No defense has allowed more 3rd and 10+ yard conversions...

Seymour

Reaction score
We had this issue way too often last season as well. I don't have the solution for it, but it is rearing it's ugly head once again this year. It is very frustrating to watch them hold for 2 down then cave in on 3rd again and again. It's not just the corners either, I think it has more to do with scheme personally but haven't really studied the issue.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I think we might overrate Griffin as a fanbase, but he wasn't the problem last week. Maxwell gave up around 115 yards and a TD. Griffin is pretty good as a rookie. Lattimore and White are amazing but they were first rounders for a reason.

Thing is, last year Atlanta lost Trufant to IR and their corners did fine in man. They had Robert Alford, Jalem Collins, and Brian Poole. Our guys are better and more experienced and they haven't been able to hold up. Imagine if Lane was out there....

original poster

Reaction score
Can anyone remember if the Coleman blitz was on 3rd down? Fairly sure it was.

That was an absolute work of art, apprecaite you can't be corner blitzing every 3 down, however.

Getting off the field on 3rd down is going to be critical against the Rams this Sunday, no doubt the coaching staff know this.

IrishNW

Reaction score
keasley45":guxtlo4x said:
This isnt a matter of playing soft. Its a weakness in our defense that has been exploited now for almost 4 years. The Chargers figured it out when River's and Gate's torched us a few years back. The Manning led Broncos found more kinks after we beat them in the SB. And the Pats and Falcons and frankly most teams with competent qb's and a solid gameplan exploit the weaknesses every time they play us. Even at full strength, the defense has trouble stopping the 10-15 yard plays that are designed to find the gaps in our middle zone, and our db's and lb's constantly get caught in a trailing position or get washed out when trying to defend mid crossing routes. Our D, as solid as it is, cant defend certain plays if we don't get a good pass rush. We're solid 90% of the time, but that 10% can be exploited throughout a game if we dont get pressure. Don't know whether to call it a fatal flaw necessarily because if we can get pressure, the QB doesn't have the time for those handful of plays to work. But its been fatal because our D is one that does not adapt. We lineup and play. And unfortunately this year, get beat. Over and over and over again.

very interesting point but if that's the case then why do the Falcons not suffer from this problem? and before you bring up Dan Quin wasn't he the defensive coordinator during that SD game? I think all evidence points towards the players here

edit: i was thinking scheme with my response, but you might have been talking about our scheme and players