Niners Draft Picks 2018

original poster

Reaction score
I hope (and believe) the 49ers will be back in 2018.

Who wouldn't want 2 extra competitive games a season?

Leading up to a 49er game the past couple of years was the least exciting week in NFL land for me. I want to be nervous, anxious and excited again!

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3n2li3an said:
Marvin49":3n2li3an said:
SoulfishHawk":3n2li3an said:
Yeah, that was a hell of a trade for you guys. He looks like the real deal for sure.

Sure hope so. Love what I've seen so far and the hype train is in full gear, but we'll see what happens.

Out of curiosity, and because I'm a pessimist, how would you rank order (from most to least worried) the following four JGQ worries:

1) Inability to work out a long-term deal.
2) Injury (either due to fragility or hot garbage interior line play)
3) Deep passes outside the hashes aren't a small sample size thing, they're a player ability thing, and if true and that gets figured out, overage on middle depth passes within the hashes is going to tighten up more and more.
4) The Favre Effect (i.e. over-trusting of the arm and long-term interception issues)

For me I'd probably go #2, #3, #4, #1.

4, 3, 2, 1.

hawk45

Reaction score
Marvin49":not1bnm4 said:
Popeyejones":not1bnm4 said:
Marvin49":not1bnm4 said:
SoulfishHawk":not1bnm4 said:
Yeah, that was a hell of a trade for you guys. He looks like the real deal for sure.

Sure hope so. Love what I've seen so far and the hype train is in full gear, but we'll see what happens.

Out of curiosity, and because I'm a pessimist, how would you rank order (from most to least worried) the following four JGQ worries:

1) Inability to work out a long-term deal.
2) Injury (either due to fragility or hot garbage interior line play)
3) Deep passes outside the hashes aren't a small sample size thing, they're a player ability thing, and if true and that gets figured out, overage on middle depth passes within the hashes is going to tighten up more and more.
4) The Favre Effect (i.e. over-trusting of the arm and long-term interception issues)

For me I'd probably go #2, #3, #4, #1.

4, 3, 2, 1.

Nobody asks me but 2, 3, 4, 1 is pretty close to where I'm at, although after watching the 2017 highlights I bump 3 up to the top spot. Although I could be talked into the notion that who knows what the guy could be with a little better protection. He's already nearly completely negated the need for protection with his quick decisions and underneath passing.

What do you guys think about the YouTube video: "The Film Room Ep. 60: Is Jimmy Garoppolo the Real Deal?"

This guy basically says he's got a stupid quick release, dart accuracy on short passes, and good decision making when he's not Favring out. And that his downfield accuracy can be fixed by correcting some atrocious footwork such as not pivoting lead foot when passing downfield. The one point raised by the reviewer is being puzzled at how a guy who sat behind Brady for years could still have such a crazy footwork flaw, but who knows. Still seems eminently fixable.

I'm pretty interested in Garappolo because you can see a lot of Brady in his short game, and not "really trying hard to see Brady in his short game" but "jeez that is really good decision-making, accuracy, and release". As the reviewer says, if he can bring his downfield accuracy up then that takes "good" - which is where he is now - to "great."

All caveats apply here: sometimes QBs have world-beater first seasons or stretches then get figured out, sometimes they just never match that performance for other reasons, etc. etc.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^^^ :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I thought the film room ep was great, and far and away the best in-depth breakdown of his game I've seen so far.

His footwork is one of those funny things (that kinda makes sense) in that he's crazily good at throwing off balance, while rolling left or right and while moving backwards to minimize a hit, but then he has problems wit his lower body on the clean throws from clean pockets (not all of them -- it's more inconsistent than consistently problematic).

Overall, yeah though, I think his flaws appear to be fixable (which doesn't mean they WILL be fixed of course), but like you, I'm pretty high on him, while also acknowledging that we just haven't seen that much of him yet (i.e. look at what Nick Foles did in 2013 or Josh Freeman did in 2010 before assuming even a full season of really good play is sustainable in the long term).

hawk45

Reaction score
Hijack alert, but as we talk about one-hit wonders, I'm interested in your take on the Nick Foles 2018 post-season experience. I see 3 possibilities:

1) He had the game of his life against Minnesota. He's been playing relatively solid ball and hasn't hurt his team too much, but he doesn't have another game like that in him.

2) He is having the post-season of his life, ala Joe Flacco. He may have another surprisingly good game v the Pats, but he'll be the same backup-level player next season he has been the last few years.

3) He has turned the corner and we can now expect 300 yard performances against elite defenses.

I'm in camp 1, but that one great first season he had gives me just a touch of doubt. I do realize that first season his breakout was of a much different flavor i.e. he was in a Chip Kelly offense, and that doesn't necessarily say much about playing in a non-Chip-Kelly offense.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawk45":2ht3hx0a said:
Hijack alert, but as we talk about one-hit wonders, I'm interested in your take on the Nick Foles 2018 post-season experience. I see 3 possibilities:

1) He had the game of his life against Minnesota. He's been playing relatively solid ball and hasn't hurt his team too much, but he doesn't have another game like that in him.

2) He is having the post-season of his life, ala Joe Flacco. He may have another surprisingly good game v the Pats, but he'll be the same backup-level player next season he has been the last few years.

3) He has turned the corner and we can now expect 300 yard performances against elite defenses.

I'm in camp 1, but that one great first season he had gives me just a touch of doubt. I do realize that first season his breakout was of a much different flavor i.e. he was in a Chip Kelly offense, and that doesn't necessarily say much about playing in a non-Chip-Kelly offense.

The fact is he went to the QB graveyard after the Eagles, Fisher is a QB killer, he may just be in a offense with a coach that adapts and calls plays that fit his skill set much like Shurmer did in Minnesota with Bradford and Keenum, it's where many OC's get to much credit when they get a players or players that fit the system rather then adapt the system to fit a player. Why so many go someplace else and fail. You could make that argument for Bevell, had Peterson and then Lynch along with Farve and then Wilson, lose a piece of that equation and all of a sudden it isn't pretty anymore.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawk45":2xuux4ds said:

I’m going #1.

That Chip Kelly season I mostly discount just because it was Kelly’s first year in the league, and it was really nuts that year to watch how unprepared the NFL was for his offense.That a year and some change later he was basically an add on for both sides in the Bradford trade tells us how anomalous even Kelly thought his ‘13 was.

I don’t think he’s awful or anything, but in the long run I think his ceiling is as a premium backup who might get lucky and get a chance to be the guy on a bad team with a rookie in the wings (think Glennon with the Bears this year). His floor is an average enough backup QB, which still isn’t that bad (think 3-4 APY as a #2 vs. 6-8 APY as a #2).