Nice Win, But...

sutz

Reaction score
I just look back to our early days and our hated rivals the Raiders, who's motto was "Just win, baby." I remember how I hated them for their last minute wins. Now it's us doing it.

The standings sheet doesn't have asterisks for "almost" games or "+" marks for style points. W, L, or T. That's all that really matters in the end because that's what they count. The stats don't matter much either. Historically, passing leaders and rushing leaders, etc don't win that many Super Bowls.

:229031_shrug:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I expected doom and gloom after another WIN. And judging from many of the posts, the site didn't fail to show a bunch of fans who are unhappy. Yet AGAIN, after a big win. Because winning has to look a certain way :?
All we heard last week was how Russ was gonna' get blasted etc.
Well, they had ZERO sacks, and he was hit maybe 3 times the entire game.
Washington has 40 sacks...…….After yesterday, so do the Seahawks.
We have seen them let a team back in, only to make plays at the end and WIN. Is it annoying? Absolutely, but they Won, nothing else matters. Yet ANOTHER double digit win season, yet ANOTHER playoff birth. Yeah, winning all the time and making the playoffs over and over again really sucks. NWBS indeed.
And yes, I was pissed off in the 4th quarter, like anyone else. But, this is gonna' be another tough week for the doom and gloomers. What an absolute waste of energy.

10-4
1st Place
#3 seed

A tad different than 5-5, Fire Pete and John, Russ sucks

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Aros":2qnuykvd said:
Welshers":2qnuykvd said:
Aros, you are killing it as always. Some of the Legion of Gloom is of course here even after wins. But I'm glad we have positive people like you to be realistic about things. You're so right about the Patriots analogy. There were so many plays that could have gone against them in many of their SB runs (tuck rule, Chiefs offsides, Seahawks at 1, Atlanta taking a sack and getting a holding call at the end of 28-3 game). You could say they could have lost and got lucky in all those games, but they didn't lose they won. We won. Thanks for your post

Thanks man, I think it needs to be underscored that this could apply to the 85 Bears, the 00 Ravens, the 2013 Seahawks, on and on and on...Seriously, I challenge anyone to go back and look at every single game of those team's seasons and tell me they couldn't have lost games they won. It's a ridiculous notion and it honestly makes me cringe every time someone brings up "well if this or that happened we could have lost." Ugh. THAT COULD APPLY TO ALMOST EVERY GAME IN NFL HISTORY!!!

Someone somewhere once said, “sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.” Either way, I’ll take a win.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The "Two high safeties, OH MY GOD THERE'S NOTHING WE CAN DO!!!" reaction is ludicrously inept and getting really old to see play out on the field. It'll probably be what spells our doom in the playoffs this year, but I'd love to be wrong.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I said we'd win 17-10 last week, so I wasn't far off as to how this game would go.

Other than thinking we should have gone for it on 4th and 1 on the 50, I'm fine with the gameplan, especially coming out and doing what most of us thought we needed to do.......which was pound the rock, run right at their front four and go with a quick pass game.

2nd half? Sloppy on the offense's part, left the defense out on the field too long wearing them out.

Good win..................but I still have no idea about this team. I can see us making some noise in the playoffs, and I can see us getting bounced in the first round.

Not really establishing an identity doing one thing really well to hang my hat on going into the playoffs.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Aros":3iklp1ql said:
Tokadub":3iklp1ql said:
They were literally 1 or 2 plays away from winning this game, so while I do agree with what you're saying in general... I think this game was very close and we could of lost very easily.

See, here's the problem I have with that. You could argue that logic about nearly ANY game EVER played in the NFL. Other than the obvious blowouts, any game in the NFL can come down to 2 or 3 plays either way. I wonder, if you were to go back and look at every single game of each of the 6 seasons the Patriots won the Super Bowl, you could say "Well, the Patriots got lucky because if this or that happened, they might have lost."

It's weak sauce. Not saying that to you directly, just the general notion that somehow it matters how we won. It really doesn't matter why or how we won. Just that we won. There's no style points in this league. The how and why you win or lose is just for fans and analysts to noodle over. In the end, all that matters are W's and L's.

Of course we could have lost very easily. Of course we could have won very easily. So what? WE WON.

It's all that matters and because of that fact, we are 10-4 and currently 1 game away from winning our division.

No I agree, it's a lame argument if your team wins. I 100% agree with you...

I guess the point I failed to make last night and what occurred to me re-watching the game this morning is that we didn't score for the final 27 minutes of the game. Not even a field goal.

Even if we made 1 more field goal and they didn't miss a field goal, if they had scored on their final drive they would of beat us 24-23.

So while I agree getting the win is all that matters, and if you ask more then that it's not realistic in the NFL... but at the same time we went 27 minutes without a score...

I haven't heard any media yet today, or any of the post here up till this response so maybe that's been pointed out just the amount of time we couldn't score in the 2nd half. I think that's the main issue to be a little worried but I didn't figure that out in my posts last night.