Needs for 2016 draft

ivotuk

Reaction score
It's nice to come in to a thread after about 10 posts. It helps me formulate my own thoughts, and realize needs that I hadn't noticed before. Some good points by all. Especially kobe's thoughts that we don't really need that big receiver.

I like to start by asking myself, what is the most important thing this team can do next year? My answer, "Protect Russell Wilson" #$%@+!@#$%& For crying out loud, why can't we do that? I understand that we put our money in the defense, then pay an Oline coach big money to compensate, but i think we've seen that we've swung too far on that pendulum and need to bring it back toward the middle. Good Lord...

So, in my mind, the "illities" are one of the most important aspects of choosing a player, especially availability.

I'm a huge Okung fan, but this year's perception about Offensive Line prospects being few and far between will cause him to get paid in the 11 to 13 million per year range, if not higher. Trent Williams is averaging 13.6 and I believe he is a slightly better LT with less of an injury history.

Okung's poor play has me dumbfounded this year and I just don't see Pete overpaying for that when we can draft one in the first round for less money but higher availability.

1. LT

I think Rawls is a very good, tough running RB, and Rod Smith has looked really good. I don't see a special RB in our range in the first few rounds so I'm thinking defensive back. Maybe even a shorter one to play the slot which is one of our biggest weaknesses. (Or bring back Josh Wilson, yes, I still like him).

2. DB

I was thinking blocking tight end here, but we could probably sign one for not too much money. We need a good, mid-level Linebacker to settle down in between the gap created by elite level play of BWagz & KJ, and the back up level play of Mike Morgan and company.

I love Bruce Irvin's elite athleticism, but his focus just isn't there, and I think it will waver once he gets a new contract. He's good, but he's not worth the money that he is going to get offered by Dan Quinn. Thank you Bruce, for everything that you have done for this team and this fan base. You've earned a pay day, unfortunately we just don't have the money to pay you and to redo Kam's contract at the same time.

3. LB

I think DeShawn Shead is a great back up, and I'm not sure that we can find that caliber of SS in the 4th round, but it would be worth a shot, and I think we really need to invest in that position. Kam's no spring chicken. He's an elite, rare talent, who like Marshawn will probably last physically longer than humanly possible in spite of his hard hitting technique, but the time to start grooming a back up/replacement is now.

4. SS

We've got some good ones, but this is a good point in the draft to start looking for SPARQ gems for the Dline. Preferably someone to play inside.

5. DT

Again, a good place to look for athletic freaks, this time in the TE/Tackle mold and try to find another Jason Peters to groom for tackle.

6. TE/T

Start shooting for the moon here, looking for a running back or wide receiver that was injured, overlooked, underplayed and who might become a superstar with the right coaching and development. Maybe find a John L. Williams or a Leonard Weaver.

7. RB/WR/FB

Always looking for those guys on the Dline who just need a chance and can stop the run. Tough guys that will do the dirty work and leave the glory for their brethren on the back end.

UDFA. DT/NT.

nategreat

Reaction score
1) OL
2) RB
3) OL
4) OL
5) Trade pick to move up in draft to grab an OL
6) OL
7) OL

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
While I'm loathe to ape the opinion of OL in this regard, especially since we basically drafted three prospects just this past year, I think it's worth revisiting the successes and failures of the last couple years.

If anything, I'd hope that Seattle doesn't continue to just sit back and let the draft fall to them in regards to OL prospects that they (presumably) are high on. It runs counter to our draft philosophy -- but I think the results would have been worth it.

We have kind of a 'collective whisper' understanding of players Seattle wanted atop their OL draft boards.

2013: Kyle Long
2014: Zach Martin
2015: Mitch Morse

Players Seattle was heavily linked to. None of these players were the top 10 overall kinds of pie in the sky players. These were players who in most cases could have been aggressively moved up for in the draft. Each one would have been stalwart day one starters for this team. And each of these players really have looked from day one to be exceptional players worth a second contract.

Now obviously, we got value elsewhere by not moving up for them. But I do think there is evidence to suggest that we're not that bad actually at identifying good rookie talent on the OL. Where we've fallen short is being able to account for the reality that teams across the league are overpaying for OL talent in general. And probably most important, we've fallen short with the expectation that the alternatives later on our list were going to be close approximations of the guys we didn't pursue. The leftovers on our list have been significantly worse than the ones we didn't get or actually passed on (Bitonio). I don't think it's realistic to expect that we should eventually 'get our guy' without accepting the fact that our guys are getting snatched up earlier than we pick. Not ridiculously earlier than we pick. In some cases just a few spots ahead of us.

I'd like to see Seattle aggressively go after 'their guy'. Because I think they've been pretty spot on in evaluating the really good 2nd tier talents in the last several drafts. One could make the case that even Carpenter was the best of a bad tier 2 class. So if anything, I'd like to see them really go after the one guy they really like.

And in particular, looking at the roster as is, I think there is enough to be excited about as far as the development players we have. Not sure we need a lot more bulk quantity type projects. Maybe more go after quality and still allow for the development of the guys we have. Particularly since this time next year we'll be looking at new 1st year starters at probably one or two positions on the line.

gmor

Reaction score
In no particular order since it's early:
Safety- Getting ready for more Kam drama as well as filing needed depth.
LT-Okung might price himself out of here
DT - Mebane is probably gone after this year.
Take the best of what's left...

We do have people that could develop and help out. Simon, T. Smith at CB, K. Williams at WR, Glowinski and Sokoli at OG comes to mind.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I'd like one of the corners from Michigan. Re watching the tape, it seems pretty apparent that Williams is the issue. We aren't even running our base cover 3 most of the time, so we can cover up his inability to cover 1 on 1.

randomation

Reaction score
chris98251":hmkxwt6r said:
We can't get what we need in the draft, only if the right Coach is fired and his OC is available.

Now I'm curious which one?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
My 2016 Seahawk draft using first-pick.com.

Your score is: 7224 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 15: Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss (A+)
Round 2 Pick 19 (MIA): Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama (A+)
Round 3 Pick 15: Sheldon Day, DT, Notre Dame (A)
Round 3 Pick 19 (MIA): Briean Boddy-Calhoun, CB, Minnesota (B)
Round 4 Pick 15: Josh Harvey-Clemons, SS/OLB, Louisville (A-)
Round 5 Pick 15: Trevone Boykin, QB/WR, TCU (B+)
Round 7 Pick 15: D'haquille Williams, WR, Auburn (A+)

Your Future Picks:
2017 Round 1 Pick
2018 Round 1 Pick

massari

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3kmx3esq said:
My 2016 Seahawk draft using first-pick.com.

Your score is: 7224 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 15: Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss (A+)
Round 2 Pick 19 (MIA): Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama (A+)
Round 3 Pick 15: Sheldon Day, DT, Notre Dame (A)
Round 3 Pick 19 (MIA): Briean Boddy-Calhoun, CB, Minnesota (B)
Round 4 Pick 15: Josh Harvey-Clemons, SS/OLB, Louisville (A-)
Round 5 Pick 15: Trevone Boykin, QB/WR, TCU (B+)
Round 7 Pick 15: D'haquille Williams, WR, Auburn (A+)

Your Future Picks:
2017 Round 1 Pick
2018 Round 1 Pick

I would be pissed if they took a RB in the 2nd, unless it's Elliot or Lynch is cut/traded/retired. Lynch/Rawls/Free Agent should be good enough until that loaded RB class in 2017.

Load up on OL/DL/CB/OLB/WR.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
With the development and proficiency of the OL beginning to establish itself now, I'd be curious to see if we've reshuffled some of the perceived needs heading into this next offseason.

Largent80

Reaction score
With Rawls emergence, all the posts from the beginning of the thread are moot.

I would still look for O-Line because Sweezy and Okung are F.A.

Can't rely on Richardson at WR, also Simon at CB.

getnasty

Reaction score
Give me another big CB in the 1st, then from there i'll go WR, OL, LB, RB, DL in no particular order. I would think that we need to find replacements for Mebane, Irvin, Lynch, and Okung. It always makes me nervous trusting guys like KPL, Rawls, Hill, Richardson and Simon, tons of talents but who knows if they'll ever be able to stay healthy

HawkGA

Reaction score
Largent80":3qdp835e said:
With Rawls emergence, all the posts from the beginning of the thread are moot.

I was thinking the same thing. I clicked on this thread not realizing it was originally an old thread and I was thinking, "what the heck is wrong with these people????"

I see the Hawks trading out of the first round again but hopefully still focusing on Tackles (heck, maybe 2!), then maybe a center (though that would probably come further down in the draft, I wouldn't mind seeing them go a little higher). CB should be another priority. After that I see largely LB and DT for depth. Maybe, maybe an SS but I don't know.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Few guys I'd consider 'special' and worth a late first pick on:

Desmond King CB Iowa -- He really has a Sherman kind of vibe to him. Very physical and savvy on the field. Uses the sideline well. Looks like decent length. Always seems to be around the receiver and lurking to make plays on the ball. Very often seems to be running the receiver's route for him. Very solid tackler. A team leader and a guy who is well reputed in terms of work ethic. IMO, the top CB prospect in the draft even though he might be the 4th CB or later chosen.

Shon Coleman. Very solid player. Much more athletic IMO than Greg Robinson who enjoyed a meteoric rise up draft boards after declaration day and through the combine/pre draft. I'm similarly very impressed with him and if he's still around by pick 16, I'd hope we get aggressive and move up to get him. I expect him to rise as the process moves along similar to how Aaron Donald and Odell Beckham did leading to the draft.

Will Fuller WR Notre Dame. He is an electric player. Very similar to Tyler Lockett with respect to how excellent he is at running routes. Very precise cuts -- runs routes exactly as they are drawn on paper. Superior speed. Very elusive. And I'd say better hands than Lockett. He is a WR that I could get on board with a late first even if he's graded in the 45-60 range.

It looks like there should be options for really unique/quality players that could be high on our boards that aren't on other teams' boards. Seattle should have the ability to add starter level quality on day 1.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Agree with a lot here that I would like to see thew O-line get addressed through the draft and that doesn't mean defensive conversion projects. I would even like to see them grab a center in the first. We have seen what Russel can do when he has time in the pocket and it is beautiful.

London12

Reaction score
Do we think a corner is going to be our top priority?

My thoughts would be

CB x 1
Offensive line x many
Defensive line x a few

Maybe linebacker
Maybe a WR if there's a talented one available

This will be my first draft where I actually get What's going on, I'm looking forward to it.

aredub

Reaction score
I hope we trade our first pick for more picks. I know it's not popular but I'd love to get an additional second and maybe 4th rd pick. Needs in order in my opinion, OL, DT, CB, LB, WR, RB, back up QB.

i would like to see us draft a QB to groom, seeing all these teams struggling if their QB goes down I'd like to have some hope that we'd be able to win with someone else in there. TJack doesn't do it for me. Though I trust him to call the coin toss. :thirishdrinkers: