NFL coach power rankings

rideaducati

Reaction score
Rex":2z3ho2ly said:
rideaducati":2z3ho2ly said:
Rex":2z3ho2ly said:
Fisher should be in top 12.

Top 12 what? Reasons the Rams should move?

Definitely in top 3 for giving Seahawks fits. No other coach could do so with such an anemic offense.

Fisher shouldn't be ranked in the top 32 NFL head coaches because he doesn't deserve to be an NFL head coach.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RichNhansom":18dn5uys said:
The question I have is why in all that time did none of the coaches move him into any kind of coordinator role? Or why didn't any other organization seek to interview him? Is he respected as a good guy/hard worker or as a good football mind?

More generally point taken, but he was brought in to interview for the Vikings HC gig, and the Browns were sniffing around him as HC too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ngs-today/

https://twitter.com/BWilliamsonESPN/sta ... 2437704704

As for why he was never promoted into a coordinator role, I dunno, but I think the positive spin on this (I'm spinning it positively merely as an exercise, not saying this is THE WAY we should look at it) is because when he was hired in 2007 Greg Manusky was the DC, and he stayed the DC through Nolan and Singletary's tenure without leaving. Then when Harbaugh was hired, he brought in entirely his own guys with him save for Tomsula, and Fangio never left during Harbaugh's tenure.

So, since 2007 when he was hired there was never actually an open spot to be promoted to DC until now, and instead of moving up in the ranks to DC (as would be more typical) they moved him up to HC (and if the rumors are to be believed, he got the HC job only because Adam Gase insisted on bringing in his own DC rather than promoting someone he didn't know to DC, that person being Tomsula).

Just to say it again NONE OF THIS means that he won't promptly fall flat on his face, but I think the particulars of the history of his tenure explain why he wasn't a DC first.

EDIT: Re: the Gase rumors, the other part of that rumor is that in the first interview him not wanting a DC he didn't already know (Tomsula) was the first sticking point, and then either he or the 9ers got over that, but he really tanked it in the second interview so they moved on. The real dirty part of this rumor is that Gase supposedly would have signed on if Fangio remained the DC, which supposedly, Fangio signed on for also (he just didn't want to be leapfrogged by Tomsula). (eek).

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2gmnynlc said:
RichNhansom":2gmnynlc said:
The question I have is why in all that time did none of the coaches move him into any kind of coordinator role? Or why didn't any other organization seek to interview him? Is he respected as a good guy/hard worker or as a good football mind?

More generally point taken, but he was brought in to interview for the Vikings HC gig, and the Browns were sniffing around him as HC too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ngs-today/

https://twitter.com/BWilliamsonESPN/sta ... 2437704704

As for why he was never promoted into a coordinator role, I dunno, but I think the positive spin on this (I'm spinning it positively merely as an exercise, not saying this is THE WAY we should look at it) is because when he was hired in 2007 Greg Manusky was the DC, and he stayed the DC through Nolan and Singletary's tenure without leaving. Then when Harbaugh was hired, he brought in entirely his own guys with him save for Tomsula, and Fangio never left during Harbaugh's tenure.

So, since 2007 when he was hired there was never actually an open spot to be promoted to DC until now, and instead of moving up in the ranks to DC (as would be more typical) they moved him up to HC (and if the rumors are to be believed, he got the HC job only because Adam Gase insisted on bringing in his own DC rather than promoting someone he didn't know to DC, that person being Tomsula).

Just to say it again NONE OF THIS means that he won't promptly fall flat on his face, but I think the particulars of the history of his tenure explain why he wasn't a DC first.

EDIT: Re: the Gase rumors, the other part of that rumor is that in the first interview him not wanting a DC he didn't already know (Tomsula) was the first sticking point, and then either he or the 9ers got over that, but he really tanked it in the second interview so they moved on. The real dirty part of this rumor is that Gase supposedly would have signed on if Fangio remained the DC, which supposedly, Fangio signed on for also (he just didn't want to be leapfrogged by Tomsula). (eek).

Second most of that.

Tomsula has always been viewed as an outstanding D-Line guy and a players coach and it was always a big deal to keep him regardless of who the HC was going to be. Even when Sing was fired, Tomsula was elevated to HC THEN over both of the coordinators.

As for why he didn't generate more buzz around the league? No idea. Pretty clear tho that the people in the building and many of the players throughout the league were aware of him. Justin Smith loves the guy. He got support from guys no longer on the team via twitter (LaMichael James, Ricky Jean-Francois among others) and Darnell Dockett said that Tomsula would talk with him after games all the time and was a huge factor in him signing in SF.

None of that has anything to do with his ability as an HC, but it isn't like the guy came outta nowhere. People were aware of him.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Thanks Popeye and Marvin your answers make sense.

It does make for an interesting dynamic though. I know it is a tough thought but what if the 9ers go say 4-12 next year? Or 7-9 even. How will that play out as far as changes? Baalke seems to have York's ear and belief he can do no wrong and many believe JimTom is just a yes man so if the year is a miserable failure who goes? Or do you think they will stay the course no matter what?

What about Mangini? What if the defense falls back to earth and finish's in the bottom 3rd? Or sir Jeep if Kaepernick struggles to grow in his offense? Do you think they will make changes immediately? Or not? How about Kaep himself if he regresses even further? Do you think they release him or try and trade him?

I ask this because it is obvious what would happen if they go 10-6. I think anyone including the FO and fans would consider that a success but many believe they won't for obvious reasons. So if the season does go the way many are predicting then what happens?

Thanks for your answers, I'll take them off the air.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3h6mu23y said:

It does make for an interesting dynamic though. I know it is a tough thought but what if the 9ers go say 4-12 next year? Or 7-9 even. How will that play out as far as changes? Baalke seems to have York's ear and belief he can do no wrong and many believe JimTom is just a yes man so if the year is a miserable failure who goes? Or do you think they will stay the course no matter what?

What about Mangini? What if the defense falls back to earth and finish's in the bottom 3rd? Or sir Jeep if Kaepernick struggles to grow in his offense? Do you think they will make changes immediately? Or not? How about Kaep himself if he regresses even further? Do you think they release him or try and trade him?

I ask this because it is obvious what would happen if they go 10-6. I think anyone including the FO and fans would consider that a success but many believe they won't for obvious reasons. So if the season does go the way many are predicting then what happens?

I really think the "yes-man" thing comes from outside the building. I've never seen Tomsula that way. He knows what he knows and he isn't afraid to say when he doesn't, but that doesn't make him a yes-man.

I said when Harbaugh was fired and have maintained since that the further we get from Harbaugh leaving the more it will become clear why he's gone. I think that's playing out.

This from Matt Maiocco:

"Obviously, there are a lot of changes with this year’s team. Last year was awful – far beyond the team’s disappointing 8-8 record. It seemed as if the players exhibited little enjoyment amid all the drama. It was the most humorless bunch of people I’d ever seen. The 49ers liken the coaching change to a “breath of fresh air.” And there did seemed to be more enthusiasm from the players this offseason."

Now this in no way means they'll be better. What I do think it means tho that Harbaughs departure was necessitated by more than just a personality conflict with the Owner and the GM. I think we saw bits of that last year during the year. While I was all for Harbaugh coming back and didn't want him to leave, I think it was inevitable. That's just who Harbaugh is.

As for what happens is they go 4-12? Dunno. Tough to say. It might depend on HOW they get to that record. Do I think they just blow it up if it happens? I don't think so. I think they've loved Tomsula for a long time now and will give him a real chance...but this is the NFL so if it really blows up bad, you never really know.

Kap? I happen to think that he WILL be better with all the work he's put in and a new OC. Adding the ZBS, much more emphasis on passing to RBs and screens (something they almost NEVER used with Roman...look at Gores receptions when Harbaugh took over...DRAMATIC drop and it started with Alex Smith behind center).

Again from Maiocco:

"Tomsula and his staff spent the offseason working on many of the obvious areas in which last year’s team had shortcomings, most notably, breaking the huddle earlier in the play clock.

The team also worked on screens and a short-passing game, utilizing tight ends down the middle of the field, red-zone offense, red-zone blitz packages, discipline and accountability (on and off the field). But just because the coaching staff identified areas they wish to improve does not mean they’ll be any more successful."

Mangini? HUGE "?". The Niners were just so talented on D in the past that Fangio didn't really have to scheme pressure. They rarely blitzed and just played man up.

That's not Manginis style. SMART guy, but is he too smart? Will he scheme himself into trouble? No idea. Time will tell.

Rex

Reaction score
rideaducati":1qnt58kk said:
Rex":1qnt58kk said:
rideaducati":1qnt58kk said:
Rex":1qnt58kk said:
Fisher should be in top 12.

Top 12 what? Reasons the Rams should move?

Definitely in top 3 for giving Seahawks fits. No other coach could do so with such an anemic offense.

Fisher shouldn't be ranked in the top 32 NFL head coaches because he doesn't deserve to be an NFL head coach.

Deserve? He's the 4th highest paid coach in the NFL and serves on the Rules Committee.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3vsjanai said:

Just spitballing here, but unless the 9ers go 2-14 or something (like, let's say they go 4-12 to 6-10 or 7-9) I think:

1) They keep Tomsula for another year and replace the coordinators, or at least the coordinator on the more offending side of the ball. They do this for two reaons: to try to save face on the Tomsula hire, and because the single biggest problem with the Tomsula hire is that he's not well known/well connected enough around the NFL to have been able to attract top coordinator talent. Internally promoting Chryst and Mangini was basically their only options, IMO.

If the 9ers suck next year though I think they'll be maybe able to attract higher status coordinator talent b/c people will understand that if the 9ers suck again being a coordinator on the 9ers is a clear shot to a HC job.

2) As for Kaepernick, I also don't see them cutting bait or trading Kaepernick in this scenario, again for two reasons. First, cutting or trading Kaepernick is fully admitting that you blew it and are gonna start over and I don't see them doing, and secondly and MUCH more importantly, they would be cutting Kaepernick to start WHOM? Teams simply don't bail on their starting QBs without better options, and unless they go 2-14 or whatever they won't be in the position to draft a better option. TBF I also don't think Kaepernick was nearly as good as people thought he was two summers ago, and I don't think he's nearly as bad as people think this summer.

Long story short, Tomsula will get canned before they bail on Kaepernick IMO, but I don't see either of those things happening next offseason. .

rideaducati

Reaction score
Rex":3o73g7k7 said:
rideaducati":3o73g7k7 said:

Deserve? He's the 4th highest paid coach in the NFL and serves on the Rules Committee.

That's what I mean, what the hell has he done to deserve being the 4th highest paid coach in the league? He is on the rules committee and his teams are always among the top teams in personal fouls. Not my money. I hope he stays the coach of the curly horned goats for a very long time. I don't think we should be hearing that he is a great coach because he isn't a great coach, but some mediot says he's a great coach every time I see a televised goat game.

ringless

Reaction score
Jeff Fisher. LOL

I feel like we have 2 of the top 5 coaches in the NFL in our division hands down.

I like Pete's coaching style a lot more because of the positivity of it. Not to mention back to back Super Bowl appearances and again the #1 Defense.

Arians though is 30-13 as a head coach though and has AZ at 10, 11, 10 and counting wins in his 3 years.

Maulbert

Reaction score
ringless":1h5ycpb1 said:
Jeff Fisher. LOL

I feel like we have 2 of the top 5 coaches in the NFL in our division hands down.

I like Pete's coaching style a lot more because of the positivity of it. Not to mention back to back Super Bowl appearances and again the #1 Defense.

Arians though is 30-13 as a head coach though and has AZ at 10, 11, 10 and counting wins in his 3 years.

From the middle of 2011 through 2014, Carroll had a record of 41-15. From the middle of 2012 through 2014, that record is 32-8.

I'd still take Carroll, he has the ring.

drdiags

Reaction score
I know the 9ers are a joke but if Tomusula gets a second season I think he will be a hidden asset. We can clown his PC but look at how the team has played since they changed QBs. I like meat-grinder types (Les Steckel is how I see how the snobs perceive him). He may be the biggest doofus but I like coaches that aren't orators but motivators. His problem is how he rose to power as far as outsiders are concerned.

But other than that, yeah Tomusula is a crazy like a fox.

ringless

Reaction score
Maulbert":15glcjur said:
ringless":15glcjur said:
Jeff Fisher. LOL

From the middle of 2011 through 2014, Carroll had a record of 41-15. From the middle of 2012 through 2014, that record is 32-8.

What I am saying is we have two of the top 5 defenses in this one division in the entire league. That's pretty cool.
If Harbs was still here we'd have three and hands down the best coaching in the NFL.

Maulbert

Reaction score
ringless":u9z5g27u said:
Maulbert":u9z5g27u said:
ringless":u9z5g27u said:
Jeff Fisher. LOL

What I am saying is we have two of the top 5 defenses in this one division in the entire league. That's pretty cool.
If Harbs was still here we'd have three and hands down the best coaching in the NFL.

Jed York took care of that.

Threedee

Reaction score
Getting blown-out against a division opponent late in the season isn't going to help him keep his job.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Yep I'd take just about every coach on that list over Fisher. If he isn't fired this year I'm going into next year with 0-16 expectations so that they are exceeded by a few games.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
rlkats":1enivbzs said:
And one day if if if it happens you will not ever see me gloating or talking crap to you guys.

Then you're missing out.