My preseason 2 cents

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1j8pg5f6 said:
Tical21":1j8pg5f6 said:
hawknation2015":1j8pg5f6 said:
He also doesn't read the play or his blockers very well. There were a couple players where that was particularly evident.
Okay, I'll bite. I could watch again but I wasn't seeing holes on many of the plays where he didn't get through the line.

On this play, which I mentioned in a different thread, I feel a better RB would have read his blockers to the left sideline, running off the TE, as opposed to diving head first into an unblocked DT. I think Marshawn, in particular, would have gone for a first down by reading this run off the TE.

IdenticalCalculatingKingsnake

This is Cable's quote about working with Marshawn

Because this is a system that asks backs to do things a certain way. Once you get in and through the line of scrimmage, then do your thing. You can do all the craziness you want then. But you've got to do it this way from A to B. And he bought in from A to B. And after that, what you do from C on is you.

What I see is Cable telling his RB to hit a hole, the problem is what if there is no hole to hit in the gap that they are suppose to hit, this is where Lynch is very incredible in. There were so many times where we think Lynch is hit at the LOS but he keeps churning and always move forward, and most of the time he would shed that first block like nothing. Our Backups can't do that, they rely more on their speed to hit those holes.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":wu38btf1 said:
What I see is Cable telling his RB to hit a hole, the problem is what if there is no hole to hit in the gap that they are suppose to hit, this is where Lynch is very incredible in. There were so many times where we think Lynch is hit at the LOS but he keeps churning and always move forward, and most of the time he would shed that first block like nothing. Our Backups can't do that, they rely more on their speed to hit those holes.

Between Turbin and Michael, the backups also have a serious deficiency in reading their blockers and tackle-breaking ability. Not just below Marshawn, who is better at those things than anyone, but below the average NFL backup.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Here was the most infamous mistake by Michael in this game:

ThunderousGlaringHatchetfish

It was an outside zone read to the left, but Michael stays to the right, which forces Archer to improvise by running it himself.

BreakableFoolhardyGrayfox

A costly mistake by Michael, as there were some nice blocks on this play by the left side of the line. Michael was left shaking his head after the play.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2q5mcjul said:
theincrediblesok":2q5mcjul said:

Between Turbin and Michael, the backups also have a serious deficiency in reading their blockers and tackle-breaking ability. Not just below Marshawn, who is better at those things than anyone, but below the average NFL backup.

Yeah I get it, Cmike was looking there the whole way but decided to go in the middle instead, made it look like that was the play call to pretend to go on the outside and then force your way in the middle.

It looked like Sweezy was suppose to chop block two guys, but 96 was able to get over him, which led to the Cmike tackle. Some of these plays like Cable says would get 2 yards, 4 yards, pounding that defense until it's tired, and then you start gashing them. Could it be that's what Cable wants to see, that our RB follow orders and pound the defense.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2jk81bdl said:
Here was the most infamous mistake by Michael in this game:

ThunderousGlaringHatchetfish

It was an outside zone read to the left, but Michael stays to the right, which forces Archer to improvise by running it himself.

BreakableFoolhardyGrayfox

A costly mistake by Michael, as there were some nice blocks on this play by the left side of the line. Michael was left shaking his head after the play.

LOL yeah I remember this one, First I was like why is Archer running did they design a run play for Archer, I was like this dude is too slow to be running, until they reshow what had happened.

Tical21

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1sje04e9 said:
Tical21":1sje04e9 said:
hawknation2015":1sje04e9 said:
He also doesn't read the play or his blockers very well. There were a couple players where that was particularly evident.
Okay, I'll bite. I could watch again but I wasn't seeing holes on many of the plays where he didn't get through the line.

On this play, which I mentioned in a different thread, I feel a better RB would have read his blockers to the left sideline, running off the TE, as opposed to diving head first into an unblocked DT. I think Marshawn, in particular, would have gone for a first down by reading this run off the TE.

IdenticalCalculatingKingsnake
55 maintains outside leverage on Willson, as he is taught to do. Willson does a nice job on the kickout, like he is taught to do. If Michael goes outside this play ends up in no gain and he gets his ass ripped for not getting up in the hole. If Sweezy doesn't wiff on his cut, Michael is still running.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":17mi26yz said:
hawknation2015":17mi26yz said:
theincrediblesok":17mi26yz said:

Yeah I get it, Cmike was looking there the whole way but decided to go in the middle instead, made it look like that was the play call to pretend to go on the outside and then force your way in the middle.

It looked like Sweezy was suppose to chop block two guys, but 96 was able to get over him, which led to the Cmike tackle. Some of these plays like Cable says would get 2 yards, 4 yards, pounding that defense until it's tired, and then you start gashing them. Could it be that's what Cable wants to see, that our RB follow orders and pound the defense.

Here was another B.S. job by Michael of reading his blockers (though less obviously so).

LegalCriminalAlaskankleekai

What in the hell is Michael doing on this play? Nowak does a nice job sealing off the LDT. Sweezy pulls to his left and does a beautiful job taking out the LB. After hitting the gap behind Sweezy, there is a HUGE hole to Michael's right. Rather than reading Sweezy's excellent block, Michael once again decides to plow forward into defensive players. 10/10 Marshawn cuts right off Sweezy's block into daylight.

DBb0a8b

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
hawknation2015":29aiefgh said:
theincrediblesok":29aiefgh said:
hawknation2015":29aiefgh said:
theincrediblesok":29aiefgh said:

Here was another B.S. job by Michael of reading his blockers (though less obviously so).

What in the hell is Michael doing on this play? Nowak does a nice job sealing off the LDT. Sweezy pulls to his left and does a beautiful job taking out the LB. After hitting the gap behind Sweezy, there is a HUGE hole to Michael's right. Rather than reading Sweezy's excellent block, Michael once again decides to plow forward into defensive players. 10/10 Marshawn cuts right off Sweezy's block into daylight.

DBb0a8b

I think that's where Cmike has to develop the patience that Marshawn has

Tical21

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2mf1w1uh said:
theincrediblesok":2mf1w1uh said:
hawknation2015":2mf1w1uh said:
theincrediblesok":2mf1w1uh said:

DBb0a8b
The play is designed to go at an angle to the sidelines. Sweezy is supposed to get his head across, and he almost does. Once he almost does, Michael hits it, then Sweezy misses his target. I don't doubt that Marshawn feels that and cuts back, as he is much more patient than Michael is, but Marshawn wasn't always as good as he is now, and right now he's a HOF caliber player. If Sweezy gets his head across like he is supposed to, this is a house call.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":392v01xa said:
The play is designed to go at an angle to the sidelines. Sweezy is supposed to get his head across, and he almost does. Once he almost does, Michael hits it, then Sweezy misses his target. I don't doubt that Marshawn feels that and cuts back, as he is much more patient than Michael is, but Marshawn wasn't always as good as he is now, and right now he's a HOF caliber player. If Sweezy gets his head across like he is supposed to, this is a house call.

Dude . . .

QOA6goT.gif

That was a GREAT block by Sweezy. Michael failed to read it and instead charged headfirst into a blocked defender, when there was an obvious opening to the correct side of the block!

two dog

Reaction score
Jville":15xfgzra said:
Patrick Lewis:

I enjoyed the stout power of Patrick Lewis last year. His range was limited but he presented a different look (push) at center.

This year ..... too my eye ..... Patrick Lewis looks noticeably heavier and less rangy. His 2015 build looks more like that of a run stopping nose tackle. I think what he offers, is limited (specialized) compared to other options at center.

Gotta be something like that. I guess I remember the Patrick Lewis that was and
don't know much about the Patrick Lewis that is now.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1jeeowc7 said:
Tical21":1jeeowc7 said:

Dude . . .

QOA6goT.gif

That was a GREAT block by Sweezy. Michael failed to read it and instead charged headfirst into a blocked defender, when there was an obvious opening to the correct side of the block!

Could trying to imitate Marshawn's toughness and move the pile mentality be on these RBs' mind, it seems they all want to carry that torch, but few could actually do it.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":11zrwg36 said:
Could trying to imitate Marshawn's toughness and move the pile mentality be on these RBs' mind, it seems they all want to carry that torch, but few could actually do it.

This is what he should be trying to imitate! Read your blockers, Christine!

marshawn-lynch-touchdown-run-against-san-francisco.gif

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
hawknation2015":q2wfsqaa said:
theincrediblesok":q2wfsqaa said:

This is what he should be trying to imitate! Read your blockers, Christine!

marshawn-lynch-touchdown-run-against-san-francisco.gif

This is one of my favorite plays from Marshawn last year, he makes one guy miss, then stays behind Bailey patiently to play peekaboo and then sped off for 6.

Tical21

Reaction score
hawknation2015":30n0j2if said:
Tical21":30n0j2if said:

Dude . . .

QOA6goT.gif

One more time. When the play is taught, and when the play is drawn up. They draw a line at just about a 45 degree angle to the sidelines. This is the line the power play is supposed to stay on. As Michael hits this hole, you can see that line. Do you see it? If it works out, Michael ends up 1 on 1 with a safety. Right? Follow me so far? This is a staple play. They run this play every practice. Every single day. From the first day of camp, they run this play. From the first day of camp, every day, Sweezy is taught to get his head between the defender and the sidelines, to make a wall to the sidelines. Every day. Every single time that his head doesn't get across the defender, Sweezy gets chewed out for it. Every time. "Sweeze, you gotta get there." He hears that every time he doesn't get his head across. What looks like a great block to you is in actuality a pretty poor job. He was setup, he just lost his feet and didn't finish. You can see the second he realizes his head is on the wrong side, because he tries to lunge to get it done.

Sweezy missed his target. Plain and simple. He tried to get his head across, but let the defender get outside of him. You can say Michael should have felt it and cut back, but you can't give him a minus for not doing so. Michael thinks Sweezy is taking care of his job, and turns his concentration to beat the safety. I guarantee you, when this play was graded, Michael gets a plus, and Sweezy gets a minus.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Michael - Turbin - Ware - 2013 Preseason Highlights

This use to be on youtube, but it got taken out but i found another site to view it, those 3 looked great that preseason, I actually wished we still had Ware, i liked his running style.

http://vk.com/video-28863654_169372743

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":2mymwnm2 said:
hawknation2015":2mymwnm2 said:
Tical21":2mymwnm2 said:

Dude . . .

QOA6goT.gif

One more time. When the play is taught, and when the play is drawn up. They draw a line at just about a 45 degree angle to the sidelines. This is the line the power play is supposed to stay on. As Michael hits this hole, you can see that line. Do you see it? If it works out, Michael ends up 1 on 1 with a safety. Right? Follow me so far? This is a staple play. They run this play every practice. Every single day. From the first day of camp, they run this play. From the first day of camp, every day, Sweezy is taught to get his head between the defender and the sidelines, to make a wall to the sidelines. Every day. Every single time that his head doesn't get across the defender, Sweezy gets chewed out for it. Every time. "Sweeze, you gotta get there." He hears that every time he doesn't get his head across. What looks like a great block to you is in actuality a pretty poor job. He was setup, he just lost his feet and didn't finish. You can see the second he realizes his head is on the wrong side, because he tries to lunge to get it done.

Sweezy missed his target. Plain and simple. He tried to get his head across, but let the defender get outside of him. You can say Michael should have felt it and cut back, but you can't give him a minus for not doing so. Michael thinks Sweezy is taking care of his job, and turns his concentration to beat the safety. I guarantee you, when this play was graded, Michael gets a plus, and Sweezy gets a minus.

You are 100% wrong about his. See Britt blocking his man inside? Michael was supposed to go outside of Britt and Sweezy's blocks TO DAYLIGHT . . . not crash forward into blocked defenders like an idiot.

Tical21

Reaction score
hawknation2015":x7pe8x86 said:
Tical21":x7pe8x86 said:
hawknation2015":x7pe8x86 said:
Tical21":x7pe8x86 said:

Dude . . .

QOA6goT.gif

You are 100% wrong about his. See Britt blocking his man inside? Michael was supposed to go outside of Britt and Sweezy's blocks TO DAYLIGHT . . . not crash forward into blocked defenders like an idiot.
You're probably right, I've only run that play thousands of times. Britt was completely lost. He had an easy block and I don't think he knew his assignment.
[youtube]VHgj-qvUVTo[/youtube]

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":1z3fmahw said:
hawknation2015":1z3fmahw said:
Tical21":1z3fmahw said:
hawknation2015":1z3fmahw said:
Dude . . .

QOA6goT.gif

You're probably right, I've only run that play thousands of times. Britt was completely lost. He had an easy block and I don't think he knew his assignment.

This is really silly. There was no hole where Michael was going. Britt was blocking his man down. The defender Graham was blocking was getting inside of him. Sweezy correctly blocked the linebacker out. If he had put his head inside, there still would have been no space there. Michael plainly missed the massive hole that had developed to his right, courtesy of Sweezy/Britt. Very silly that you can't see how poorly Michael read his blockers on this play.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":3ritniks said:
I'll take that as a "uhhhh, yeahhh, I guess you were right, I have no idea what I'm talking about."

That's the "a running back needs to read his blockers!" There was no hole where he was going . . . there was an obvious hole to his right that he would have seen if he possessed a modicum of vision.

DBb0a8b

Latest posts