Niners vs Cowboys

Laloosh

Reaction score
Laloosh":3sbjdics said:
Melencause":3sbjdics said:
Laloosh":3sbjdics said:
Plenty of us weren't impressed and said so. In short, you embellished and rather than say that you misspoke, decided to argue a point that you knew to be inaccurate.

Gotcha.
Deleted for attacking poster

I used the term loosely... The way I used it is that you "stuffed" your foot into your mouth and then continued talking like it wasn't there.

Fixed that for whoever deleted his post. Made it look like mine was deleted.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Forgot that I was going to mention something from the rushing stats on Dallas's side in that game yesterday. Dallas was averaging nearly 6.5 YPC on first down that entire game and chose to run it on 2nd down only six times (averaged 4.33 on 2nd down).

They were 2/2 running and converting on 3rd and 4th down.

What the hell were they thinking?!

Link to all rushing plays here.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Playoffs included, the 49ers were held scoreless in the second half of a game only twice last year.

...They do that in week one against arguably the worst defense in the league this year, and it's no cause for concern for the 49ers offense? :roll:

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2or9p7y1 said:
Playoffs included, the 49ers were held scoreless in the second half of a game only twice last year.

...They do that in week one against arguably the worst defense in the league this year, and it's no cause for concern for the 49ers offense? :roll:

Nope.

Why?

I watched the FIRST half.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":sz7l2s02 said:
Nope.

Why?

Yeah, that 187 yards of total offense in the first half against the worst defense in the league when they also kept giving you the ball back was really impressive.

SF49r

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3he07y7p said:
Marvin49":3he07y7p said:
Nope.

Why?

Yeah, that 187 yards of total offense in the first half against the worst defense in the league when they also kept giving you the ball back was really impressive.
Somebody looks at the stat sheets too much and not the actual game...

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":kusnm4oh said:
Marvin49":kusnm4oh said:
Nope.

Why?

They had the ball 4 times.

They scored TDs 3 times.

They had a drive stall ONCE. On that drive they drove from the their 20 to the 32 of Dallas and were sidetracked by 2 holds (Vernon and Staley) and a sack. At one point it was 3rd and 30.

Scoring drives were of 80, 2 , and 64 yards.

Kap had a QB rating of 125.5. Gore played OK and Hyde looked great.

Sooooo yeah. Not concerned. You can be concerned if you choose to be, but I'm really not.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SF49r":1e5lmqvb said:
Good one, but no.

Err, wait. Let me praise your offense for that amazing touchdown drive that started on the Dallas two-yard line from Reid's interception return. That fumble recovery TD by your defense also looks great for your offense's stat sheet. I TAKE IT ALL BACK, I WAS MOST IMPRESSED BY YOUR OFFENSE AGAINST DALLAS!

SF49r

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":18euaflr said:
SF49r":18euaflr said:
Good one, but no.

Err, wait. Let me praise your offense for that amazing touchdown drive that started on the Dallas two-yard line from Reid's interception return. That fumble recovery TD by your defense also looks great for your offense's stat sheet. I TAKE IT ALL BACK, I WAS MOST IMPRESSED BY YOUR OFFENSE AGAINST DALLAS!
How about there 80 yard scoring drive and there 64 yard scoring drive? Was that all the defense too?

Marvin49

Reaction score
SF49r":1uelf2q4 said:
RolandDeschain":1uelf2q4 said:
SF49r":1uelf2q4 said:
Good one, but no.

How about there 80 yard scoring drive and there 64 yard scoring drive? Was that all the defense too?

Niners had the ball 3 times in their own territory and scored TDs twice. They were driving on the third before they got hit with penalties.

I know the "Tony Romo was the best SF player that day" is the popular theme, but one of this INTs was in the endzone so Niners got it at the 20 and another was effectively a punt deep down the field.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SF49r":1g5t7ilp said:
Nope, but seriously, that would be a nice little claim against OUR defense, not Dallas's.

We'll see what happens with the 49ers offense in coming weeks.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1aivahan said:
SF49r":1aivahan said:
Nope, but seriously, that would be a nice little claim against OUR defense, not Dallas's.

Yes we will.

Niners did what they were supposed to do. They soundly beat an inferior opponent.

Why does the goalpost keep moving tho. Its always "They were unimpressive" or "I'd be concerned" and then when we say they scored on all but one possession in the first half its always "that's nice but Dallas sucks".

Really? Well of course they do. That wasn't the point you were making. You were saying we should be concerned. Why should we be if they did what that were supposed to do to a team that sucks?

SF49r

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2t68zf2k said:
SF49r":2t68zf2k said:

Yeah we'll see, it's hard to judge based on the first game of the season. Especially against one of the worst defenses out there.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin, when evaluating a team, how they got to the end result is a lot more important than what the end result was itself.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1z9c21hv said:
Marvin, when evaluating a team, how they got to the end result is a lot more important than what the end result was itself.

....right.

....and they scored TDs on all but one possession in the first half.

Dallas sucks. Niners drove the ball every time they had it in first half. I'm not concerned.

Believe what you want to believe. Read your statsheet and make of it what you will. I know what I saw and I'm not concerned.

If there is anything I AM concerned about its the absence of Bowman and Aldon. Not concerned at all with the offense. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities somehow.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
You're both accusing me of simply reading the stat sheet. I watched the game and that's what I'm basing it on.

Assume it's simple-minded bias on my part all you want; it clearly makes you feel better.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1bkgn5zk said:
You're both accusing me of simply reading the stat sheet. I watched the game and that's what I'm basing it on.

Assume it's simple-minded bias on my part all you want; it clearly makes you feel better.

To be clear...I don't view you as simple minded. Not close. :D

I just assumed you'd only looked at the statsheet because I can't imagine how someone could watch the first half and think "hrmm..If I were a Niner fan I'd be concerned about that offense".

Call me crazy.

Defense? That I could understand...but the offense? Really not concerned at all.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Well, I didn't say anything about the defense, and it's certainly not above reproach. (What unit is for any team, really?)

I'm curious to see what the 49ers offense does in the next couple of games, though. It's a more intriguing aspect of your team for me at present, and I can't even rightly say why.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Hey Marvin,

Do you give them a lot of credit for the two yard drive?

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2m3fouiv said:
Well, I didn't say anything about the defense, and it's certainly not above reproach. (What unit is for any team, really?)

I'm curious to see what the 49ers offense does in the next couple of games, though. It's a more intriguing aspect of your team for me at present, and I can't even rightly say why.

I can...because I feel the same way.

This offense has the POTENTIAL (a word that's gotten a lot of coaches fired) to be incredible. Great players at every position. I know it's in vogue to rip on Kap, but if he starts getting through his progressions (and he did it a few times on sunday) he's got some dangerous weapons all over the field and a couple running backs to boot. Man...those back to back throws in the first drive...wow. On the first, Crab was his first read but Crab was freakin tackled by the DB when he got beat. Kap stepped up, found Boldin and fired a rocket with a LB in his face for a 37 yard gain. The next play was the scramble and TD to Vernon.

Hyde is really shocking me. I thought he'd be good, but he is just soooo much quicker and lighter on his feet than I'd expected.