Niners Give Patriots 2nd Rd for Garoppolo

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":e1d9bpyu said:
nanomoz":e1d9bpyu said:
Over\under on him being better than Matt Cassell?
The only thing they have in common is they both backed up Brady. This narrative is idiotic. I guess Brett Favre sucked because he backed up Chris Miller but so did Billy Joe Tolliver...
Idiotic? Grap has barely played in this league, so it is a legit question. Don't get "Niners smug" on us just yet!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3j86egyy said:
Sgt. Largent":3j86egyy said:
It's amazing to me after all the coordinator and players, especially QB's that have left NE and failed miserably, that the rest of the league still has beer goggles for their players and coaches.

It's amazing to me that instead of watching tape, including college tape, people just come to the conclusion that Garoppolo will suck because some guy who threw to Randy Moss and Wes Welker in their primes only went to one pro bowl outside of New England. As if there is the slightest causal connection between the two players, and as if actual film doesn't matter at all.

GM's and coaches watched tape on Matt Cassel didn't they? Didn't they watch tape on Jacoby Brissett? He's about the go down as the losingest Colts QB of all time.

Ryan Mallet? Bryan Hoyer? You already know how much he stinks.

So yeah, I got some bad news for you Rings, out of all the franchises in the league, the Patriots are a SYSTEM franchise. As in without Belicheat and Brady, they draft and acquire average players and plug them into the greatest system of schemes, formations and playcalling in the history of the NFL.

So..............I wouldn't pin my hopes on yet another Patriot backup coming in to SF and doing anything other than do what Patriot backup QB's do once they leave, stink.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
No longer all alone in New England's quarterback room, Tom Brady is reuniting with an old friend.

Former 49ers signal-caller Brian Hoyer signed with the New England Patriots on Wednesday, the team announced. It's a three-year deal with the team, a source informed of the contract told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Tom Pelissero. The move brings the journeyman back to the franchise he first played for from 2009 to 2011.

Hoyer was cut by the Niners after San Francisco acquired Jimmy Garoppolo from the Patriots on Monday in exchange for a 2018 second-round pick. That swap was originally scheduled to send Hoyer to New England, but he was yanked from the deal due to compensatory pick issues, Rapoport was told.

The Patriots weren't the only ones interested in Hoyer -- the Green Bay Packers also were interested in potentially signing him, according to Rapoport.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... m=referral

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":3ghgvcw6 said:
5_Golden_Rings":3ghgvcw6 said:
nanomoz":3ghgvcw6 said:
Over\under on him being better than Matt Cassell?
The only thing they have in common is they both backed up Brady. This narrative is idiotic. I guess Brett Favre sucked because he backed up Chris Miller but so did Billy Joe Tolliver...
Idiotic? Grap has barely played in this league, so it is a legit question. Don't get "Niners smug" on us just yet!

I am attacking the logic itself, which is poor.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1hyq8175 said:
5_Golden_Rings":1hyq8175 said:
Sgt. Largent":1hyq8175 said:
It's amazing to me after all the coordinator and players, especially QB's that have left NE and failed miserably, that the rest of the league still has beer goggles for their players and coaches.

It's amazing to me that instead of watching tape, including college tape, people just come to the conclusion that Garoppolo will suck because some guy who threw to Randy Moss and Wes Welker in their primes only went to one pro bowl outside of New England. As if there is the slightest causal connection between the two players, and as if actual film doesn't matter at all.

GM's and coaches watched tape on Matt Cassel didn't they? Didn't they watch tape on Jacoby Brissett? He's about the go down as the losingest Colts QB of all time.

Ryan Mallet? Bryan Hoyer? You already know how much he stinks.

So yeah, I got some bad news for you Rings, out of all the franchises in the league, the Patriots are a SYSTEM franchise. As in without Belicheat and Brady, they draft and acquire average players and plug them into the greatest system of schemes, formations and playcalling in the history of the NFL.

So..............I wouldn't pin my hopes on yet another Patriot backup coming in to SF and doing anything other than do what Patriot backup QB's do once they leave, stink.

You really believe that? Lol. Way to totally ignore the specific details.

So Seymour, who went to two Pro Bowls after NE, did he suck?

Asante Samuel, who went to three Pro bowls, did he suck?

Now let's look at the qbs. Only ONE actually ever had any significant playing time, so your argument is based on a sample size of ONE.

But DID he drop off of a cliff after leaving New England? HIS BEST SEASON OF HIS CAREER WAS IN KANSAS CITY, not New England. More, his New England passer rating in 2008 was only 89.4... and that is throwing to Moss and Welker in their prime.

Your argument is completely contradicted by the facts. Not only was Cassell NOT GOOD in New England, he actually GOT BETTER for a bit in Kansas City, in terms of statistical output.

Mallet? Hoyer? How many games did they play? You have a sample size of ONE dude, and that data point contradicts your argument.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Basically you're just regurgitating a popular narrative which adds to the mystique of Belichick, when in reality Cassell was mediocre at best in 2008 despite having all time great weapons around him.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Yeah and Cassel has been a train wreck since. One good season in KC and a couple decent ones and after he left he was horrific in Dallas and painful to watch in TEN.

If that's your Garoppolo comparison then the future looks bleak. I'm sure Jimmy G is much better, but again, fewer than 100 pass attempts in meaningful action so we don't know.

toffee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1uim9h8k said:
Probably a good move for both teams.
Low risk for the Niners that had 2 second rounders.
If Garop is crap not a whole lot lost, as the ever underachieving Cousins will still be out there in FA and they have tons of cap room.

this

Can't dispute that Garoppolo looked good in TWO games that he started, but that's TWO games and before DCs studied him, game planned against him. In those two games, he also had good surround cast, very good OC, and in an fantastic system.

9ers should play him as soon as possible and as much as possible. Let's see how he can make players around him better, how he elevate the results. Dump him he ain't any better than Hoyer and go sign Cousin or draft a QB.

Garoppolo is real cocky and may be over confident in not demanding a long term deal now.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
So let me get this straight...

Instead of trading Graphole for Hoyer + lower pick, Niners release Hoyer and NE picks him up? And then they give Hoyer the rest of his $2M signing bonus?

He goes to bed 0-8 and wakes up 6-2.

Hilarious.

SF49r

Reaction score
I remember this guy getting alot of hype from the 2014 draft, still was a 2nd round draft choice. It feels like were getting a rookie right now except this rookie has 4 years experience on a NFL team,so like any other rookie we don't know how hes going to do as a starter. In the 2 games he started he did seem to play at a high level but it was on New England and they can get anyone to play at a high level. We do have Kyle Shanahan though one of the best offensive minds in today's NFL and this was a guy that Shanahan really wanted so that makes me a bit optimistic hes going to play well. Hes definitely not a Cassel or Hoyer though that's for sure there's a reason why those guys went in the 7th round and undrafted, this guy was a 2nd round pick so hes obviously talented.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SF49r":1lw8x2fv said:
I remember this guy getting alot of hype from the 2014 draft, still was a 2nd round draft choice. It feels like were getting a rookie right now except this rookie has 4 years experience on a NFL team,so like any other rookie we don't know how hes going to do as a starter. In the 2 games he started he did seem to play at a high level but it was on New England and they can get anyone to play at a high level. We do have Kyle Shanahan though one of the best offensive minds in today's NFL and this was a guy that Shanahan really wanted so that makes me a bit optimistic hes going to play well. Hes definitely not a Cassel or Hoyer though that's for sure there's a reason why those guys went in the 7th round and undrafted, this guy was a 2nd round pick so hes obviously talented.
All true, but Johnny Football was a first round pick.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Niner fans better hope Garappolo is the guy, because right now, C. J. Beathard has more pro experience.

The Iowa rookie has now thrown more career passes than new teammate Jimmy Garoppolo, a stat that shouldn't last long. New England's surprise offer to the 49ers could not have come at a better time, because Beathard was not ready for NFL action in four outings where even his short passes were often off the mark.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000870774/article/midseason-qb-index-tom-brady-carson-wentz-wow

Marvin49

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2wrr8kbw said:

Instead of trading Graphole for Hoyer + lower pick, Niners release Hoyer and NE picks him up? And then they give Hoyer the rest of his $2M signing bonus?

Hilarious.

Hilarious....and not accurate.

Would have been the same pick regardless. They didn't send a higher pick because Hoyer wasn't in the trade. Only reason NE didn't take Hoyer in trade was the $$$$.

NE wanted lower $$$$ price.

Everyone KNEW Hoyer was likely going back to NE. It wasn't a surprise. That was the plan.

To me this looks a lot like Montana/Young - Favre/Rodgers if SF or GB had made the opposite choice. Would Young or Rodgers have been a stud in another offense? I have no clue. Thats no guarantee surely that Garoppolo will be anything at all, but I think he's worth a bit of excitement as a possible franchise QB. Of course tho, no guarantees.

As for comparisons to Cassel, Brissett, Mallett.....to me its a different situation. None of those guys were ever viewed as a heir apparent to Brady. That doesn't mean he'll be great, but Cassel didn't start a single game in college. Brissett was interesting but was never thought to be the guy after the guy. Mallett was a head case from the start.

Garoppolo is a different animal. People can dismiss all they want about him being "another backup NE QB" all they want and dismiss it, but IMO this is a different animal. He was a 2nd rounder to start. He was a highly productive 4 year starter in college. He was LOVED in NE.

I can't wait to see him play and I think he fits the offense perfectly. Every draft able QB is a crap shoot and this guy actually has some NFL exp. Win-Win to me considering its only a high 2 and not that 1st rounder. Now they can do whatever they want with that 1st rounder.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":12v9dwum said:

To be clear, the exact quote was "I can't guarantee he doesn't play this week and I can't guarantee he'll play this year".

He'll be active as the backup this weekend.

I think the media is making much more out of that comment than was intended, but to be honest if he doesn't play at all I'd be fine with it. I doubt thats what will happen though.

NINEster

Reaction score
Marvin49":8faxc613 said:
CHawkTailGator":8faxc613 said:

Hilarious.

Hilarious....and not accurate.

Would have been the same pick regardless. They didn't send a higher pick because Hoyer wasn't in the trade. Only reason NE didn't take Hoyer in trade was the $$$$.

NE wanted lower $$$$ price.

Everyone KNEW Hoyer was likely going back to NE. It wasn't a surprise. That was the plan.

To me this looks a lot like Montana/Young - Favre/Rodgers if SF or GB had made the opposite choice. Would Young or Rodgers have been a stud in another offense? I have no clue. Thats no guarantee surely that Garoppolo will be anything at all, but I think he's worth a bit of excitement as a possible franchise QB. Of course tho, no guarantees.

As for comparisons to Cassel, Brissett, Mallett.....to me its a different situation. None of those guys were ever viewed as a heir apparent to Brady. That doesn't mean he'll be great, but Cassel didn't start a single game in college. Brissett was interesting but was never thought to be the guy after the guy. Mallett was a head case from the start.

Garoppolo is a different animal. People can dismiss all they want about him being "another backup NE QB" all they want and dismiss it, but IMO this is a different animal. He was a 2nd rounder to start. He was a highly productive 4 year starter in college. He was LOVED in NE.

I can't wait to see him play and I think he fits the offense perfectly. Every draft able QB is a crap shoot and this guy actually has some NFL exp. Win-Win to me considering its only a high 2 and not that 1st rounder. Now they can do whatever they want with that 1st rounder.

Love how hard people put Marvin to work defending a very good QB.

"He's only a 2nd round QB....coulda got a first rounder next year"....

All of this from a fanbase with a 5'6" guy from the 3rd round.

Funny.

From limited action in 2 games, the Jimmy G eye test already looks very good.

The only question I have in my mind with Garoppolo is how many games will it take for him to better than Wilson. Probably 1 - 1.5 season's worth for the actual playing ability, and another season perhaps for the production. Can't match up immediately without the horses.

Shouldn't take too long based on how fast Kap overtook Wilson with a half season head start of game experience, and only an extra season of practice experience.

Maulbert

Reaction score
NINEster":1ogepomm said:
Love how hard people put Marvin to work defending a very good QB.

"He's only a 2nd round QB....coulda got a first rounder next year"....

All of this from a fanbase with a 5'6" guy from the 3rd round.

Funny.

From limited action in 2 games, the Jimmy G eye test already looks very good.

The only question I have in my mind with Garoppolo is how many games will it take for him to better than Wilson. Probably 1 - 1.5 season's worth for the actual playing ability, and another season perhaps for the production. Can't match up immediately without the horses.

Shouldn't take too long based on how fast Kap overtook Wilson with a half season head start of game experience, and only an extra season of practice experience.

What a homer. Kaepernick was never better than Wilson by any metric. Keep believing your little delusions. If Kaepernick was so good, why isn't he still in Santa Clara? 4-20 in his last 24 starts. Just keep believing Janeane Garofolo is going to save your team. It's the only miserable hope you'll have as your team slides to another top 3 pick. Only an idiot would legitimately suggest he'll be better than Wilson based on a 2 game sample size.