No. 168, the #Seahawks have selected Jamarco Jones

xgeoff

Reaction score
Chapow":2oc36qde said:
Own The West":2oc36qde said:
From NFL site: "I thought his tape was average myself. You like him more than I do. His Combine was awful. He athletic testing was reject level. It's hard to trust a tackle to start if he has reject level testing." -- NFC Executive

And yet, he did well as the starting LT at one of the premier college programs in the country. :229031_shrug:

Jamarco Jones blocked some of the best pass rushers in college football the past two years and handled his business game after game as Ohio State's left tackle.

Jones is an interesting test case of film vs. testing numbers. Teams will have to figure out how he managed to look so good on the field without having great athletic traits according to the workouts.

In the end, that debate should land Jones somewhere in the second or third round as the fourth straight Ohio State left tackle to be drafted.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/04/ja ... 018_w.html

Exactly what I was thinking. Measurables are interesting and should be a factor. But ultimately, it's about your play on the field. If you're successful at against elite talent, the same level of talent you'll face at the next level, then you need to throw those measurables out the door.

sdog1981

Reaction score
This pick also says that the team feels the left side of the line is pretty much set. Brown-Po-Sich-Britt. Leading to a Fluker-GI-Jones battle for RG RT

chris98251

Reaction score
If he brings it on the field and loves playing football then the numbers at combine can be taken as he doesn't like to be in display as a lab rat maybe. The league is full of O lineman that were bad grades but heart can't be measured at the combine and desire. We didn't sell the farm or waste a pick with this kid like Moffitt. at least he will be a rotational guy and back up. Best when Brown contract is due he has learned enough to step in and play a long time for us.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
So a project that could play RT possibly LT that seems about right for pick 168 your certainly not going to get a polished technician with great physical and athletic ability. Potential starting RT if all goes well in a year or two is my guess if not then a competent back up guard tackle.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Fade":wfxiy310 said:
I agree as well it is an anti cable pick.

They are done taking raw projects. Even if this guy doesn't workout this philosophical change is noteworthy,
iu

I agree there's more to football than combine drills that's been proven over and over. He checks the box physically and that's always the first box I want checked.

Seafan

Reaction score
In a draft that was very weak at OT and OG it was wise of the Hawks not to waste their best capital on one of those. With Brown, Fant, Rees, Ifedi and Battle returning with Pocic also a possible fit at OT it didn't make a lot of sense to spend early. Jones may have been nursing an injury at the combine or he may just be PS material.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Is the vertical a good measure of power or leg strength or something? If not, I could care less about how high a potential o-lineman can jump when thinking of what he needs to do in a game.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":143jg6e3 said:
Is the vertical a good measure of power or leg strength or something? If not, I could care less about how high a potential o-lineman can jump when thinking of what he needs to do in a game.

Broad jump is a better measure.

Jones has a much better broad jump than Odhiambo. On tape, he also looks a little more explosive.

AgentDib

Reaction score
They comment on Jamarco Jones in the day 3 presser.

He will compete initially at LT.

After the combine, Jones worked out with a group that the Hawks know, and in talking to them they felt good that Jones has better athleticism than he showed in Indy. They feel everybody can have off days.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
AgentDib":1u23bv1m said:
They comment on Jamarco Jones in the day 3 presser.

He will compete initially at LT.

After the combine, Jones worked out with a group that the Hawks know, and in talking to them they felt good that Jones has better athleticism than he showed in Indy. They feel everybody can have off days.

He's definitely slow looking on tape. Hence, the Odhiambo comparison.

mrblitz

Reaction score
he looks great on this tape here. reminds me of breno in his play style.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It would be a huge improvement to have an offensive lineman that can actually slow down a pass rusher no matter what he looks like doing it.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
This guy could be really good. He can hold his ground/balance pretty well.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
When games are won and lost by combine numbers and test metrics, I'll care about his combine and testing. As long as games are still played on the field, give me a guy who can play on the field.

The Seahawks aren't outthinking themselves. This is a good pick.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I'd really like to see him win the job at RT . I'm not at all sold on Pocic and Ifedi should be playing guard.

olyfan63

Reaction score
chris98251":3kptvs2z said:
If he brings it on the field and loves playing football then the numbers at combine can be taken as he doesn't like to be in display as a lab rat maybe. The league is full of O lineman that were bad grades but heart can't be measured at the combine and desire. We didn't sell the farm or waste a pick with this kid like Moffitt. at least he will be a rotational guy and back up. Best when Brown contract is due he has learned enough to step in and play a long time for us.

After watching Jamarco Jones tape, that's what I'm thinking/hoping. The Lab Rat syndrome, and/or just tests bad because his heart isn't in it, without an actual opponent he is battling. Put an opponent in front of him, a mano-a-mano battle, and suddenly he is fast enough, quick enough, strong enough, and with an innate gift for anticipating opponents actions and understanding of leverage. Crossing my fingers on this one...

Or maybe even some injury he for some reason chose not to disclose.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Seafan":23fepm2m said:
In a draft that was very weak at OT and OG it was wise of the Hawks not to waste their best capital on one of those. With Brown, Fant, Rees, Ifedi and Battle returning with Pocic also a possible fit at OT it didn't make a lot of sense to spend early. Jones may have been nursing an injury at the combine or he may just be PS material.

It was pretty a pretty great draft for OG though, no?

Anyhow, wasn't Pocic the first pick under PCJS where they didn't go for an insanely SPARQy/explosively athletic guy? That didn't work out so well the first year, but I think we're all confident/hopeful Pocic will improve a lot after putting on some muscle like John said he has.

If Jones can be a good depth guy to start off with, it's a win. Not sure what the deal was with his combine, but as others have mentioned, if he can just get it done on the field, it doesn't really matter. Maybe the concern is that he was able to handle rushers in college with his technique but the pros will throw a whole new level of elite athlete at him to block?