Niners Draft Picks 2018

SF49r

Reaction score
Candlestick was always packed even in the pre-Harbaugh dark ages but after the move to Levis and the firing of Harbaugh, fans just lost interest and they stopped buying tickets. Jimmy G is gonna sell tickets though definitely

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":30n8qbqi said:
It makes no sense though, with the history of that team and 5 rings etc. You would think they could pack the house at all times.

Not really.

Remember all the shots of the Clink emptying out by the end of the 3rd quarter against the Rams this year? And that was after two Super Bowl appearances in the last four years, and eleven playoff appearances in the last fifteen years.

A lot of fans are fickle as heck dude.

After Brady and Belichick retire pats games are gonna go back to being empty. The same is gonna happen to the Warriors too.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SF49r":vka6uzpd said:
Candlestick was always packed even in the pre-Harbaugh dark ages

Definitely not the way I remember it. A full stadium cheering on Tim Rattay? No way, man.

If Marv had season tickets back then he could make the best comparison to Levi's though (I don't live in the bay anymore and still haven't been)

SF49r

Reaction score
I've been to a handful of games between 2002-2010 they all seemed packed to me. Marvin would probably know better than me since he's a season ticket holder.

chris98251

Reaction score
SF49r":21nxoo4u said:
I've been to a handful of games between 2002-2010 they all seemed packed to me. Marvin would probably know better than me since he's a season ticket holder.

Well you have to look at other then Seahawks games :)

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
Popeyejones":10jgkajw said:
SoulfishHawk":10jgkajw said:
It makes no sense though, with the history of that team and 5 rings etc. You would think they could pack the house at all times.

Not really.

Remember all the shots of the Clink emptying out by the end of the 3rd quarter against the Rams this year? And that was after two Super Bowl appearances in the last four years, and eleven playoff appearances in the last fifteen years.

A lot of fans are fickle as heck dude.

After Brady and Belichick retire pats games are gonna go back to being empty. The same is gonna happen to the Warriors too.

Wasn't there a game at the Clink last year where the fans walked out because the thought the games was too far gone, then when the Hawks started coming back they all wanted back in? I remeber the pics of all the fans trying to get back in but were locked out.

It can and does happen to all teams, they all have fair weather fans. Just look at the influx of "12s" since 2012

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wrong, Hawks have been packing the house for years, win or lose. You are probably thinking of the NFC Championship. SOME fans left, but the media made it sound like thousands, it wasn't even close to that. Santa Clara has a half empty stadium every time you see them on TV.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I am a season ticket holder now but I wasn't at Candlestick. I did go to several games though...at least one or 2 a year.

I'd say there was a bigger crowd at Candlestick, but one of the biggest reasons for that is that because the building was so ancient and run down it was one of the cheaper tickets in the NFL.

They would run plans to like take 4 people to 2 games in a year with a free hot dog and soda for 20 bucks apiece.

That doesn't exist at Levis.

Higher price point, smaller crowd particularly when the team started to suck.

In fairness, the section of the crowd that most often gets caught on TV is a club section (between the 20's) on the visitor side of the stadium...in the sun. Early in the year that sun can be blistering. Since those people have club seats, they also have access to the air conditioned club that sits behind the section.

Now I'm not going to make the case that its actually a packed house and everyone is escaping the sun, but there is a lot of that particularly when the game starts and after halftime.

I'll also say this...late in the season this year with games vs the Titans and Jags....that place had a lot more heads in it and was louder than I've ever heard it before.

I've been sayin' this for a long time. There are a lot of peeps out here who can't stand Levis and love to talk about the good old days at the 'stick.

Ya know what. I loved the 'stick, but lets be real for a sec. Physically, the place was a hole. It smelled like urine and was NEVER a nice NFL stadium. NEVER.

What made it so special were the memories in that building. 5 Lombardis, countless playoff games...etc, etc. What was cool is the old girl got a few more big games and moments in her final few years (Niners-Saints playoff game, Niners-Packers Playoff game, Final game ever at the 'stick with Navarro Bowmans "Pick at the 'Stick").

What Levis needs is its own history. If they get a winner there and have a few huge moments in that building, Levis will be much better thought of and the crowds will return. Jimmy G is a BIG step in the right direction.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I went to a couple Hawks games out at the Stick. It certainly was a hole, kind of cold etc. But I still enjoyed the atmosphere overall. Funniest thing was when my wife says "They play HERE? That doesn't make sense, don't they have a bunch of rings?"
She makes a good point.
As far as Levi goes, how far from Candlestick is it, 30-45 minutes? Is it in a decent location, or middle of nowhere?
I do hear a lot of complaints about the sun beating down as well.
Hoping make a trip out there again, plus San Fran is one hell of a great city.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1z7ziq7o said:
I went to a couple Hawks games out at the Stick. It certainly was a hole, kind of cold etc. But I still enjoyed the atmosphere overall. Funniest thing was when my wife says "They play HERE? That doesn't make sense, don't they have a bunch of rings?"
She makes a good point.
As far as Levi goes, how far from Candlestick is it, 30-45 minutes? Is it in a decent location, or middle of nowhere?

It depends on who you ask in terms of location.

If you ask people not too familiar with the Bay Area they'd lead you to believe its in the middle of nowhere. Thats incorrect.

Levis stadium sits in the middle of Silicon Valley. Santa Clara neighbors San Jose which is bigger in both size and population than SF. In fact, Santa Clara and San Jose are in Santa Clara County. This wasn't a case of the team looking for a location in the middle of nowhere. They were looking for a location near all the money. Apple, Intel, AMD, Cisco, EBay, Google, and hundreds more....all have campuses within a few short miles. They have also had their headquarters in SC for 2 or 3 decades. They built the stadium in a parking lot next to their existing HQ.

As I write this message, I'm sitting at work 1.3 miles away from Levis and can see it out the window (I'm on the 6th floor).

Now the South Bay doesn't have the same recognition of SF. Few places do. Its a storied American City (that I rarely visit because I hate to drive there...lol). However, anyone who tells you that Levis is in the middle of nowhere doesn't have the first clue what they are talking about.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":211j9qpw said:
Wrong, Hawks have been packing the house for years, win or lose. You are probably thinking of the NFC Championship. SOME fans left, but the media made it sound like thousands, it wasn't even close to that. Santa Clara has a half empty stadium every time you see them on TV.

Nah, as I recall it was the Rams game at the Clink this year. By the 4th quarter the most packed places in the stadium were the aisles as people were scrambling to leave. IIRC it was enough for the announcers to even comment on it while the cameras cut to it.

Hawks fans are the best and most loyal and so on and so on, I know, but my point is just that EVERY fanbase expands when a team is good, and retracts when a team is bad. ;) :2thumbs:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":nvz2zy6b said:
SoulfishHawk":nvz2zy6b said:
She makes a good point.

It depends on who you ask in terms of location.

If you ask people not too familiar with the Bay Area they'd lead you to believe its in the middle of nowhere. Thats incorrect.

Levis stadium sits in the middle of Silicon Valley. Santa Clara neighbors San Jose which is bigger in both size and population than SF. In fact, Santa Clara and San Jose are in Santa Clara County. This wasn't a case of the team looking for a location in the middle of nowhere. They were looking for a location near all the money. Apple, Intel, AMD, Cisco, EBay, Google, and hundreds more....all have campuses within a few short miles. They have also had their headquarters in SC for 2 or 3 decades. They built the stadium in a parking lot next to their existing HQ.

As I write this message, I'm sitting at work 1.3 miles away from Levis and can see it out the window (I'm on the 6th floor).

Now the South Bay doesn't have the same recognition of SF. Few places do. Its a storied American City (that I rarely visit because I hate to drive there...lol). However, anyone who tells you that Levis is in the middle of nowhere doesn't have the first clue what they are talking about.

Yeah, really good point. Just because of how much recognition different places get I think people not from the Bay Area seriously don't realize where people actually live.

You hear about San Francisco all the time so you think there's got to be a ton of people there, but there just isn't.

The 9ers draw fans from San Francisco (850K) the East Bay (2.5 million), the South Bay (3 million and where they now are), and the North Bay (750K).

They're basically now closer to 3 million people who make up their fanbase, the same distance from 2.5 million people, and farther away from 1.6 million.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I was there, I get it. Many people left early for the Rams game. But there is no comparison to how empty a Niners game is, the entire game.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3glse6a0 said:
But there is no comparison to how empty a Niners game is, the entire game.

Very unsure where I said there was. I think you might be arguing with a ghost.

My only point is that the force of every fan base is tied to hope.

As for no comparisons, there's tons of ways to do it:

1) There's no comparison to how empty and quiet Levi's was when the team was toward the end of a 9 game losing streak to how loud and packed it was toward the end of a 6 game win streak.

2) There's no comparison to how empty and quiet the Clink was at the end of the Hawks being blown out by the Rams to how packed and loud it was at the end of the Hawks blowing out the 9ers back when that mattered.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. They have had an empty stadium for years. Especially come 2nd half of a game when it's literally not even 40 percent full. And over half of what it left is opposing fans.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2tv432u0 said:
Fair enough. They have had an empty stadium for years. Especially come 2nd half of a game when it's literally not even 40 percent full. And over half of what it left is opposing fans.

Well....

....just imagine....

Seahawks move into brand new building and effectively double or more ticket prices depending on seat location...

Then they go 8-8 in their first season and fire Carroll over arguments with the GM and front office. They then have a revolving door a HC while going 5-11, 2-14, and then were 1-10 through 11 weeks.

Yeah....might just see a dip in attendance. :)

The 49ers last winning season came at Candlestick and ended with the NFC Championship in Seattle. They have been mediocre to bad to awful every year at a higher ticket price point. Not only that, but that had an insane stretch of great players and ticket draws either leaving as free agents (Frank Gore), Retiring (Patrick Willis, Justin Smith), and going bonkers (Aldon Smith, Ray McDonald). I mean seriously...look at that front 7 alone. Willis - Gone. Bowman - Never the same. Aldon - batsh*t nuts. Justin Smith - Gone.

It wasn't just ownership. That team started falling apart before Harbaugh left. Thats why they went 8-8 in his last year.

49er fans want so badly to come back and to have something to cheer for...they just hadn't seen anything in the history of Levis until one Jimmy Garoppolo.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2sw87uo6 said:
Yeah, that was a hell of a trade for you guys. He looks like the real deal for sure.

Sure hope so. Love what I've seen so far and the hype train is in full gear, but we'll see what happens.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":q41wvflj said:
SoulfishHawk":q41wvflj said:
Yeah, that was a hell of a trade for you guys. He looks like the real deal for sure.

Sure hope so. Love what I've seen so far and the hype train is in full gear, but we'll see what happens.

Out of curiosity, and because I'm a pessimist, how would you rank order (from most to least worried) the following four JGQ worries:

1) Inability to work out a long-term deal.
2) Injury (either due to fragility or hot garbage interior line play)
3) Deep passes outside the hashes aren't a small sample size thing, they're a player ability thing, and if true and that gets figured out, overage on middle depth passes within the hashes is going to tighten up more and more.
4) The Favre Effect (i.e. over-trusting of the arm and long-term interception issues)

For me I'd probably go #2, #3, #4, #1.

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
When I went to the game on the first of the year a couple seasons back, it was a decent atmosphere. I stayed in Sunnyvale looking for the link to the WOPR. Never found it. Easy access to both rail systems to SF and to Santa Clara. Got on the Rail to the game at a stop called Lockheed Martin. 5 to 20 mins ride. Wandered into a hotel that had a bar set up and a restaurant set up. The access to the stadium was actually pretty dang good. Leaving it was actually not too bad either. Rails were in and ready to roll within 20 mins of the end of the game. That game had a lot of out of towners at it...even Seahawks fans. They handed out free pizza coupons to some of the rows and the fans for the most part were cordial. It is all in how you approach the game and how you handle yourself. Me and Riverdog were gentlemen.

BTW I was at the motel 6 north in sunnyvale...as opposed to across the street at South...LOL. Next door there was a brewhouse and it was open on New Years eve but closed on New Years day when I got back to the room. Dennys was across the street and there were a couple of other convenience stores nearby.

Remember this tho...for ME, a mile walk is nothing...so 2 miles to a rail system is not too bad for me either. 2 miles to a game and back depends upon the area and what I can see as a systematic threat. I saw none of that in Santa Clara.