going to be hurt.

KK84

Reaction score
Harvin tilts the field the moment he steps on it. I loved what Tate brought us, but dear god this is lunacy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Obviously Golden's a more durable dependable player, but to say you'd rather have him over the most dynamic dangerous player in the NFL is crazy.

The jury's still out on Harvin. If he stays healthy next year, he should have 12 TD's and 1,500 all purpose yards........that's more than Tate could ever dream of producing. If he gets hurt again? Then his ass is going to have to restructure to stay on this team. Cause there's no way in hell Pete and John continue to pay him his ridiculous salary to lay on the trainer's table for another 14 games.

ManBunts

Reaction score
I get the argument, but it's a retrospective one only and that's the shortcoming. Yes, of course Tate was more valuable last year. He had a career year. Harvin had one also...for games missed. You can't make performance per dollar argument yet because Harvin's one year into his contract. You're quitting the Indy 500 after losing the first lap. If we're going to do apples and apples, let's pick their best seasons thus far and compare:

In Tate's best year, 2013, he had a total of 1571 yards, including receiving, rushing, kickoff and punt returns. Only 5 TDs, all on receiving. None on returns.

In Harvin's best year, 2011, he had 1832 yards, with 9 TDs, from a mix of receiving, rushing and kick returns.

I should note that in 2010 he actually had more cumulative yards because he had a freakish 933 return yards alone. His rookie year he had 1156 return yards. Both those years he had 40+ returns, and 24+ of them were for over 20 yards.

What's more, you can't simply look at player stats alone. Look at players around them. In the Super Bowl game, look what having Harvin on the field did to open up the game for guys like Kearse and Baldwin. He's so much more deadly in so many more ways.

I'm not dogging Tate, good player and he'll do well in Detroit I think, but for the very reason that the guys here will do better with Harvin playing: there's a #1 to take the heat, while the #2 pick the secondary apart with the holes created by the threat of that #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts