My Pre Draft Off Season Grade - D+

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I feel like given our cap position; spending capital, draft and otherwise, on Baker and thinking we're going to find let alone afford to sign decent FA's to make a push seems to be the in-between move here, no?
Probably right. While it may be that in between position I just think a year of Baker would be a blast. A couple wins we wouldn’t have while maybe he blows a couple games we expect to win. Fireworks are fun.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
We have to factor into the assessment the dead cap from Wilson and Wagner that will be all amortized this season freeing the team financially to be big time players in FA next seasonif they so desired.

So far while I say things are incomplete things are not truly all that bad. D+ is highly pessimistic, with factoring in the return from the RW trade and the draft results.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
That’s fair. Though I cannot remember the last time we had a good amount of caps space to use where we didn’t waste it on Joes and projects. You probably have a better memory than me for that. Serious question. When did we last have good cap space and used it well?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
My friend it’s been a while and RW and Wagner didn’t help. For sure there have been a lot of go big or go home moves that failed to deliver results, w/o a doubt Pete got not much from several of these dice throws. We can be critical oraccept that they were hole plugging and spent far too much. Undoubtedly there have been more than a few worthless Joe’s overpaid for as well. This is pretty consistent all around the NFL.

Drafting late b/c they were close to being successful didn’t help. Rebuilding is now an interesting phase and PC seems involved albeit slightly lesser than before, but the Harvin type deals are now passed.

I have a sense they are now of the hard realization their recent drafts haven’t panned out or have been able to show their potential for various health reason some u fairly visited upon their choices which mostly remain likely more positive than some here will admit. Still the recent drafts have disappointed w/o doubt.

They annually shoot for the moon, yet things with RW recently things have continued to be unproductive. As well simply their D has recently sucked in most every relevant category.

We are now looking at yet another new Seahawks era, the latest draft fills may of us with hope in new positive direction. The RW trade has added more legit talent than many admit. The coaches her are pretty good coaches albeit some think are outdated yet have positive resumes. I’m positive about the D and their new directions in many ways.

It won’t be this season they reap any roster benefit from taking the dead cap resolution of this season, but it will come. If they don’t screw it up with stupid expensive trades and free agent acquisitions the team will soon be contending again.

Frankly we need to patient and let this play out.

Perhaps a longer reply, but I do get some of your negativity and and only ask you to delay voting thumbs down while there is a good way to go until we know about his coming year.

Last edited:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I simply do not get the incessant negativity in general. Psychologically speaking I think it's a simple defense mechanism by many fans to shield themselves from the reality that this is not the SB/LOB Era of the franchise which of course it isn't. However instead of giving rise to hope they want to prepare for a total crap fest "just in case". While the optics don't let grand (let's admit, Lock nor Smith is giving Vegas a chub), I think it is completely short-sighted to assume the worst. In fact, I think this roster could really shock this year and I anticipate it.

Rainger

Reaction score
I simply do not get the incessant negativity in general. Psychologically speaking I think it's a simple defense mechanism by many fans to shield themselves from the reality that this is not the SB/LOB Era of the franchise which of course it isn't. However instead of giving rise to hope they want to prepare for a total crap fest "just in case". While the optics don't let grand (let's admit, Lock nor Smith is giving Vegas a chub), I think it is completely short-sighted to assume the worst. In fact, I think this roster could really shock this year and I anticipate it.
Not COULD but WILL. Book it. To many arm chair qbs, gms, on .net that are negative Nellie's who listen to the paid east coast pontificating fabricators who spew self righteousness nonsense

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Aros my friend I so completely agree. I believe this FO has a fresh perspective on themselves and the teams recent direction. The acknowledgment by Pete of some defensive arrogance and the shedding of aging but talented cap milestones signals a willing to take risk to allow for significant improvement to happen.

To me always believing in the worst is living like Eeyore in constant negativity with the steady belief in the potential prospect of rain. This team will be better than many think and could surprise the most negative of the vocal group of fans who seem stuck in ‘Woe is us, we have no franchise QB, we have Pete who is stuck in a college scheme or sucks at this or that and as result have no hope.’ It is truly nihilistic defeatism.

There is lots here to build genuine success upon. I am to my last breath a Seahawks fan and I believe in my team. I truly do believe the team has more collective talent than most acknowledge and am excited to see what they will do this season.

Last edited:

Ruminator

Reaction score
There are a variety of opinions on this year's offseason and draft, and I side with those who think the team is going in the right direction. But for me, everything just has me all the more interested in seeing what the team does in 2023, particularly what they do with the four picks they have in the first two rounds (barring a trade) of the 2023 draft.

If the FO makes the right moves and acquires at least a couple of decent players in 2023 (which would be difficult to fail at considering the aforementioned picks and otherwise), combined with a respectable OL for once, the Hawks just might be SB contenders soon after.

GemCity

Reaction score
Personally, I would’ve rolled with Wilson over PC but that chapter is dead and gone. I understand the off-season grades and believe it to be somewhat intact.

But…we know which direction we’re headed. I think PC and JS tore this draft up. While I’d take Wilson over Cross and Walker, PC and JS did great with what we had.

I think the “plan” pans out in next years draft. At least, I hope that was the plan.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I rate this off season as a B+. Yes, we traded away a franchise QB but we have invested heavily in the talent level of the team. That, and we get to do it again in next year's draft while the rest of our division is spinning their wheels trading away a great deal of their early draft picks.

The net affect will be realized in 2024 and beyond when Seattle will regain control of the NFCW for years to come.

Mark my words.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Remember this thread was a PRE draft thread that was necroed from March.

I was content for the most part with the draft.

Our centerpiece FA acquisition? Nwoso can’t even get more than 5 sacks with a BOSA at the other end of the line demanding attention. That is subpar.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Our centerpiece FA acquisition? Nwoso can’t even get more than 5 sacks with a BOSA at the other end of the line demanding attention. That is subpar.
That's a good thing, right? The fewer UFA dollars we throw down the drain in a rebuilding year the better. The dead cap to get out of Nwoso's contract is only $4.7m next off-season if any of the youth can replace him then, and they'd be on a rookie deal which would keep the position extremely affordable.