Niners whine about officiating

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I still can't believe Boldin was dumb enough to open his mouth about the officials costing you guys two games, considering that head butt of his.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2c5ihwt5 said:
I still can't believe Boldin was dumb enough to open his mouth about the officials costing you guys two games, considering that head butt of his.

Can't argue much with that. Some of those calls were really bad and he was getting shoved around a bit....

...but he's been riding that fine line for a long time now. It was only a matter of time before he got hit with one of those. Not smart.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Yeah, Boldin's been doing that exact same thing for forever. Totally impossible to sympathize with him getting called for it given that he's always getting away with it and shouldn't be.

Same story with Stevie Johnson spinning the ball after receptions all game against the Cards. When he eventually gets flagged for it he'll have nobody but himself to blame.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3r4ddh2x said:
Yeah, Boldin's been doing that exact same thing for forever. Totally impossible to sympathize with him getting called for it given that he's always getting away with it and shouldn't be.

Same story with Stevie Johnson spinning the ball after receptions all game against the Cards. When he eventually gets flagged for it he'll have nobody but himself to blame.

Noticed that. Happened in the giants / skins game too. Guess it's not a point of emphasis this year.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Was it Tate who after doing it a lot finally got called for it last year?

I thnk it's just one of those irregularly called penalties (e.g. a ref will call it to make a point if he thinks the game is getting out of control, or it will be called if a player is warned about it and then dumb enough to do it again, etc.).

Whatever it is, Johnson is idiot for it, and should cut it out. I'm hoping the coaching staff said something to him about it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3nltopsq said:

I thnk it's just one of those irregularly called penalties (e.g. a ref will call it to make a point if he thinks the game is getting out of control, or it will be called if a player is warned about it and then dumb enough to do it again, etc.).

Whatever it is, Johnson is idiot for it, and should cut it out. I'm hoping the coaching staff said something to him about it.
I think it was Sidney Rice.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":123awqd4 said:
Popeyejones":123awqd4 said:

I think it was Sidney Rice.

Definitely Rice. Always did it after a first down.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ah, okay. Thanks.

Remembered someone on the Hawks getting called for it last year, and just assumed it was probably Tate b/c that kinda seems like a Tate thing to do. :lol:

(no knock on Golden, I love the guy as a player).

Marvin49

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":360xnydc said:
Marvin49":360xnydc said:
B.S.

Do you really think that the 49ers made such a stink that THEY are the ones that got the rules changed? And peeps say I'M delusional.

That's not what I said and you know it. Anything to play the little game, but I see through your crap.

If I say, "The red bus lost control and smashed into a parked car, and the car rolled down the hill and hit Joe."

You would come back with "THE RED BUS DID NOT HIT JOE, YOU ARE FULL OF BS, THE ACCIDENT REPORT SAID THE CAR RAN OVER JOE."

It's what you do every freaking time. It makes me laugh.

I said: the 49ers STARTED the bitch fest, they started the narrative that everyone else picked up, because it's a copycat society - because people are raised as such lemmings today it's the only thing they know - just repeat the same crap someone else already said.

But the "reason" the rules actually got changed was because the NFL's golden boy got smashed in the Superbowl, and everyone had to make an excuse for him. The whole BS holding call bit was the excuse they went to.

First off...I have no idea what you are even talking about in the first part.

Second...I have no idea why you think it started with the Niners. The 49ers are NOT the only team who played Seattle. Lots of complaints all over the league.

253hawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":21zqggm2 said:
hawknation2014":21zqggm2 said:

I always wondered about that hit on Willson....the guy who hit him in the head wouldn't have hit him in the head had Willson's body not been contorted by the other guy who hit him first....so really it's not the guy's fault that he wound up hitting his head. I don't think that should be a penalty, IMO, because there's no way for the defender to completely change how he's going to hit Willson.

It doesn't matter; leaving your feet/launching like that is illegal. Especially with zero attempt to wrap up.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
253hawk":32np4dj8 said:
fenderbender123":32np4dj8 said:
hawknation2014":32np4dj8 said:

I always wondered about that hit on Willson....the guy who hit him in the head wouldn't have hit him in the head had Willson's body not been contorted by the other guy who hit him first....so really it's not the guy's fault that he wound up hitting his head. I don't think that should be a penalty, IMO, because there's no way for the defender to completely change how he's going to hit Willson.

It doesn't matter; leaving your feet/launching like that is illegal. Especially with zero attempt to wrap up.

Yup, under the rules intent is irrelevant when it comes to head/neck contact against a defenseless player.

Maulbert

Reaction score
fenderbender123":54fdlewj said:
hawknation2014":54fdlewj said:

You're right. It looks to me like he would have hit Willson helmet to helmet if he wasn't going down. The penalty would have been even more blatant.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/515589317909938176[/tweet]
The 49ers lead the league with 36 accepted penalties through three games. Officials are calling an average of 13.7 penalties a game, an increase from last season. Ed Hochuli, whose crew averages 19.5 penalties a game, is refereeing Sunday's contest between the 49ers and Eagles.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/26/673890 ... rylink=cpy

ringless

Reaction score
On the hits to Stanton, at game speed and live they looked illegal... They dont have the benefit of watching frame by frame to make a judgement, judgement calls happen all the time... When I first saw it I thought.. Illegal hit, upon replay I could see they were legal, but they were so borderline it just would've been to hard to tell at gamespeed when you have to lean towards safety.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Haven't posted in this thread on this particular play yet, but here are my thoughts:

Pereira said it was a bad call. The announcers said it was a bad call. I trust them more than I trust any number of 9ers fans or Hawks fans. That said, it's a close call, and the officials are going to err on the side of making this call almost all the time. It's a close call at what happened to be an inopportune time for the 49ers. That's it. So what. It happens. There would be people complaining about that call either way.

What gets lost in the story of this call is that the additional 15 yard call on Willis on the next call wasn't nearly as questionable. That was just flat out a bad call.

So, you've got a close call and a bad call that in 18 seconds of game time pushed the Cardinals from their 38 yard line to the 9ers 25 yard line on their only real scoring drive of the second half, that also ended up being the deciding scoring drive of the game. That sucks for the 49ers, but so what? Bad calls happen. They tend to even out.

IMO as far as complaining about them (as well as complaining about people complaining about them ;) ) my basic thoughts are blargh blargh blargh blargh. Crap happens. Whatever. :)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ringless":cyvj5jon said:
On the hits to Stanton, at game speed and live they looked illegal... They dont have the benefit of watching frame by frame to make a judgement, judgement calls happen all the time... When I first saw it I thought.. Illegal hit, upon replay I could see they were legal, but they were so borderline it just would've been to hard to tell at gamespeed when you have to lean towards safety.

Agreed. The same thing happened with the announcers. It's probably a bad call with the benefit of hindsight, but it's a close one, and a type of call defenders are rarely going to get the benefit of the doubt on. In a perfect world that probably doesn't get called, but it's hard to get too upset about it.

From where I sit the 9ers have also been shooting themselves in the foot enough without any help from the refs to get too worked up about the refs missing a very close one, and maybe even really missing another one (the Willis hit right after).

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Wow ..I missed this party..The hit on the qb was rightfully flagged...He started his slide before the niner guy lowered himself..Flag all day...Marvin is at his best in here..You can see why his post count is high..I don't know how you do it man but you are relentless lol... :thirishdrinkers:

Latest posts