NFC Playoff Team Defenses: A Breakdown

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think it goes without saying that the Seahawks OL does not fare very well against teams with an imposing defensive line. Arizona had their way with us on two separate occasions. The Rams had their way with us, as always. Even the Bucs found a way to impose their will on this offensive line and essentially derail the entire offensive game plan.

One thing to be encouraged by though with the playoffs looming - there are no Rams or Cardinals like defenses in the postseason this year. Quite the contrary actually.. here are the rankings for each respective team coming into Week 17.

1. Dallas
Against the run: 1st overall
Against the pass: 27th overall
Sacks: T-18th overall
Interceptions: T-25th overall
Scoring: 4th overall
Turnover Differential: +7 (T-6th overall)

Summary: The Cowboys have a surprisingly stout run defense, but that could be in large part due to a soft pass defense and the fact many teams are trailing and have to abandon the run. This is a team that's improved at rushing the passer as of late, but still really struggles generating a consistent pass rush.

2. Atlanta
Against the run: 16th overall
Against the pass: 26th overall
Sacks: 17th overall
Interceptions: T-20th overall
Scoring: 25th overall
Turnover Differential: +10 (T-3rd overall)

Summary: The Falcons don't embody a Dan Quinn defense just yet, but they do create turnovers in bundles and that's what makes them dangerous. They're essentially banking on winning a shootout each time out. In my opinion Atlanta is the one team I'd prefer to avoid, but they also arguably have the softest defense of the NFC contenders.

4. Green Bay
Against the run: 9th overall
Against the pass: 29th overall
Sacks: T-5th overall
Interceptions: T-3rd overall
Scoring: 22nd overall
Turnover Differential: +7 (T-6th overall)

Summary: The Packers defensive struggles have been known for much of the season. They are tough to run the ball against, but you are able to get big pass plays on them more often than you'd normally be able to get otherwise. Thanks to Dom Capers aggressive nature, the Packers do generate a decent pass rush, but the guys they have in the back end of the defense are paltry at best. Like the Falcons, they are an opportunistic defense (as we've already seen this month) and any turnovers they are able to create only gives their explosive offense more opportunities to score.

5. NY Giants
Against the run: 7th overall
Against the pass: 22nd overall
Sacks: T-18th overall
Interceptions: T-7th overall
Scoring: 3rd overall
Turnover Differential: -5 (T-24th overall)

Summary: The Giants defense is probably the "best" out of the playoff field we would conceivably run into at some point in January. However, the loss of Jason Pierre-Paul leaves a huge hole in their pass rush. They are stout against the run and rookie Landon Collins has been a ball hawk for much of the season, but unlike Atlanta and Green Bay - they very seldom win the turnover battle.

6. Detroit
Against the run: 17th overall
Against the pass: 16th overall
Sacks: T-29th overall
Interceptions: T-22nd overall
Scoring: 13th overall
Turnover Differential: 0 (T-16th overall)

Summary: The Lions are a relative middle of the pack defense with a horrid pass rush (great news for us!). They are also not very good at creating turnovers, nor are they very good at anything particular on that side of the ball. Very average team (especially on the defensive side of the ball) all in all.

7. Washington
Against the run: 25th overall
Against the pass: 28th overall
Sacks: T-7th overall
Interceptions: T-12th overall
Scoring: T-22nd overall
Turnover Differential: 3 (T-12th overall)

Summary: If the Giants defense is the best defense we may run into, the Redskins defense would certainly qualify as the worst. A couple things stick out here, namely.. they will blitz and blitz plenty.. but they do so because they are not equipped to consistently stop anything (whether its the run or the pass). They have had success in creating turnovers, but if you protect the ball against this team - you should put up some good offensive numbers, and as a result.. enough points to get the victory.

Ranking the defenses of NFC Playoff Teams/Playoff Hopefuls (Worst To Best)
7. Washington
6. Detroit
5. Green Bay
4. Dallas
3. Atlanta
2. NY Giants
1. Seattle (I know it doesn't feel this way necessarily, but it's still true)

iigakusei

Reaction score
Thanks for the post - great info.
Problem is we could probably round up five .netters and create a pass rush on the Seahawks OL. :D

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The Packers, despite their ranking, have got Wilson solved.

Between the NFC Championship game a few years ago and the turnover fest in Lambeau earlier this season, they just dominate. I can't figure it out.

mrt144

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1tvg1qaf said:

Between the NFC Championship game a few years ago and the turnover fest in Lambeau earlier this season, they just dominate. I can't figure it out.

It seems that some teams, through exposure, pick up a few things along the way.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
iigakusei":10dwrlf0 said:
Problem is we could probably round up five .netters and create a pass rush on the Seahawks OL. :D

I was thinking 3..but I shall bow out on this one....because of my shoulder of course. :twisted: :stirthepot:

Largent80

Reaction score
Every week this year we were facing "the best defensive front in the NFL".....Bullshit.

It's an excuse for poor drafting, poor F.A. signing on the offensive line.

They decided to pay the defense and a couple players on offense and you are seeing the Seahawks line, which I affectionately call..."Ole" instead of O-Line.

Our own defense needs Terrell to get his shit together, quit playing 30 yards off the line of scrimmage because he Ain't no EARL THOMAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terrell will kill us in the playoffs. Our defense is set up for Earl to make the differences in coverage that allow us to play this defense. Without him, if we play the same defense with Terrell, we're screwed and don't even think we are not.

Since Earl has been out, we are #28 vs. the pass and dead last vs. the bomb.

I'm not even going to address the teams we may play.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":1k7t94hw said:
Every week this year we were facing "the best defensive front in the NFL".....Bullshit.

It's an excuse for poor drafting, poor F.A. signing on the offensive line.

They decided to pay the defense and a couple players on offense and you are seeing the Seahawks line, which I affectionately call..."Ole" instead of O-Line.

Our own defense needs Terrell to get his shit together, quit playing 30 yards off the line of scrimmage because he Ain't no EARL THOMAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terrell will kill us in the playoffs. Our defense is set up for Earl to make the differences in coverage that allow us to play this defense. Without him, if we play the same defense with Terrell, we're screwed and don't even think we are not.

Since Earl has been out, we are #28 vs. the pass and dead last vs. the bomb.

I'm not even going to address the teams we may play.

Definitely a lot of truth here, and the biggest reason I fear Atlanta. However, our offense ideally should put some numbers up too to compensate for an Earl Thomas less defense.

A lot of these teams are built to get a couple of turnovers in order to give their explosive offenses another crack at a touchdown.

I think the way we've been playing lately concerns me in that department more than anything else. We had been avoiding blowouts because of the way we owned the turnover game, now we're giving it away with ease.

But just scraping the surface, none of these defenses are world beaters either. Remember the NFL is all about matchups.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
If I was picking it would be the Skins or Giants. No way we beat GB and Atlanta has far too many weapons. The legacy factor with the Giants and the officials would have me worried.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Those pass defense rankings are atrocious. Feature Jimmy, get Doug his touches, lets win this Superbowl.

Obama 2020

RussB

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3tg9e4py said:

They probably figured out a wrinkle in his game that not everyone has caught onto. Because it seems like whenever he plays them he throws weird ass interceptions and throws them in bunches. I wonder why that is.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
RussB":33alirae said:
FlyingGreg":33alirae said:

They probably figured out a wrinkle in his game that not everyone has caught onto. Because it seems like whenever he plays them he throws weird ass interceptions and throws them in bunches. I wonder why that is.

Yes. They have something figured out.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
iigakusei":2je2d035 said:

You're not kidding. Have you seen Anguish's biceps?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2lok6xxl said:
RussB":2lok6xxl said:
FlyingGreg":2lok6xxl said:

Yes. They have something figured out.

"Put your best man coverage corner on Jermaine Kearse and wait for Russ to throw a fade at him"? Yeah, I think we've all figured that out.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Is there a place that has each single weeks evaluations of how they were ranked? Even the last 6 weeks would work. Trying to get a feel of how they played out for the last several weeks helps build a trend and a feeling of how they may fare in the coming weeks.