New roughing the passer rule worse than helmet rule?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
PackerNation":df4iqtco said:
RolandDeschain":df4iqtco said:
PackerNation":df4iqtco said:
Matthews flagged again for sacking the QB.
You guys have benefited from that for YEARS from having Erin Rodgers BEFORE it was an official rule change; so pardon me if I don't feel bad for you.

Feel sorry for the NFL and how it is being ruined with these horrible rules/calls.

It's partly smug prima donna Erin's fault that the stupid rule is in place in the first place.

At least now you know how the "rest of the NFL" feels whenever they play the Packers and Erin gets flags thrown at his feet whenever a defender has the audacity to look his direction.

Karma.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Maulbert":17fnjdz4 said:
Uncle Si":17fnjdz4 said:
PackerNation":17fnjdz4 said:
Uncle Si":17fnjdz4 said:
How come Clay Matthews cant figure it out. Nearly cost his team in game 1. cost them game 2. and another today?

Maybe the rules are just ruining Clay Matthews career.

Or maybe they aren't really penalties.... ?

they clearly are.

Someone just needs to teach it to Clay

Today, he could easily have swung his weight to pull Alex Smith down. Instead, he drove him, knowing full well what the ref would do. Bad rules don't mean you can't play within them. It's on Clay Matthews to adapt. Remember, Roy Williams went from All-Pro to liability when they banned the horse collar.

That's what I saw on the replay.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
The rule sucks. It can get anyone at any time. Being happy that it's got Clay Matthews twice seems like we're missing the bigger picture. What if it costs us a game?

PackerNation

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2bdrzunz said:
PackerNation":2bdrzunz said:
Feel sorry for the NFL and how it is being ruined with these horrible rules/calls.
You don't get it. Most of the rest of the NFL's fans are laughing at you guys, because now Erin Rodgers doesn't have as big of an officiating advantage as he used to.

No, you don't get it. Your childish insults and hammering of the Packers because you don't like them is blinding you to the fact that this can be a very big problem in the NFL when it comes to these types of calls. It may have cost Green Bay a critical divisional game against the Vikings but it could very well be another team next week. Or a critical call in the playoffs that sends a team home for such a foolishly called penalty.

It's wrecking football. There is little to no chance that Clay Matthews can ease up after he blows through the lineman to make a hit on the QB and not keep from landing on him. It's a lousy rule and while QB's should be afforded some protection, they cannot be expected to ever take some hits.

If you knew anything about football, you would also know that they are throwing flags on players exactly how they are taught to tackle and wrap up ball carriers.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
PackerNation":6hgro8bj said:
RolandDeschain":6hgro8bj said:
PackerNation":6hgro8bj said:
You don't get it. Most of the rest of the NFL's fans are laughing at you guys, because now Erin Rodgers doesn't have as big of an officiating advantage as he used to.

No, you don't get it. Your childish insults and hammering of the Packers because you don't like them is blinding you to the fact that this can be a very big problem in the NFL when it comes to these types of calls. It may have cost Green Bay a critical divisional game against the Vikings but it could very well be another team next week. Or a critical call in the playoffs that sends a team home for such a foolishly called penalty.

It's wrecking football. There is little to no chance that Clay Matthews can ease up after he blows through the lineman to make a hit on the QB and not keep from landing on him. It's a lousy rule and while QB's should be afforded some protection, they cannot be expected to ever take some hits.

If you knew anything about football, you would also know that they are throwing flags on players exactly how they are taught to tackle and wrap up ball carriers.

As the rules change, players have to adapt or they become irrelevant whiners. Based on the rule, this was a good officiating call. However, I do agree that the rule provides too much leeway for the zebras to control the game. Maybe Clay should learn some rugby tackling techniques. He can hit just as hard, roll his way through the tackle and not get penalized.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
PackerNation":16xtjsu1 said:
RolandDeschain":16xtjsu1 said:
PackerNation":16xtjsu1 said:

Referee Craig Wrolstad on Matthews penalty in pool report: "So, that's not a new rule. I had judged that the defender landed on the quarterback when he was tackling him, with most or all of his body weight, and that's not allowed. If you do that, it's roughing the passer."

Clay Matthews doesn't know how to tackle. If he knew anything about tackling he wouldn't have got the flag. You clearly don't understand the rule as well.

Also, why would a change in tackling to protect the NFL's best asset be "ruining" the game. As it is, the age range of those that watch the game is getting younger. They are not old men with antiquated beliefs about sport. Younger fans want their stars on the field, not crippled, concussed or worse.

So... the fantasy football crowd will care less in the long run about tackling rules if their favorite players aren't being carted off the field.

It's unnerving people can't see that. The inherent dangers of playing football are difficult enough. Making changes to the game to try and mitigate these issues is the only way this game survives.

It's understandable you can't grasp that. Packers fans still want it to be the 1960s

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
PackerNation,

My .NET brethren have said all that needs to be said in response to your reply to me, so I'll let that stand. :)

You're blind to the irony of this and you don't even realize it after it has been pointed out to you. A common trait I noticed in many of the natives from my time in Wisconsin, I fear.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CameronWolfe/status/1044247864682172417[/tweet]

So he tries to alter his tackling technique as not to injure the qb, and ends up with a season ending injury himself? Damn.

Boycie

Reaction score
I still don't know how you are supposed to not land on the QB when you tackle him like RW was tackled yesterday. I hate the Cowboys, but man that call was an absolute joke. That should have been a sack, and we should have been punting.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
You can land on the QB. You cant turn your entire body into the QB and land on him with all your weight.

I saw 7 sacks and a dozen QB hits in the Vikings-Bills game yesterday. I saw one penalty (and it was for helmet to helmet). So apparently people are doing it just fine.

chris98251

Reaction score
The QB is a stationary target with guys coming at him from the front a lot, those from the side don't seem to have as big of a problem, when you come up the front your going to tackle thru the guy instead of like from the side be able to roll one direction or another, the momentum of follow thru of wrapping and driving like how your are taught propels you thru the QB and on top, difficult to twist at the same time.

Now if you were grabbing him and hip tossing and or pile driving him that would be different, but I would think yes maybe bruised ribs but not a broken collarbone from how Mathews tackled guys, when you have a QB rolling out and a guy form tackling from the side or hooking and slamming to the ground is that gonna be a penalty also, that's where I see a broken collar bone, when the QB is driven to the ground after or while in the motion of completing a pass.

Outside the pocket he is both a runner and a passer.

This is where I have a problem with the rules.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1nxj7o20 said:
You can land on the QB. You cant turn your entire body into the QB and land on him with all your weight.

I saw 7 sacks and a dozen QB hits in the Vikings-Bills game yesterday. I saw one penalty (and it was for helmet to helmet). So apparently people are doing it just fine.

At one point in our game after the penalty on the Cowboys they showed a graphic of thru the period last year in first 3 games there were 9 penalties, as of that time yesterday there were 21, so being called a little more then twice as much.

And it is subjective as well.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1dxh8czx said:
PackerNation":1dxh8czx said:
RolandDeschain":1dxh8czx said:
PackerNation":1dxh8czx said:

Referee Craig Wrolstad on Matthews penalty in pool report: "So, that's not a new rule. I had judged that the defender landed on the quarterback when he was tackling him, with most or all of his body weight, and that's not allowed. If you do that, it's roughing the passer."

Clay Matthews doesn't know how to tackle. If he knew anything about tackling he wouldn't have got the flag. You clearly don't understand the rule as well.

Also, why would a change in tackling to protect the NFL's best asset be "ruining" the game. As it is, the age range of those that watch the game is getting younger. They are not old men with antiquated beliefs about sport. Younger fans want their stars on the field, not crippled, concussed or worse.

So... the fantasy football crowd will care less in the long run about tackling rules if their favorite players aren't being carted off the field.

It's unnerving people can't see that. The inherent dangers of playing football are difficult enough. Making changes to the game to try and mitigate these issues is the only way this game survives.

It's understandable you can't grasp that. Packers fans still want it to be the 1960s

I read it and disagree with it as do many many others. It's subjective and never should have been called. Rules like this will ruin the NFL. I get trying to protect the QB but the hit Clay laid on the QB in both the Minnesota game and against the Redskins was legal. It should not have been flagged.

I expected the NFL to stand behind the refs calls, they have no choice. But these "subjective" calls have to be eliminated. It turns games on their heels. The NFL has told these guys to not land on the QB, must roll off. That's precisely what Clay Matthews did. When a player does exactly as instructed and gets a flag anyway, something is terribly wrong.

BTW, this isn't the smack shack, so you want to tell the crayon eating little Seahawk minions to keep the insults in the shack? You want good discussion, how can you expect to have such things with some of the comments here?

chris98251

Reaction score
PackerNation":2fiwx1k2 said:
Uncle Si":2fiwx1k2 said:
PackerNation":2fiwx1k2 said:
RolandDeschain":2fiwx1k2 said:

I read it and disagree with it as do many many others. It's subjective and never should have been called. Rules like this will ruin the NFL. I get trying to protect the QB but the hit Clay laid on the QB in both the Minnesota game and against the Redskins was legal. It should not have been flagged.

I expected the NFL to stand behind the refs calls, they have no choice. But these "subjective" calls have to be eliminated. It turns games on their heels. The NFL has told these guys to not land on the QB, must roll off. That's precisely what Clay Matthews did. When a player does exactly as instructed and gets a flag anyway, something is terribly wrong.

BTW, this isn't the smack shack, so you want to tell the crayon eating little Seahawk minions to keep the insults in the shack? You want good discussion, how can you expect to have such things with some of the comments here?

They try, but some are afraid of the Shack, others feel it's our house and we can piss on our floor but you can't.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
PackerNation":a8pxutyy said:
Uncle Si":a8pxutyy said:
PackerNation":a8pxutyy said:
RolandDeschain":a8pxutyy said:

There was no insult. Just a clearly defined statement. You do not understand the rules. You do not understand the NFL sack rules or the rules here on .Net. If you wish to lodge a concern then report a post. Do not discuss moderation.

Much like Clay, a failure to adjust will cost you a spot on the team.

You can disagree. Some do. That guy did not. He's a professional. I saw it and agreed with the call as well. Clay landed directly on top of him, all of his body weight, and then tried to roll off. That's not the rule.

It is subjective. It is confusing. And it's certainly going to take players time to adjust. But it will not ruin the game. In the last 10 years the league has been dominated by off field violence, horrible on field injuries, movies and widespread coverage of the damage the sport does to its players, suicides and crippled vets stating they wish they never played the game and need constant medical attention. I think the precious game you remember needs to change or it will fade away.

The crayon-eating minions is not a fresh take for you. I would hope for better than simple repetition.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":2wz09867 said:
Uncle Si":2wz09867 said:

At one point in our game after the penalty on the Cowboys they showed a graphic of thru the period last year in first 3 games there were 9 penalties, as of that time yesterday there were 21, so being called a little more then twice as much.

And it is subjective as well.

it's a new rule so implementation was always going to be bumpy.

I'd like to see the college version brought in where teams can challenge or the video officials automatically review these calls. At least to start.

Boycie

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3dutb69r said:

So explain how the hit on RW was avoidable. This is a textbook example of how stupid this rule is. The guy comes right up the gut and hits RW just as he releases the ball. That to me is a bang bang play and you cannot do anything to not land on him when your momentum has you already committed to the hit.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":egqidcom said:
Uncle Si":egqidcom said:

So explain how the hit on RW was avoidable. This is a textbook example of how stupid this rule is. The guy comes right up the gut and hits RW just as he releases the ball. That to me is a bang bang play and you cannot do anything to not land on him when your momentum has you already committed to the hit.

You're asking me to define and then determine the rule?

I'm just a below-average arm chair quarterback. I'm telling you what I saw in the game that I watched.

But, if you watch the replay, he lands on Wilson with all his body weight. They clearly do not want to see that anymore. How Crawford avoids that there is something only a professional NFL player will figure out, I imagine.

Boycie

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1e9m5dn6 said:
Ace_Rimmer":1e9m5dn6 said:
Uncle Si":1e9m5dn6 said:

You're asking me to define and then determine the rule?

I'm just a below-average arm chair quarterback. I'm telling you what I saw in the game that I watched.

But, if you watch the replay, he lands on Wilson with all his body weight. They clearly do not want to see that anymore. How Crawford avoids that there is something only a professional NFL player will figure out, I imagine.

True, and that's the question. How does one do that at the pace the game is played at? Someone got hurt yesterday apparently letting up and trying not to land on the QB. I'm all for protecting the player, but this is getting ridiculous. Body slamming a guy like in the old days needs to go for sure, and so does any blatant intent to injure, but on a play like yesterday, they need to let that stuff go because it is part of the game and unavoidable.