My early draft crush: Maxx Williams (TE)

pehawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1r8gqsri said:
Not seen him make a single bad play in three games. No bad snap.

Doesn't drop passes, executes his blocks, flashes the big plays. There's an awful lot to like here.

Judging his stock is incredibly difficult. Minnesota's run heavy offense doesn't help matters because you're left wondering what he could be in a more open and balanced scheme. How much of an athlete is he? Again it's not obvious. The spectacular plays hint at underrated athleticism, but overall on tape you wouldn't say he's faster than the average TE. He doesn't have amazing size at around 6-4 and 250lbs. Nobody will mistake him for a Gronk or Graham. He's very much of the Zach Miller style rather than the freakish modern day TE.

He got a third round grade from the draft committee and that's usually a conservative estimate. So he's probably a second rounder. With a good combine he could sneak into the first but he'd need to perform well there.

Easy prospect to like. Just doesn't make bad plays, very reliable with the ability to make big plays too. I suspect wherever he goes he'll provide a solid if not always spectacular long term TE option. Very coachable and doesn't even turn 21 until just before the draft.

Alright god damn it, now I'm excited. Good write up.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":30gult9z said:
theENGLISHseahawk":30gult9z said:

Doesn't drop passes, executes his blocks, flashes the big plays. There's an awful lot to like here.

Judging his stock is incredibly difficult. Minnesota's run heavy offense doesn't help matters because you're left wondering what he could be in a more open and balanced scheme. How much of an athlete is he? Again it's not obvious. The spectacular plays hint at underrated athleticism, but overall on tape you wouldn't say he's faster than the average TE. He doesn't have amazing size at around 6-4 and 250lbs. Nobody will mistake him for a Gronk or Graham. He's very much of the Zach Miller style rather than the freakish modern day TE.

He got a third round grade from the draft committee and that's usually a conservative estimate. So he's probably a second rounder. With a good combine he could sneak into the first but he'd need to perform well there.

Easy prospect to like. Just doesn't make bad plays, very reliable with the ability to make big plays too. I suspect wherever he goes he'll provide a solid if not always spectacular long term TE option. Very coachable and doesn't even turn 21 until just before the draft.

Alright god damn it, now I'm excited. Good write up.

Now I'm gonna make you wet...he's a ginger who paints his face like John Randle.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3655j75p said:

Great thoughts, Rob. A correction to your post, Williams actually received a 2nd round grade from the advisory committee.

EDIT: Interview by Williams confirms he was given a "conservative" 3rd round grade, so ignore the above link.

I like the comparison to Zach Miller. He makes impact plays in the running game much like Miller, but I see Williams as the smoother and more fluid athlete which allows him to be showcased besides the regular "Y" tight end spot and as more of a matchup threat than Miller has ever been.

It will be interesting to see how he performs at the combine. They way the Gophers coaches used him in the slot, on the outside, and even in the screen game suggests they saw him a better athlete than its limited passing game let on.

kearly

Reaction score
He's a gamer, but he kinda looks like he's never been inside a weight room before. Skinny arms and legs.

It is so hard to get excited about a TE, especially in Seattle's offense.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kearly":1gdecbi9 said:
He's a gamer, but he kinda looks like he's never been inside a weight room before. Skinny arms and legs.

Yes, but let's not forget what Pete Carroll tried to do back in 2012 here with bringing in Kellen Winslow. He and the coaching staff envisioned a killer 2 TE set who could really present match up problems and carve up opposing defenses. It didn't happen obviously, but Pete was extremely excited at the prospect of that ... and the coaching staff spent much of that offseason inputting those 2 TE packages with that in mind. Carroll and Schneider talk about it all the time. They are looking for those guys who will "Tilt the Room". They want those guys who have extreme skillsets and in turn present potential matchup issues.

You also have to consider the fact that the cap number for a star TE would be quite a bit lower than a star WR ... which means that the Hawks could potentially have a much longer term investment there.

So, I personally wouldn't throw out the idea of a TE whatsoever.

In fact, if they are not able to secure a guy like a Dorial Beckham Green (someone whom to me screams Pete Carroll kind of a guy) ... then I could definitely see them turn to a player like Maxx Williams because of the skillset that he obviously has. A 1-2 punch of Maxx Williams and Luke Willson -- I could certainly get used to that.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
kearly":fgjxkzx1 said:

Such a big strong player yet funny how I never noticed his poor muscle definition until you pointed it out Kip.

jake206

Reaction score
This is the early odds on favorite for who I think the Hawks will draft.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
So basically if Seattle doesn't sign a tight end in free agency it's going to be Maxx Williams if he's there.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2gl3s8z5 said:
So basically if Seattle doesn't sign a tight end in free agency it's going to be Maxx Williams if he's there.

Seattle won't ever corner themselves like that. There would always be FA/Trade options.

But yes, it could well mean it's a higher priority.

titan3131

Reaction score
I doubt that they view williams as the best player available.

Nick o Leary is much better at blocking, and catches like he has stickon on his hands. and he wont cost our first pick.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
titan3131":2xe43xrs said:
I doubt that they view williams as the best player available.
Seahawks don't draft using a BPA approach.

Nick o Leary is much better at blocking, and catches like he has stickon on his hands. and he wont cost our first pick.
Personally, I wouldn't waste a pick on O' Leary. He's a solid college tight end, but his skills don't translate to the NFL.

Limited athlete
Limited speed
Undersized, maxed out frame.
Short arms
Lacks strength

[youtube]WqgaLwZhG0M[/youtube]

Watch the running play at 1:05 in the video above.

I've watched a lot of Maxx Williams tape and I've never seen him get dominated like that. That's the type of defensive ends that O'Leary will always struggle with at the next level. He's a willing blocker with solid technique, but his size and lack of athleticism will hurt him against stronger athletes.

McGruff

Reaction score
Yeah, not a fan of O'Leary at all, and I suspect the Seahawks are even less so. O'Leary is the classic Ruskell pick . . . Uber productive, high character, mediocre athlete.

hawksurething

Reaction score
I'm hear to help.

Look how maxx is not facing press tech.
Now look at the caliber of defenders he is catching on.
Now look at how some of his yards caMe on blown coverages.

This TE class is horrible,but he is the best of a horrible TE class. So look at that fact.

There are better TEs in FA...Gresham,clay,cammron,etc...

Never choose low talent,when you can choose better if possible. So draft TE another year when the class is good & deep :)

pehawk

Reaction score
hawksurething":1jmlradp said:
I'm hear to help.

This TE class is horrible,but he is the best of a horrible TE class. So look at that fact.

Never choose low talent,when you can choose better if possible. So draft TE another year when the class is good & deep :)

Exactly.

Why haven't you done a post each about FA TE's and one in this forum about this TE draft class? We'd all appreciate it, really. Kinda a giving back thing, man.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawksurething":1ewa2vcg said:
I'm hear to help.

How is that his fault?

Says the guy who likes Tre McBride

Irrelevant. Are those not supposed to count? you can argue like this with any player

The depth sucks, but Maxx Williams is good and will only get better. That would be my thought any year. I started this thread. I got my reasons above in detail. You got to go come up with something better than this man.

hawksurething

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2ylc0lzr said:
hawksurething":2ylc0lzr said:
I'm hear to help.

How is that his fault?

Says the guy who likes Tre McBride

Irrelevant. Are those not supposed to count? you can argue like this with any player

The depth sucks, but Maxx Williams is good and will only get better. That would be my thought any year. I started this thread. I got my reasons above in detail. You got to go come up with something better than this man.

I tried to,but I can't right now until I watch full film on him.

I'm half-a**ing & just going by what I saw from your vid & what the anyalst are saying about the TE class. Last year the said it was not that good & it came to be true since Jenkins & Enron need time to develop.

I will try to come up with better details of why for you later buddy,since you asked what we think. Just need a little time :)

hawksurething

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/jermaine-gresham?id=497238

This is to give you a monitor where I'm going about TEs in FA.

Now the draft guys...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/clive-walford?id=2552397

The only decent TEs though not real complete in the draft are...

Williams is a fast amazing move receiving TE. Explosive too. His Bad points are... not a blocker, Stiff hips make average routes which will allow guys to jump routes,also needs to shield defenders off on catches.

Walford good blocker & fast decent receiver combo. His only bad point is focus drops. Since he has the hips to run better routes.

Anderson good blocker & good reciever with the best routes of these 3. Bad points are...inconsistent hands,body catches, needs to shield defenders off & is hurt.

So it is up to you to choose which skills you want for the hawks.

I like Walford for the combo of block & catch. Plus he is going lower. Focus drops can be fixed from within as he has big hands like Williams.( though I hate drops ! )

Williams is the best pass catcher period hands down ! though he can't block & will let guys jump his routes due to his hips.

Tough choice Which do you chose ?