No. 168, the #Seahawks have selected Jamarco Jones

original poster

Reaction score
I can just as easily see him as a day 1 starter on the offensive line as I can not even making it onto the 53 man roster.

For the reason, he's my adopted rookie.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Was stoked to see this pick. Not only because he looks like a good player, but so that my friends could stop the 734 messages whining that they "didn't take an O Lineman!" :lol:

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
does anyone know the last time we drafted a straight up guard?

seems like all we draft are tackles and try to convert them to guard/center.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
HawkNuts":1py90m74 said:
does anyone know the last time we drafted a straight up guard?

seems like all we draft are tackles and try to convert them to guard/center.

It's not a bad strategy if implemented correctly. Most college teams put their best linemen at tackle.

Jones doesn't really have the athleticism to play tackle, though LT is the one position they mentioned for Jones during their presser. I think that has more to do with Jones' college experience at LT than it does with finding his best position for the NFL.

chris98251

Reaction score
There is a difference here, Jones is going to start where he is comfortable first and learn the offense, he will play faster, then see what he can do, versus you played LT your whole career but were moving you to Center to see if you can do it and learn it then maybe be a back up at LT.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He is the anti-Cable OL prospect. I love it. RTotF.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
PFF named Jamarco James one of the "Top steals from the 2018 NFL Draft."

Seattle Seahawks, Pick No 168 – Jamarco Jones, OT, Seattle Seahawks
PFF Draft Board ranking: 32
JONES OT draft prospect 1024x576
While he wasn’t particularly dominant in any particular phase of the game, former Ohio State T Jamarco Jones performed at an above average level across the board, making him a high-floor prospect and quite the steal for the Seattle Seahawks in the fifth round.

Allowing just 11 total pressures across 431 pass-blocking snaps, Jones tied for 11th in the draft class in pass-blocking efficiency (98.0) in 2017. He also ranked 35th run-block success percentage (92.1), which should only improve if Seattle’s coaches can correct his technique a bit and help him win the leverage battle at a more consistent rate.

It’s no secret that the Seahawks’ offensive line has received its fair share of lumps in recent years, but Jones, despite his draft status, can help put an end to a team in which ranked 30th in pass-blocking grades as a unit last year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... -nfl-draft

ivotuk

Reaction score
Listening to Rob Staton, and he brought up a Combine comparison between Jamarco Jones, and Andrew Norwell.

Norwell also played at Ohio State, nad played well, but he went undrafted. According to Wikipedia, "Despite his decorated college career, Norwell was considered a borderline NFL prospect because of lingering questions about his athleticism"

His combine is almost identical to Jamarco's

Andrew Jamarco
40 : 5.28 5.5
Verticle 28" 24"
Broad Jump 105" 102"
3-Cone 8.09 8.32
20Yd SS 4.93 4.99

So just because a player has a bad combine, it doesn't mean they can't succeed at the NFL level. Andrew Norwell did.

2017 season

On March 7, 2017, the Panthers placed a second-round tender on Norwell, who was set to be a restricted free agent.[13] On April 17, 2017, Norwell officially signed his tender with the Panthers.

Norwell started all 16 games at left guard, on his to being named first-team All-Pro. He was also ranked as the third best guard in the league according to Pro Football Focus.

Jacksonville Jaguars

On March 15, 2018, Norwell was signed a five-year, $66.5 million contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars with $30 million guaranteed, making him the highest paid guard in the league.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Norwell

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jamarco-j ... 246beb2799

adeltaY

Reaction score
Daaaamn, I knew Norwell was undrafted, but I didn't know why. If Jamarco can be close to as good of a player as Norwell, we got an absolute steal.

toffee

Reaction score
ivotuk":28pzf7s6 said:
Listening to Rob Staton, and he brought up a Combine comparison between Jamarco Jones, and Andrew Norwell.

Norwell also played at Ohio State, nad played well, but he went undrafted. According to Wikipedia, "Despite his decorated college career, Norwell was considered a borderline NFL prospect because of lingering questions about his athleticism"

His combine is almost identical to Jamarco's

Andrew Jamarco
40 : 5.28 5.5
Verticle 28" 24"
Broad Jump 105" 102"
3-Cone 8.09 8.32
20Yd SS 4.93 4.99

So just because a player has a bad combine, it doesn't mean they can't succeed at the NFL level. Andrew Norwell did.

2017 season

On March 7, 2017, the Panthers placed a second-round tender on Norwell, who was set to be a restricted free agent.[13] On April 17, 2017, Norwell officially signed his tender with the Panthers.

Norwell started all 16 games at left guard, on his to being named first-team All-Pro. He was also ranked as the third best guard in the league according to Pro Football Focus.

Jacksonville Jaguars

On March 15, 2018, Norwell was signed a five-year, $66.5 million contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars with $30 million guaranteed, making him the highest paid guard in the league.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Norwell

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jamarco-j ... 246beb2799

Hoping for the best and we need Jamarco to be productive. He is however, shorter lighter and slower than Norwell. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lukerguy

Reaction score
Timing is a very difficult skill to teach at LT. Some guys have it, others don't.

This guy has it- that's why we was able to compete as a top 10 school LT. I think we may have found ourselves a sleeper future starter, and at the very least, an above average LT back up (which we haven't had in years).

original poster

Reaction score
lukerguy":3011i9dd said:
Timing is a very difficult skill to teach at LT. Some guys have it, others don't.

This guy has it- that's why we was able to compete as a top 10 school LT. I think we may have found ourselves a sleeper future starter, and at the very least, an above average LT back up (which we haven't had in years).

Agreed.

If we didn't have Jones on the roster (assuming he doesn't make the starting 5) I'd be a sweating mess if Brown went down. Not anymore.

toffee

Reaction score
lukerguy":11g5egsv said:

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk