Neil deGrass Tyson Lateral was legit Galilean Transformation

mikeak

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2aypnova said:
Let me see if I understand this.

If Russell was running at let's say 10mph, the ball is also going 10mph. Russell can then throw the ball backwards, but if he doesn't throw the ball back at a rate greater than 10mph, the ball will continue to move forward due to it's previous momentum?

Though, it's still an illegal pass according to the rulebook.

Yes but continuing to move forward is not an issue.

If he throws it directly backwards it would now have a distance it needs to make up for as it travels forward. So it matters also how far the ball goes as it keeps going forward

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
sutz":1y714cqu said:
bmorepunk":1y714cqu said:
Break out your matrices, kids. We're gonna have to do some linear algebra here.
I don't think that would cover it. We're into calculus on this one. Linear algebra can't deduce these types of trajectories. Remember that only in old "Newtonian" physics is anything actually at rest. In the new relativity, everything is moving. :)

I'm pretty sure that Relativity applies more to speeds closer to the Speed of Light, and Newtonian physics covers objects moving at speeds much slower than that.

But it's a cool response, and way to bring science in to football Neil :2thumbs:

northseahawk

Reaction score
so when is the damn NFL going to comment on if that was a missed call or a proper play?!

bmorepunk

Reaction score
sutz":qb1qznim said:
bmorepunk":qb1qznim said:
Break out your matrices, kids. We're gonna have to do some linear algebra here.
I don't think that would cover it. We're into calculus on this one. Linear algebra can't deduce these types of trajectories. Remember that only in old "Newtonian" physics is anything actually at rest. In the new relativity, everything is moving. :)

For the purposes of the things that matter, I think the Galilean action holds here; if you over-physics it, you can get to the Poincare stuff, but it's a good approximation for the problem. I'm lazy and will avoid doing anything with differential math as much as possible. Also, pi is 3.

Latest posts