My Prepubescent 53-Man Roster

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Still a little too early but I wanted to make one before cut-downs as it is more challenging.

OFFENSE OUTLINE (25 Players)
- 2 QB, 5 RB, 6 WR, 2 TE, 10 OL

DEFENSIVE OUTLINE (25 Players)
- 9 DL, 6 LB, 10 DB

01 QB Russel Willson
02 QB Tarvaris Jackson

03 RB Marshawn Lynch
04 RB Robert Turbin
05 RB Christine Michael
06 FB Will Tukuafu
07 FB Derrick Coleman

08 WR Doug Baldwin
09 WR Thundercat Lockett
10 WR Chris Matthews
11 WR Kasen Williams
12 WR BJ Daniels
13 WR Kevin Smith

14 TE Jimmy Graham
15 TE Luke Willson

16 OT Russell Okung
17 OG Justin Britt
18 OC Drew Nowak
19 OG JR Sweezy
20 OT Garry Gilliam
21 TG Alvin Bailey
22 GT Mark Glowinski
23 CG Lemuel Jeanpierre
24 OT Terry Poole
25 OC Patrick Lewis

Offensive Notes:

You might notice the 2 FB, 2 TE. It’s hard to choose between Coleman and Tukuafu but it occurred to me that the Seahawks might not want to. Both players play a highly volatile position and have had trouble staying healthy in the past. Both players also have versatility, both contribute on Special Teams; Coleman can play a Swingback role if needed. Tukuafu has played at DT in the past and has the size to be a competent blocking TE. If a 6-3, 240 Cooper Helfet is your 3rd best TE, I would just figure out ways to utilize the 6’0, 240 Coleman and the 6-2, 280 Tukuafu more into the offense. Both are better blockers than Helfet, even on the edge, and Helfet is inconsistent as a pass-catcher, so its not like he has a definable strength that the Seahawks can rely on.

You might also notice Kearse and Lockette are not in the WR group. I don’t think Lockette makes it. Kearse probably does (90% that he does replacing either Smith or Williams) but if it were up to me those are MY guys. Daniels was a hard decision to keep, he flashes and then completely disappears but then I remembered the guy is practically brand new at his position. His versatility and potential is key: WR, QB, PR, KR, ST and he should only continue to get better as he settles down more.

Seahawks keep 10 OL. I’m uncertain who those linemen will ultimately be after Glowinski but I feel these would be the best 10 based on experience, play, and investment.

26 DE Michael Bennett
27 DE Cliff Avril
28 DE Frank Clark
29 DE Cassius Marsh

30 DT Brandon Mebane
31 DT Ahtyba Rubin
32 DT Jordan Hill
33 DT Ty McGill
34 DT Damarcus Dobbs

35 LB KJ Wright
36 LB Bobby Wagner
37 LB Bruce Irvin
38 LB Kevin Pierre Louis
39 LB Mike Morgan
40 LB Brock Croyle

41 CB Richard Sherman
42 CB Cary Williams
43 CB Tharold Simon
44 CB Marcus Burley
45 CB Tye Smith

46 DB DeShawn Shead
47 DB Steve Terrell

48 FS Earl Thomas
49 SS Kam Chanchellor
50 SS Dion Bailey

Defensive Notes:

I think 8 DL positions are secure from Bennett to McGill. That 9th player is a tough because it can essentially be anyone depending if they want size, length, or quickness. I chose Dobbs because he played well last season, can play both DE and DT in our system, and also contributes on Special Teams.

It was really difficult leaving Eric Pinkins off roster because he has been a quietly solid player with potential. Solid but not brilliant as I liked what I’ve seen from KPL, MiMo, and BroCro this pre-season with all three showing flashes of starting ability play.

DB out of any position was the hardest to figure out.

Do they keep one or both Blackmon and Burley? Which one do they keep? How much do I want Mo Seisay? I was going to keep 11 but ultimately decided on 10. I didn’t want to keep Terrell but he’s gotten every start at FS in the pre-season, which makes me believe the Seahawks think highly of him. Terrell can play FS as well as NCB and I agree that would be valuable. Shead can play either S position, as well as CB, not sure if he can play NCB but I think he’s well suited for it. Both players allow the Seahawks to keep one of the Burley/Blackmon competition, as they provide depth at CB inside and out. However, Terrell is not a lock… its still possible any number of players land on the roster like Seisay or Martin, JR if not both Blackmon and Burley.

51 ST Steven Hauschka, K
52 ST Jon Ryan, P
53 ST Clint Gresham, LS

(PUP)
WR, Paul Richardson
CB, Jeremy Lane

(CHANCELLOR’S HOLD OUT ROSTER VACANCY)
S Ronald Martin, JR

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Am I being whooshed? Who the heck is Kevin White on the WR list?

Noway BJ Daniels AND Kasen make the squad, and I dont believe the bears will be trading their first round pick to us either...

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":66jxbxff said:
There's no way Kearse doesn't make it in that WR group. I'd even say Lockette would be kept ahead of one of Smith or Daniels, too, due to his familiarity with the offense and his ST value.

Which I suggested in the commentary. That I didn't think Lockette makes it but that Kearse probably does in which you would replace one of Williams or Smith in my list.

In my head though, I thought it would make perfect sense if Kearse didn't make it only because it would open up opportunity and snaps for Lockett and Matthews to get the those guys valuable experience as well as not to create a logjam at the position once Richardson comes back and if if Lockett and Matthews continue progress and play well in thier roles.

Just think of it as this, the 4 best WRs right now are probably:

Baldwin
Lockett
Kearse
Matthews

Once Richardson comes back, and if healthy, then by season's end, the 4 best WRs might be:

Baldwin
Lockett
Matthews
Richardson

2.36m is a lot of money for a guy who could be regulated to 4th or 5th WR by seasons end.

But again I think Kearse makes it (giving him like a 90% chance) but I can understand the upside and cap savings if the team doesn't keep him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Good post PH. I think Kearse is a lock to make the final roster. He gets a bit more leeway because it seems that Wilson favors him. In that regard, if he's a go to guy for your QB do you want to release him? Kearse is still fairly young, maybe he becomes more consistent and upgrades his game. I do like Williams and think he's going to make the 53 man roster. He's the one player that is most like Sidney Rice. Given more targets, Williams will emerge as a solid WR. He's got size and is now learning how to use that to his advantage. That last drive against SD on saturday, it was his key catch and run that put them in position to kick a FG.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Good effort, I appreciate the post.

Pandion Haliaetus":41oen1st said:
06 FB Will Tukuafu
07 FB Derrick Coleman

As the offense continues to move away from a fullback, perhaps mistakenly, I see this as a one-on-one competition to make the final roster. Tukuafu has looked like the superior blocker. However, Coleman gives you a better receiver out of the backfield, a backup RB, and an elite special teamer. Tukuafu doesn't do much on special teams and his value as a DL has been diminished by the rise of Hill, Clark, McGill, Scruggs, and Dobbs. I give the edge to Coleman for these reasons.

08 WR Doug Baldwin
09 WR Thundercat Lockett
10 WR Chris Matthews
11 WR Kasen Williams
12 WR BJ Daniels
13 WR Kevin Smith

Kearse has a HUGE lead over Kasen Williams. Fingers crossed that Williams makes the practice squad. Daniels has struggled of late, which makes me think he could be battling some with Williams. Daniels has more versatility on special teams/backup QB, at least until Richardson returns off PUP.

14 TE Jimmy Graham
15 TE Luke Willson

Helfet and McCoy still have a shot. I prefer Helfet's athleticism.

16 OT Russell Okung
17 OG Justin Britt
18 OC Drew Nowak
19 OG JR Sweezy
20 OT Garry Gilliam
21 TG Alvin Bailey
22 GT Mark Glowinski
23 CG Lemuel Jeanpierre
24 OT Terry Poole
25 OC Patrick Lewis

Jeanpierre was released today, meaning Lewis is the backup center. This is good news for the run blocking. I'm beginning to think they stick with nine linemen again this year. Poole gives them a developmental prospect at tackle whom they desperately need to develop.

26 DE Michael Bennett
27 DE Cliff Avril
28 DE Frank Clark
29 DE Cassius Marsh

30 DT Brandon Mebane
31 DT Ahtyba Rubin
32 DT Jordan Hill
33 DT Ty McGill
34 DT Damarcus Dobbs

This looks about right after the waiver of Scruggs.

35 LB KJ Wright
36 LB Bobby Wagner
37 LB Bruce Irvin
38 LB Kevin Pierre Louis
39 LB Mike Morgan
40 LB Brock Croyle

This looks right as well. Eric Pinkins has an outside chance, because of his athleticism and work on special teams. Morgan suffered some kind of hamstring strain that could finally make him expendable.

41 CB Richard Sherman
42 CB Cary Williams
43 CB Tharold Simon
44 CB Marcus Burley
45 CB Tye Smith

I feel fairly certain that they keep Will Blackmon, who is quietly becoming one of the more underrated players on this board.

46 DB DeShawn Shead
47 DB Steve Terrell

48 FS Earl Thomas
49 SS Kam Chanchellor
50 SS Dion Bailey

S Ronald Martin, JR

The safety situation is a veritable mess. Steven Terrell has played terribly in the preseason games. Dion Bailey was exploited in coverage again on Saturday. Ronald Martin also had a terrible missed tackle, though it was his first really bad play of the preseason. I hope they don't harbor more than one of Terrell-Bailey-Martin. Bailey would be the obvious pick due to Carroll's affinity for him.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3b2lsxk0 said:
Good effort, I appreciate the post.

Pandion Haliaetus":3b2lsxk0 said:
06 FB Will Tukuafu
07 FB Derrick Coleman

As the offense continues to move away from a fullback, perhaps mistakenly, I see this as a one-on-one competition to make the final roster. Tukuafu has looked like the superior blocker. However, Coleman gives you a better receiver out of the backfield, a backup RB, and an elite special teamer. Tukuafu doesn't do much on special teams and his value as a DL has been diminished by the rise of Hill, Clark, McGill, Scruggs, and Dobbs. I give the edge to Coleman for these reasons.

08 WR Doug Baldwin
09 WR Thundercat Lockett
10 WR Chris Matthews
11 WR Kasen Williams
12 WR BJ Daniels
13 WR Kevin Smith

Kearse has a HUGE lead over Kasen Williams. Fingers crossed that Williams makes the practice squad. Daniels has struggled of late, which makes me think he could be battling some with Williams. Daniels has more versatility on special teams/backup QB, at least until Richardson returns off PUP.

14 TE Jimmy Graham
15 TE Luke Willson

Helfet and McCoy still have a shot. I prefer Helfet's athleticism.

16 OT Russell Okung
17 OG Justin Britt
18 OC Drew Nowak
19 OG JR Sweezy
20 OT Garry Gilliam
21 TG Alvin Bailey
22 GT Mark Glowinski
23 CG Lemuel Jeanpierre
24 OT Terry Poole
25 OC Patrick Lewis

Jeanpierre was released today, meaning Lewis is the backup center. This is good news for the run blocking. I'm beginning to think they stick with nine linemen again this year. Poole gives them a developmental prospect at tackle whom they desperately need to develop.

26 DE Michael Bennett
27 DE Cliff Avril
28 DE Frank Clark
29 DE Cassius Marsh

30 DT Brandon Mebane
31 DT Ahtyba Rubin
32 DT Jordan Hill
33 DT Ty McGill
34 DT Damarcus Dobbs

This looks about right after the waiver of Scruggs.

35 LB KJ Wright
36 LB Bobby Wagner
37 LB Bruce Irvin
38 LB Kevin Pierre Louis
39 LB Mike Morgan
40 LB Brock Croyle

This looks right as well. Eric Pinkins has an outside chance, because of his athleticism and work on special teams. Morgan suffered some kind of hamstring strain that could finally make him expendable.

41 CB Richard Sherman
42 CB Cary Williams
43 CB Tharold Simon
44 CB Marcus Burley
45 CB Tye Smith

I feel fairly certain that they keep Will Blackmon, who is quietly becoming one of the more underrated players on this board.

46 DB DeShawn Shead
47 DB Steve Terrell

48 FS Earl Thomas
49 SS Kam Chanchellor
50 SS Dion Bailey

S Ronald Martin, JR

The safety situation is a veritable mess. Steven Terrell has played terribly in the preseason games. Dion Bailey was exploited in coverage again on Saturday. Ronald Martin also had a terrible missed tackle, though it was his first really bad play of the preseason. I hope they don't harbor more than one of Terrell-Bailey-Martin. Bailey would be the obvious pick due to Carroll's affinity for him.

Again, the WR situation is more my picks rather than the team picks which why I tempered the situation in my comments that ultimately I think Kearse makes it.

As for Tukuafu vs Coleman, if your 2 FBs are better than your 3rd TE, I think you should build around that. Tukuafu might not be needed at DT this year but thier is value for it on the practice field. And he has the best upside to be a blocking TE which is value especially over Helfet. Cant see McCoy making the team.

As for O-line, I said they would keep 10 and also said that I didnt know who they would keep after the top 7. LJP wasnt in that top 7. They very well could keep 9 OL and if you think that and they keep 3 TEs wouldnt that necessarily suggest they might carry 5 RBs? Which still could put a Coleman and Tukuafu tandem in play in that theory.

And like I said DB was the most difficult position to project.

I like Blackmon too but age, cost, and dependability gave way to thought that the Seahawks might choose the younger, cheaper Burley and younger, cheaper, versatile Terill who looked subpar but was being groomed as the #1 FS all TC/PS with Earl's timeline uncertainty.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Overall not much wrong but I expect a few things to be different. I expect one less FB (Tukuafu) and one less DL (Dobbs) and then add an extra TE (Helfet) and an extra LB (Pinkins). One FB is enough in today's game and our DL rotation is deep enough, especially considering Bruce Irvin is pretty much a semi-DL at this point. The extra TE is because of Pete saying he wants to do more 2-TE sets. Seems a bit risky to lose a part of your playbook when either Luke Wilson or Graham gets injured. The extra LB is simply because I feel the depth at DL and DB are enough at 8 and 10 respectively, while 6 for LB might be a bit on the low side.

Other than that I'd change a few guys. Kearse is obviously going to make the roster, no matter how bad he is hated around here by some of you. He'll make it instead of Daniels, Smith is simply outplaying him at all fronts (I see him as a better back up returner for Lockett and as a WR he's definitely better). Williams adds more dynamic to the passing game than Daniels by a fair amount. If they really want a third QB they'll just take Archer and leave out a player from a deeper position group. LJP has just been cut so he has to be replaced by someone, my pick would be Keavon Milton. On defense I'd take Ronald Martin Jr over Steven Terrell. I also think either Burley, Smith or Shead has to make room for Blackmon.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Having Kevin Smith and BJ Daniel seems redundant. Both are backup return guys and the difference between each other isn't much. Smith has shown a bit more as a receiver in my eyes. I think he gets the nod.

Of course that depends on how much Seattle values Daniels as an emergency QB..

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3763vjj9 said:
Having Kevin Smith and BJ Daniel seems redundant. Both are backup return guys and the difference between each other isn't much. Smith has shown a bit more as a receiver in my eyes. I think he gets the nod.

Of course that depends on how much Seattle values Daniels as an emergency QB..

Daniels has struggled of late as a receiver and in coverage on special teams. But my feeling is that they could keep Daniels as an emergency QB for a few weeks until Jackson is fully recovered from his high ankle sprain, or they need to free up a spot at another position, or Richardson returns from the PUP. Either way, Daniels is a stop gap.

kearly

Reaction score
grizbob":2sdrl0x2 said:
I'm still trying to find out if prepubescent is a bad word ;)

Jared from Subway thinks the thread title is hot.

kearly

Reaction score
Kearse is at least the 4th best healthy WR right now, but even if he was our 8th best, I'd expect him to make the team. He is one of the few pass catchers that Wilson trusts, and he plays the deep ball incredibly well in a WR group that is mostly weak in that area.

Sometimes the Seahawks do zany things, like cutting players who immediately start for other teams so that they can keep guys like John Lotulelei and Mike Person. Maybe they keep BJ Daniels, but to my eye he looks like he's a year or two away from looking like an NFL player. Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams look like NFL players right now.

I really like how our depth showed up this preseason at DT. Now I get why Seattle didn't draft one, then cut McDaniel.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
My Projected 53

QB (2)
01 Russell Wilson
02 Tarvaris Jackson

RB (5)
03 Marshawn Lynch
04 Robert Turbin
05 Christine Michael
06 Thomas Rawls
07 Derrick Coleman

WR (6)
08 Doug Baldwin
09 Jermaine Kearse
10 Tyler Lockett
11 Ricardo Lockette
12 Chris Matthews
13 Kevin Smith

TE (3)
14 Jimmy Graham
15 Luke Willson
16 Cooper Helfet

OL (9)
17 Russell Okung
18 Justin Britt
19 Drew Novak
20 JR Sweezy
21 Garry Gilliam
22 Terry Poole
23 Kristjan Sokoli
24 Mark Glowinski
25 Keavon Milton (I do believe Samson Satele will be in this spot though in the not so distant future)

DL (9)
26 Cliff Avril
27 Michael Bennett
28 Brandon Mebane
29 Ahtyba Rubin
30 Jordan Hill
31 Frank Clark
32 Cassius Marsh
33 TY McGill
34 Demarcus Dobbs

LB (6)
35 Bruce Irvin
36 Bobby Wagner
37 KJ Wright
38 Mike Morgan
39 Kevin Pierre-Louis
40 Brock Coyle

CB (6)
41 Richard Sherman
42 Cary Williams
43 Will Blackmon
44 Tharold Simon
45 Marcus Burley
46 Tye Smith

S (4)
47 Earl Thomas
48 Dion Bailey
49 DeShawn Shead
50 Ronald Martin

K
51 Steven Hauschka

P
52 Jon Ryan

LS
53 Clint Gresham

PUP List
WR Paul Richardson
CB Jeremy Lane

Injured Reserve
CB Mohammed Seisay

Reserved - DNR
S Kam Chancellor

Practice Squad
QB RJ Archer, QB/WR BJ Daniels, WR Kasen Williams, RB Rod Smith, FB Brandon Cottom, LB Eric Pinkins, LB Obum Gwachum, CB Douglas McNeil, S Steven Terrell, Open Slot for 10th

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":o47v534o said:
OL (9)
17 Russell Okung
18 Justin Britt
19 Drew Novak
20 JR Sweezy
21 Garry Gilliam
22 Terry Poole
23 Kristjan Sokoli
24 Mark Glowinski
25 Keavon Milton (I do believe Samson Satele will be in this spot though in the not so distant future)

Cable did say Patrick Lewis beat out Jeanpierre for the backup center position with his consistency. Alvin Bailey is locked in due to his versatility and experience as a backup. Cable also lauded Mark Glowinski. He said Keavon Milton and Terry Poole have been up and down. Sokoli was not mentioned.

I think these are the eight who are locked in . . .
1 Russell Okung
2 Justin Britt
3 Drew Novak
4 JR Sweezy
5 Garry Gilliam
6. Mark Glowinski
7. Alvin Bailey
8. Patrick Lewis

Cable mentioned there would be four OR five guys who would make the roster behind those starters. That leaves one or possibly two spots available for Terry Poole, Keavon Milton, Kristjan Sokoli, and Will Perciak.

My guess is that Terry Poole would be the favorite for the 9th spot due to the importance of developing another OT.

olyfan63

Reaction score
kearly":3ql5x0o1 said:
...Maybe they keep BJ Daniels, but to my eye he looks like he's a year or two away from looking like an NFL player. Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams look like NFL players right now.

I really like how our depth showed up this preseason at DT. Now I get why Seattle didn't draft one, then cut McDaniel.

We "sort of" drafted a DT in Frank Clark in that he's played a bunch of 3-Tech this preseason. But yeah, officially he's a DE.

Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams sure made non-special-teamer Norwood expendable in a hurry. Williams evoked memories of Golden Tate on his catch and run last game. I have no idea how the roster will shake out, except I hope we keep those two, and BJ has been average to horrible as a KR-WR so I only see him making the team as a QB3.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
olyfan63":vo0mfscv said:
kearly":vo0mfscv said:
...Maybe they keep BJ Daniels, but to my eye he looks like he's a year or two away from looking like an NFL player. Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams look like NFL players right now.

We "sort of" drafted a DT in Frank Clark in that he's played a bunch of 3-Tech this preseason. But yeah, officially he's a DE.

Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams sure made non-special-teamer Norwood expendable in a hurry. Williams evoked memories of Golden Tate on his catch and run last game. I have no idea how the roster will shake out, except I hope we keep those two, and BJ has been average to horrible as a KR-WR so I only see him making the team as a QB3.

I actually wouldnt mind Kasen and Kevin to make the team. They both seem like potential talents rather than projects which BJ Daniels as become.

I was getting hung up on his ability to be a QB3 but the Seahawks arent even using him to that ability in any way. Reps are important.

Baldwin
Kearse
Lockett
Matthews
Smith
Williams

That looks like the best WR corps top to bottom.

When the team was going to cut then traded Norwood, the team lost a 4th round pick and a WR with 3 years of club control.

So it would make sense for the Seahawks to realistically hold on to both Smith and Williams and hope one or both develop. Both have 3 years of club control plus an RFA season.

It also occured to me that depending on Richardson's status in mid October, there's a small possibility that Kearse could be traded at the Nov 3. Deadline.

1. WRs on the 53-man roster have to stay healthy and off I.R.

2. Lockett, Matthews, plus the 5th and 6th WRs, who we will just speculate and project as Smith and Williams have to continue to get better, more consistent, and most importantly build excellent chemistry with Wilson within the first two months.

3. Kearse has to impress and be consistent himself but he also has to get naturally phased out the offense by the immediate competing recieving talent around him: Baldwin, Lockett, Matthews, Graham, Willson, Lynch (the reciever) , and Fred Jackson (the reciever) if he signs.

4. Richardson has to come back strong and ready. Players off of the PUP list are allowed to begin practice Oct 16. The trade deadline is Nov. 3. The Seahawks roughly will have 17 of the 21 allotted practice days to evaluate P-Rich. Which should be enough to know.

If P-Rich is good to go and points #1, #2, #3 are checked, I could see the Seahawks trading Kearse. Depending on injury situations, a truly WR desperate team who manage to competetive might go as high as a 5th round pick for a Kearse. But just getting a 6th round pick seems like it could be a win.

Seahawks would also be able to shed half his salary saving like 1.2m.

Not saying its going to happen but it is a possibility.

Cutting or trading Kearse before the season might not make sense, however, after half a season of further evaluation and player progression. If Kearse is naturally phased out of the offense by better players, and Richardson is a full go, I could see how moving on from Kearse at the trade deadline could be an option getting a pick and shedding cap.