Niners Give Patriots 2nd Rd for Garoppolo

Fade

Reaction score
Going to the 49ers normally would make me think he would auto-fail, them being the Cleveland Browns west in all.

But...Kyle Shanahan is an amazing offensive mind so Garoppolo will probably be good.

Value wise it is a no brainer. They can test the waters this season with him, if still unsure about him, franchise him, then get another year to evaluate him. If he flounders no big deal. The Niners still would then have high 1st round picks in 2018 & 2019 to get a franchise QB.

I give the 49ers an A+ for this trade. Low risk, with extremely high reward potential.

The opposite of the Sam Bradford trade that was made last year that people were praising. Which of course was high risk, low reward, and they had to burn a 1st rounder for Sam freaking Bradford.

The Patriots get a C because all they did was tread water value wise. They spent a 2nd rounder to draft and develop a guy, only to get a... 2nd rounder? The point is to flip the guy for lots of picks, or to develop him to become the next franchise guy. The Patriots accomplished neither. This also makes them potentially vulnerable in the not to distant future with Brady being 40 years old.

They could have structured Garoppolo's contract creatively to keep him on board, but they are all in on 40 yr old Brady it seems.

chris98251

Reaction score
Or the guy that was on the Colts they had before when Luck comes back................... :icon_jig:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm not as high on Garoppolo as many here. Being inserted temporarily into the well-oiled machine that is the New England Patriots and becoming the starter for the current San Francisco 49ers...two very different things.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I'm not as high on Garopolo either. Could do well, but I don't see it... yet. And a second rounder is pretty high, even for the 49ers, even if it is an important position. They could have drafted a quarterback with that pick and had the same risk as they do with Garopolo.

That said, if Brady goes down, the Patriots are screwed. Or Kaep suddenly finds gainful employment... 8)

NINEster

Reaction score
November 26th suddenly becomes interesting again....

chris98251

Reaction score
Well Richardson, Freeney Bennett, Clark all love a good statue to do Sack Drills on.

adeltaY

Reaction score
NINEster":3q9pj2tz said:
November 26th suddenly becomes interesting again....

Uhhh didn't Joe Staley just suffer an orbital fracture? Has Trent Brown recovered from his concussion? Isn't Foster hurt again? Your team is talent deprived and injured. It's honestly really bad luck for Shanahan and the fans IMO. Garoppolo is gonna have a tough time with that supporting cast, though he should be worlds better than Hoyer and Beathard.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Cyrus12":11co6yar said:
sdog1981":11co6yar said:
Looks like Kirk Cousins is staying in DC.

Browns will give him 30 mill a year

If Jacksonville is smart, then they won't let Cousins leave when he visits during free agency.

Cousins to Jax would have to make them an AFC favorite next season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's amazing to me after all the coordinator and players, especially QB's that have left NE and failed miserably, that the rest of the league still has beer goggles for their players and coaches.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
nanomoz":1tjtlfcf said:
Over\under on him being better than Matt Cassell?
The only thing they have in common is they both backed up Brady. This narrative is idiotic. I guess Brett Favre sucked because he backed up Chris Miller but so did Billy Joe Tolliver...

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2v33ej32 said:
It's amazing to me after all the coordinator and players, especially QB's that have left NE and failed miserably, that the rest of the league still has beer goggles for their players and coaches.

It's amazing to me that instead of watching tape, including college tape, people just come to the conclusion that Garoppolo will suck because some guy who threw to Randy Moss and Wes Welker in their primes only went to one pro bowl outside of New England. As if there is the slightest causal connection between the two players, and as if actual film doesn't matter at all.

Exittium

Reaction score
whats the status of Staley? without him gropahoe or whatever is going to be just as bad as their prior qb

adeltaY

Reaction score
To be fair, Garoppolo has thrown something like 94 passes in regular season NFL action. So we can't really say he's good or bad close to definitively yet. I think we can predict that he won't look as good as he did in limited action for NE due to the supporting cast being much worse in SF, at least initially.