New Offensive Coordinator Idea

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Zero percent chance of firing Bevell. Zero.

If you're already planning to increase the complexity of the game for your quarterback, the last thing you want to do is introduce yet another variable into the mix in the form of a new OC.

canfan

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":20iybrik said:
Zero percent chance of firing Bevell. Zero.

If you're already planning to increase the complexity of the game for your quarterback, the last thing you want to do is introduce yet another variable into the mix in the form of a new OC.

Excellent point! I'm not blind to Bevell's shortcomings, but his is the only system Wilson has had as a pro and he seems to be improving each year in it. Execution, rather than design seems to be an issue much of the time - fix the O Line and there will be more consistency in the offense. Plays are often called to set up other plays later in the game. If half of your 15 scripted plays are screwed up by poor execution you are now in a hole it takes a couple of series to recover from.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I want to see dogorama defend his article.

Come on dogorama.

Stand up for the foundation of your argument.

Tell us why Pep Hamilton, Tom Clements and Kyle Shanahan are in the top ten coordinators in the NFL according to the 'pro's'.

And while you're at it -- let's see you finally answer why you trust 'the pro's' in your article more than Pete Carroll.

:snack:

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
King Dog":x25pltsq said:
You guy's are hilarious. Bevell is a legit offensive coordinator. Most fans / teams would be happy to have him. Sorry
Yep...... top 5 offense in the league. Not gonna replace him unless he leaves.

randomation

Reaction score
Can we just let Russ do his thing and Bevell can pretend to call plays or just play with toys on the sideline I like that idea.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
dogorama":35xmpg52 said:
We have had a good offense because we had RB that ran over people and didn't need a great Oline AND a future hall of fame QB who has the ability to extend plays that have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PLAY CALLED. As for leaving up to the board to decide if Bevell is a good OC, no offense but most of these guys never even played high school football. Of course you would prefer that to professional opinions. Tell you what, next time you are having severe medical symptoms go down to the local watering hole and ask the locals what they think might be wrong with you. Good luck!
Dude, this sounds like you like to make stuff up to fit your argument, but in actuality Coaching in the NFL has nothing to do with medicine :lol:
My argument is about Seahawks football, and Pete Carroll's choice of OC while yours is that Bevell is a shitty OC.
Pete Carroll's opinion on the matter trumps the living shit out of your opinion, and all those so called experts that you hold in such high regards.
Pete Carroll is doing things HIS WAY, and the Seahawks have some Championships & a Lombardi to show for it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
117Jesus":uwue3iny said:
dogorama":uwue3iny said:
It's a hopeless argument because outside of smart-ass remarks you have no argument. It's a football message board where opinions are exchanged, not a place where you pretend to be the exclusive bastion of knowledge.
Im sorry, but anyone who thinks Bevell is a better play caller than Kiffin is a fool and pays no attention to detail.
Sorry, but if Kiffin is so damned hot an item, he's yet to prove it with any team in the NFL.
This is one of those credibility issues...'Ya Got No Proof, Just A Gut Feeling' to go on.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
dogorama":3lk4uh7q said:
Here's the deal, at midpoint of the season 90% of you would have called for Bevell's head. RW's second half success changed that and that wasn't because of Bevell it was because RW was allowed to have a freeer hand.
WITH DARRELL BEVELL'S COACHING ACUMEN.
It was Bevell who suggested to Wilson, that he needed to TRUST the pocket, and not be in a hurry to take off running so quick.......The results...Wilson did exactly what Bevell asked of him, and he tore it up in the Second half of the Season, eh?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
dogorama":25c0asof said:
nobody is going to argue that the Oline is anything but horrible but to blame some of those comebacks on the defense is just ignorant. Go back back and watch the games...the offense went three-and-out over and over. They simply wore out.
And the Defense was a mere shadow of the 2013 / 2014 Seahawks Defenses.
Ignorant... :lol: indeed :roll: LOLOLOLOL

mrt144

Reaction score
Bevell is human, probably really good at some OC things and probably not good at others. I've been a big hater but this thread did get me thinking that he needs to just work on the things he sucks at like anyone else.

depecheSeahawk

Reaction score
Bevell isn't that bad. Until Graham (sans Harvin) came along, all the money has been spent on the defense. (Also not counting RW's contract as he already had him) He needs a better OL to give his offense time. Don't get me wrong, I don't know how many times I've been able to call the play from my seats since he's so predictable and was pissed. Low I said though, he's done OK for what he's been given.

Davidess

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":k5y69tsi said:
Davidess":k5y69tsi said:
Bevel is an excellent play caller, he is not the one out there making throws, he calls the plays and RW is given the option to audible, because weve seen it so its not like Bevel sits there and goes "alright Russ, you're running just this play" RW brings a set of plays into the huddle and is able change it at the line.

Yeah, play action on 3rd and 10+ is an excellent play call.

I honestly believe it couldn't be worse than running a draw play.

When the oline was protecting it was easier for plays to be executed. You cannot pull out certain plays you didn't like that hes ran and assume hes a bad coordinator. I pulled some stats that are most important to an Offense and heres the rank by year

pts/gm
2012-9th
2013-8th
2014-9th
2015-4th

yds/gm
2012-17th
2013-18th
2014-3rd
2015-4th

T.O.P
2012-4th
2013-14th
2014-3rd
2015-2nd

3rd %
2012-12th
2013-17th
2014-11th
2015-4th

Now like I said I pulled out what stats I thought were important to an Offense because I didn't want to fill this thread with a load of stats. but honestly these #s aren't bad. say what you want about Bevel and about "certain" play calls but stats don't lie. the offense has steadily improved. I wouldn't want to run the chance of suffering a setback.

firebee

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Bevell if he could improve on the design of his passing plays. His passing plays are so vanilla it drives me crazy. I can't count the number of times I've seen two guys on the go on the outside with the slot or TE running the post and the backs on a swing route to the flats, essentially "Deep Attack" on Madden.. or the slants on Madden... SMDH. He has to get more creative with his passing plays in regards to the design of the routes and how the route combinations interact with each other to exploit coverages. The basic Madden passing plays I see just kill me. Seriously... We can do better than that Bevell.

Paschtorian

Reaction score
My "beef" is that our team can't EVER figure out how to make adjustments until after half-time. That's CRAP!!!!

If the Seahawks could make their adjustments in the 2nd quarter, they'd be slaying the competition.

That's on the Head Coach and his staff.

dogorama

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":267nj3hc said:
I want to see dogorama defend his article.

Come on dogorama.

Stand up for the foundation of your argument.

Tell us why Pep Hamilton, Tom Clements and Kyle Shanahan are in the top ten coordinators in the NFL according to the 'pro's'.

And while you're at it -- let's see you finally answer why you trust 'the pro's' in your article more than Pete Carroll.

:snack:

you were the one who said that bad plays aren't necessarily the fault of the OC but also the players. could it be the same foe OC's that lose their jobs. or do your arguments only work when they are convenient? there are organizations that defy logic with their hires and fires. the silver spoon brat that inherited the 49ers comes to mind. besides i am not trying to make a case for any of those guys, i am just trying to relate the general feeling around the league for Bevell and it is not good.

Largent80

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":mbivzu60 said:
Davidess":mbivzu60 said:
Bevel is an excellent play caller, he is not the one out there making throws, he calls the plays and RW is given the option to audible, because weve seen it so its not like Bevel sits there and goes "alright Russ, you're running just this play" RW brings a set of plays into the huddle and is able change it at the line.

Yeah, play action on 3rd and 10+ is an excellent play call.

So was Holmgren's Draw.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I used to be of the opinion that Darrell either needed to change or go. He changed, so why go?

Honestly, I think he is going to become a mostly irrelevant piece of the conversation, when it comes to who called what play. We are well on the way to turning this offense over to the QB.

However, there are two evolutions that I think has to be made, and soon, and not even for playcalling reasons, but for rules reasons.

One, and a lot of you already know this about my opinion, is the adjustment to a spread offense with elements of power ball.
The other, as I have also made abundantly clear, but think will be the harder transition, is to get away from changing personnel so damn much. However, and as much as I hate saying I was wrong, it isn't because it is Darrell Bevell's way getting cute. I think there is an element of that, but I think the reason we need to stop treating 2nd and 6 as different than 3rd and 3 is far more rules oriented. Let me explain.
The NFL rule, and I quote
DEFENSIVE MATCHUPS FOLLOWING SUBSTITUTIONS
Article 10If a substitution is made by the offense, the offense shall not be permitted to snap the ball until the
defense has been permitted to respond with its substitutions. While in the process of a substitution (or
simulated substitution), the offense is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage and
snapping the ball in an obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul (i.e., too many men on the field). If, in the
judgment of the officials, this occurs, the following procedure will apply:
(a) The Umpire will stand over the ball until the Referee deems that the defense has had a reasonable
time to complete its substitutions.
That Russ does better when he las time to survey the defense and get them to declare intent is no mystery. When we sub personnel, the defense is allowed time to sub as well. Often, the ref is standing over the ball, preventing a snap, until the D has matched personnel. THere were numerous times I saw the ref turn the ball over to the center with less than ten seconds on the clock. Ten seconds(or sometimes a lot less) to do motions, audible, hard count...and sometimes this was on the road where the center hearing the snap was an issue.

I think this will be the biggest adjustment for Bevell, who has stated that he thinks subbing personnel is a very important strategic thing. I don't, and in fact for our offense it has been a big tell. Early in the year, in fact, our personnel packages were a big tell. If Mathews and Lockette were on the field, it was usually a run play, is one example.
I could get into my opinions about why all the subbing is silly, but they are just opinions. But I think that rule, which is fairly new, is a damn good reason to get away from subbing personnel so much. The longer Russ has presnap, with the D not allowed time to match personnel, the better he seems to do.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Scottemojo":o79cu3mr said:
I used to be of the opinion that Darrell either needed to change or go. He changed, so why go?

Honestly, I think he is going to become a mostly irrelevant piece of the conversation, when it comes to who called what play. We are well on the way to turning this offense over to the QB.

However, there are two evolutions that I think has to be made, and soon, and not even for playcalling reasons, but for rules reasons.

One, and a lot of you already know this about my opinion, is the adjustment to a spread offense with elements of power ball.
The other, as I have also made abundantly clear, but think will be the harder transition, is to get away from changing personnel so damn much. However, and as much as I hate saying I was wrong, it isn't because it is Darrell Bevell's way getting cute. I think there is an element of that, but I think the reason we need to stop treating 2nd and 6 as different than 3rd and 3 is far more rules oriented. Let me explain.
Article 10If a substitution is made by the offense, the offense shall not be permitted to snap the ball until the
defense has been permitted to respond with its substitutions. While in the process of a substitution (or
simulated substitution), the offense is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage and
snapping the ball in an obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul (i.e., too many men on the field). If, in the
(a) The Umpire will stand over the ball until the Referee deems that the defense has had a reasonable
That Russ does better when he las time to survey the defense and get them to declare intent is no mystery. When we sub personnel, the defense is allowed time to sub as well. Often, the ref is standing over the ball, preventing a snap, until the D has matched personnel. THere were numerous times I saw the ref turn the ball over to the center with less than ten seconds on the clock. Ten seconds(or sometimes a lot less) to do motions, audible, hard count...and sometimes this was on the road where the center hearing the snap was an issue.

I think this will be the biggest adjustment for Bevell, who has stated that he thinks subbing personnel is a very important strategic thing. I don't, and in fact for our offense it has been a big tell. Early in the year, in fact, our personnel packages were a big tell. If Mathews and Lockette were on the field, it was usually a run play, is one example.
I could get into my opinions about why all the subbing is silly, but they are just opinions. But I think that rule, which is fairly new, is a damn good reason to get away from subbing personnel so much. The longer Russ has presnap, with the D not allowed time to match personnel, the better he seems to do.

Oh, POW! Yeah, just saying he was getting too cute with plays is over-simplistic, but if he is, in fact, putting the O behind schedule and disrupting their rhythm, he needs to knock that off. I hope doesn't let his own stubbornness with the concept of substitutions cloud his judgement.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1go5xxca said:
Scottemojo":1go5xxca said:

Oh, POW! Yeah, just saying he was getting too cute with plays is over-simplistic, but if he is, in fact, putting the O behind schedule and disrupting their rhythm, he needs to knock that off. I hope doesn't let his own stubbornness with the concept of substitutions cloud his judgement.
It isn't just Bevell. Watching other teams, I see the same things. Teams that like to sub a lot get screwed by the clock a lot, and the ref standing over the ball while the D takes it's time is becoming a strategy defenses use.

Not subbing players ends that in a hurry.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Paschtorian":1ji405p7 said:
My "beef" is that our team can't EVER figure out how to make adjustments until after half-time. That's CRAP!!!!

If the Seahawks could make their adjustments in the 2nd quarter, they'd be slaying the competition.

That's on the Head Coach and his staff.

CARROLL YOU USELESS BUM

FIGURE IT OUT

PRONTO