My Pre Draft Off Season Grade - D+

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Wilson Trade - no real complaints about the value we got back. However, the team created a situation where it’s star player wanted out. That has never been addressed by the team.

Dissley - He is now being paid as a TOP 15 tight end while missing lots of time injured. His best season? 24 catches. Add to that we traded for Fant.

Nwoso - Our star signing right? A ONE year starter, who, with a BOSA on the other side commanding attention only managed FIVE sacks. Wow. Hope he turns out but for the money paid we should or could have gotten better.

Reed - Losing a good player who felt “disrescted” at Seattles offer. Maybe if we had added a little of Dissleys dollars?

Wagner and the embarrassing way he found out. Did we make much of an effort to restructure before that? Don’t know.

Losing Brown and Dunlap though I don’t know they have yet signed elsewhere.

No QB other than lock so far. However I wish they would FINALLY just let Geno Smith go. Really just stop. He will never be the answer.

Diggs - one of the lone bright spots.

Signing Penny - decent move.

Jefferson - I’m on the fence.

add to that our new DC was an assistant to our old DC who sucked

D+ so far.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
All part of a rebuild. Hopefully the draft makes things a little nicer looking for the future.

Wagner wants a 1 year 11 million dollar deal. The fact he hasn't signed yet is surprising. Its sad how he was released but he had to of known it was coming.

Reed was a big miss imo. Guess they draft a cb early.

Dissly was too much money imo but hopefully the new qb utilizes a te better than the last qb.

I've been told by a chargers fan Nwosu is a good pick up. Not sure though.

Penny a good deal and the rest are just fill ins imo.

I'm not going to give a grade until after the draft. Trading Wilson was the right thing to do given his circumstances that alone is worth a high grade.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
All part of a rebuild. Hopefully the draft makes things a little nicer looking for the future.

Wagner wants a 1 year 11 million dollar deal. The fact he hasn't signed yet is surprising. Its sad how he was released but he had to of known it was coming.

Reed was a big miss imo. Guess they draft a cb early.

Dissly was too much money imo but hopefully the new qb utilizes a te better than the last qb.

I've been told by a chargers fan Nwosu is a good pick up. Not sure though.

Penny a good deal and the rest are just fill ins imo.

I'm not going to give a grade until after the draft. Trading Wilson was the right thing to do given his circumstances that alone is worth a high grade.
The problem is we've traded our QB and we've both traded for and signed a bunch of aging vets in the process. Guys that are at the tail end of their career. That is not what you typically do during a rebuilding year. We trimmed some fat, but i'm not exactly seeing a huge influx of young talent. We're approaching this like most other years, only without having a QB, which is extremely problematic. In 2010 we had the most roster turnover of any team in the NFL with well over 200+ moves. We cut pretty much most all of aging vets.

Pete keeps insisting that there is no rebuild and with the way he's approached things, i'm inclined to believe that. I think that is an ignorant view given lack of a QB and the number of aging players we had on our roster.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Not going to give you a grade on your grade, but two points of clarification.

Dissly and Fant are not competing for playing time. This offensive system utilizes both a move/joker TE who is mainly a pass catcher along with a traditional Y in-line blocking TE. We had Everett and Dissly on the field at the same time a large amount of time last season and Fant is supposed to be an upgrade for Everett. Dissly's role is not defined by catches and he is easily a top 15 in-line TE; depending on health which is a valid concern to have.

When Clint Hurtt joined the team back in 2017 he was coming directly from Fangio's system in Chicago. Norton joined the following season as the DC and Hurtt simply continued his role. Firing Norton, promoting Hurtt, and bringing in Sean Desai from Chicago as an assistant head coach should tell you that it's that Fangio system Pete is looking to supplement from.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wilson Trade - no real complaints about the value we got back. However, the team created a situation where it’s star player wanted out. That has never been addressed by the team.

Dissley - He is now being paid as a TOP 15 tight end while missing lots of time injured. His best season? 24 catches. Add to that we traded for Fant.

Nwoso - Our star signing right? A ONE year starter, who, with a BOSA on the other side commanding attention only managed FIVE sacks. Wow. Hope he turns out but for the money paid we should or could have gotten better.

Reed - Losing a good player who felt “disrescted” at Seattles offer. Maybe if we had added a little of Dissleys dollars?

Wagner and the embarrassing way he found out. Did we make much of an effort to restructure before that? Don’t know.

Losing Brown and Dunlap though I don’t know they have yet signed elsewhere.

No QB other than lock so far. However I wish they would FINALLY just let Geno Smith go. Really just stop. He will never be the answer.

Diggs - one of the lone bright spots.

Signing Penny - decent move.

Jefferson - I’m on the fence.

add to that our new DC was an assistant to our old DC who sucked

D+ so far.
Wilson didn't want to be here, he indicated he wouldn't be re-signing here as well. He was traded and the team got fair compensation for him the result of which will not be known for more than 2 seasons, like both Fant and Harris as players thrown in. The cap relief will give the team an advantage for a few seasons. What else needed to be addressed? Wilson was unwilling to play in the system the coach wanted him to play in. If it's just that system that somehow you believe hasn't been addressed please explain why that system worked so well at the end end of the season. BS luck maybe?

Agree that Dissly appears to have been overpaid for his results so far, but perhaps the team has plan for him that differs from last season, time will tell. Fant is at present an unknown quantity but could be good player. The team at least won't need to draft a TE this draft and their total cap number for the position going forward is cheaper than it'd have been if they re-signed Everett.

Don't agree on Nwoso he's a player that is on the rise, and he isn't being paid that much either.

Reed wanted more than the team was prepared to offer.

Wagner is an off line MLB who had lost a step and wasn't worth the $20 mil he was to be paid for the season. Besides he wasn't a good fit for a 3-4 scheme. The team gave him his freedom early without holding him up with a trade situation. The way he found out about his release was a shame and not truly the right way to treat a player the team regarded as the defensive captain.

The QB situation is clearly something in flux, a situation which may continue through the preseason, maybe into next season as well. Meanwhile Lock is cheap. Don't disagree about Geno Smith even if he played better under Waldron's scheme than RW did.

Penny was an acceptable re-signing and maybe will stay healthy this season. His best move was to re-sign here anyway.

Agree on Diggs but he isn't just one of the lone bright spots he is the bright spot. The D's back end seems to be well staffed.

The team got rid of the 4-3 DEs plus a good bit of cap overhead and replaced those players with 5 tech guys with some talent.

The team has changed the defensive scheme and is making wholesale defensive changes, most all of the defensive coaches are new to their jobs and Hurrtt has an overseer in Desai. I don't regard any of this as a negative.

The OLine coach changed.

The HC admitted he had been arrogant defensively and has switched to a fesh new direction. last season he got a younger perspective to assist on O

Think you are grading far to hard with you unremitting AP bias and googles on. Everything is not a fail grade to many of us.

I do however wish the team would at least add back on experienced OT. They are not finished but haven't truly improved the team yet so my grade for them is incomplete yet.

Incomplete.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Are people aware that the offseason runs until September 2022? WE DON"T EVEN HAVE THE 2022 SCHEDULE YET!!!!

Cyrus12

Reaction score
The problem is we've traded our QB and we've both traded for and signed a bunch of aging vets in the process. Guys that are at the tail end of their career. That is not what you typically do during a rebuilding year. We trimmed some fat, but i'm not exactly seeing a huge influx of young talent. We're approaching this like most other years, only without having a QB, which is extremely problematic. In 2010 we had the most roster turnover of any team in the NFL with well over 200+ moves. We cut pretty much most all of aging vets.

Pete keeps insisting that there is no rebuild and with the way he's approached things, i'm inclined to believe that. I think that is an ignorant view given lack of a QB and the number of aging players we had on our roster.
Gotta draft that young talent. The vets are filler. I dont care what Pete says..its a rebuild. Just trying to keep those fans that never heard of the Seahawks before 2012.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Let's not forget this team wasn't exactly excelling the last few years. High expectations but diminishing results and individuals.

Spohawks

Reaction score
FREAKING A+
The Wilson trade was highway robbery! The only value of Wilson is that he is accurate with his passes...thats ANY QBS JOB!

Dissley was bit of a shocker to me but no one knows what he brings to the table like the Seahawks. He does his job and doesn't miss. If the Hawks thinks he is exactly what this offence needs...rock on, money well spent.

Wags/Brown could be back for cheap, they have added DL and CB help and haven't even spent big money on anyone yet. The FO is kicking butt so far...2022 PLAYOFFS!!!

GemCity

Reaction score
Agree with OP. I’m hoping we can leverage the next draft, or three, while this tank steams on.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
A+ from me if they can get one free agent tackle to man either side.

Moving into one philosophical direction, breathing new energy into the drafting process, creating a new culture of hungry players that will eventually get younger establishing a new, stronger foundation. That’s the majority of the grade.

I’m excited Carroll is finally allowing himself to succumb to the modern NFL. I think with the future cap space and the likely chance of premium draft position and picks, the future is bright. Reload, restock, retool, rebuild the team while the rest of the NFC is at its peak and construct a roster that will more complete and stronger at a time when those teams will start to fall off in a few years.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Speaking of Dissley, anyone consider that his true value is helping to block on the side with a young offensive tackle. Possibly Stone or a high LT draft pick. Quietly, providing help and a tutor from a good blocker.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Dissly got paid because the TE market was general lacking and the draft is generally lacking. They most likely had to pay a premium to keep one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL.

Yeah Dissly has been oft-injured, yeah his production his last two seasons haven’t been on par with his first two when healthy.

But I think lack of opportunities in the passing game had to more with the rise of Metcalf, a QB not wanting to utilize him underneath plus a QB who probably forced him into more protection duties the last 2 years, on top of taking the backburner to Everett as Waldron was trying to get his scheme rolling.

Frankly, I just see it as a vote of confidence that Dissly will have a more impactful role within this offense as a receiver moving forward without Russ Wilson as a do-it-all TE. Run blocking, pass-protection, dependable safety valve that can move chains, exploit soft zone coverages underneath and in the middle of defense, and from time to time destroy a defense off play-action with a deep seam route.

Waldron and Dickerson probably could have chose familiarity and athleticism with Everett who was more productive and signed for cheaper with SD. So I see it has a vote of confidence for Dissly and a vote of trust in him over any other TE in free agency/draft to execute the scheme.

Contract aside, receiving production aside, Dissly is a sneakily good TE that plays tough-nosed, team-oriented unselfish football. Injuries aside, I feel Dissly will earn his contract on the field especially if he’s aware of all the noise that he’s undeserving of it.

That’s why I’m glad they also paid Diggs. Guys like Dissly and Diggs who are positive for the culture inside the locker room but are dialed in every day, and leave everything on the field every rep don’t necessarily grow on trees in this day and age and make for great leaders, ambassadors on and off the field which this team is going to need moving forward.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
FREAKING A+
The Wilson trade was highway robbery! The only value of Wilson is that he is accurate with his passes...thats ANY QBS JOB!

Dissley was bit of a shocker to me but no one knows what he brings to the table like the Seahawks. He does his job and doesn't miss. If the Hawks thinks he is exactly what this offence needs...rock on, money well spent.

Wags/Brown could be back for cheap, they have added DL and CB help and haven't even spent big money on anyone yet. The FO is kicking butt so far...2022 PLAYOFFS!!!

I appreciate a Homer but this is silly.

Could be back doesn’t mean back. They don’t have an offensive tackle. And while they’ve added help at corner there is little guarantee they’ve upgraded the position letting Reed walk.

Ahkello Witherspoon had a high pff grade the year before and didn’t even make the team. So let’s hold our horses on arte burns.

If the season started today are the hawks better than the Niners? Rams? Cardinals? Doubtful so there’s no way I could give this off season an A

Jville

Reaction score
I think the free agent signings and their previous connections to current coaching staff shine a light on the excellent climate of cooperation and consensus building that exists among the coaching and scouting staffs . It also helps debunk a lot of the derogatory nonsense directed at specific targets.

I'm certainly enjoying this years team building process.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Reed was weirdly highly rated when you look at the #s. Almost undervalued here. He was solid. Effective CBs are difficult to find, not sure what we were thinking. Also tremendously confused how a TE is more valuable than a CB to a coach that usually overvalues defense over offense.

We probably had to trade Wilson but Im confused how we even let it get to that point.

Cannot really evaluate this until we see what they do in the draft though.

Jville

Reaction score
Reed was weirdly highly rated when you look at the #s. Almost undervalued here. He was solid. Effective CBs are difficult to find, not sure what we were thinking. Also tremendously confused how a TE is more valuable than a CB to a coach that usually overvalues defense over offense.

We probably had to trade Wilson but Im confused how we even let it get to that point.

Cannot really evaluate this until we see what they do in the draft though.
I don't think perceived trade offs between corner backs and tight ends has much to do with one another.

DJ Reed saw his defensive backs coach relieved of his duties in Seattle. Reed chose to rejoined a familiar coach in New York that he worked under earlier in his career in San Francisco.

There was an article that spelled out some surprise contract numbers for three well rounded (blocking) tight ends in the first week of free agency. John Schneider mentioned that there was a team familiar with Will Dissly that was pursuing him. Presumably as a priority free agent. In any case, its common, in this stat centrist era, to undervalue good blocking tight ends. There are only so many blockers that are really good at pulling and blocking. Those skills are typically more appreciated by coaches than by fans.

Fade

Reaction score
Short term it's a D, they are going to lose a lot next year.

But looking long term, they are building things that can set themselves up for 2024 and beyond. They need to continue to remain patient and wait for the right QB, and not settle for Baker Mayfield.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I have absolutely no issues with a horrible season next year where we go all in to develop young talent. None at all. I also have no issue with grabbing Baker, signing some decent players ( if there any left) and trying for a playoff push. My only problem is in between.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
I have absolutely no issues with a horrible season next year where we go all in to develop young talent. None at all. I also have no issue with grabbing Baker, signing some decent players ( if there any left) and trying for a playoff push. My only problem is in between.
I feel like given our cap position; spending capital, draft and otherwise, on Baker and thinking we're going to find let alone afford to sign decent FA's to make a push seems to be the in-between move here, no?