Needs for 2016 draft

massari

Reaction score
Depending what they do in free agency and if they're able to sign a LT, it seems like they're in the position to pick the BPA out of OL/DL/CB/WR/OLB.

I'm not sure I understand why some people want to pick a RB early. I'd be fine going into next season with Rawls, Michael (if re-signed for cheap) and signing a cheap 3rd down guy like Fred Jackson, Jacquizz Rodgers, Knowshon Moreno or whoever else is available. Drafting a RB late and/or signing a UDFA to compete for a spot would make sense to me. Is it that people just aren't sold on Michael yet? Seems like they could wait until next years deep RB class.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
massari":2n6n9nij said:
I'm not sure I understand why some people want to pick a RB early. I'd be fine going into next season with Rawls, Michael (if re-signed for cheap) and signing a cheap 3rd down guy like Fred Jackson,

Having a young/rookie deal RB from a cap perspective is a healthy thing to have for that 2nd/3rd back role.

Michael has done well for himself. Should be signed somewhere. May or may not be here. Having sufficient motivation for him seems to be a necessary element for him realizing his potential.

Also, as we've seen already -- RB depth for this team is pretty key. We were fortunate that Michael has produced in the manner he has. Pete like to have a lot of depth here. And this draft has some options in the late day 2 range that should fit our profile and need. It's not a given that Michael will be cheap. Nor is it a given that his previous issues won't arise again.

The RB group, even if it's Rawls/Michael/Jackson next year needs a 4th. I'm incredibly fond of Dixon as a 60th to 95th overall selection for this team. His skills fit what we like in our runners, and his 3rd down value is pretty exceptional both in protection and as a receiver. If he progresses well, he's a guy who could supplant some of those on the depth chart. If we suffer injury similar to this year -- we're in a better position to fill it from within.

Running is a key element to our success. We don't have a good mirror for Jackson on this team. A player like Dixon can be a mirror for both Jackson and Rawls/Michael. That kind of versatility is highly valuable for a team that commits to the run like we do.

kearly

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but center is starting to look like a need again after the last few games.

massari

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":gafnpsj9 said:
massari":gafnpsj9 said:
I'm not sure I understand why some people want to pick a RB early. I'd be fine going into next season with Rawls, Michael (if re-signed for cheap) and signing a cheap 3rd down guy like Fred Jackson,

Having a young/rookie deal RB from a cap perspective is a healthy thing to have for that 2nd/3rd back role.

Michael has done well for himself. Should be signed somewhere. May or may not be here. Having sufficient motivation for him seems to be a necessary element for him realizing his potential.

Also, as we've seen already -- RB depth for this team is pretty key. We were fortunate that Michael has produced in the manner he has. Pete like to have a lot of depth here. And this draft has some options in the late day 2 range that should fit our profile and need. It's not a given that Michael will be cheap. Nor is it a given that his previous issues won't arise again.

The RB group, even if it's Rawls/Michael/Jackson next year needs a 4th. I'm incredibly fond of Dixon as a 60th to 95th overall selection for this team. His skills fit what we like in our runners, and his 3rd down value is pretty exceptional both in protection and as a receiver. If he progresses well, he's a guy who could supplant some of those on the depth chart. If we suffer injury similar to this year -- we're in a better position to fill it from within.

Running is a key element to our success. We don't have a good mirror for Jackson on this team. A player like Dixon can be a mirror for both Jackson and Rawls/Michael. That kind of versatility is highly valuable for a team that commits to the run like we do.
It's a bit of an assumption on my part that they'd be able to re-sign Michael cheap and that he'd be able to produce like he is currently, but assuming they do/he does, would a Rawls, Michael, Jackson(or a younger 3rd down FA), late round pick/UDFA be any less of a RB group then they've had the past couple seasons with Lynch, Turbin, Michael?

Even though it'd be a nice luxury to have drafting a guy early like Dixon, I just can't wrap my head around choosing another RB over a OL/DL/CB/WR/OLB that early in the draft unless they think the RB is far superior than everyone left on the board.

Maybe they can wait until next years "deep", "loaded" RB class to make a fairly high pick?

McGruff

Reaction score
I do believe that Michael is still going to be a restricted free agent. So if we want him, we can keep him for pretty cheap.

Tinymac2

Reaction score
OLB
DT
C
DB
SS
TE

RB's are a dime a dozen. Don't waste the pick.
Gilliam to LT, Britt to RT.

Pete always goes D early

Tinymac2

Reaction score
Well, after watching the game that shall not be mentioned, I'm changing my needs to:
LT
LG
C
DT
OLB
DE
CB

jake206

Reaction score
DT...this draft is stacked with them. And maybe a LT or 2 OL.

Chawker

Reaction score
Players that may not be with us for next year. Mebane, Lynch,Okung and Irvin.

So it would be to start by there replacement.

DT, RB, OT LB

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
With the season now officially over, time to park myself in this forum again. Hate seeing the Hawks come up short today, but great to look at all the screen names in this thread and look forward to a splendid off-season discussing the draft and our beloved Hawks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Interesting dilemma. If Derrick Henry is available in the first or second round when the Seahawks pick, do you pick him? With Lynch gone (most likely), there's a need at RB even with Thomas Rawls coming back. Henry could be one those guys that is extremely productive in the NFL. He fits power and physical running schemes. It would be nice 1-2 punch with Rawls/Henry. Here's his profile on NFL.com - http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/derrick-henry?id=2555221

IMO, he's a no brainer pick, if there, in the 2nd. Maybe a good choice in the 1st, if the OL guys like Conklin, Ifedi, Spriggs, and DL guys like Clark, Billings are taken.

McGruff

Reaction score
I like Henry a lot, but he's really not a true power back. He's a lot more like Shaun Alexander or Terrell Davis. He's a long strider with exceptional vision, but he goes down pretty easy.

I'd l9ve him in Seattle, but don't know if he fits the mold.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawkfan68":37qdr2nq said:
Interesting dilemma. If Derrick Henry is available in the first or second round when the Seahawks pick, do you pick him? With Lynch gone (most likely), there's a need at RB even with Thomas Rawls coming back. Henry could be one those guys that is extremely productive in the NFL. He fits power and physical running schemes. It would be nice 1-2 punch with Rawls/Henry. Here's his profile on NFL.com - http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/derrick-henry?id=2555221

IMO, he's a no brainer pick, if there, in the 2nd. Maybe a good choice in the 1st, if the OL guys like Conklin, Ifedi, Spriggs, and DL guys like Clark, Billings are taken.

I wouldn't take any Alabama RB. I actually hope we just sign a vet for a year and bring back Michael then draft a RB in 2017. Next years draft for RB could be like 2014 was for WR's

penihawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1o2atd4m said:
hawkfan68":1o2atd4m said:

I wouldn't take any Alabama RB. I actually hope we just sign a vet for a year and bring back Michael then draft a RB in 2017. Next years draft for RB could be like 2014 was for WR's

He fits power and physical running schemes? Only if your refering to Bamas line that consistantly got him to the second level untouched where he made his hay. If not he goes down on first contact. No thanks on Derrick Henry with any pick.

Largent80

Reaction score
Offensive line. We STUNK this year up front. Okung and Sweezy are F.A.

Britt is as meh as they come. We lost games because of the current inept players.

At RB, I would love to have Perkins from UCLA.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ivory, Blount, Polk all FA, if Lynch hangs them up those backs are the closest to a power back I think that would fit our system, Yeah those that want to bitch about personality and all that shit will, but they play the game with attitude.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I think our biggest needs are offensive line, defensive tackle and 1 wide receiver. A late round RB and TE would also be nice.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Largent80":3hxkismo said:
Offensive line. We STUNK this year up front. Okung and Sweezy are F.A.

Britt is as meh as they come. We lost games because of the current inept players.

At RB, I would love to have Perkins from UCLA.
Perkins would be ideal as a third down guy. Really hoping he finds his way to Seattle.