My early draft crush: Maxx Williams (TE)

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I don't know man, I saw a busted coverage in that highlight reel!
:sarcasm_on:

In all seriousness, it's hard for me to compare Gresham to Maxx cause I didn't scout players in 2010. From what I remember and see on tape here, he's was a rare tight end prospect coming out. It makes sense he probably would been drafted higher than the #21 pick if he didn't sit out his senior year because of a knee injury. That's a little bit different than the #31 pick.

Even with all that talent Gresham hasn't really put it together but hey if Seattle wants to make a play for him in free agency then I say pull the trigger. (If his heart is into it. I've heard otherwise)

With Maxx I see a ball player who has the natural instincts of seasoned vet and he's only 20. Like a lot of top TE's who have played years in the league despite losing a step, it's the cerebral part of their game which allows them to keep making plays. I see Williams as someone elite in that category whereas other more physical gifted tight ends don't have that and never reach their full potential.

CPHawk

Reaction score
titan3131":3crut5n0 said:
I doubt that they view williams as the best player available.

Nick o Leary is much better at blocking, and catches like he has stickon on his hands. and he wont cost our first pick.

Nick O Leary won't be a Seahawks. He has tiny hands, short arms and he's slow.

hawksurething

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1gihu68n said:
I don't know man, I saw a busted coverage in that highlight reel!
:sarcasm_on:

In all seriousness, it's hard for me to compare Gresham to Maxx cause I didn't scout players in 2010. From what I remember and see on tape here, he's was a rare tight end prospect coming out. It makes sense he probably would been drafted higher than the #21 pick if he didn't sit out his senior year because of a knee injury. That's a little bit different than the #31 pick.

Even with all that talent Gresham hasn't really put it together but hey if Seattle wants to make a play for him in free agency then I say pull the trigger. (If his heart is into it. I've heard otherwise)

With Maxx I see a ball player who has the natural instincts of seasoned vet and he's only 20. Like a lot of top TE's who have played years in the league despite losing a step, it's the cerebral part of their game which allows them to keep making plays. I see Williams as someone elite in that category whereas other more physical gifted tight ends don't have that and never reach their full potential.

Very good assesment ! :)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I like Jeff Heuerman as a very Seahawky pick at TE. Foot issue wrecked his Senior season, but the guy is a very Miller like player.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I like Williams as a player. He will be really solid at the next level, if pretty unspectacular.

But I just don't see him as a Seahawk. Not enough difference making physical skills (the kind Seattle loves in the early rounds). He scraped into the 4.7's (4.78) at 6-4 and 254lbs. He's not the kind of size/speed mismatch their coveting in free agency. He's not the kind of blocker Miller was (who is?). I just can't see him being a difference maker for an offense, he's more of a complimentary piece and will need a high octane passing game to produce. A lot of TE's like this have entered the league recently and failed to have much impact.

If they can't get at Julius Thomas or Jordan Cameron, they either need to pursue the trade market or try and get the best possible receiver at #31.

pehawk

Reaction score
Will his dad tell war stories at every training camp?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Similar athleticism to Zach Miller, measurables virtually identical. Miller was just such a technician and professional. I don't get that sense from Williams, but the potential is there. Wouldn't mind getting him at the end of the 3rd or 4th Round because of that potential.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1d8sm6nr said:
I like Williams as a player. He will be really solid at the next level, if pretty unspectacular.

But I just don't see him as a Seahawk. Not enough difference making physical skills (the kind Seattle loves in the early rounds). He scraped into the 4.7's (4.78) at 6-4 and 254lbs. He's not the kind of size/speed mismatch their coveting in free agency. He's not the kind of blocker Miller was (who is?). I just can't see him being a difference maker for an offense, he's more of a complimentary piece and will need a high octane passing game to produce. A lot of TE's like this have entered the league recently and failed to have much impact.

If they can't get at Julius Thomas or Jordan Cameron, they either need to pursue the trade market or try and get the best possible receiver at #31.

Fair assessment. He's not the most athletic, so he may not fit the first round, high upside mold that Seattle goes after. I can't disagree with that. There was, however, reports of them having a man crush on Jace Amaro who is similar to Maxx in athleticism and style, so perhaps they aren't stuck to the thought of needing a super freak tight end and they did spend big on Zach Miller when they were desperate for a TE (and find themselves now in a similar situation)

I don't think it would take a high octane passing game for Maxx to make an impact. He's shown he doesn't need a ton of targets to produce. At Minnesota he played in a similar fun-first offense as Seattle and still scored 8 TDs with only 36 catches (Compare that to Amaro who needed 106 receptions to score 7 TDs).

I know I keep going back to William's age, but he will be only 21 when he starts his first training camp. Physically he has room to grow.

Latest posts