New Offensive Coordinator Idea

DavidSeven

Reaction score
dogorama":3ivpql1s said:
Siouxhawk":3ivpql1s said:
So pretty much all of those guys are Hall of Famers. Hmmm, you've convinced me that I'll stick with Bevell as he's grooming Russ to join that elite list of Hall of Famers.

It's the student grooming the teacher not vice versa. Favre said as much when he was with him at Minnesota. A good example was last year's NFC title game against GB where RW told Bevell he was going to win the game on a cover-0 pass to Kearse. He even went up and down the bench and told the oline to watch for the cover-0 when they went back in the game. Sure enough the offense goes back in the game - RW sees the cover-0 , audibles out of Bevells stupid ass predictable play and VOILA' - TD to Kearse and we go to the Super Bowl for the second year.

I got no problem keeping Bevell as long as RW has the ability to audible out of every single dumb ass predictable play Bevell calls.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ing-finish

You understand that the cover-0 beater was designed before the game and that Bevell called heavy with one WR specifically to get Green Bay into that look, right? Russ was coached to audible if GB showed no safety.

It was prescient of Russ to guess they'd win the game on it, but this was something that was designed by the team well beforehand. It was not some spur-of-the-moment invention.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":f9qlt0t4 said:
Siouxhawk":f9qlt0t4 said:
dogorama":f9qlt0t4 said:
Grahamhawker":f9qlt0t4 said:
How many multiple Super Bowl victories for Favre?

1x1 still = 1

Okay get picky, Favre played 16 seasons in Green Bay. During his time in Green Bay, Favre was the first and only NFL player to win three consecutive AP MVP awards. He helped the Packers appear in two Super Bowls, winning Super Bowl XXXI. Favre also started every Green Bay Packers game from September 20, 1992 to January 20, 2008.

The obvious point I was trying to make was that his knowledge extended far beyond Bevell's. That much should
be obvious even to to the most unknowledgeable fan.
He's not being picky. He's just pointing out the inconsistencies of your stats, like your arguments. You don't like how Bevell runs our offense and you have an axe to grind. Fine. I take the opposing view and feel our offense has a sound track record and is about to flourish even more under him as Russ continues to become a more-rounded QB. By the way, could you please provide a link to when Russ audibled to beat the Packers. I'd like to read what he said there.
He was mic'd up. http://www.seahawks.com/video/2015/01/23/sound-fx-green-bay-packers-seattle-seahawks-overtime

the alert was built into the play.
Thanks Scotte. I can't believe I hadn't seen that SoundFX.

Ok, to the point, it's the kind of awareness that Russ had on that play where he saw a look in the defense that he knew he could exploit and then checked into an audible, that right there is what we are striving for and it's what Bevell is helping him with. Why do you think Bev is the one Russ was so happy to celebrate with? It was a nirvana or Aha moment and Russ had passed the test.
And last thing ... when you audible, you're still within the framework of the offensive set. It's just a variation of the play and some duties change. I'm guessing in this instance, Kearse ran a fly route instead of something like a crossing pattern after Russ checked into the audible. My point is that this is still part of the game plan that Bev and staff installed and practiced all week. It's not like Russ is out there drawing routes in the dirt.

mrt144

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1axiby44 said:
dogorama":1axiby44 said:
Siouxhawk":1axiby44 said:
So pretty much all of those guys are Hall of Famers. Hmmm, you've convinced me that I'll stick with Bevell as he's grooming Russ to join that elite list of Hall of Famers.

It's the student grooming the teacher not vice versa. Favre said as much when he was with him at Minnesota. A good example was last year's NFC title game against GB where RW told Bevell he was going to win the game on a cover-0 pass to Kearse. He even went up and down the bench and told the oline to watch for the cover-0 when they went back in the game. Sure enough the offense goes back in the game - RW sees the cover-0 , audibles out of Bevells stupid ass predictable play and VOILA' - TD to Kearse and we go to the Super Bowl for the second year.

I got no problem keeping Bevell as long as RW has the ability to audible out of every single dumb ass predictable play Bevell calls.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ing-finish

You understand that the cover-0 beater was designed before the game and that Bevell called heavy with one WR specifically to get Green Bay into that look, right? Russ was coached to audible if GB showed no safety.

It was prescient of Russ to guess they'd win the game on it, but this was something that was designed by the team well beforehand. It was not some spur-of-the-moment invention.

Exactly. Something that I credit Wilson with is being able to execute these kinds of things, top to bottom. But it's not like he just stumbled into the situation unawares and somehow dug deep to find the perfect audible.

As I said above, I've been a big Bevell hater but I think I've approached it from an all or nothing perspective. Where can DB improve his OC abilities and where is he already doing well?

I'd be especially interested in critiques by people who absolutely love him like Souixhawk and you DavidSeven.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
mrt144":1shsv6rj said:

Exactly. Something that I credit Wilson with is being able to execute these kinds of things, top to bottom. But it's not like he just stumbled into the situation unawares and somehow dug deep to find the perfect audible.

As I said above, I've been a big Bevell hater but I think I've approached it from an all or nothing perspective. Where can DB improve his OC abilities and where is he already doing well?

I'd be especially interested in critiques by people who absolutely love him like Souixhawk and you DavidSeven.[/quote]

Things I would like to see improved, but with caveats:

1. Predictability. i'd love to see more variation. But that takes a lot of time to prepare for in walk-throughs, etc. However, when you have a team that can execute well, regardless of what the D is expecting (think Holmgren's approach: "we're gonna run it down your throats, you know it, and you won't stop us"), then that makes offensive success even more demoralizing for the D.

2. Speed. I wish the offensive tempo was quicker, such as we saw in the last Cards game. It seemed we were quicker to the line, quicker to snap, and quicker to throw. I can't back this up with stats and maybe it's not the actual case, but it felt that way. But that also doesn't allow the O to chew up clock, which Pete thrives on. This isn't a Bevell thing first and foremost' it's a Pete thing. And I doubt anyone here is truly advocating firing PC. Bevell is just easier to vent on.

3. Cover weaknesses. If we have a hard time blocking for more than 2 seconds, then don't run plays that take 3 or more to develop. But it appears the Vikings played against this approach in the Wildcard game, and did so fairly effectively, especially given the conditions.

4. Matchups. Related to #3, every game is different based on the opponents and the individual matchups. I'd like to see more game-planning for those matchups to minimize great D players, and utilize our special abilities (Baldwin's separation, Locket's speed, Kearse's high-point, etc.)

Overall, though, I won't bash Bevell. The the great O stats didn't come "in spite of him"; those saying so are myopic, and just bitter. "I won't ever forgive him" and statements of this sort suggests bigger problems in one's personal life.

hawker84

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2a8xbs5i said:
mrt144":2a8xbs5i said:

I'd be especially interested in critiques by people who absolutely love him like Souixhawk and you DavidSeven.

Things I would like to see improved, but with caveats:

1. Predictability. i'd love to see more variation. But that takes a lot of time to prepare for in walk-throughs, etc. However, when you have a team that can execute well, regardless of what the D is expecting (think Holmgren's approach: "we're gonna run it down your throats, you know it, and you won't stop us"), then that makes offensive success even more demoralizing for the D.

2. Speed. I wish the offensive tempo was quicker, such as we saw in the last Cards game. It seemed we were quicker to the line, quicker to snap, and quicker to throw. I can't back this up with stats and maybe it's not the actual case, but it felt that way. But that also doesn't allow the O to chew up clock, which Pete thrives on. This isn't a Bevell thing first and foremost' it's a Pete thing. And I doubt anyone here is truly advocating firing PC. Bevell is just easier to vent on.

3. Cover weaknesses. If we have a hard time blocking for more than 2 seconds, then don't run plays that take 3 or more to develop. But it appears the Vikings played against this approach in the Wildcard game, and did so fairly effectively, especially given the conditions.

4. Matchups. Related to #3, every game is different based on the opponents and the individual matchups. I'd like to see more game-planning for those matchups to minimize great D players, and utilize our special abilities (Baldwin's separation, Locket's speed, Kearse's high-point, etc.)

Overall, though, I won't bash Bevell. The the great O stats didn't come "in spite of him"; those saying so are myopic, and just bitter. "I won't ever forgive him" and statements of this sort suggests bigger problems in one's personal life.[/quote]

Haha, bitter? Bitter of what? Because I think the coaching staffs philosophy is holding back our offense in the first half of games? That's the most asinine statement I've seen in some time on here.

My life is great bud, and it certainly doesn't revolve around the seahawks or this board. But hey if you want to say I'm bitter and have bigger problems in my life because I disagree with the coaching philosophy, or others on this board, then have at it. It's just my opinion bud, it's cool with me you and others have a different one.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Why do you think Ad Hawk was taking aim at you? I think he was just throwing it out there in general without specifying anyone in particular.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
dogorama":3e9pyse9 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":3e9pyse9 said:
Name any other coaching staff that consistently got top-7 offensive production from a 3rd round QB,.

Tom Brady 6th round
Joe Montana 3rd round
Kurt Warner UDFA
Fran Tarkenton 10th round
Roger Staubach 10th round
Johnny Unitas 9th round
Bart Starr 17th round!

There are plenty more too, you keep making it sound like they made these players out of nothing, it's simply not true

Sorry, tacking on "there are plenty more" doesn't make it true. As I pointed out in a previous post - only us and the patriots have been a top-7 offense over the past 4 years.

That being said, your list compares our coaching staff to the best ever (Belichick, Walsh, Landry, Lombardi) so I will accept that comparison.

dogorama

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":3g6qr9fs said:
dogorama":3g6qr9fs said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":3g6qr9fs said:
Name any other coaching staff that consistently got top-7 offensive production from a 3rd round QB,.

Tom Brady 6th round
Joe Montana 3rd round
Kurt Warner UDFA
Johnny Unitas 9th round
Bart Starr 17th round!

There are plenty more too, you keep making it sound like they made these players out of nothing, it's simply not true

Sorry, tacking on "there are plenty more" doesn't make it true. As I pointed out in a previous post - only us and the patriots have been a top-7 offense over the past 4 years.

That being said, your list compares our coaching staff to the best ever (Belichick, Walsh, Landry, Lombardi) so I will accept that comparison.

You asked, "name me one other top -7 offense that was run by 3rd round QB" I do that multiple timēs and yes, it has happened much more than that. Then you try and change the whole premise of the argument. If this was a court of law you would have been reprimanded or found in contempt for continuously misrepresenting the facts. Bevell has rode the coatails of once in a lifetime players and they would be the first to tell you if they could. Each week before RW took over the offense the announcers would openly express dismay at the calls.Fans are fickle and they will go with current state of affairs. At 2-4 90+% would have called for his head. I played football on defense thru pop warner, grade school, high scholl, and college and I know what he is going to do much it makes me want to be the field. Yes, it changed when we got desperate and let RW have his way but I am afraid it will go right back to it next year. Note:for all you thai think that Bevell designed the NFC winning play you are full of i. All it ever was that they "discussed " it. The reason he ran to Bevell after the play was because he said to him "I told you so, I told we would win on that play. In fact Darrell had called a run play on that play and that was what the defense was set for.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
dogorama":3dh00ou6 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":3dh00ou6 said:
dogorama":3dh00ou6 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":3dh00ou6 said:

Tom Brady 6th round
Joe Montana 3rd round
Kurt Warner UDFA
Johnny Unitas 9th round
Bart Starr 17th round!

You asked, "name me one other top -7 offense that was run by 3rd round QB" I do that multiple timēs and yes, it has happened much more than that. Then you try and change the whole premise of the argument. If this was a court of law you would have been reprimanded or found in contempt for continuously misrepresenting the facts. Bevell has rode the coatails of once in a lifetime players and they would be the first to tell you if they could. Each week before RW took over the offense the announcers would openly express dismay at the calls.Fans are fickle and they will go with current state of affairs. At 2-4 90+% would have called for his head. I played football on defense thru pop warner, grade school, high scholl, and college and I know what he is going to do much it makes me want to be the field. Yes, it changed when we got desperate and let RW have his way but I am afraid it will go right back to it next year. Note:for all you thai think that Bevell designed the NFC winning play you are full of i. All it ever was that they "discussed " it. The reason he ran to Bevell after the play was because he said to him "I told you so, I told we would win on that play. In fact Darrell had called a run play on that play and that was what the defense was set for.
Thanks for the good laugh. Keep trying as one of these days you might actually hit upon something with a factual basis. But please, for entertainment sakes, keep on posting.

dogorama

Reaction score
Here's an article from 2013 that does as much to explain the first half of this season as it did then. And quit saying I haven't said anything factual, every time you have claimed something based on your personal bias I have disproven it with facts. Here's the deal, every year the rest of the league has figured out more of his tendencies until we reached a point where we became a non contender. That changed mid season when we were forced to switch to a QB based offense. If we continue on that trend we might be alright but if we go back to Bevell's style without a dominating defense look for more of the same we got earlier this year. Take a look at how many times the NFL has changed in the last 20 years: Weat Coast , spread, multi-back, no-back, empahsis on offense, since the Seahawks SB win there's more of an emphasis on defense - look at the Broncos, a completely different style team in only two years. Styles of play change and being incapable of change just makes you more and more predictable. Of course you have to have a brain so I don't expect everyone to get it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... nse-league

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
dogorama":2sabba4d said:
Here's an article from 2013 that does as much to explain the first half of this season as it did then. And quit saying I haven't said anything factual, every time you have claimed something based on your personal bias I have disproven it with facts. Here's the deal, every year the rest of the league has figured out more of his tendencies until we reached a point where we became a non contender. That changed mid season when we were forced to switch to a QB based offense. If we continue on that trend we might be alright but if we go back to Bevell's style without a dominating defense look for more of the same we got earlier this year. Take a look at how many times the NFL has changed in the last 20 years: Weat Coast , spread, multi-back, no-back, empahsis on offense, since the Seahawks SB win there's more of an emphasis on defense - look at the Broncos, a completely different style team in only two years. Styles of play change and being incapable of change just makes you more and more predictable. Of course you have to have a brain so I don't expect everyone to get it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... nse-league
The article from last year, while interesting, is about the trending to a spread offense. Bevell employs that. Our offense is not stagnant, it is evolving. Russ is being given more autonomy. I don't know what more you want? I like the direction we are headed. I'm guessing Pete also endorses this.

hawker84

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":5gmg9gdq said:
Why do you think Ad Hawk was taking aim at you? I think he was just throwing it out there in general without specifying anyone in particular.

He quoted what I said I'm my original post, what am I suppose to think?

And in response to you, I agree our offense is evolving, now, but for the last 4 years it has been stagnant for the most part, specifically in the first part of games.