NFL power rankings

FPD

Reaction score
Rankings are so subjective. I take most of them with a grain of salt. And this is one of them. Especially after only 4 games.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sprhawk73":1junbu2j said:
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-week-5-bills-are-the-real-deal

Steelers 3-0 on bye and bills are ranked ahead of the Seahawks. Nice
Legacy team.

That’s why I say the only power ranking that matters is the one after the last game of the year where 1 team is hoisting the shiny silver trophy in the air.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
IIRC, the Hawks were/are #2 behind only the Chiefs in ESPN's rankings.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Any time 50% of your games are decided basically as last play of the game decisions there will be deductions to confidence in your standing. Chiefs won the SB last year so they get a lot of carryover kudo pts for that. It isn't often you see a preseason poll ranking that doesn't have last year's champ as the fave to repeat.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I watched his show yesterday on NFL Network...Basically he says he can't trust our defense yet, and is the sole basis of having us 6. Which I get in a sense, but with Russell Wilson showing extraterrestrial DNA this season I wouldn't have the Seahawks any lower than #2 behind the Chiefs right now, period.

1) Chiefs
2) Seahawks
3) Packers

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Appyhawk":g8j8a4fi said:
Any time 50% of your games are decided basically as last play of the game decisions there will be deductions to confidence in your standing. Chiefs won the SB last year so they get a lot of carryover kudo pts for that. It isn't often you see a preseason poll ranking that doesn't have last year's champ as the fave to repeat.

The Chiefs have allowed 20, 20, 20, and 10 points in the first four games this season (17.5 PPG allowed) while still scoring almost 30 PPG. If you're trying to make an argument here that Seattle is better than them, I very strongly disagree on defense alone until something changes. Not only did they win the Super Bowl, but they are playing a complete game on both sides of the ball.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Chiefs are clearly the best team in football imo. They are actually playing Defense, to go along with a video game offense and a ridiculous QB.

RCATES

Reaction score
Most of Joe Public isn't convinced on this team yet because of the terrible defense. Hopefully Wilson plays better Sunday.

Own The West

Reaction score
Steelers are 3-0 and have given up the 2nd fewest points in the league! ...against the 0-4 Giants, 1*-3 Broncos, and 0-4 Texans. :roll:

* according to NFL rules, a victory against the Jets still counts as a full win.

I think the NFL ranking formula is (power ranking * market size) / degrees longitude W

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This isn't college football.

All that matters is what we do in the playoffs, which is more a function of matchups.

However, a lot of writers have been burned repeatedly picking the Seahawks as a dark-horse SB option for years now. We were actually favorites a few years. It makes sense they are skeptical.

Since the SB loss, Carroll has not beaten a single playoff caliber team of note, but for wildcard teams. We got picked as favorites and received high power rankings only to be glorified wildcard teams for years. Some of the Seahawk fans are still skeptical with this defense - can you blame the media?

It shouldn't be that big a deal. Sure we put up points on Dallas. But so did the Browns. Do you really doubt Wilson couldn't put up more if we needed it though? Unless we revert to PeteBall, Wilson always gives us a chance to win.

But the Vikings, Bills, and Rams games will determine where this team really falls in power rankings.

Can we beat Green Bay or Tampa in the playoffs? I don't think anyone knows.

But I can't blame pundits for holding back on the rankings when have fallen short in the playoffs for quite some time. Even with a HOF quality QB.

CPHawk

Reaction score
bmorepunk":13ykvstk said:
Appyhawk":13ykvstk said:

The Chiefs have allowed 20, 20, 20, and 10 points in the first four games this season (17.5 PPG allowed) while still scoring almost 30 PPG. If you're trying to make an argument here that Seattle is better than them, I very strongly disagree on defense alone until something changes. Not only did they win the Super Bowl, but they are playing a complete game on both sides of the ball.

The Chiefs also allowed a rookie, with zero practice, who didn't expect to start. To throw for over 300 yards, and take them to OT.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Own The West":kummr9ln said:
Steelers are 3-0 and have given up the 2nd fewest points in the league! ...against the 0-4 Giants, 1*-3 Broncos, and 0-4 Texans. :roll:

That's generally how that works. You give up less points to teams with crappier offenses.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Here's the rankings that matter.

Screenshot from 2020 10 07 13 13 52