No more Red Skins

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
In the interest of political correctness, I am hereby starting the "Ban Use of Saying Beige Gerbils" movement. It is just wrong to refer to the color of anything, and I am absolutely fed up with the gerbil hate I've seen espoused on the Internet and at pet stores around the world. It's time to end the injustice and become a more enlightened people.

Brahn

Reaction score
I once rescued a Black Lab instead of a Yellow Lab. Am I okay since I am White? Or should I turn myself in for being discriminatory?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Brahn":2vqrzud3 said:
I once rescued a Black Lab instead of a Yellow Lab. Am I okay since I am White? Or should I turn myself in for being discriminatory?
You racist son of a gun. How dare you? Who do you think you are? You need to pay restitution to the Yellow Lab Association of America.

pmedic920

Reaction score
If they put one of these on their helmets, can they keep the name?
ajavudym.jpg

Cartire

Reaction score
I understand a lot of your guy's arguments on skin color and it not being an issue saying someone is white or black, so why red.

Question. Someone ask you where something is. Whats an acceptable response?

Next to those black guys.
or
Next to those blackskins.

Feel free to say both are fine. I wont argue with you. I just have never heard it. And I dont think many would like it.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think the issue comes down to whether the language used is derogatory when it comes to determining race. Is the term "redskin" in itself derogatory? I genuinely don't know and thus would cede judgement to the very people who the term redskin applies to. If they themselves have an issue with it then I wouldn't want it to continue.

That said it seems these days that some people do enjoy getting offended on behalf of others.

Cartire

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1e7hbqse said:
I think the issue comes down to whether the language used is derogatory when it comes to determining race. Is the term "redskin" in itself derogatory? I genuinely don't know and thus would cede judgement to the very people who the term redskin applies to. If they themselves have an issue with it then I wouldn't want it to continue.

That said it seems these days that some people do enjoy getting offended on behalf of others.

I keep seeing the argument that Native Americans dont care, and that most the people who care are fighting on their behalf.

[youtube]mR-tbOxlhvE[/youtube]

This commercial was paid by the Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation. They bought air time in 7 major cities in the middle of the NBA Finals. They were sponsored by the NCAI.

Pretty sure those people are allowed to tell us what they think, right? Or are they not a good sample either? Do we really need to go door to door, or can we just accept that as times change, so does our ability to respect others cultures. I honestly dont care either way. It doesnt effect me personally in any form. But I would never call someone a redskin to their face. And I dont think many here would either. So thats got to count for something.

And before you show me polls of 8 out of 10 dont care, or whatever. Dont care. Every side can conjure up polls that reflect there position. Statistics are the easiest thing to manipulate. Lobbyist been doing it for years.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
Yoonhawk":2rcrq3sz said:
JaiSeaSea":2rcrq3sz said:
Unfortunately in this PC world, if one is offended it's too much for some.

I don't agree necessarily but it is what it is. It does however seem, in these cases, that these things actually offend people NOT actually associated with the race in questioned more then those that are.

In re: to black and African American terms, it's funny when you hear people say African American when speaking of a black person not from America... Ignorance in all forms I guess.

The same can be said of those who are complaining about the change and think it's no big deal. Do you think most of them are native American?

A lot of posters in this thread seem perfectly fine with this term. How many of you would feel comfortable calling a native American a "redskin" when addressing that person?

That's a good point. I am actually part native, not much, but I have family that are a higher percentage. They say they aren't offended by this but then again it's not as if this team name is the same as calling people something that is intended to be derogatory. If someone were to say "You damn redskin", I could see them being offended.
In this day and age it's easy for people to be like "oh here we go again" every time someone wants to change something for fear of hurting feelings or demeaning others. In most cases I agree. There is no reason to segregate.

I don't actually care if they change their name but like I stated it doesn't offend me. I can see however how it could offend some, so maybe they should change it.

Subzero717

Reaction score
What is kind of making me wonder is the ones brushing this off as no big deal are also calling for Donald Sterlings head on a platter. That I dont get.

Msfann

Reaction score
I doubt that the name was originally used (as the team name) to be a jab at native Americans and was more so a tribute (at least i hope) but if it bothers people then maybe its time to change it, maybe figure out a better name that really is tribute and turn all this negativity about it into something positive.

If the name is changed they can sell all sorts of new crap with the new name/logo on it.

seedhawk

Reaction score
If for instance, they changed their name to the Washington Warriors, would any of this be happening? Can KC get away with Chiefs simply because it denotes an "important" native American?

Hell, if they did they could keep their same Logo. Visual would stay the same except for the "name" on things.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Msfann":2vvo34qp said:
I doubt that the name was originally used (as the team name) to be a jab at native Americans and was more so a tribute (at least i hope) but if it bothers people then maybe its time to change it, maybe figure out a better name that really is tribute and turn all this negativity about it into something positive.

If the name is changed they can sell all sorts of new crap with the new name/logo on it.
You are probably right but do some research on the original owner.

Latest posts