NFC Defensive Player of the Week......

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2014":26edm6yp said:
Richard Sherman has no peer.

He leads all cornerbacks, who have over 250 snaps, in averaging a reception allowed every 18.2 coverage snaps.

Top 5 Cover Snaps/Reception (min. 250 snaps)
1. Richard Sherman - 18.2
2. Demetrius McCray - 14.8
3. Darrelle Revis - 14.7
4. Vontae Davis - 14.5
5. Antonio Cromartie - 14.2

Though he has played only 142 cover snaps, Tharold Simon is allowing a reception every 20.3 coverage snaps. That is good for 2nd overall among all cornerbacks in the league. To do that while playing opposite Sherman is amazing. If Simon stays healthy and reduces his penalties, he is going to develop into a shutdown corner.

Very cool.

Maxwell has always been the LOB's target magnet, which helps inflate Sherman's ranking here, as well as Simon's apparently. I think it speaks volumes of how good a player Maxwell is that he's one of the more targeted corners in the league and yet nodody is rushing to label him the next 'Kelly Burndon'.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Simon has to learn how not to get Frank Brickowski'd ever goddamm game, but his physical skills are amazing. He is going to lock down that side and make deciding who to keep very hard some day.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3oitbtjx said:
Simon has to learn how not to get Frank Brickowski'd ever goddamm game, but his physical skills are amazing. He is going to lock down that side and make deciding who to keep very hard some day.

My Sonics memory barely goes back that far. I'm assuming this is a reference to Simon getting frustrated, or committing stupid fouls?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":31314qd8 said:
hawknation2014":31314qd8 said:
Richard Sherman has no peer.

He leads all cornerbacks, who have over 250 snaps, in averaging a reception allowed every 18.2 coverage snaps.

Top 5 Cover Snaps/Reception (min. 250 snaps)
1. Richard Sherman - 18.2
2. Demetrius McCray - 14.8
3. Darrelle Revis - 14.7
4. Vontae Davis - 14.5
5. Antonio Cromartie - 14.2

Though he has played only 142 cover snaps, Tharold Simon is allowing a reception every 20.3 coverage snaps. That is good for 2nd overall among all cornerbacks in the league. To do that while playing opposite Sherman is amazing. If Simon stays healthy and reduces his penalties, he is going to develop into a shutdown corner.

Very cool.

Maxwell has always been the LOB's target magnet, which helps inflate Sherman's ranking here, as well as Simon's apparently. I think it speaks volumes of how good a player Maxwell is that he's one of the more targeted corners in the league and yet nodody is rushing to label him the next 'Kelly Burndon'.

Demetrius McCray is a guy I really wanted us to draft a couple years ago. He played QB in HS and has a similar body type as Sherman with long arms and a similar athleticism and burst to the football.

Looking at PFF's breakdown of the Jaguars, McCray, Sen'Derrick Marks, and Telvin Smith (a guy I really wanted us to take this year) are the only starters on that team with positive grades. Playing defense on a terrible team could mean it will take a couple years for McCray and Smith to get some recognition.

byau

Reaction score
kearly":1t3643hp said:
Scottemojo":1t3643hp said:

My Sonics memory barely goes back that far. I'm assuming this is a reference to Simon getting frustrated, or committing stupid fouls?

Hmm. I don't even remember Brick being on the Sonics. I had to look it up mid 1980's, so pretty much when I think I was super depressed about the Sonics and at the time the Sonics were "Super Bowl bound"

Wasn't Olden a foul machine too?

Speaking of which... seriously, I would love to see a different Seahawk get this award each week. We got a lot of fellas playing at a high caliber right now, it's not out of the question especially if the Seahawks D shut down the Eagles O

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2014":9gtwnsxh said:
Demetrius McCray is a guy I really wanted us to draft a couple years ago.

I remember him, I think I had an article highlighting him on SDB. Gist of it being, he was a super-raw version of Tharold Simon. At the time I thought Simon was sure to be a 2nd round pick, and McCray was set to be a 6th rounder, so McCray seemed like exactly the kind of bargain bin project Seattle would target. Instead we got lucky and Simon fell to the 5th.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":2us0jick said:
hawknation2014":2us0jick said:
Demetrius McCray is a guy I really wanted us to draft a couple years ago.

I remember him, I think I had an article highlighting him on SDB. Gist of it being, he was a super-raw version of Tharold Simon. At the time I thought Simon was sure to be a 2nd round pick, and McCray was set to be a 6th rounder, so McCray seemed like exactly the kind of bargain bin project Seattle would target. Instead we got lucky and Simon fell to the 5th.

And McCray came really damn close to being an undrafted free agent. No guarantee that Carroll would have been able to sign him here, but still brutal because of the possibility.

The funny thing is, with the way teams are now trying to replicate our drafting style post-Super Bowl, no way would McCray be a 7th round pick if he had been in this year's draft.

irocdave

Reaction score
My memories of Frank Brickowski was when he played for the super sonics in the mid 90's. IIRC, he was the big white stiff who would come in to maul centers. I think Rodman grabbed his dingle berries in the NBA finals and Brick almost beat his ass on the court?