Niner fans have no right complaining about calls

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seanhawk":xcugbnad said:
lucky49":xcugbnad said:
MidwestHawker":xcugbnad said:
I have never seen a Niner fan publicly apologize for their undeserved 1998 win against the Indianapolis Colts, not to mention the ridiculous roughing the passer that they were gifted in 2001 against the New Orleans Saints that enabled a win when the game was otherwise over, so I agree that they shouldn't complain.

And that's not even getting into their ridiculous final play against the Giants in the wildcard game at the end of the '02-'03 season!

Needless to say they've gotten their key share of gifts over the years.

2012_Packers_Seahawks_Final_Play.png

Yep, great photo showing that M.D. Jennings STILL doesn't have possession with two feet on the ground.

bingo!
it's amazing to me how many "football fans" and "football media" don't know the requirements for possession.
I guess it's easier to parrot what some a$$clown talking head says on TV then to learn the rules of possession.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Referee Ed Hochuli explains the roughing the passer call:

On the roughing the passer call:

“I felt that he hit the quarterback in the chest with the hairline (of the helmet), and that’s a foul unless he has his face completely up and would hit it face-on with the facemask. It’s a foul, and that’s why I called it.”

Was it the one that hit him with his face mask?

“I felt that he hit him with the hairline. The facemask, after you hit, the facemask comes up. But, the first thing that hit was the hairline of the helmet.”

On hitting with the crown of the helmet …

“If you hit the quarterback, yes, but I’m differentiating between the crown. The crown is the top of the helmet. The hairline is up at the top of the forehead. That is a still a foul when you hit the quarterback with that part of your head.”

On the defensive player’s claim that he hit with the facemask …

“What happens is that you hit, here, and the next thing that happens is your head slides up. That’s just the mechanics of the body. But, that’s not what the initial contact is.”

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... d-hochuli/

I don't agree with him. I think the contact with the "hairline" of the helmet was incidental and that the player did a good job keeping his head up while he drove through to make the tackle. In the rules, it requires a "lowering of the head" and I didn't see that.

OFFICIAL NFL PLAYING RULES 75:
"This rule does not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or non-crown parts of the helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on a passer."

rss.0.0.gif

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
lucky49":qxsi81mu said:
MidwestHawker":qxsi81mu said:
I have never seen a Niner fan publicly apologize for their undeserved 1998 win against the Indianapolis Colts, not to mention the ridiculous roughing the passer that they were gifted in 2001 against the New Orleans Saints that enabled a win when the game was otherwise over, so I agree that they shouldn't complain.

And that's not even getting into their ridiculous final play against the Giants in the wildcard game at the end of the '02-'03 season!

Needless to say they've gotten their key share of gifts over the years.

2012_Packers_Seahawks_Final_Play.png

Thanks for showing the greatest one handed catch in NFL history. But that can't be why you posted it. Rather, it's probably because you think Tate should have been called for offensive PI. While I can't deny that Tate shoved the defender in the back, on a Hail Mary at the end of reguation it is the culture of the NFL to not call PI on those throws. Somebody went back and showed that dozens of contact has occurred during Hail Mary attempts at the end of halves or games and never was PI called.

So yeah we got away with contact but Tate still has to make that amazing catch and hold onto it all the way down to the ground establishing contact first. He outmuscled 3 defenders and still made the catch. That is why the touchdown counted and why the NFL said nothing and hasn't changed their rules over it.

:49ersmall:

:0190l:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2xd18nmj said:
It was a crap call, no doubt about it. I can see why the flag was thrown, because live, I thought the defender lead with the helmet. On replay, it was pretty obvious it was a bad call, and should have been picked up.

One bad call a game, though? Hell, that's below average. And it didn't affect the outcome of the game at all.

It is impossible to tell whether or not it would have affected the outcome of the game. Being down by one score vs. two affects the play calling. For example, do you think the Niners would have gone for it on 4th and one at midfield if they were down by just 6 points instead of 10? Conventional wisdom would have dictated that they punt and pin us back inside the 10 instead of going for it when they were two scores down.

But I do agree that the way that game was going and the way our defense was playing that 6 points would have stood up just as well as 10. The penalty was given way too much importance by the announcers. It was critical but it did not give the Niners the win like they were implying.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":3moqkjub said:
Seahawk Sailor":3moqkjub said:
It was a crap call, no doubt about it. I can see why the flag was thrown, because live, I thought the defender lead with the helmet. On replay, it was pretty obvious it was a bad call, and should have been picked up.

One bad call a game, though? Hell, that's below average. And it didn't affect the outcome of the game at all.

It is impossible to tell whether or not it would have affected the outcome of the game. Being down by one score vs. two affects the play calling. For example, do you think the Niners would have gone for it on 4th and one at midfield if they were down by just 6 points instead of 10? Conventional wisdom would have dictated that they punt and pin us back inside the 10 instead of going for it in a two possession game.

But I do agree that the way that game was going and the way our defense was playing that 6 points would have stood up just as well as 10. The penalty was given way too much importance by the announcers. It was critical but it did not give the Niners the win like they were implying.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
They have every right to bitch about that call. We all would be doing the same. Having said that I would also add that most teams have bad calls go against them in many games every season. They also have some calls go in their favor that shouldn't. It's part of the ebb and flow of the season. It's easy to focus on them when only looking at individual games but when you look at them in the context of a season they should appear more balanced.

RiverDog

Reaction score
SeaWolv":w7b45ezs said:
They have every right to bitch about that call. We all would be doing the same. Having said that I would also add that most teams have bad calls go against them in many games every season. They also have some calls go in their favor that shouldn't. It's part of the ebb and flow of the season. It's easy to focus on them when only looking at individual games but when you look at them in the context of a season they should appear more balanced.

How many of you remember Earl Thomas getting called for roughing the passer back in 2012 vs. Miami and Ryan Tannehill? To me, the call against the Niners was almost an identical situation. It was a B.S. call when it went against us and a B.S. call when we were the beneficiary.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
seahawksny":1mu1j6b7 said:
I didnt agree with the roughing the passer call on wilson, and I'd probably be upset too if it were the opposite.

However, what I saw today is what I've seen the last 4 years in Santa clara and that is they are awarded 30-45 yards a game in non unsportsmanlike conduct calls against their coach
in baseball, a manager is thrown from game arguing to the point that harbaugh does

In basketball, technicals before eventual ejection occur at when coaches blow their top the way he does.

Why doesn't the same apply for football? No other coach is given the special treatment he gets

What don't you agree with? The 49er defender, Moody, led with the crown of his helmet. It was an easy call for the ref and would be called 9 out of 10 times. The rules explicitly state that one can't lead with their helmet on an unprotected player. He did it. It was a good call per the current rules. If a Seahawk player had done it similarly and was penalized, then it was the right call by the ref in that situation too.

Threedee

Reaction score
I hope the Lions beat the Packers week 17 on a Stafford-to-Tate Hail Mary, followed by Tate taunting and inciting a brawl (plus establishing himself as the most hated player in GB ever).

FnkyCold

Reaction score
Niners have been screwed on calls a lot this year. They have a legitimate bitch there. Doesn't change the fact that they've played awful for weeks and are completely irrelevant for the rest of the season. Hawks get bad calls all the time. It doesn't break us.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
I remember a couple of those total BS "protecting the QB" penalties going against us not too long ago, might have been Bennett both times where he got called for a love tap on the helmet on the way by the QB and another where he grabbed the QB's ankles after being dragged down by the defender... they make these calls all the time now, sorry Whiners, I'd have been pissed if it would have been on a Hawk too, but it is what it is in today's NFL.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
253hawk":kucgo29p said:
It might be a lame penalty, but it's still a penalty and was called correctly within the letter of the rule.

RULE 12, SECTION 2, ARTICLE 9(c)(1)
(c) In covering the passer position, Referees will be particularly alert to fouls in which defenders impermissibly use the helmet and/or facemask to hit the passer, or use hands, arms, or other parts of the body to hit the passer forcibly in the head or neck area (see also the other unnecessary roughness rules covering these subjects). A defensive player must not use his helmet against a passer who is in a defenseless posture—for example, (1) forcibly hitting the passer’s head or neck area with the helmet or facemask, *even if the initial contact of the defender’s helmet or facemask is lower than the passer’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the passer by encircling or grasping him** ; or (2) lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/hairline parts of the helmet against any part of the passer’s body. This rule does not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or non-crown parts of the helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on a passer.*

No. No it wasn't.

253hawk

Reaction score
Yeah. Yeah it was. But agree to disagree, or whatever helps you sleep at night.

It's a rare call, but it does happen from time to time. If it was all facemask, no problem. But it wasn't.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Slo-mo the broadcast angle, not the replay. He flexes his neck "lowers his head" 2 frames before the hit and comes very close to leaving his feet. The initial impact is with the hairline of his helmet, not his facemask. This is the closest view to the angle that Hochuli had on the play. His post-game description of what he saw is exactly what I saw when I went back to look at it during the commercial break after the call.

From the replay angle, you can't see the penalty at all and it looks like a clean play.

What do you want to bet it is a topic of conversation during the game next week?

-bsd

WendellWent

Reaction score
253hawk":1ro5z3qo said:
Yeah. Yeah it was. But agree to disagree, or whatever helps you sleep at night.

It's a rare call, but it does happen from time to time. If it was all facemask, no problem. But it wasn't.

THe NFL officially disagrees with you.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawksny":kammycop said:
Why doesn't the same apply for football? No other coach is given the special treatment he gets

It's like any other pro sports, you're allowed to complain all you want, as long as you don't cross the line or use some of the big no no words.

Like managers in baseball, they're allowed to run out to the mound and scream all they want as long as they don't question certain rules like balls and strikes, touch the ump or use profanity. The same goes for NFL head coaches.

If Skip Kelly didn't get kicked out two weeks ago, it ain't NEVER gonna happen.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Had ZERO to do with the outcome of the game, period.
Plenty of bad calls go both ways, in every game. Suck it up buttercup