NBA Playoffs Thread

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
SonicHawk":6wqk4zlu said:
Hawkfan77":6wqk4zlu said:
Awesome series. Spurs should have won last year too, oh well. It doesn't look like they'll see a drop off for some time

What was awesome about this series?

Considering that the NHL playoffs went 5 games as well, that series at least felt like a battle. I've never been so disappointed in LeBron and family.
You seriously couldn't appreciate how well the Spurs played? They were almost flawless for an entire series. The ball movement, the uncontested shots, their shooting percentage. It was an amazing performance.

byau

Reaction score
My two teams were the Spurs and Mavericks this year, sad that they met each other in the first round... that being said, I hope Seahawks fans appreciate the parallels between the Spurs and the Hawks.

Besides both teams being counted out, both teams having heartbreaking losses last year... both teams played counter to what the popular trends were. This was even mentioned on ESPN Mike & Mike this morning.

Mike Golic said that just like how football is all about sexy offense, big passes, big scores, and that's what the Denver Broncos were all about, in comes the Seahawks with a throwback to the fundamental game of defense wins championships. Similarly in the NBA with the game now all about isolations and pick and rolls and big stars and plays of the game, here come the Spurs with fundamental offense, passing the ball, a second and third and fourth pass taking down the big all stars.

Congrats to the Spurs!

m0ng0

Reaction score
I have to admit I smiled watching the Spurs celebrate a good solid thrashing of the Heat :D I just like the way the Spurs organization does business.....

Uncle Si

Reaction score
byau":kdndir7i said:
My two teams were the Spurs and Mavericks this year, sad that they met each other in the first round... that being said, I hope Seahawks fans appreciate the parallels between the Spurs and the Hawks.

Besides both teams being counted out, both teams having heartbreaking losses last year... both teams played counter to what the popular trends were. This was even mentioned on ESPN Mike & Mike this morning.

Mike Golic said that just like how football is all about sexy offense, big passes, big scores, and that's what the Denver Broncos were all about, in comes the Seahawks with a throwback to the fundamental game of defense wins championships. Similarly in the NBA with the game now all about isolations and pick and rolls and big stars and plays of the game, here come the Spurs with fundamental offense, passing the ball, a second and third and fourth pass taking down the big all stars.

Congrats to the Spurs!

this wasnt Hickory High, that "fundamental" offense isnt the Spurs of old though. This wasnt the pick and roll with Duncan and Parker. They moved that ball through 5 sets of hands on nearly every possession. they were creative, fast and deadly with their shooting.

Really pleasing to watch to be honest.

If the Heat had to come from the West (seeding aside), do they play the Spurs in the Conference Championship? Better way of asking, could they have beaten the Thunder or even the Mavericks in a 7 game series?

byau

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2t2wtrtx said:
If the Heat had to come from the West (seeding aside), do they play the Spurs in the Conference Championship? Better way of asking, could they have beaten the Thunder or even the Mavericks in a 7 game series?

I think it would have been Spurs/Heat still. I don't think they have a problem with OKC. In fact I think the Heat pretty much beat every team that is not the Spurs or does not operate like the Spurs.

The Spurs move the ball almost by reflex and that comes from familiarity and coaching.

I am actually a dance choreographer and do a lot of complex team choreography - and while everyone can learn the choreography, you need to dance it on the floor with all people so that eventually you can do a certain move and trust that all other couples are doing the same moves, at the same angle, with the same arm height and angle so everyone looks synchronized. And there is no substitute for execution on the floor with the same people over and over and over again .

To me that's the Spurs. Superior talent, many years playing together where you almost know by instinct where everyone else will be when encountered with certain situations. They've been doing it for over 10 years together (the big three) and then those guys lead the other players as they are brought on and inserted into this 10 year old system (or rather, as a previous poster put it, a 10 year old EVOLVING system)

I think that's almost the only way you can beat the Heat, and no other team plays like that. Otherwise, the Heat beat everyone else.

This is why I can relate it to the Seahawks. We have our "big three" on defense locked up in Kam, Thomas, and Sherman in the backfield. Most importantly Thomas who has the on-field vision and directs everyone. And the mutual brotherly love and respect amongst those leaders. When the Hawks D have that brotherhood and familiarity, it is something hard to get over no matter what the individual talent.

byau

Reaction score
Oh, and congratulations to the Indiana Pacers who from the beginning of the season said their goal was to get the best record in the East and home court advantage in the playoffs.

You achieved that.

Next year hopefully you make a goal of beating the Heat, or maybe making the NBA Finals, or maybe winning a championship.

p.s. Thank you Russell Wilson for being a leader and, after the 2012-2013 season, setting out the goal for the Seahawks of the 2013-2014 season to win the Super Bowl.

#yougetwhatyouaskfor

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
8 seed takes overall #1 to 7 games. Spurs then steamroll the hell out of everyone else. Pretty funny, if you ask me.

byau

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":17cqjbc1 said:
8 seed takes overall #1 to 7 games. Spurs then steamroll the hell out of everyone else. Pretty funny, if you ask me.

Don't forget that they, as a # 1 seed, the Spurs LOST to the # 8 seed (Memphis) back in 2011.

I think that's when most of us, reporters and fans, decided the window was closed for the Spurs.

Guess who the Spurs acquired that summer? Kawhi Leonard. Drafted by Indiana, the Spurs traded their much loved George Hill to the Pacers to acquire Leonard.

Quoted by RC. Buford on that trade that summer instead of a total overhaul "None of our other options are better"

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
If we're comparing seahawks to Spurs, who is the Ginobili of the team? I want that bum cut yesterday.

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1ameascm said:
Throwdown":1ameascm said:
If we're comparing seahawks to Spurs, who is the Ginobili of the team? I want that bum cut yesterday.

Golden Tate, but don't tell Tokadub.

Makes sense, I can't stand either of em. Russ has gotta be our Duncan right?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Throwdown":10fjkb1f said:
volsunghawk":10fjkb1f said:
Throwdown":10fjkb1f said:

Golden Tate, but don't tell Tokadub.

Makes sense, I can't stand either of em. Russ has gotta be our Duncan right?

Too short.

HawkWow

Reaction score
-The Glove-":31rk1ziw said:
I'm not a Lebron fan...one would call me a Lebron hater. But there should be no disappointment in Lebron. He showed up to play and he was doing work. Too bad his team mates didn't

Same here. Don't like Lebron at all but my feelings are about the off court Lebron, not the on court Lebron..where he will likely prove to be top 10 all time.. When Lebron and his team mates hit the floor last night, Lebron (in his typically arrogant fashion) told them "Follow me". It looked like they thought he said "watch me".

I think we just watched the last time James and Wade will play together. That may actually serve Wade, who is all too happy to disappear when James is on the court.

Terrible series and for that I am grateful. Screw the NBA (until we get our Sonics back).

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
I think the injuries took their toll on Wade. He doesn't even look like the D Wade we once had in the conversation for best player in the NBA back from 05-2010. He's still good, but watching him is painful to watch, his body isn't as young as it should be. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see this Heat team go their own ways. Bosh lost a step, Wade a few, Allen is looking retirement in the face.

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
pmedic920":tiopd3zw said:
Throw, that core group of the spurs ain't no spring chickens. :{)

No, but they got a future plan with Kawhi Leonard, and Parker is good for a few more years, spurs ain't going no where for awhile

TravTex

Reaction score
Throwdown":dm0jccom said:
pmedic920":dm0jccom said:

No, but they got a future plan with Kawhi Leonard, and Parker is good for a few more years, spurs ain't going no where for awhile

Biggest future question mark is coaching, should Pop go with Timmy.

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
TravTex":2h9mv5xm said:
Throwdown":2h9mv5xm said:
pmedic920":2h9mv5xm said:

I'd stay in house, they pretty much do everything in house anyway so I think they will. But a guy who has the respect of the players and learned under Popovich can't be a bad idea right?

That Pop & RC relationship the more I read on it, is pretty similar to Pete & John though.

TravTex

Reaction score
Throwdown":1lj2c3su said:
TravTex":1lj2c3su said:
Throwdown":1lj2c3su said:
pmedic920":1lj2c3su said:

I'd stay in house, they pretty much do everything in house anyway so I think they will. But a guy who has the respect of the players and learned under Popovich can't be a bad idea right?

That Pop & RC relationship the more I read on it, is pretty similar to Pete & John though.

Sometimes think Pop is grooming Bonner, heh.

Thinking about a Pop-less Spurs team definitely can give a person the sads.

Popovich on Patty Mills: "He was a little fat ass."

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Lebron leaving Miami...?

Alleged pic of outside his house...

[youtube]ZBzNyPaycjM[/youtube]