NFL Opener? (speculation)

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":21pqk8u8 said:
"There's no difference between wanting something to happen, and expecting it to."

-Hasselbeck

Known for his philosophy obviously.

I want there to be an after life.... I don't realistically expect there to be.

Not a good quote.

twelthmanfan

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong however I thought they rotated schedules each year. Last year, San Fran came to Seattle first so this year, we go to San Fran first. My inside source (my brain) predicts either the Cowboys or the Packers.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd rather it be Denver coming to town for a rematch over a tough inter-conference game.

The league owes Denver a stick in the eye game due to handing them a gift last year when the Orioles refused to let the Ravens have a home game to open the season.

randomation

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":p9e8ng71 said:
I'd rather it be Denver coming to town for a rematch over a tough inter-conference game.

The league owes Denver a stick in the eye game due to handing them a gift last year when the Orioles refused to let the Ravens have a home game to open the season.

No way they make Peyton start against the LoB having Peyton chasing records and starting with 7 tds is good for the league getting completely shut down and having maybe 1 td is not. Guessing either the cowboys or Packers.

Cartire

Reaction score
twelthmanfan":30fv52r4 said:
Correct me if I am wrong however I thought they rotated schedules each year. Last year, San Fran came to Seattle first so this year, we go to San Fran first. My inside source (my brain) predicts either the Cowboys or the Packers.

You have been corrected. That is incorrect.

We've played the St. Louis Rams at home the last game of the season eh to last two seasons. No rules prevent that.

Perfundle

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3vkl577s said:
It doesn't make sense for the league, honestly.

That's a matchup that's going to draw tons of viewers. Why waste it on the kickoff game, which is already going to draw tons of viewers? That game is better off as a marquee game in mid-season.
2013: Baltimore at Denver
2012: Dallas at New York
2011: New Orleans at Green Bay
2010: Minnesota at New Orleans
2009: Tennessee at Pittsburgh

Aren't all of these games marquee games? The NFL has been "wasting" these games on the kickoff game for years. On a historical basis, it very well does make sense. And the Green Bay game is almost as anticipated as the San Francisco game. By your theory, it should be used on a game like the New York Giants game.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I hope we have more nationally televised games to open eyes out there. So many people still think Seattle was a fluke. I want their eyes to be blinded by numerous Harvin returns. I want their hearts to deflate when RW proves his play making over and over again. I want the nation to see that our defense can crush opponents but that our offense can obliterate them as well. I hope we drop 50 burgers and Marshawn still begs "Can we score some more?".

rightbench

Reaction score
I'm betting that the Seahawks will play the 9ers in SF to open their new stadium (week 2 unless they have to go on the road the 1st 2). IT only makes sense to christen the stadium with a beatdown (er ... matchup) with their biggest rival.

Best bet is someone like the cowboys to get the East Coast to want to pay attention to the little seahawks out in Alaska.

Brahn

Reaction score
Week #1 Home Opener: Thursday Night Game: Cowboys

Week #2 Away: Sunday Night Game of the Week : Niners Levi Home Opener

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2djuyugt said:
I've said FudgePackers or Cowpatties all along and I'm sticking to it.
If I had to bet a $100 that's the 2 options I'd bet on.

seabowl

Reaction score
seahawks51usc":12tx82ak said:
Hearing the Seahawks will play the Niners on opening Thursday night. Not sure how accurate this info is but TIFWIW.

You don't bring much cred with 6 total posts.

minormillikin

Reaction score
"Good matchups" are wasted on week one. Everyone's out of sync and generally playing like rusted garbage.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":3k0ambva said:
seahawks51usc":3k0ambva said:
Hearing the Seahawks will play the Niners on opening Thursday night. Not sure how accurate this info is but TIFWIW.

You don't bring much cred with 6 total posts.

Oh no you didn't! Post count zinger!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1e5rwm8l said:
I hope we have more nationally televised games to open eyes out there. So many people still think Seattle was a fluke. I want their eyes to be blinded by numerous Harvin returns. I want their hearts to deflate when RW proves his play making over and over again. I want the nation to see that our defense can crush opponents but that our offense can obliterate them as well. I hope we drop 50 burgers and Marshawn still begs "Can we score some more?".

If destroying the "greatest offense in the history of the NFL" didn't debunk the fluke myth, no amount of nationally televised games will.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Perfundle":1lrppohe said:
volsunghawk":1lrppohe said:

That's a matchup that's going to draw tons of viewers. Why waste it on the kickoff game, which is already going to draw tons of viewers? That game is better off as a marquee game in mid-season.

Aren't all of these games marquee games? The NFL has been "wasting" these games on the kickoff game for years. On a historical basis, it very well does make sense. And the Green Bay game is almost as anticipated as the San Francisco game. By your theory, it should be used on a game like the New York Giants game.

They're not divisional games except for the Giants game. They feature teams that at the time were considered potential contenders. But none of those could be considered the best rivalry going at the time they were played. SF/Seattle currently is, and it's not even close.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
rightbench":33omg6qx said:
I'm betting that the Seahawks will play the 9ers in SF to open their new stadium (week 2 unless they have to go on the road the 1st 2). IT only makes sense to christen the stadium with a beatdown (er ... matchup) with their biggest rival.

Best bet is someone like the cowboys to get the East Coast to want to pay attention to the little seahawks out in Alaska.

Eh.. don't agree with that. I actually think the Niners will open it up on MNF as the second leg of the doubleheader. They play the Chargers at home this year so that caters to two west-coast teams playing in the 10:30 PM ET kickoff too.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Niners can't play on monday or Thursday nights until they fix their transit problems.

Perfundle

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3hgo5sc5 said:
Perfundle":3hgo5sc5 said:
volsunghawk":3hgo5sc5 said:

They're not divisional games except for the Giants game. They feature teams that at the time were considered potential contenders. But none of those could be considered the best rivalry going at the time they were played. SF/Seattle currently is, and it's not even close.
That's really the only historical reason not to have it. It's certainly not because they've been avoiding wasting a great matchup for the opening game.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The NFL is all about money. However, they also understand that the biggest way to get ridiculous amounts of money like they have been is to get tons of fans all around the country loving the product as a whole. Yes, they realize Sea-SF will draw tons of viewers no matter when it happens. They also know that tons of fans outside of those two respective fan bases would love to see SF @ Sea to open the season, as well. It may seem illogical on the surface from a strict dollars and sense point of view, but trust me, I can guarantee that they have at least strongly considered SF @ Sea to open with. It'd be investing in more fan love, so to speak. The NFL is smart enough to be in it for the long haul.