My preseason 2 cents

Tical21

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2epzrmme said:
Tical21":2epzrmme said:
I'll take that as a "uhhhh, yeahhh, I guess you were right, I have no idea what I'm talking about."

That's the "a running back needs to read his blockers!" There was no hole where he was going . . . there was an obvious hole to his right that he would have seen if he possessed a modicum of vision.

DBb0a8b
If Sweezy does his job this is very well a touchdown. Again. Michael gets a plus from the coaching staff 100 out of 100 on this play, and Sweezy gets a minus, 100 times out of 100. Sorry if that doesn't fit your perception.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm rewatching the game, and I'm at the KC TD and Irvin just runs along behind Maclin like he'd given up! He could have cut back towards the LOS and tried to pick that pass off at least! It's obvious he's not going to run down Maclin, but he can at least attempt to break on the pass!

We saw this exact same play with Maclin lined up in the backfield earlier. Somebody should have realized that.

And I'm beginning to think that we overpaid for Cary Williams.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":3s0urj0m said:
hawknation2015":3s0urj0m said:
Tical21":3s0urj0m said:
I'll take that as a "uhhhh, yeahhh, I guess you were right, I have no idea what I'm talking about."

That's the "a running back needs to read his blockers!" There was no hole where he was going . . . there was an obvious hole to his right that he would have seen if he possessed a modicum of vision.

DBb0a8b
If Sweezy does his job this is very well a touchdown. Again. Michael gets a plus from the coaching staff 100 out of 100 on this play, and Sweezy gets a minus, 100 times out of 100. Sorry if that doesn't fit your perception.

Power 1c

Power 1d

Gore 20 yards 1a

Gore 20 yards 1b

Enjoy!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
It takes a while for mental processing of the play on the turf to slow down so that the field of vision increases as well as his awareness of the play. I expect his play to improve with every game. Will he ever be "hitting on all eight cylinders"?
Who knows?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Tical21":1c6up2nv said:
hawknation2015":1c6up2nv said:
Tical21":1c6up2nv said:
hawknation2015":1c6up2nv said:
He also doesn't read the play or his blockers very well. There were a couple players where that was particularly evident.
Okay, I'll bite. I could watch again but I wasn't seeing holes on many of the plays where he didn't get through the line.

On this play, which I mentioned in a different thread, I feel a better RB would have read his blockers to the left sideline, running off the TE, as opposed to diving head first into an unblocked DT. I think Marshawn, in particular, would have gone for a first down by reading this run off the TE.

IdenticalCalculatingKingsnake
55 maintains outside leverage on Willson, as he is taught to do. Willson does a nice job on the kickout, like he is taught to do. If Michael goes outside this play ends up in no gain and he gets his ass ripped for not getting up in the hole. If Sweezy doesn't wiff on his cut, Michael is still running.

You are making the assumption that the hole was up the middle. With this piece meal offensive line, I don't think we can know what the play call was. And does Cable tell them "Even if the NT breaks through untouched, you run right at him." I could see him telling Turbin that who was constantly "stomping on snakes." But I haven't heard of Christine having an indecision issue, just maybe a bad decision making issue.

It does look like Michael had some room up the left side on that play, but it's hard to tell.

I for one though, with the "emergency" moving of OL, and the "emergency" flying in of Evan Mathis can't believe that this preseason is going to be like any other. The main thing right now is to find out who of the backups can make positive yardage behind this makeshift OLine.

I don't think Michael is going to make the 53. He needs to be traded and they should put Rawls in at #3. Once he gets some reps, I think his superiority at RB will make itself evident.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't have the experience to recognize a play call from a short clip, but watching it over and over, it looks to me like Christine starts outside, then turns and heads up the middle.

It would be awfully nice if Cable would spend more time telling fans what's going down during preseason games. It's not like he would be giving away secrets. More Chalk Talk from Brock Huard is what we need.

Fade

Reaction score
ivotuk":2f82ccdb said:
I'm rewatching the game, and I'm at the KC TD and Irvin just runs along behind Maclin like he'd given up! He could have cut back towards the LOS and tried to pick that pass off at least! It's obvious he's not going to run down Maclin, but he can at least attempt to break on the pass!

We saw this exact same play with Maclin lined up in the backfield earlier. Somebody should have realized that.

Maclin used a subtle move to freeze Irvin. Irvin was dead in the water at that point. That's on the coaches / communication Irvin should never be matched up 1 on 1 with no help on Jeremy Maclin.

The Cary Williams play was a miscommunication as well, at least I hope it was.

Fade

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3t3ve7at said:
[vine]eDdbEKwnDMB[/vine]

This is the play a couple of us noticed where KJ ran into his speed limitation. This vid was supposed to depict how stupid it is to try and crackback on Bane, but KJ messed up here. He needs to take a better angle on this one. He's quick, but not that fast.

Still, he made quite a few good reads this game and looked to be back to his 2013 form. 2014 was kind of ugly too often. Hopefully he continues to look like the former.
Yup, that was the play I was referring to.
Fade":3t3ve7at said:
6) K.J. Wright overall had a good game, however he took a bad angle and allowed that big 3rd down run by Knile Davis that took them down goal to go.

Tical21

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2hzmyxre said:
Tical21":2hzmyxre said:
hawknation2015":2hzmyxre said:
Tical21":2hzmyxre said:

DBb0a8b

Power 1c

Power 1d

Gore 20 yards 1a

Gore 20 yards 1b

Enjoy!
This isn't power. It's an inside counter. Completely different hole and angles. They're using misdirection to setup their second level blocks. The pulling guard and fullback both have kickouts.

Fade

Reaction score
DavidSeven":jte9ietx said:
Fade":jte9ietx said:
2) Kris Richard it going to be a Head Coach next year that is how highly I think of him, but he & Pete got out coached by Andy Reed. Having Bruce Irvin matched up with their #1 Wide Receiver Jeremy Maclin just by simply lining him up in the backfield.

Personally, I think Reid just outcoached himself. It was plain stupid to put that on tape during a meaningless preseason game. SEA just stayed in its base defense as you would expect given that it's preseason and who cares. No one's winning trophies for schemes right now. All it does is guaranty DEN and SD are going to think about how to defend it before real games even start.

That is a good point. I was evaluating the situation as if it were a regular season game. Andy Reed should not have put that on film. He probably has a counter, but still.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Fade":385ppjjn said:
ivotuk":385ppjjn said:

Maclin used a subtle move to freeze Irvin. Irvin was dead in the water at that point. That's on the coaches / communication Irvin should never be matched up 1 on 1 with no help on Jeremy Maclin.

Here it is . . .

ShortPerfumedBaboon

hawknation2015

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":fueuasu5 said:
hawknation2015":fueuasu5 said:
Here was the most infamous mistake by Michael in this game:

ThunderousGlaringHatchetfish

It was an outside zone read to the left, but Michael stays to the right, which forces Archer to improvise by running it himself.

BreakableFoolhardyGrayfox

A costly mistake by Michael, as there were some nice blocks on this play by the left side of the line. Michael was left shaking his head after the play.

LOL yeah I remember this one, First I was like why is Archer running did they design a run play for Archer, I was like this dude is too slow to be running, until they reshow what had happened.

I bet you like what Michael did here as well. :177692:

kearly

Reaction score
Love reading the breakdowns Tical. That is awesome stuff.

Tical21

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3q4gbtyy said:
Fade":3q4gbtyy said:
ivotuk":3q4gbtyy said:

Here it is . . .

ShortPerfumedBaboon
it is a little weird that he bit on that, knowing he has flat responsibility. I'm not sure what he was thinking Maclin was about to do. Maybe angle back to the inside I guess, but even then, he should shade outside.

Fade

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3uxoo44c said:
Fade":3uxoo44c said:
2) Kris Richard it going to be a Head Coach next year that is how highly I think of him, but he & Pete got out coached by Andy Reed. Having Bruce Irvin matched up with their #1 Wide Receiver Jeremy Maclin just by simply lining him up in the backfield.
I hope number 2 isnt true...cant we have some freaking consistency with our DC. We have what..our 3rd coach in 4 years? You would think the best defense in the NFL could have the same freaking coach year to year without having to change. It is VERY VERY annoying
Owners fire so many coaches, this is the way it is. Since Pete doesn't hold his coaches back, and the Hawks will have the #1 Defense again. Richard is gone. :cry:

Bradley, Quinn, & Richard have to flop hard (Bradley already is, and I pray he doesn't come back to the Hawks.) Before owners start leaving SEA DCs alone.

Fade

Reaction score
Tical21":32d2863a said:
hawknation2015":32d2863a said:
Fade":32d2863a said:
ivotuk":32d2863a said:

Here it is . . .

ShortPerfumedBaboon
it is a little weird that he bit on that, knowing he has flat responsibility. I'm not sure what he was thinking Maclin was about to do. Maybe angle back to the inside I guess, but even then, he should shade outside.

Yes sloppy technique for a Corner. Bruce Irvin isn't a Corner. The gif is a little late because Maclin is all ready out of the backfield, but he sold with his outside shoulder he was going up field.

Mismatch. Bruce Irvin on an island against Jeremy Maclin.

*edit* You are right Tical on how Irvin should have played it to give himself the best chance.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Fade":8gmctl7d said:
Tical21":8gmctl7d said:
hawknation2015":8gmctl7d said:
Fade":8gmctl7d said:

Here it is . . .

ShortPerfumedBaboon

Yes sloppy technique for a Corner. Bruce Irvin isn't a Corner. The gif is a little late because Maclin is all ready out of the backfield, but he sold with his outside shoulder he was going up field.

Mismatch. Bruce Irvin on an island against Jeremy Maclin.

Here's the other angle they showed:
UnimportantEmbarrassedEarwig

kearly

Reaction score
With regards to Michael, it's important to remember that Friday was just one preseason game and whether he played well or poorly shouldn't really change anyone's opinion on him very much at this point.

I thought he had a mixed performance with some silver linings. We've seen better from him as a runner and also worse. The block he threw on Ford was insane (Ford had a broken rib from the hit). He showed better ball security, though he needs to learn to not stick the ball out for the extra foot when he's 6 yards short of the marker. I think that's just him trying too hard. He always plays 100% amped up, sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad.

The call he missed sure looked dumb, but it's really not all that different from any other mental error, like for example a lineman forgetting the snap count. Speaking for myself, when I forgot the snap count or the playcall it was because I had a lot on my mind and lost focus. It makes you look pretty dumb, but it happens sometimes.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2015":a27qbkhz said:
Here's the other angle they showed:
UnimportantEmbarrassedEarwig

Thanks for the full view HN2015,

Yup, See when Maclin clears the LOS he takes 2 hard steps up field keeping his outside shoulder square, Irvin freezes a tick / protects inside?, Maclin reads it breaks outside. TD.