Next years PAC 12 north is going to be fun

CPHawk

Reaction score
A few thing Kerly, according the 247 ASU hasn't been out recruiting UO. As for Prukop, you might be right, but Texas, Alabama, Michigan, TCU and UO coaches all saw enough on film that they wanted him. But I also won't be surprised if Jonson or Wilson beat him out for the job.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
drrew":36lxc69j said:
Seahawks1983":36lxc69j said:
Huh?

Down the stretch UW lost at home to Utah, and absolutely gagged on themselves against a terrible ASU team. Then your vaunted defense gave up 31 points to Southern Miss.

Might want to take a step back from the 10 win train for a minute.

How dare a 4-4 team lose at home to the 12th ranked team in the country, they must be horrible.

Giving up 31 points in a bowl game to a team averaging 500+ yards and 40+ points a game? Losers.

Assuming no catastrophic injuries or really unexpected transfers, I think UW is battling for a Rose Bowl bid over the next couple seasons.

Context matters. Try reading what I was responding to.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2w4bj61v said:
kearly":2w4bj61v said:
Seahawks1983":2w4bj61v said:
Scoring differential can be misleading. UW's was heavily impacted by blowout wins over Sac State, Arizona, OSU, and WSU.

2 of those teams are god awful, and 1 was missing several major pieces. The upshot here is UW wasn't blown out in any of their losses, so that is usually a good sign.

Scoring differential is actually the best indicator stat you can find outside of advanced stats. There are very few elite teams with poor differentials. As has been noted at Football Outsiders, blowouts matter, even if you are blowing out bad teams.

UW scored 44+ in four of their final six games. They posted a +118 scoring differential in the final 6 games.

The only game all season where UW was clearly outmatched was at Stanford, the game that Browning missed with an arm / shoulder injury.

Just watching them, I haven't seen a UW team this good and this complete in a very long time. By the end of the year, Browning raised his YPA to 8.0, and his RB broke records. Both were true freshman. The OL was the best its been in 15 years. The defense was solid and consistent.

I don't really care about Sac State. But in the 2nd half of the season, UW was competing with tough teams and taking flawed teams back behind the woodshed. And they did this without almost any star power at WR, so it should be fun to see what the return of John Ross and the upcoming recruiting class will have next season. If UW wins less than 10 games next year i will be disappointed.

Huh?

Down the stretch UW lost at home to Utah, and absolutely gagged on themselves against a terrible ASU team. Then your vaunted defense gave up 31 points to Southern Miss.

You have to take it in context: their biggest question mark going into the year was OL and QB. Both are young squads and will likely improve. You could see the offensive improvements as the year went on. Look at the first half of the year, then the 2nd half of the year. And yes, most of the patsies get scheduled as "tune up" games at the beginning of the year.

I'm also impressed by the Huskies defense. Look at all the guys they lost to the NFL, then look at how young they were. They remained very solid, which speaks well to talent and coaching. Coaching remains consistent. This defense can be scary good next year.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1209tftl said:
CPHawk":1209tftl said:
SC thought they had Pendergast all but done, but now it sounds like UO and SC are bidding for him. If UO loses out on him, I'd expect either Wilcox or Brady Hoke to get the job. Most UO fans don't want Wilcox to be honest, but anything is better than Pellum.

http://reignoftroy.com/2016/01/06/clanc ... ordinator/

I guess its close to done per reports. But we'll see. Helton desperately needs Clancy since Ed O shot him down already.

Done. USC gets him. They're tough to beat in recruiting. Luckily not that tough to beat on the field.

drrew

Reaction score
So the first of the absurdly early (the 2015 CFB season isn't even over yet!!!) 2016 CFB rankings are out:http://athlonsports.com/college-football/very-early-college-football-top-25-2016

For our West Coast is the Best Coast view of things:

12. Stanford
16. USC
19. Washington
23. Washington State
24. Oregon
UCLA - team to watch

I expect Stanford to drop off quite a bit, even with how great McCaffrey is. They lose starters at QB, top 2 WR, 4 starting OL, 2 DE, 2 LB, and both S.

Washington and Washington State seem reasonable at this point, although I expect by the end of the season there to be quite a spread between the two programs.

Oregon, even with nobody at QB seems way too low. Assuming they get average Pac12 QB play out of someone, I would expect top 15 at the lowest.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3hrfeyzj said:
Those rankings are fair to begin the season, I still think with good health oregon ends up top 10..

I think the reason Oregon is so low is because of the limbo at DC and the question marks at QB. I think its a fair ranking right now, but like you said if Oregon ends up much higher in the real rankings it shouldn't shock anyone.

CPHawk":3hrfeyzj said:
A few thing Kerly, according the 247 ASU hasn't been out recruiting UO. As for Prukop, you might be right, but Texas, Alabama, Michigan, TCU and UO coaches all saw enough on film that they wanted him. But I also won't be surprised if Jonson or Wilson beat him out for the job.

I was going by scout / rivals.

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":29z6omln said:
1 concussion qualifies as "concussion problems" now?

I guess that means that Jake Browning has "shoulder problems?"

Good grief, UW homers are insufferable in their ignorance.

Falk was concussed initially against UCLA, but was recklessly put back into the game. It's possible he suffered multiple concussions in that game.

The next week, against Colorado, Falk was concussed so badly that he was taken off the field on a stretcher.

BTW, I like Falk and WSU. But I said nothing wrong about his concussion situation. It's serious enough that it should be a concern in every game he plays in for the next few seasons.

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2ewxbidd said:
Huh?

ASU was a weird game, UW dominated for 3 quarters and found a way to lose. I guess that happens with a true freshman QB.

Vs. Utah, Washington gained more yards, more first downs, won time of possession, and even won the turnover battle, but still lost by 11 points because the officiating was that damn bad. It made SB XL look like a walk in the park. I'm not bitter about the loss though, just seeing UW outplay a 12th ranked team is more than fine for a UW team that was all about development in 2015.

As far as 10 wins, I definitely think 10 is realistic. If UW wins every game they are currently favored in and loses every game they are not, they would end up with 10-11 wins, depending on who their bowl game is against.

Hell, with better luck UW might have flirted with 10 wins in 2015. UW was 6-3 in games not decided by one score, but had some tough breaks in close games. And UW's hard luck record of 1-3 in close games doesn't even count ASU and Utah, which were both two score losses where UW statistically outplayed the opponent but still found a way to lose.

But, I kind of expected UW to struggle in close games with a QB straight out of high school. Very excited for next season.

And hey, If I'm wrong and UW sucks, then it just makes the 45-10 Apple Cup that much more embarrassing for you guys.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1zmhrph0 said:
Espn's way to early top 25.

Stanford: 8
USC: 15
Oregon: 18
Wsu: 20
Ucla: 21
Washington: 25

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... rly-top-25

USC is a major enigma next year, I'm excited to see what Max Browne brings to the table.. and we should have another solid recruiting class.. but just not sold on Helton just yet. Not to mention they have a brutal opening schedule with Bama, Stanford and Utah in their first 4 weeks. Bama game is in JerryWorld and the first two conference games are roadies.

USC could very well be starting 1-3 to kick off 2016.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2jnp81q3 said:
JSeahawks":2jnp81q3 said:

USC is a major enigma next year, I'm excited to see what Max Browne brings to the table.. and we should have another solid recruiting class.. but just not sold on Helton just yet. Not to mention they have a brutal opening schedule with Bama, Stanford and Utah in their first 4 weeks. Bama game is in JerryWorld and the first two conference games are roadies.

Ultimately I think Browne will be a big upgrade over Kessler. Just depends on how long it takes him to settle in. I'm with you on Helton. But fact is USC has the talent to compete head to head against anybody if properly motivated and prepared.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3s555jow said:
Hasselbeck":3s555jow said:
JSeahawks":3s555jow said:

Ultimately I think Browne will be a big upgrade over Kessler. Just depends on how long it takes him to settle in. I'm with you on Helton. But fact is USC has the talent to compete head to head against anybody if properly motivated and prepared.

Agreed on Browne, I was hoping Kessler would enter the draft last year so Max could take over. Hoping he wins the starting gig in the Spring. Really excited to see what he's got.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
kearly":1173poh0 said:
Seahawks1983":1173poh0 said:
1 concussion qualifies as "concussion problems" now?

I guess that means that Jake Browning has "shoulder problems?"

Good grief, UW homers are insufferable in their ignorance.

Falk was concussed initially against UCLA, but was recklessly put back into the game. It's possible he suffered multiple concussions in that game.

The next week, against Colorado, Falk was concussed so badly that he was taken off the field on a stretcher.

BTW, I like Falk and WSU. But I said nothing wrong about his concussion situation. It's serious enough that it should be a concern in every game he plays in for the next few seasons.

LOL

Stop lying. If Falk had a concussion against UCLA, he never would have been allowed to return. You aren't a doctor, you were not in the locker room. You have zero credibility on this matter.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
kearly":lrejinj4 said:
Seahawks1983":lrejinj4 said:
Huh?

ASU was a weird game, UW dominated for 3 quarters and found a way to lose. I guess that happens with a true freshman QB.

Vs. Utah, Washington gained more yards, more first downs, won time of possession, and even won the turnover battle, but still lost by 11 points because the officiating was that damn bad. It made SB XL look like a walk in the park. I'm not bitter about the loss though, just seeing UW outplay a 12th ranked team is more than fine for a UW team that was all about development in 2015.

As far as 10 wins, I definitely think 10 is realistic. If UW wins every game they are currently favored in and loses every game they are not, they would end up with 10-11 wins, depending on who their bowl game is against.

Hell, with better luck UW might have flirted with 10 wins in 2015. UW was 6-3 in games not decided by one score, but had some tough breaks in close games. And UW's hard luck record of 1-3 in close games doesn't even count ASU and Utah, which were both two score losses where UW statistically outplayed the opponent but still found a way to lose.

But, I kind of expected UW to struggle in close games with a QB straight out of high school. Very excited for next season.

And hey, If I'm wrong and UW sucks, then it just makes the 45-10 Apple Cup that much more embarrassing for you guys.

You beat USC who literally had a drunk head coach on the sideline and a WSU team missing several key starters. I would say UW had plenty of luck this year.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Kearly I think your problem is that you view CFB through the lens of the NFL and so your CFB analysis is often wrong.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":aibfzpzt said:
I have a feeling the ducks are about to make a grand slam hire at defensive coordinator.

Someone that can teach Oregon how to tackle?

CPHawk

Reaction score
UO will land a good DC, but I'm not holding my breath on Nolan. Orlando is much more likely imo.

Latest posts