seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Bobblehead":13mii7u5 said:
I saw it on the first replay.

Question is, it was a scoring play.
Why didn't the league officals see it.. it was very obvious
Why didn't the Lion's reviewer see it?

I'ts not the officials fault, it's why they have reviews after every scoring play.

It's been said over and over and over.

Penalties cannot be reviewed.

Rat

Reaction score
It was a playoff game. They were going to obsess over it regardless of who the participants were.

We got away with one; I don't see the problem with admitting that. Saying we got the good end of an officiating decision isn't tantamount to saying we shouldn't have won the game. No amount of bad officiating was going to help the Lions offset that nightmare run defense and all their WRs suddenly forgetting how to catch.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
seabowl":1vvg8lzj said:
Bobblehead":1vvg8lzj said:

I'ts not the officials fault, it's why they have reviews after every scoring play.

I must be missing something, it wasn't a penalty for one, it was a scoring play that is automatically reviewed.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1k9yae6j said:
seabowl":1k9yae6j said:
Bobblehead":1k9yae6j said:

I must be missing something, it wasn't a penalty for one, it was a scoring play that is automatically reviewed.

So the question was, was it a facemask, right?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Rat":1aooq4vg said:
It was a playoff game. They were going to obsess over it regardless of who the participants were.

We got away with one; I don't see the problem with admitting that. Saying we got the good end of an officiating decision isn't tantamount to saying we shouldn't have won the game. No amount of bad officiating was going to help the Lions offset that nightmare run defense and all their WRs suddenly forgetting how to catch.

In all my years of watching football, I have never seen the announcers go BACK to a play that they didnt notice to point out a missed penalty a good 30 minutes after it happened.

Follow that up with pointing it out over and over and over.

Nothing at all wrong with being annoyed by this, especially when the general idea behind it (Seahawks get the benefit of too many calls) has been repeated over and over throughout the years.

This CAN impact future games, and thus is deserving of comment.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Win or lose, it never fails that Hawk fans complain about a referee conspiracy,media conspiracy, or both against the Hawks.

olyfan63

Reaction score
No, it was not a "facemask" penalty, it was incidental contact from a player being flagrantly interfered with, as a direct result of that flagrant interference; IIRC, the defender stuck his head into PRich's helmet, which could have been called a penalty as well, for helmet-to-helmet hit on a defenseless receiver. The refs were correct to NOT bail out Detroit with a call on PRich's non-penalty-level incidental contact.

It was just NBC drama queens stirring up schkipperke, which is their job, to get fans emotional engaged. No doubt Collinsworth and Co. were given some storylines to hammer on.

It's actually a good thing for the Seahawks to be given the villain part in the storyline. The NFL needs a villain. And what better villain to cast than the Seahawks against "America's Team", the Cowboys.
I do believe the league "influences" games, in assorted ways. It's an entertainment product.

If Seattle is being cast as the villain, the NFL is less likely to "influence" the Atlanta game towards Atlanta, thinking that a game of villains vs. choir boys is a great story line for the NFC championship and TV ratings and Internet click-bait.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3r38a6bk said:
Then there was Paul's 2nd catch- which was a long catch along the sidelines. That was both a PI and a facemask and yet the refs didn't flag either.. Yet the announcers are outraged that they didn't call offensive face mask. Lame.
The so called P-rich face mask issue is a strawman. Name the last time a skill position offensive player that got called for a face mask penalty. It simply doesn't get called at all.

olyfan63

Reaction score
RW92":anoepn05 said:
And how about the catch Richardson had later in the game when he was faced masked by the defender. Michaels and Collinsworth didn't elaborate on that missed call.

Yup. Glaring by omission in comparison.

olyfan63

Reaction score
cymatica":39pm0pgl said:
The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say that national media guys are being told to do this. Look how Collinsworth out of the gate was pushing the narrative. He never noticed the facemask on the td...until 10 minutes later he brings it back up then won't shut up about it. All while flat out ignoring P-Rich getting facemasked on the other catch. When the Seahawks bring up penalty despairity or missed calls, this is how the nfl responds.

I disagree with your premise that thinking this somehow makes you a "conspiracy theorist".
The NFL is the ultimate "Reality TV show". And we've seen from "reality" TV shows how producers influence storylines to artificially create more "emotionally engaging" shows. No doubt Collinsworth and Co. were told that this was an opportunity to work an emotionally charged storyline and they better get their asses busy on it. It's all about emotional engagement, and the announcers' job is to keep fans on all sides emotionally engaged, and thus *watching*, regardless of what is happening on the field.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
AgentDib":7k884mem said:
The Hawks will never be national media darlings. Seattle is as far from ESPN headquarters as you can get, more NFL fans would rather watch a shootout than good defense, and our players have been outright antagonistic to the media (ADB, Marshawn, Sherman). On top of it we've had a huge amount of success and so they can't just ignore us.

The good news is that it doesn't matter. ESPN gets less relevant every day and our games will continue to be decided on the football field rather than off it.
With all due respect, IMO you are incorrect. The refs STOLE the game from Seattle against the Saints after Eastcoastbiased Sports Programming Network spent an entire week showing how the Falcons got screwed on Sherm's non-called DPI vs. Julio with the Pissburgh Stealers Football League (more commonly called the National Football League) adding to the bullshit by blatantly editing Julio's hands to Sherm's face non-call out of their video of the play. The result: 11 penalties against the Seahawks, 2 against the Saints. That is not deciding a game "on the football field" and furthermore may well have cost the Hawks a first round bye and hosting a game this coming weekend.

If you think ESPN and NFLN won't be showing both plays, the Sherm DPI without Julio's hands to the face of course and PRich's facemask ad nasuem this week you haven't been paying attention folks. If the Stealers Football League isn't "steering" results, it seems blatantly obvious these kinds of things are a huge influence on officials at the very least on a subconscious level.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":36px8dns said:
Win or lose, it never fails that Hawk fans complain about a referee conspiracy,media conspiracy, or both against the Hawks.

So in todays game, they went back after Nelson got hurt and pointed out that perhaps a penalty should have been called.

Aikman and Buck moved on with no further comment.

Explain why Collingsworth couldnt have handled it that way last night?

Now, they show Cobb pushing off for the hail mary catch and Aikman says, well, they never are going to call that.

Where is the weeks of whining from the media?

But yeah, its all in our heads.

olyfan63

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3bpvbgxn said:
It's going to make me sick but I have a feeling ESPN and NFLN are going to be showing that play and the Sherman-Julio play all week. It's like the media just can't let things go with our team.

I'd also second what a couple others said in that PRich's "grabbing" was essentially incidental contact and a byproduct of the DB grabbing him. Michaels, Collinsworth, Moss and whoever else this week never open their mouth if that's NE, Dallas, GBay, Pitt or the Giants.

Love it, this is awesome, the more schick the league stirs up, the better for the Seahawks. Embrace it.
To Falcons fans, just calmly say, "yeah, it serves your lame-ass cheater boy Julio Jones right for his illegal head slap a the start, and the non-PI-call was great payback for that." (The NFL of course censored the illegal Julio Jones hands to the face on Sherman from the version on their website)

Being the villain in the storyline is a great thing for the Seahawks. Embrace it. Now we just need the team to go out and play like bad-ass villains again in Atlanta. I'm hoping for at least 2 or 3 "controversial" uncalled PI non-penalties on Sherman involving Julio for the announcers to talk about during the game. How Sherman is getting away with mugging Julio. I think that's an awesome storyline. I want the announcers to repeatedly rub the viewers noses in it during the game. While the Hawks walk out with the win, "...because of the non-calls", and the ATL fans whine and scream about biased officiating until the start of next season. I'm hoping to hear the rest of the league media screech incessantly about the evil Seahawks and awful refs letting Seattle get away with murder. Sets up a high-ratings 'Hawks-'Boys game for the NFC Championship. Beautiful.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Giants yank Green Bay running back down by the facemask on 3rd and 1.

Aikman calmly says: gee, surprised they didnt call that.

Nothing more. No replays. No 27 minute narrative. No articles.

Wonder why that is?

rigelian

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1bys9040 said:

Wonder why that is?
It wasnt a scoring play, it was obvious when it happened and it was not off a spectacular catch. Three significant differences.

What I can't understand is why anyone cares. It's not like the officials intentionally didn't call it, they just missed it. Big deal.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think folks are getting pissed about "the narratives" and the "story lines" set up by the networks and the NFL.
Instead of letting the games stand on the games stand on their own merit, they feel they have to "artificially enhance" their product.

The NFL becoming the WWE, less sport and more entertainment. I wouldn't be surprised next week if an Atlanta player pulls out a steel chair next week and hits Russ over the head when the officials are conveniently not looking.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
rigelian":4hlei50c said:
Hawkpower":4hlei50c said:

Wonder why that is?
It wasnt a scoring play, it was obvious when it happened and it was not off a spectacular catch. Three significant differences.

What I can't understand is why anyone cares. It's not like the officials intentionally didn't call it, they just missed it. Big deal.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Which is why we as fans are wondering why it was one of the lead stories during and after the game.

My point exactly.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":fabvier1 said:
It was a missed call. Simple as that.

We don't need to get defensive about it. But at the same time, Lions fans don't need to "b*tch" about it like it would have changed the outcome.

It is what it is. Missed calls, they happen.

I have no issue saying it was a missed call. You are right. Simple as that. What annoys the hell out of me is the fallout and narrative that the league loves us and that the Seahawks are the ONLY team this happens too.

Look at today. There were a couple of missed facemask in the Pack / Giants game and Cobb pushed a defender in the back on the hail mary. Yet no people freaking out about it.

evergreen

Reaction score
With the refs on our side we'll be unbeatable!