Seahawks drop in NFLPA Team Report Card rankings

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
How is any of that even debatable to anyone who has flown further than SEA>SFO? I'm a big human, like 15lb lighter than our center, so maybe I'm just sensitive. I couldn't imagine being Olu size flying from Seattle to Baltimore and back in anything less than business class after playing 60min of football for a multi billy company.

Timberhawk

Reaction score
I actually agree with @Maelstrom787

That said, I fully understand the opposing viewpoints and perception of spoiled entitlement with regard to first class.

That said.. I'll echo some of Mael's thoughts.

1. I'm an airline pilot. I can tell you that the ability to fly comfortably on long flights is transformative with regard to fatigue. When I cross ponds, having a first class or biz class seat can virtually evaporate customary jet leg. I won't even cross a pond when I leisure travel unless I can sit in biz. It seriously "adds" a day to my vacation.

2. The Seahawks travel more miles than any other team perpetually. In other words, if any team would benefit from the increased comfort of lay down seats and the abilty to rest, it's Seattle. They routinely have trips blocked at 6 hours or more.

3. My take is based on my experience in a 5'10'' "regular dude" body. I find coach and even econ + confined. I can't imagine how that seat feels to a Charles Cross or Anthony Bradford.

4. The flight home comes after three hours of violent collisions commensurate to freaking minor car wrecks. The body needs the abilty relax, stretch out, and be unrestricted to avoid clotting and cramping.

In other words, it is a competitive advantage, not just a luxury ask perk of the job. I get it. I know these dudes are paid bank, but it makes a difference.
I am 5’ 18” tall 230 lbs. and played a sport in college. I used to have to fly coach across the country and back. After a game my knees were howling. There was no way I could rest let alone sleep I was so bloody uncomfortable. Every minute of those flights was torture. They still are to be frank. The times I get the exit row make a huge difference let alone first class. I would pony up for that and the trainers for sure.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I am 5’ 18” tall 230 lbs. and played a sport in college. I used to have to fly coach across the country and back. After a game my knees were howling. There was no way I could rest let alone sleep I was so bloody uncomfortable. Every minute of those flights was torture. They still are to be frank. The times I get the exit row make a huge difference let alone first class. I would pony up for that and the trainers for sure.
Go Aggies!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I actually agree with @Maelstrom787

That said, I fully understand the opposing viewpoints and perception of spoiled entitlement with regard to first class.

That said.. I'll echo some of Mael's thoughts.

1. I'm an airline pilot. I can tell you that the ability to fly comfortably on long flights is transformative with regard to fatigue. When I cross ponds, having a first class or biz class seat can virtually evaporate customary jet leg. I won't even cross a pond when I leisure travel unless I can sit in biz. It seriously "adds" a day to my vacation.

2. The Seahawks travel more miles than any other team perpetually. In other words, if any team would benefit from the increased comfort of lay down seats and the abilty to rest, it's Seattle. They routinely have trips blocked at 6 hours or more.

3. My take is based on my experience in a 5'10'' "regular dude" body. I find coach and even econ + confined. I can't imagine how that seat feels to a Charles Cross or Anthony Bradford.

4. The flight home comes after three hours of violent collisions commensurate to freaking minor car wrecks. The body needs the abilty relax, stretch out, and be unrestricted to avoid clotting and cramping.

In other words, it is a competitive advantage, not just a luxury ask perk of the job. I get it. I know these dudes are paid bank, but it makes a difference.
This is exactly it. I don't look at it as coddling them, or the players whining about a lack of luxury. These dudes are inflicting trauma upon themselves to earn outrageous sums of money for their organizations. Yes, they're paid handsomely, but they're paid handsomely to perform and they more than make up for it in the revenue they generate.

We should endeavor to keep them as comfortable as possible. Aid their recovery, aid their rest. Flying in non-first-class accommodations before and after killing their bodies for the team is a torturous prospect. Hell, I'm an office worker at 5'8", 170 and I can barely stand that crap.

These guys have no work-life balance in the season. Their downtime is also work time. Every waking minute they've got during the season generally goes towards either preparation or rehabilitation. It's not a normal job. They need to be provided for if we expect them to provide for us at the highest level.

Paul Allen wasn't coddling these dudes with our state-of-the-art, no-expense-spared accommodations. He was investing in them.

It's such a small thing. These dudes need to rest. They have to travel more than any other players in the league. The least we can do is give them some friggin' leg room so they can travel comfortably instead of getting off the planes tired and with back spasms and locked-up knees.

It'd be different if they were complaining about their lockers not being encrusted with jewels and the ping-pong paddles in the recreational portion of the facility not being premium enough.

seahawks08

Reaction score
They should probably add a clause in their NFLPA contract but I don’t know if there is enough business class seats. Alaska was a partner before but they didn’t fly to Europe. Delta is well connected. I am sure if Delta uses Hawks as a brand, they can invest in taking care of their partners as well. Dedicated planes are fine but it’s a waste of money keeping the plane in an hangar. If they fly commercial, probably schedule and flexed games would mess everything up. I am just think aloud not knowing why players can’t get comfort if it becomes a competitive advantage.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
As someone who is 6'3" and played college football, I am also all about doing what is necessary to keep these players comfortable during travel. If you're not a big person, you have no idea how uncomfortable things like this can be. And, having a subpar training room /trainers is just inexcusable. We've all wanted upgrades to the strength and conditioning coaches in an effort to keep the boys healthy. Maybe we have been barking up the wrong tree.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
As a practical matter, I don’t see how this happens, short of having a plane that if reconfigured for flying the team to and from games.

An NFL game day roster has 48 active players, and I would think that teams bring several inactive players along, in case someone gets hurt before kickoff.

But let’s go with 50.

How many domestic planes have 50 first class seats? Most don’t even have 25.

I’m sure that coach ain’t flying coach if the players are in first class. How many coaches do you need up there?

So, you would have to split the team into three to four planes, if you didn’t have one reconfigured for them.

Seems like a challenge.

Maybe you could buy all of first class, and reward them to your top players each game?

Just not sure from a practical matter how this works on domestic planes. Even international 747 and 380 class planes would barely have enough seats to go around.

morgulon1

Reaction score

bruh, 21 teams ranked ahead of Seahawks.

Team travel was a C last year and remains a C this year. Personal room seems to be an issue among players, and unless something changed from 2022, the Seahawks are one of just seven teams without first-class seating.

one word to describe this: C H E A P.

Chiefs grade - F

All they do is win Superbowls as of late.

morgulon1

Reaction score
As a practical matter, I don’t see how this happens, short of having a plane that if reconfigured for flying the team to and from games.

An NFL game day roster has 48 active players, and I would think that teams bring several inactive players along, in case someone gets hurt before kickoff.

But let’s go with 50.

How many domestic planes have 50 first class seats? Most don’t even have 25.

I’m sure that coach ain’t flying coach if the players are in first class. How many coaches do you need up there?

So, you would have to split the team into three to four planes, if you didn’t have one reconfigured for them.

Seems like a challenge.

Maybe you could buy all of first class, and reward them to your top players each game?

Just not sure from a practical matter how this works on domestic planes. Even international 747 and 380 class planes would barely have enough seats to go around.
Just configure the plane to comfortably
Fit 50 athletic people . Maybe something between coach and first class.

I would imagine they would need to be able to transport a a player with an injured leg or back.

The question I have is:

How many seats are on a standard configuration of their jet ? 50? 75? 100?
I've never thought about it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Well, clearly it has impacted the Chiefs. Oh wait.........
There are certain things that impact organizational prestige. Where would they be had they not taken perhaps the greatest talent at QB ever and got lucky that Philly fired Reid?

Probably the same middling-to-awful franchise they were before.

Wins and losses matter. Organizational excellence is a big part of this.

There are clear signs that Jody is miserly, for whatever the reasons may be. The Blazers are a clear example of how that has already worked.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There are certain things that impact organizational prestige. Where would they be had they not taken perhaps the greatest talent at QB ever and got lucky that Philly fired Reid?

Probably the same middling-to-awful franchise they were before.

Wins and losses matter. Organizational excellence is a big part of this.

There are clear signs that Jody is miserly, for whatever the reasons may be. The Blazers are a clear example of how that has already worked.
Fair enough. Meh. I just care how they play on the field.

Seahawker

Reaction score
I think this thread has readily exposed the primary reason this team has been snake bitten over injuries seemingly forever. The examples extra large posters have given about brutal long flights and knowing we fly far more miles than any other team are absolutely telling.
Ownership should rectify this and order a custom 747 or 737 for $100M & change.
I mean really, a $250M loaded roster, 400M stadium, all the other operating costs in quest for a Superbowl and our guys are sardine canned, no. This needs to get fixed, besides, it will only increase the franchise value and they will get their investment back in spades when the team is sold. This could be causing us one win a year loss and the thought of our training room being subpar and lacking physical therapist, inexcusable.
Visions of some of the largest humans on earth being uncomfortable & annoyed on a 12 hour flight while RW highsteps the aisle come to mind.
IMHO this issue has to have a measurable negative effect on overall team performance, it would seem.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Imagine being on a team that, due to location, has to travel double or triple the distance of a majority of the other teams in the league.

Now imagine you generate massive amounts of revenue for said organization, which a portion of is simply pocketed by ownership.

NOW, imagine those same multiple billionaires not even giving you a decent plane seat to offset the fact that you're traveling more than any other player in the league to make them millions of dollars.

Yes, you're generally doing pretty damn good financially as a player in the NFL.

But you could be rich and comfortable instead of rich and cramped in a plane seat trying to rest before and after sustaining car accident level hits to make your even MORE filthy rich owners richer.

Now imagine being on a vet minimum salary and probably only having two or three years in your entire career.

This sucks, man. Do better Vulcan

Further, since travel distance and rest have been shown to be major factors in win probabilities, and since on-the-field success is the number-one driver of team revenues, it just makes good business sense for the Seahawks to attempt to mitigate the built-in disadvantage they have just from being the team with the most travel miles year after year, even when they're not one of the teams forced to play one of those stupid games in Europe.

Player comfort during travel is an investment that could pay off greatly for the Seahawks.

But that's really the problem, isn't it? At least publicly, team owners and front offices (and their buddies in the corporate media) treat player compensation as if it were an expense, when the reality is that player compensation is an investment. The fact that the Seahawks won't invest adequately in player comfort during travel suggests it's not just misleading rhetoric used in public debates, but that in fact the team's management honestly doesn't understand the difference between expenses and investments in success. I can't decide if it would be worse if it turned out they were fools or knaves, but the lack of investment in travel comfort for players makes me believe they're more fools than knaves on this one. More dumbasses than assholes, using more-modern terms.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score