Non face mask call on Richardson and the announcers

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Hawks will never be national media darlings. Seattle is as far from ESPN headquarters as you can get, more NFL fans would rather watch a shootout than good defense, and our players have been outright antagonistic to the media (ADB, Marshawn, Sherman). On top of it we've had a huge amount of success and so they can't just ignore us.

The good news is that it doesn't matter. ESPN gets less relevant every day and our games will continue to be decided on the football field rather than off it.

Sealake80

Reaction score
I love feeling like the announcers are against us. It gives me a chance to get all animated and shout at my TV. Seriously. Hahah

kobebryant

Reaction score
seabowl":3lwmijfa said:
Randy Moss's very first comment today was how the refs messed up last night multiple times and he hopes they don't influence the games today.

Look, there are penalties on every single play in every NFL game.

That's interesting, if true. I've never thought about it that way, I'll watch for that today to see.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
The best way to handle this is to shrug your shoulders and say, "so?"

If Super Bowl XL taught me anything it's that only losers and crap-stirring announcers complain about refs.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3hwm3b53 said:
capncrunch":3hwm3b53 said:
Yes. He did get away with one and it was discussed. Who cares. Collinsworth said something later like "the refs helped out the seahawks a bit, but that's not why the Lions lost. They lost because they could not stop the run." .

"but let's take another look at that uncalled facemask"

and again five minutes later

and again

and again

and again

How much you want to bet they show it again in the montage leading up to the Falcons game next week.

:pukeface:

And the Collinsworth had the gall to claim OPI on Richardson's second one-hander AFTER the replay clearly showed Richardson's arm being barred by the DB.

:pukeface:

No, this week they're going to show the "non-call" PI on Sherman at the end of the first game. You know, the one where Jones hit Sherman on the side of the head hard enough to knock him off balance at the beginning of the play.

Steve2222

Reaction score
This call is getting so blown out of proportion. There's missed calls like this every week.

captSE

Reaction score
It took me some time to figure out that PR caught the ball at all. I was jumping all over the place demanding a PI against Detroit.

Boohman14

Reaction score
It seems to me that Al Michaels has an issue with the Hawks in general. Collingsworth seems to be following the "forced narrative" but always seems to ultimately complement the Hawks. Aikman just loves to beat the bad call drum when we play. I can remember Buck actually contradicting Aikman in a game basically pointing out Aikman's bias.
But I gotta believe that the League goes out of it's way to show that the Hawks get beneficial calls to put to rest that Super Bowl Farce.
Marshawn had the Sports Media figured out and took the wise path.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":24s5pdcd said:
No, this week they're going to show the "non-call" PI on Sherman at the end of the first game. You know, the one where Jones hit Sherman on the side of the head hard enough to knock him off balance at the beginning of the play.

It will be both. You know. To establish the history of Seahawks "only winning because of bad calls".

Might even throw in the Immaculate Mary and the "ball punched out of the end zone" plays for good measure.

cymatica

Reaction score
The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say that national media guys are being told to do this. Look how Collinsworth out of the gate was pushing the narrative. He never noticed the facemask on the td...until 10 minutes later he brings it back up then won't shut up about it. All while flat out ignoring P-Rich getting facemasked on the other catch. When the Seahawks bring up penalty despairity or missed calls, this is how the nfl responds.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Again, I don't care that he got away with it. The defender was interfering with him. If the defender hadn't interfered, maybe Richardson wouldn't have had to acrobatically catch the ball with one hand and the face mask with the other. The defender created that situation, I'm glad it counted

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
It's going to make me sick but I have a feeling ESPN and NFLN are going to be showing that play and the Sherman-Julio play all week. It's like the media just can't let things go with our team.

I'd also second what a couple others said in that PRich's "grabbing" was essentially incidental contact and a byproduct of the DB grabbing him. Michaels, Collinsworth, Moss and whoever else this week never open their mouth if that's NE, Dallas, GBay, Pitt or the Giants.

sutz

Reaction score
Scorpion05":8wi4hnhl said:
Again, I don't care that he got away with it. The defender was interfering with him. If the defender hadn't interfered, maybe Richardson wouldn't have had to acrobatically catch the ball with one hand and the face mask with the other. The defender created that situation, I'm glad it counted
This ^ ^ ^ The "foul" that Collinsworth mentions in the clip is the pass interference by the defender, who hit Rich early with his back to the ball and his hands all over his chest, pulling him down. The fact that Rich's arm wrapped around the guy's head is more just the momentum of the hit than any attempt by him to get leverage on the guy.

It was a great catch, any way you slice it. I was one of the guys wondering what Rich was celebrating, too, as from the long view it wasn't clear. Alwasy great to get highlight reel stuff from the guys. :2thumbs:

kf3339

Reaction score
I just watch the game and drown out the sound. Why listen to some dimwits who don't really know a damn thing about the game?

Foghawk

Reaction score
kf3339":5yvuwegm said:
I just watch the game and drown out the sound. Why listen to some dimwits who don't really know a damn thing about the game?

+1

I didn't even realize it was a thing until seeing all the scuttlebutt on this board. :Dunno:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Actually them saying that Wilson deserved a block in the back penalty ticked me off even more. Maybe I am biased but it looked to me like Russ had him lined up then the defender turned his back on Russ. At any rate he hardly put a hit on him. It's a play that goes uncalled and unnoticed in pretty much every game.
But Collinsworth and Moss point it out so now the haters will be frothing at the mouth over that one too. Rolled my eyes at a meme I saw last night of the referee in a 12 Seahawk jersey.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2n26y5ek said:
Actually them saying that Wilson deserved a block in the back penalty ticked me off even more. Maybe I am biased but it looked to me like Russ had him lined up then the defender turned his back on Russ. At any rate he hardly put a hit on him. It's a play that goes uncalled and unnoticed in pretty much every game.
But Collinsworth and Moss point it out so now the haters will be frothing at the mouth over that one too. Rolled my eyes at a meme I saw last night of the referee in a 12 Seahawk jersey.

Agreed. That would've been such a ticky-tack call but Collinsworth couldn't help himself there. Expect any possible chance to put the Hawks down a notch to be jumped on by most national media.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
It was a missed call. Simple as that.

We don't need to get defensive about it. But at the same time, Lions fans don't need to "b*tch" about it like it would have changed the outcome.

It is what it is. Missed calls, they happen.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I saw it on the first replay.

Question is, it was a scoring play.
Why didn't the league officals see it.. it was very obvious
Why didn't the Lion's reviewer see it?

I'ts not the officials fault, it's why they have reviews after every scoring play.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
We had family over during the game, so much talking and kids running around we couldn't hear the announcers.

Made it so much more enjoyable, and we missed them pushing the 'Hawks get bailed out by the refs' narrative they were apparently chirping about all night.

Honestly I didn't know it was a big issue until later. So my advice, mute them!! :D :lol: