New roughing the passer rule worse than helmet rule?

nategreat

Reaction score
A very simple solution would be to make penalties reviewable. True, it might slow down the game some, but some of these calls are complete crap and can have a HUGE impact on the game, such as that Clay Matthews "penalty" last week that extended the game when it was essentially over.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I agree the quarterback did not get picked up. But what the ref saw was his feet leaving the playing surface and automatically assumed that he was picked up and thrown. What he failed to see was the throwing motion put his momentum on his forward/left foot and that raised his foot up when he was arm tackled to the ground. There was less than half a second to determine whether he/packer could change his movement and avoid the penalty/false call. Yup. Football/american style, is becoming more a lack of entertainment value for what us peons are paying for. I dont know the answer.....

Ramfan128

Reaction score
nategreat":24xre6gd said:
A very simple solution would be to make penalties reviewable. True, it might slow down the game some, but some of these calls are complete crap and can have a HUGE impact on the game, such as that Clay Matthews "penalty" last week that extended the game when it was essentially over.

This. If they really want to clean up this part of the game, then I would rather they turn it into the targeting rule in college - call it and then review it - although instead of ejections just make it a hefty fine.

Mindsink

Reaction score
Ramfan128":etkrem5m said:
nategreat":etkrem5m said:

This. If they really want to clean up this part of the game, then I would rather they turn it into the targeting rule in college - call it and then review it - although instead of ejections just make it a hefty fine.

I like my idea better. You get the benefits of the above + not slowing down the game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It’s a stupid rule, as are a lot of the NFL’s “new rules”.

They will change or eliminate this rule as more of the legacy teams get screwed by it.
GB has gotten bit by it twice already. If it starts costing the Cheatriots, Stealers, Cowgirls games they may look into modifying it this year.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Matthews flagged again for sacking the QB.

bodyweight.jpg

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
PackerNation":1texlsfi said:
You guys have benefited from that for YEARS from having Erin Rodgers BEFORE it was an official rule change; so pardon me if I don't feel bad for you.

Maulbert

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1dmjytig said:
PackerNation":1dmjytig said:
You guys have benefited from that for YEARS from having Erin Rodgers BEFORE it was an official rule change; so pardon me if I don't feel bad for you.

Remember that bull$#!+ facemask call against the Lions a couple years ago? Rodgers threw a game-winning Hail Mary on an untimed down. The Packers can rot in hell with their pity party for all I care.

PackerNation

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3lmnr2pv said:
PackerNation":3lmnr2pv said:

Feel sorry for the NFL and how it is being ruined with these horrible rules/calls.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
How come Clay Matthews cant figure it out. Nearly cost his team in game 1. cost them game 2. and another today?

Maybe the rules are just ruining Clay Matthews career.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2lmk9ul6 said:
How come Clay Matthews cant figure it out. Nearly cost his team in game 1. cost them game 2. and another today?

Or maybe they aren't really penalties.... ?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
PackerNation":wqfod2zr said:
Uncle Si":wqfod2zr said:

they clearly are.

Someone just needs to teach it to Clay

Maulbert

Reaction score
Uncle Si":36v93hts said:
PackerNation":36v93hts said:
Uncle Si":36v93hts said:

they clearly are.

Today, he could easily have swung his weight to pull Alex Smith down. Instead, he drove him, knowing full well what the ref would do. Bad rules don't mean you can't play within them. It's on Clay Matthews to adapt. Remember, Roy Williams went from All-Pro to liability when they banned the horse collar.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Uncle Si":r9gajb9b said:
PackerNation":r9gajb9b said:
Uncle Si":r9gajb9b said:

they clearly are.

I don't think so, but we can just disagree.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
you think its a coincidence the same player has been called for it 3 games in a row?

It's not a question of whether you think the rule is a good one, but whether the new rule is being enforced correctly.

Tacklers cannot throw their weight on a QB. Clay did that at the end of the Bears game. Thought the Vikings one was close (i hate the vikings so wanted was upset about that one). Didn't see this last one.

I have no issue with the rule. Tacklers will adjust over time. It's better to have healthy QBs in the league to be honest.

JimmyG

Reaction score
Mindsink":2d4i5o1o said:
AgentDib":2d4i5o1o said:
You wouldn't want depth players sent in to target starters "Karate Kid" style with no immediate repercussions.

If they wanted to do that, I don't think a 15 yard penalty would deter them. Right?
Uhm.... what? Actually, yes, a 15-yard penalty that leads to an automatic first down and has an impact on the game is a huge deterrent.

Imagine it's the Super Bowl and your "personal fouls aren't called until after the game" change is implemented. There would be massive cheap shots after every pass attempt if there weren't any consequences until after the game.

chris98251

Reaction score
I have a lot of problems with them making form tackling a roughing the passer rule when it's only on the QB, if form tackling is so bad then every tackle should be a unsportsmanlike penalty then.

NFL has went way to far to the extreme. Body slamming ok, momentum from form tackling bullshit.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Both rules are equally subjective.
Both rules are not enforced/enforced equally.

Both rules are equally stupid in my “old school” opinion.

Two fans, as well as two refs can watch the same exact play, and have totally opposite views.

I don’t necessarily hate the rules, I hate how they are so subjective, and won’t be called, or not called equally.

Worse even than PI, or catch/no catch.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
PackerNation":1gloii3x said:
Feel sorry for the NFL and how it is being ruined with these horrible rules/calls.
You don't get it. Most of the rest of the NFL's fans are laughing at you guys, because now Erin Rodgers doesn't have as big of an officiating advantage as he used to.