New investors want NHL and NBA in Seattle..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As cool as it sounds from this article, Hansen is years ahead of any new potential investors with purchasing land, environmental studies, working with the local governments etc.

All these other guys would be way behind, no matter what city they're dealing with.

Now if for some reason the Hansen arena impact study gets turned down, or scrapped entirely for some reason? Then it's open season for these other guys.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I think the NHL wants us badly, and we should want them just as much. There's obviously something there with all these potential investors who want to bring the NHL here.

NBA on the other hand, Hansen just wants in when there isn't a seat open, and I feel awful for him having to play the waiting game but as long as he's in, I'm in there backing him up. Just there is no team available, specially when they're trying to extort Milwaukee, you know damn well they need the Seattle threat.

Ultimately I think we'll get both, I just don't know
If I'll be old enough to care when we do.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Throwdown":1ektjnn5 said:
I think the NHL wants us badly, and we should want them just as much. There's obviously something there with all these potential investors who want to bring the NHL here.

NBA on the other hand, Hansen just wants in when there isn't a seat open, and I feel awful for him having to play the waiting game but as long as he's in, I'm in there backing him up. Just there is no team available, specially when they're trying to extort Milwaukee, you know damn well they need the Seattle threat.

Ultimately I think we'll get both, I just don't know
If I'll be old enough to care when we do.

Both the NBA and NHL want to be here, but not without a new arena somewhere. So unfortunately we're all being held hostage by this ridiculously long drawn out environmental impact study..............which of course will eventually be completed with 100 new hoops for Hansen to jump through. Then THAT will have to be reviewed.

So yeah, if we have either new teams within 10 years I'd be shocked.

As much as I love living in Washington, our govt is a joke when it comes to this stuff. Oh they'll approve money for new bike lanes no one uses or bazillion dollar underground tunnels that are 25 years behind schedule in a week. BUT OMG YOU WANT TO BUILD A NEW ARENA WITH YOUR OWN MONEY! THE HUMANITY!!!!

shawnsim

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1jmgomml said:
Throwdown":1jmgomml said:
yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

We'll see, Bellevue wants an arena, but they don't wanna help pay, can't blame 'em but you know.

Its just hard to get excited about anything when it comes to arena stuff anymore.
I'm with you here. But man, I want the NHL in Seattle so badly!

One thing the NHL has done very poorly though the years is promote TO the PNW thru existing teams. Vancouver is 2 hours to the North of here, and as long as they've been a team I've never seen them televised on a regular basis down here. They've missed out on a huge cluster of potential fans IMHO.

Shoot, when I was a kid, we got Portland rastlin' out of some old crusty smoke filled 3/4ths empty area, but rarely any Vancouver Canucks hockey.

Oh my gosh. Big Time Wrestling.

Every commercial break was for a grill called "Son of Hibach." Thanks for the memories.

As for an NHL team in Seattle?
"Shut up and take my money."

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Kind of like Seattle Sockeye sounds much tougher than what it is, but has a ring to it and could get some native American type logo.

netskier

Reaction score
Wind Breakers????? Isn't breaking wind already in the vernacular as a slang expression. Opponents will say that those Seattle fans are a real gas.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
"Wind-breaker" is a native American expression. It's somebody who runs so fast he breaks wind.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2wc4ypri said:
"Wind-breaker" is a native American expression. It's somebody who runs so fast he breaks wind.

If Native Americans run too fast they gets gassy? Odd.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ShyCheetah":229xd3y5 said:
(In my best Dr Evil voice) "Five hundred million dollars!" Looks to be the price to play some expansion NHL hockey.

http://www.tsn.ca/bettman-500-million-f ... m-1.265954

Shy

Damn, that's a lot of skrilla.

I'm sure Bettman and the other owners would rather go to Seattle if expansion is given the green light, but Vegas is going hard after a pro sports team, and they're already in the process of building.

I fear that if the EIN comes back with 50 things wrong with the site, or forcing Hansen to jump through even more hoops he AND the city/county councils may just throw up their collective arms and give up entirely.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
SEATTLE (AP) - Plans for a proposed multipurpose arena in Seattle's stadium district can move forward after a final environmental impact statement released Thursday found no major issues to block the project.

The FEIS on investor Chris Hansen's plans for an arena near Safeco Field and CenturyLink Field was released by the city after nearly two years of work.

"We're one step closer to bringing NHL hockey and NBA basketball to Seattle," Seattle Mayor Ed Murray said in a statement.

But there are obstacles ahead, namely a basketball franchise must be acquired before arena construction can begin. That is part of the memorandum of understanding among Hansen, the city of Seattle and King County that runs through late 2017. The NBA has said it does not see expansion in the future.

But the NHL has shown potential interest in Seattle as an expansion market, with the lack of a suitable facility being the roadblock in moving forward. Hansen has said previously he is not interested in being the owner of a hockey franchise, and the MOU would need to be rewritten and approved by both city and county councils to make the project work for a hockey-first scenario.

The project still needs approval of a street being vacated and has faced opposition from the Port of Seattle and the Mariners regarding the location.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Seat ... 41201.html

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2nlbu2at said:
SEATTLE (AP) - Plans for a proposed multipurpose arena in Seattle's stadium district can move forward after a final environmental impact statement released Thursday found no major issues to block the project.

The FEIS on investor Chris Hansen's plans for an arena near Safeco Field and CenturyLink Field was released by the city after nearly two years of work.

"We're one step closer to bringing NHL hockey and NBA basketball to Seattle," Seattle Mayor Ed Murray said in a statement.

But there are obstacles ahead, namely a basketball franchise must be acquired before arena construction can begin. That is part of the memorandum of understanding among Hansen, the city of Seattle and King County that runs through late 2017. The NBA has said it does not see expansion in the future.

But the NHL has shown potential interest in Seattle as an expansion market, with the lack of a suitable facility being the roadblock in moving forward. Hansen has said previously he is not interested in being the owner of a hockey franchise, and the MOU would need to be rewritten and approved by both city and county councils to make the project work for a hockey-first scenario.

The project still needs approval of a street being vacated and has faced opposition from the Port of Seattle and the Mariners regarding the location.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Seat ... 41201.html

I haven't been paying attention to any of the arena news the past couple years. So let me get this straight, Hansen won't build it until he gets confirmation that an NBA team is coming to Seattle? If that's the case, won't be anytime soon.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":s2ph6vnp said:
I haven't been paying attention to any of the arena news the past couple years. So let me get this straight, Hansen won't build it until he gets confirmation that an NBA team is coming to Seattle? If that's the case, won't be anytime soon.

This is true, but many people have said an addendum to the proposal could be drawn up to allow a hockey team to come first to get the ball rolling on the construction. No one thought that'd be an obstacle.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1z8esb2b said:
Hawk-Lock":1z8esb2b said:

This is true, but many people have said an addendum to the proposal could be drawn up to allow a hockey team to come first to get the ball rolling on the construction. No one thought that'd be an obstacle.

What is the most likely scenario to acquire an NBA team? Expansion or purchasing an existing team? What current teams would be a possibility? I remember hearing the Bucks arena lease is ending soon and they always have poor attendance. Any other teams?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":10y2otr9 said:
Sgt. Largent":10y2otr9 said:
Hawk-Lock":10y2otr9 said:

What is the most likely scenario to acquire an NBA team? Expansion or purchasing an existing team? What current teams would be a possibility? I remember hearing the Bucks arena lease is ending soon and they always have poor attendance. Any other teams?

Silver just said a couple weeks ago that expansion is not in the immediate plans, so that only leaves one option.............try and get someone else's team.

So it's possible for Hansen to target the NBA teams that aren't doing well financially (he has been all along), or are having arena problems. The only problem with that plan is the NBA is now trying it's hardest to keep teams in their cities, either by helping the current owner get a new arena deal........or finding a new owner that will keep the team in the city.

Here's what I think will happen, once we get an NHL team hopefully within a couple years and the arena begins construction, THAT'S when the NBA will start getting serious with helping Hansen get a team. Either moving a team from a city that refuses to build a new arena, or expansion if that's back on the table in 5-10 years.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Seattle Sockeye. It's alliterative like the Seahawks and Sonics, pays tribute to something the Pacific Northwest is known for, and seriously, a hockey team called Sockeye? how is that not perfect?

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1uy8dht9 said:
Hawk-Lock":1uy8dht9 said:
Sgt. Largent":1uy8dht9 said:
Hawk-Lock":1uy8dht9 said:

Silver just said a couple weeks ago that expansion is not in the immediate plans, so that only leaves one option.............try and get someone else's team.

So it's possible for Hansen to target the NBA teams that aren't doing well financially (he has been all along), or are having arena problems. The only problem with that plan is the NBA is now trying it's hardest to keep teams in their cities, either by helping the current owner get a new arena deal........or finding a new owner that will keep the team in the city.

Here's what I think will happen, once we get an NHL team hopefully within a couple years and the arena begins construction, THAT'S when the NBA will start getting serious with helping Hansen get a team. Either moving a team from a city that refuses to build a new arena, or expansion if that's back on the table in 5-10 years.

I think Hansen is "out" as far as the NBA is concerned. He really upset people both by pursuing the Kings and then paying for the grassroots anti-stadium thing.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":19wyjt8h said:
Sgt. Largent":19wyjt8h said:
Hawk-Lock":19wyjt8h said:
Sgt. Largent":19wyjt8h said:

I think Hansen is "out" as far as the NBA is concerned. He really upset people both by pursuing the Kings and then paying for the grassroots anti-stadium thing.
I don't think so. I think the Stern and Stern Jr were not happy that Hanson was the fly in their ointment at times, but I think even the moron that is Stern Jr sees an empty brand new arena sitting in the 14th largest market, he'd award Seattle a team via expansion or help a struggling team move here. The NBA wants Seattle to have a brand new standing arena before anything happens.

Personally I don't care about the NBA, I want the NHL bad, but if the arena gets built Seattle will get both.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":27exqvr3 said:

I think Stern and the NBA absolutely loved Hansen getting involved with Sacramento, because it helped the league and new ownership of the Kings strongarm a largely public financed arena for the Kings out of the taxpayers.

One thing you can count on my friend, sports leagues LOVE rich hungry potential owners, because they're the best bargaining chip when it comes to getting arenas built. "You better pass that arena proposal Sacramento, Milwaukee, Atlanta, New Orleans, Charlotte.........or else this evil guy Chris Hansen's gonna come in and take your team forever!"